Heroes - a long one

Kelly

Sep 12, 2001, 9:51:31 PM9/12/01
Late last night I was watching TV. On one of the channels they were
interviewing a rescue worker. When asked why he was one, his answer was
simple "It is just what I do".

We have a habit of saying that kids today worship heroes that are unworthy,
and there are no real heroes to look up to. I think the events yesterday,
today, and however long it takes proves that we have plenty of heroes in our
mist. They may not have a video on MTV but what they do, or have done is
much more important.

Maybe we can sit back and reflect on their sacrifices for a moment. And
remember that this great country was built by people like them. The more
outside factions may try to knock us down, we will only be stronger. They
may have destroyed our buildings, but they have strengthened our spirit.

Here are just a few of our heroes. I apologize if the facts are a little
off, my mind can only take in so much.

- The passengers on the plane that crashed outside of Pittsburgh. Knowing
that they were facing certain death, they prevented countless others from
the same fate.

- A fireman who is missing, he went to the aid of others with 10 children at
home.

- A police officer who was stopping a woman and her two daughters from
getting close to the crash site. The girls wanted to find their father. He
said his wife worked in the WTC, but he was still there preventing others
from getting hurt in the rubble. On a happy note, the woman did eventually
find her husband.

- The nameless, faceless people who helped others try to escape. Their
stories may never be known, but their selfless deeds hopefully made it
possible for other to be back with the ones they love.

- The innocent people who were massacred, just for the simple reason that
they work working to make a living for their families.

- The NYPD, New York's Finest- We may not always agree with the police. But
they are brave men and women who daily put their life on the line so we can
have the life we sometimes take for granted.

- The NYFD, New York's Bravest - They just amaze me.

- All the volunteers, who came to help us out at our time of need. They
didn't come here because they have to, they wanted to.

- Every employee at every hospital who was on alert to help with the
wounded. Understaffed and overworked, they were there for the victims and
the families. Buddy, you are one of those heroes.
The best quote I heard was from local hospital the person said "we want to
more people, more people means more survivors".

- The firefighters and the police officers who were the first ones there.
Many of them are missing, and presumed dead.

- The people of the world who have joined us in facing our time of need.
Mostly our neighbor and friend, Canada, who let our flights land there. The
wonderful people who live there, that are providing shelter, food, and
comfort to the passengers who are in a state of shock about what is going on
back home.

- The people of this wonderful country. We may not agree on many things, but
in times of crisis we can and will pull together as one. Better and stronger
than ever.

- The people of New York City. The best place on earth in times of joy and
sorrow. We will take care of the living, mourn our dead, and rebuild. We are
survivors. We showed our best side in a time of still unimaginable
devastation.They tried to bring us to our knees, and forgot how strong we
are when we come together. I am proud to call NYC my home.

Kelly

LizzieZ

Sep 12, 2001, 10:33:41 PM9/12/01
Kelly,

This was tremendous. Thank you so much for taking the time to compose these
beautiful words. I know how terrifying things must be for you in NY right now.
You conveyed your thoughts extraordinarily. Thank you.

Liz

Jamie

Sep 12, 2001, 10:49:07 PM9/12/01
Thank you Kelly. Reading this brought tears once again. There are
countless heroes, and they are in my prayers as are the victims, and
friends and families of the victims. And in a sense we are all victims
of this senseless violence.

Jamie

Dixon Hayes

Sep 12, 2001, 10:52:49 PM9/12/01
What a beautiful post Kelly, I am in tears.Rhonda, I hope you put this link on
your site.

BTW, I heard that NYC's Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chief were among the dead.
I think something should be said about the fact they didn't send their men out
to a place they wouldn't go themselves.

And there's the transit cop who rode the rubble down to the ground from the
82nd floor and lived. Even better, the EMTs who struggled to rescue him and
keep him alive...

Dixon
===========
"Gomer, you get down there with them spiders and get to work!"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares:
http://www.geocities.come/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Dixon's Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/

MartiDave

Sep 13, 2001, 1:28:05 AM9/13/01
Kelly,
That was beautiful. Tommorrow night I am speaking at an interfaith community
healing service. My part of the program is to speak for the service personnel.
You have sapture their heroism well. Thank you.

Dave Spiegel

Kelly

Sep 13, 2001, 5:30:10 AM9/13/01

"Dixon Hayes" wrote

> What a beautiful post Kelly, I am in tears.Rhonda, I hope
you put this link on
> your site.
>
> BTW, I heard that NYC's Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chief
were among the dead.
> I think something should be said about the fact they
didn't send their men out
> to a place they wouldn't go themselves.
>
> And there's the transit cop who rode the rubble down to
the ground from the
> 82nd floor and lived. Even better, the EMTs who struggled
to rescue him and
> keep him alive...
>
> Dixon
> ===========

Thank you Dixon. Thank you for being there for me.

Kelly

Kelly

Sep 13, 2001, 5:30:09 AM9/13/01

"LizzieZ" wrote...

Thank you Liz.

Kelly

Kelly

Sep 13, 2001, 5:30:10 AM9/13/01

"MartiDave" wrote

Being Irish and a NYer your family is either in the police
or fire departments. My family has the cops in it. My cousin
Tommy is, thankfully, working in Brooklyn. I am not sure
where other cousins who are part of the NYPD are working.

One of my oldest friends has two brothers in law who are on
the job in the WTC area. I pray that them and those like
them are able to go home to their families with no harm when
their job is done.

Kelly

Kelly

Sep 13, 2001, 5:30:09 AM9/13/01

"Jamie" wrote

Thank you Jamie. I think you are right, in some ways we are
all victims.

