Looking for Books.

Ken Koellner

Oct 8, 1991, 5:03:32 PM10/8/91

I've not yet read any cyberpunk style SF. I'm going on vaca
Friday and would like to get a couple books to read on the plane. Can
someone recomment some titles?

Please include at least title and author so I have a chance of
finding them on the rack someone.

I'm leaving Friday so I need a response by Wednesday if I'm to
have a chance of finding something at local stores.
-Ken Koellner (k...@sw.stratus.com)
Disclaimer: The above writings are the ramblings of one human being
and have nothing what-so-ever to do with Stratus Computer Inc.

Draco the Neuromantic

Oct 8, 1991, 10:53:23 PM10/8/91
k...@kaos.sw.stratus.com (Ken Koellner) writes:

William Gibson-
Neuromancer (MUST read!)
Count Zero
Burning Chrome
Mona Lisa Overdrive

Bruce Sterling-
Crystal Express (at least _I_ think it's c-p)
Islands in the Net
Mirrorshades (edited by Sterling. Good anthology, IMHO)
/
Gibson/Sterling-
The Difference Engine

Greg Bear-
Queen of Angels
Blood Music
The Wind from a Burning Woman

This is by no way a definitive list. If you have room for three, four books
I'd recomend _Mirrorshades_, _Neuromancer_, _Mona Lisa Overdrive_, and _Wind
From a Burning Woman_. If you can only take one, I'd say _Mirrorshades_
if you like short works. If not, _N-mancer_.

Enjoy.

Julian Bleecker

Oct 9, 1991, 2:38:06 PM10/9/91

Here is, i'm pretty sure, another one that i have never seen anyone
in this group mention. Called "Empire of the Senseless" by Cathy
Acker, its bascially a re-write of Neuromancer but Molly is developed
much more and becomes central over Case. For the techheads out there,
you might not like it, but for the cyberpunks it is a must. We're
reading it (along with Neuromancer) in a class on Transgressions and
the Post Modern Novel. Its very lyrical, very PoMo and hence doesn't
read as "easily" as straight ahead CP-SciFi.
Disclaimer: It is very open with what some might consider "abusive"
language. But I say, read it anyway.

-julian HumanInterfaceTechnologyLab
UniversityofWashington
<whereboeingisinventingvirtualreality>