Pancho's Mex Buffet (Albuquerque?)

1 view

David Laro

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
ML <M...@nm.com> wrote:

: Gardunos is good. It is one of the few Mexican food places that actually has hot
: chile. Monroe's used to be good but don't know if it still is. The Pueblo Indian
: Cultural Center also used to have good food. Mike

Boy, I'd have to agree with your Gardunos suggestion. Every time I'm
in town, that's on my list. And there is a great B&B about four blocks
away that I love to visit.

David

David Laro

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
tndmsa <tnd...@mindspring.com> wrote:

: My wife and I ate at Garduno's at Winrock on the basis of a similarly
: misguided recommendation like the above. The food was terrible!

We are bound to disagree, aren't we? I've always found the food
there great.

Maybe you should stick to Pancho's?

: was unable to eat more than a few bites of either. I tasted some what she
: left uneaten and had to agree. We would never eat at Garduno's again.

Okay, so the lines will be somewhat shorter next time I'm in town? I
knew this would work out! :-)
david

tndmsa

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
David Laro wrote:

> We are bound to disagree, aren't we? I've always found the food
> there (Gardunos) great.

Well, considering that you are accustomed to eating in Texas it comes as
no suprise that you would you would look forward to eating at
Garduno's. ;-)

Maybe you should try some of Albuquerque's good restraunts. Naw, on
second thought, Texans deserve to go through life thinking that a
tortilla laid on top of some tasteless meat and then microwaved are what
enchiladas and mexican food is all about. ;-)

Besides, if you ever tasted good Mexican food, think how depressed you
would be about having to go back to Texas. ;-)

Tom Mesa

phx...@pop.phnx.uswest.net

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98

tndmsa wrote:

Probably true, but I get off on Texas bobba Q and some of the German sausage
found in places like New Braunfels. You can't pass through Texas without at
least one good dose of chicken fried steak....

Regards,

phx...@pop.phnx.uswest.net

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98

Steve Browne wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 00:16:11 -0600, tndmsa <tnd...@mindspring.com>

> wrote:
>
> >David Laro wrote:
> >>
> >> We are bound to disagree, aren't we? I've always found the food
> >> there (Gardunos) great.
> >>

> >Well, considering that you are accustomed to eating in Texas it comes as
> >no suprise that you would you would look forward to eating at
> >Garduno's. ;-)
> >
> >Maybe you should try some of Albuquerque's good restraunts. Naw, on
> >second thought, Texans deserve to go through life thinking that a
> >tortilla laid on top of some tasteless meat and then microwaved are what
> >enchiladas and mexican food is all about. ;-)
> >
> >Besides, if you ever tasted good Mexican food, think how depressed you
> >would be about having to go back to Texas. ;-)
> >
> >Tom Mesa
>

> I think we should all go to Mexico for a refresher course.
>
> Steve
> Stephen B. Browne
> sbr...@ix.netcom.com

Carry enough food to last you until you get a long way in. People and food
of the Northern Sonoran Desert are the poorest in the nation. Food gets
progressively better as you continue South....

David Laro

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
tndmsa <tnd...@mindspring.com> wrote:
: David Laro wrote:
: >
: > We are bound to disagree, aren't we? I've always found the food
: > there (Gardunos) great.
: >

: Well, considering that you are accustomed to eating in Texas it comes as
: no suprise that you would you would look forward to eating at
: Garduno's. ;-)

I'm accustomed to eating in good restaurants wherever i go, Alb
included. I've tried about 25 "Mexican" restaurants in Alb and I
find Gardunos (not the one you screwed up with) to be one of
the best.

maybe your experience was due to expressing your opinions in front
of the staff there...waiters can get even, you know? :-) I wonder,
did your food look like someone had....spit on it? Just wondering.

: Maybe you should try some of Albuquerque's good restraunts. Naw, on

: second thought, Texans deserve to go through life thinking that a
: tortilla laid on top of some tasteless meat and then microwaved are what
: enchiladas and mexican food is all about. ;-)

Never had anything like that except one time in Denver, Co. :-) Sure
not at Garduno's. even Placita is better than that.

: Besides, if you ever tasted good Mexican food, think how depressed you

: would be about having to go back to Texas. ;-)

You've finally gotten down to some real truth THERE! That part of
travelling to NM is the biggest bummer! I hate to head home. The
food there is great. I have heard before that the Garduno's you
mentioned was lousy. Why did YOU, bon vivant and man-about-town,
make such a lousy choice? I mean with all the great places you
speak of available to you? <grinning>

David

Molly Fide

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
In article <35BCF8D7...@pop.phnx.uswest.net>, phx...@pop.phnx.uswest.net says...

>Probably true, but I get off on Texas bobba Q and some of the German sausage
>found in places like New Braunfels. You can't pass through Texas without at
>least one good dose of chicken fried steak....

You meant Texas BUBBA Q didn't you. As for CFS,
yep, you're right. It's the All-Texan dish. But recently
I've discovered an even better one, IMO. Chicken
fried CHICKEN! Comes with white gravy and mashed
potatoes just like the steak but UNLIKE the steak
which usually is so tough you need teeth of iron to
rip into it, the chicken is fork-tender. Molly F.

J.E.D.

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
>Is that the one in S.A. that has such a local reputation? Hated that
>place...

Not really worth discussing since each person's tastes vary so greatly
and who can argue against what another person knows they like? For
example, I recently found out that Little Nellie's in Las Cruces, a place
that I consider to be decent, but as yuppified as they get (mostly a
university clientele), is in the words of one correspondent, "a hole in the
wall" with great authentic Mexican food. However, my own personal favorite,
which definitely IS about as "hole in the wall" as they come (Chopes), is
practically a Taco Bell. Though in my opinion one gets more out of the
Chope's experience if one eats in Eddie's bar next door with the mariachis.
The restaurant itself isn't very charming the way La Posta is.

Si Senor *used* to be a non-chain "hole in the wall", but has expanded
greatly in recent years and is, no doubt, suffering "chainitis" in some of
its locations.

Molly Fide

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
In article <ocev1.5947$K4.56...@news.giganews.com>, la...@shell1.texas.net says...

> even Placita is better than that.

Is that the one in S.A. that has such a local reputation?
Hated that place. Yuppy fare. When asking about where
to get good Mexican food in S.A. all the locals would
invariably recommend the place. The place I'm remembering
is on West or Blanco as I recall -- maybe on San Pedro.
Used to like the food in the older place on the plaza
in the Market Square there. But of course my favorite for
cockroach infested joints was Sombrero Rosa's at IH-10
and Wurzbach. Cheap too... Molly F.

Rafarquhar

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
>> even Placita is better than that.
>
>Is that the one in S.A. that has such a local reputation?

I suspect he/she meant La Placita in Old Town Albuquerque. The food there is
"New Mexican" and very good.

Maggie

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
snip snip

> and who can argue against what another person knows they like? For
> example, I recently found out that Little Nellie's in Las Cruces, a place
> that I consider to be decent, but as yuppified as they get (mostly a
> university clientele), is in the words of one correspondent, "a hole in the
> wall" with great authentic Mexican food. However, my own personal favorite,
> which definitely IS about as "hole in the wall" as they come (Chopes), is
> practically a Taco Bell. Though in my opinion one gets more out of the
> Chope's experience if one eats in Eddie's bar next door with the mariachis.

So, what do you mean it's like Taco Bell..the atmosphere or the food
What IS the bar next door like ? Thanks. We are new here and were
thinking about going there.

J.E.D.

Aug 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/3/98
Chope's was this old guy (now dead for two or three years) who ran the
typical hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant (i.e., more Mexican in style
than New Mexican) and as far as I know there is no Chope's #2 anywhere. The
restaurant itself is not that charming imo and I'm not sure if I'd even say
Chope's is *my* favorite food. But Eddy's place (the bar attached to Chope'
s and still called Chope's as well) has a lot of "ambience nouveau-
mexicaine et mexicaine" and can be a fun place to eat on Fridays or
Saturdays, especially later on if the mariachis who come over from Juarez
start making the rounds. However, after about 6 pm it can require a wait of
30 minutes or longer.

By the way, there's a new church going up in Alamogordo on Scenic Drive
with a Taco Bell motif. I suggested to my girlfriend who is Spanish that it
be called "Nuestra Senora del Taco." But in Spain, a "taco" refers
generically to all bad words rather than a type of food.

"If one Indian says to another, `My father is in trouble,' there
is no need for either to say another word; for the part of a son
in the matter is as unalterable and as entirely outside his will
as death. Those who have to express their feelings in hard cash
before they can know that they have any, command or have their
God command, `if you want to prosper and live long in the land
and be successful in business and make plenty of dollars, then
honor your father and mother...(the Indian) does not need to be
promised dollars or to be menaced with red hot tongs...'

from "The Carreta" by B. Traven