Kelly

Anne

Sep 13, 2001, 8:10:42 AM9/13/01
Kelly, you have obviously captured what so many of us are feeling right now
with your words. Thank you so much for so eloquently sharing this with us.
Anne :-)
Class of 1980

D.Spiegel

Sep 13, 2001, 9:02:15 AM9/13/01
>BTW, I heard that NYC's Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chief were among the dead.
>
>I think something should be said about the fact they didn't send their men
>out
>to a place they wouldn't go themselves.

One of the Assistant Deputy Fire Chiefs, a Mr. Feehan has family in the
community that I pastor in. He died a hero on Tuesday Morning. His family
said that he wouldn't have thought of his own safety, he would have just done
his job. I may meet the family tonight at the community prayer service, I am
not sure what I will say.

Dave Spiegel

Sandy

Sep 13, 2001, 11:24:49 AM9/13/01
It's reading and hearing things like this that make us have the courage to move
on....thanks Kelly :)

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Dawna

Sep 14, 2001, 4:47:14 AM9/14/01
From Buddy:

To Kelly and the rest of the group, I am humbled and in awe of that post.
It was so eloquent and so on the money. I don't know that I'm a hero
though; I'm just a New Yorker doing what New York guys do.

On Wednesday morning, I went to give blood after work. I waited two and a
half hours in a line of several hundred to give a pint of blood because
someone might need it. Once I got in the door, it took another hour and
half before they put a needle in my arm. I was tired and exhausted from
work, but this is what I had to do to play a small part in our ulitmate
eventual victory. I encourage all members of the group, if you care
anything about your countrymen, anywhere inside this country, go to your Red
Cross and donate a pint of blood., because even if they have enough here in
NY to tide us over, they still need it where you live. It could be for a
mother who has just given birth, it could be for a son in a car accident, it
could be for a gunhot victim, or it could have been one of the hundred of
firemen and police in the WTC. But someone needs something that costs you
nothing and that you have plenty of. So when you look at the flag, and you
see the red, remember the blood that was shed so you could have that
freedom, and donate a pint of blood.

And to our northern cousins . . . I believe Canadians have blood too.

Buddy
from Brooklyn

BD/dwn

Nanc

Sep 14, 2001, 6:19:34 PM9/14/01
Thanks Kelly. This message is beautiful. Thank God for all of our American
heroes.

Tiny Dancer

Sep 14, 2001, 9:53:16 PM9/14/01
And so the word went out from "Dawna" <da...@dakotacom.net>:

>From Buddy:
>
>To Kelly and the rest of the group, I am humbled and in awe of that post.
>It was so eloquent and so on the money. I don't know that I'm a hero
>though; I'm just a New Yorker doing what New York guys do.

Which makes you a hero these days, Buddy, as you always are to us!
Reminds me of one of the many press conferences George Pataki and
Rudy Giuliani had on Wednesday, I believe (they had so many, bless 'em).
George talked about going to one of the hospitals and talking to one of the
exhausted firefighters being treated for cuts and having his eyes washed out.
He thanked him for all his hard work and the guy said in his best New Yawk
accent, "Whaddya expect? I'm a New Yorker." Pretty much sums it up.

>On Wednesday morning, I went to give blood after work. I waited two and a
>half hours in a line of several hundred to give a pint of blood because
>someone might need it. Once I got in the door, it took another hour and
>half before they put a needle in my arm. I was tired and exhausted from
>work, but this is what I had to do to play a small part in our ulitmate
>eventual victory. I encourage all members of the group, if you care
>anything about your countrymen, anywhere inside this country, go to your Red
>Cross and donate a pint of blood., because even if they have enough here in
>NY to tide us over, they still need it where you live. It could be for a
>mother who has just given birth, it could be for a son in a car accident, it
>could be for a gunhot victim, or it could have been one of the hundred of
>firemen and police in the WTC. But someone needs something that costs you
>nothing and that you have plenty of. So when you look at the flag, and you
>see the red, remember the blood that was shed so you could have that
>freedom, and donate a pint of blood.
>
>And to our northern cousins . . . I believe Canadians have blood too.

Good on ya, hun, and, yes, we certainly do. There are long waits at our
blood donor clinics, people are coming out of the woodwork. One couple
from Germany was stranded here in Toronto when their flight was diverted.
Rather than staying at their hotel they came down to City Hall and waited
through a four hour long lineup to donate blood. "We just had to do something
to help."

And, if you caught any of the memorial today in Ottawa, you know we're all
behind you. Up to 80,000 people gathered on Parliament Hill for our first
National Day of Mourning since '67 (for Governor General George Vanier):

http://www.canoe.ca/NationalTicker/CANOE-wire.Terrorist-Cda-Day-Of-Mourning.html

A couple of pics from the service:

http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSAttack010914/photo2.html
http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSAttack010914/photo7.html

And the best one I found to describe it, an American and a Canadian flag
tied together (I saw quite a few of these in the crowd):

http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSAttack010914/photo8.html

As I said in another thread, it was the release I so desperately needed as
it felt like I wept right along with the entire nation.

BTW, this is one of the threads I've added to the site's postings page through
Kelly's beautiful opening. I haven't had the chance to thank you for doing such
a wonderful job speaking for me and many others here, I'm sure. I don't need
to turn on the TV, I can see the best NY has to offer right here.

Cheers,

TD

When you're weary, feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all
I'm on your side
from Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

For a good time call
http://the70s.cjb.net

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd