OT: Let this not be a temporary thing...

WiNK

Sep 14, 2001, 2:41:28 PM9/14/01
I remember when I was little...maybe in my pre-teens.....being embarrassed
by my father's patriotism. He was a big fan of the American flag.....the
bald eagle....anything pertaining to the red, white and blue! He even went
so far as thinking he should put up a big flag pole in front of our family
home......and have the flag flying every day of the week. The thought of it
made me want to move to a different house! How embarrassing that would
be!!!!! A flag in front of our house!!!!!!!!

My dad has since died....in fact, a lot of that patriotism I would guess
went with him. And now I am an adult....an adult who doesn't own a
flag....who has never flown one on Memorial Day, or Independence Day, or any
of those holidays we are "supposed to" fly a flag. Yet, today I feel
compelled to fly one....as do many Americans. But I just have to
wonder....why? Why is it only in times of crisis we decide to band
together...to unite as "one nation under God?" Don't get me wrong...I am
overwhelmed by this....touched by people rallying together, lending a hand
to each other, flying their flags proudly. Yet, shouldn't it be every day?
I wonder....though we will never forget the deep sorrow, the tragedy that
shook these United States on September 11, 2001.....it will be forever
burned into our hearts.....we will forget this unity??? Will we, when time
has passed, roll up those flags and put them away, along with that patriotic
spirit and those outstretched hands that touch each American? Will we soon
stop saying "God Bless America" when the pain is not so deep? "God Bless
America" is being tossed around as easily as "Merry Christmas," even by
those who don't believe in God or have barely given him a "Hello, and how
are You?" Shouldn't a blessing and a prayer for our nation be something we
give every day..... every hour that we are blessed to be living here?

Today I pray that we never lose sight of this united front......and the
things that matter most: Our families, our country, our patriotism, and
God's blessings........ let it not only be in times of crisis that we reach
out to others and pray for God's strength and courage. Let it be every day.

Nanc

Sep 14, 2001, 6:15:56 PM9/14/01
Nadine I agree with you wholeheartedly. This whole thing has made me realize
not to bicker about little things, especially with the people I love the
most. I don't own a big flag to fly outside the house. My father also passed
away. Because he was a veteran there was a flag on his coffin which was
folded appropriately and given to my mother. She gave it to my brother
because he was the youngest and the only boy. My dad was so proud to be a
Marine. I didn't appreciate his patriotism at the time either. Now I do and
I'm getting myself one of those flags.......
Nancy

Dixon Hayes

Sep 14, 2001, 7:36:52 PM9/14/01
My short answer is...people tend to take advantage of things when they have as
much freedom as we do...

Dixon
===========
"Gomer, you get down there with them spiders and get to work!"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares:
http://www.geocities.come/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Dixon's Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/

WiNK

Sep 16, 2001, 3:36:13 PM9/16/01
My post was really just meant to be a tiny, mild protest to bandwagoners and
hypocrites....nothing more, nothing less. I just held my tongue a
bit............

Our government leaders are the first to call for a nation to pray during
times like this.....and the first to tell us not to. Etc., etc....ad
nauseum.

Nadine

The Wanderer

Sep 18, 2001, 1:53:35 PM9/18/01
Amen babe.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"WiNK" <elvis...@yahoopride.com> wrote in message

The Wanderer

Sep 18, 2001, 2:01:18 PM9/18/01
Not at all Nadine. They are telling YOU to pray-on your own. They are just
trying not to endorse any one idea of who God is or how to speak with him,
or serve him. They are relying on "your" faith as an individual, indeed all
of our faith as individuals, to reach out to our particular deities. See, if
they condone or endorse any particular belief system, god, or prayer as a
national institution of "faith" then you will inevitably leave out someone
in this "inclusive society". You can not endorse a christian basis because
we currently have a large muslim population, and a large Jewish population.
You cant make THEM feel like mthey are not part of US. So we ask YOU to
pray. We dont have a state idea of a belief system because to do so would be
UN-American.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"WiNK" <elvis...@yahoopride.com> wrote in message

recsec

Sep 20, 2001, 10:22:56 PM9/20/01
My flag is flying & has been since 9-11-01. Well as of this writing it is
not out on my balcony cause we are having a lightning storm & the pole the
flag is on would just be a lightning rod. But after the storms it will be
right back out there. With a light shining on it too. I fly it on Memorial &
Veterans Days, July 4th, Labor Day & in times of military action(s). Also on
the back window of my truck is a peice of paper that says God Bless America.
I can't find a small flag for the antenna so that's why I have that. I have
had this flag for goin on 6 years now. And it is an American made U.S. flag.
Not the Made In China version I originally had & had to replace. Hehe. But
it *IS* one that was made in San Fran now. :-)
Billy

rach

Sep 20, 2001, 10:59:00 PM9/20/01
I have seen a few US flags on this side of the boarder too. That and a LOT
of this insert from the paper last week... the US flag and our flag side by
side with "We are with you" in big letters underneath. You see a truck load
of them in everybody's window every day. The guy that runs the coffee place
in my building has three!

--

rach
"cheer up, my brother, come live in the sunshine - we'll understand it all
recsec <rec...@flash.net> wrote in message

rach

Sep 20, 2001, 11:00:12 PM9/20/01
Oh yeah... and something I told Kelly that she got a kick out of...the
headline of the Toronto Sun last Wednesday had the pic of the towers in
trouble and in bigger than big letters BASTARDS! Right on!

--

rach
"cheer up, my brother, come live in the sunshine - we'll understand it all
by and by..."

The Wanderer

Sep 21, 2001, 2:09:26 PM9/21/01
It nis times like these that we get to know who are friends are. We truly
are cousins across the border. Never forget that our lives and fortunes are
tied in a knot that can never be cut. When to bomb goes off here:.....Canada
will also be the recipient of the deadly fallout. I hope no one is stupid
enough to think that the deadly breeze of bio-agents will stop at a manmade
invisible border.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"rach" <trist...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Nazter@4200

Sep 21, 2001, 8:34:33 PM9/21/01
"rach" <trist...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<t9yq7.29616$Zb4.2...@news20.bellglobal.com>...

> I have seen a few US flags on this side of the boarder too. That and a LOT
> of this insert from the paper last week... the US flag and our flag side by
> side with "We are with you" in big letters underneath. You see a truck load
> of them in everybody's window every day. The guy that runs the coffee place
> in my building has three!
>
> --
>
> rach

Rach, the main reason why newspapers have "flag inserts" is because
most stores have run out of stock of U.S. flags (you know that
already, right?). Lots of people suggested that the newspapers
(colored ones, that is) insert the U.S. flag so people could cut it
and at least have a copy. As for HOW people use the flag insert, I
haven't a clue. I know it's not a good idea to let it hang outside of
your car, though because of obvious reasons...

I did get creative after hearing this in the news, though. I searched
for "American flag" in the net and found a small copy. I printed two
copies, cut them both, and placed them on each side of my passenger
windows (inside, of course) with a double sided tape :-)

-Naz

LizzieZ

Sep 22, 2001, 12:47:36 AM9/22/01
>I did get creative after hearing this in the news, though. I searched
>for "American flag" in the net and found a small copy. I printed two
>copies, cut them both, and placed them on each side of my passenger
>windows (inside, of course) with a double sided tape :-)

I've seen several sites with links in them specifically for printable flags.
Many of the sites for Chicago TV stations and newspapers had them -- here's one
from our ABC station, for example:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/091801_ns_usflag.html

Liz

Sandy

Sep 22, 2001, 1:44:15 PM9/22/01
Hey thanks Lizzie! :)....Printing out as we speak.

I have a wall-hanging on my front door of a weaved fage. It says God Bless
America on the top. I got it years ago....sure came in handy!

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78