On This Date - September 3

Tiny Dancer

Sep 3, 2001, 1:13:03 PM9/3/01
Celebrating birthdays today:

Tom Glazer (singer/songwriter, The Do-Re-Mi Children's Chorus, "On Top Of Spaghetti") - 87
Kitty Carlisle-Hart (singer/actress/panelist, "To Tell The Truth") - 86 (87?)
Helen Wagner (Nancy Hughes McClaskey, "As The World Turns") - 83
Mort Walker (cartoonist, "Beetle Bailey", "Hi & Lois") - 78
Mary Grace Canfield (Ralph Monroe, "Green Acres"; Mrs. Hanley, "Family") - 77
Hank Thompson (country Hall of Famer, "The Wild Side Of Life", see notes) - 76
Anne Jackson (Kathy, "Lovers and Other Strangers", Eli Wallach's wife, see notes) - 75
Bill Flemming (sportscaster, "ABC's Wide World of Sports") - 75
Eileen Brennan (Capt. Doreen Lewis, "Private Benjamin", see notes) - 66
Pauline Collins (Sarah Moffat/Delice, "Upstairs, Downstairs", see notes) - 61
Al Jardine (Hall Of Famer, The Beach Boys, "Good Vibrations" etc.) - 59
Valerie Perrine (Honey Bruce, "Lenny", see notes) - 58
George Biondo (Steppenwolf, "Born to Be Wild") - 56
Mike Harrison (Spooky Tooth, "Tobacco Road", "Better By You, Better Than Me") - 56
Eric Bell (Thin Lizzy, "Whiskey In The Jar", "The Boys Are Back In Town") - 54
Donald Brewer (drummer, Grand Funk Railroad, "We're An American Band") - 53
Ray Easterling (NFL, Atlanta Falcons) - 52
Steve Jones (The Sex Pistols, "God Save The Queen") - 46 (May 3?)
Charlie Sheen (Carlos Irwin Estevez) (Martin Sheen's son, Emilio Estevez's bro) - 36
Chabeli Iglesias (Julio's daughter) - 30
Cooper Bradford Hefner (Kimberly & Hugh's son) - 10
Vincent Van Patten Jr. (Betsy and Vincent's son) - 6

Notes: Hank Thompson sold over 30 million records and was one of Bob
Dylan's major influences. Some of his songs: "(I've Got A) Humpty Dumpty
Heart", "Whoa Sailor", "Crying In The Deep Blue Sea", "Wake Up, Irene",
"Waiting In The Lobby Of Your Heart", "Rub-A-Dub-Dub", "Breakin' The Rules",
"Honky Tonk Girl", "The Blackboard Of My Heart", "Breakin' In Another Heart",
"She's Just A Whole Lot Like You", "Oklahoma Hills", "Smokey The Bar",
"Where Is The Circus?", "The Older The Violin, The Sweeter The Music",
and, appropriately, "Mr. Honky Tonk, The King Of Western Swing".

Anne Jackson's other roles: "Zigzag" (Jean Cameron); "The Typists" (Sylvia);
"84 Charing Cross Road" (Helene Hanff); "Nasty Habits" (Sister Mildred);
"The Family Man" (Maggie Madden); "The Bell Jar" (Dr. Nolan); and "The
Shining" (Doctor).

Eileen Brennan's Oscar-nominated role as Capt. Doreen Lewis in "Private
Benjamin" just barely squeaks into the era but she did a lot of work in the
late '60s and '70s starting with a regular role on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In".
Other roles: "The Last Picture Show" (Genevieve); "The Sting" (Billie);
"Daisy Miller" (Mrs. Walker); "At Long Last Love" (Elizabeth); "Murder
by Death" (Tess Skeffington); "All That Glitters" (Ma Packer); "The Cheap
Detective" (Betty DeBoop); "FM" (The Mother); "13 Queens Boulevard"
(Felecia Winters); and "A New Kind of Family" (Kit Flanagan).

Pauline Collins (Sarah, "Upstairs, Downstairs") also hit it big playing the
title role in 1989's "Shirley Valentine".

Valerie Perrine won Best Actress at the Cannes Film Festival and was
nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for her frank, accomplished performance
as comedian Lenny Bruce's stripper wife Honey Bruce in 1974's "Lenny".
Other roles you may recall: "Slaughterhouse-Five" (Montana Wildhack);
"The Last American Hero" (Marge); "W.C. Fields and Me" (Carlotta Monti);
"Superman" (Eve Teschmacher); "The Electric Horseman" (Charlotta);
and "Can't Stop the Music" (Samantha Simpson).

Born on this date in 1922, producer/director, screen/scriptwriter Burt Kennedy
("How The West Was Won", "The Killer Inside Me", "Support Your Local
Gunfighter"; "Combat!"). He died this past Feb. from cancer at age 78.

Born in 1934, blues singer/guitarist/songwriter Freddie King ("Have You
Ever Loved a Woman", "Highway", "Woman Across the River"). He died
in 1976 at age 42.

On this date in 1962, poet e. e. cummings (Edward Estlin) died at age 67.

In 1970, Al "Blind Owl" Wilson, the lead singer of Canned Heat ("Goin' Up
The Country"), died at age 27 of a drug overdose.

Also in 1970, future Hall-of-Fame NFL coach Vince Lombardi died at age 57.
Lombardi is recognized as one of the greatest coaches in NFL history, taking
over a Green Bay Packer club, that in 1959 lost 10 games and in one year,
guided them to the Western Division Title. He won championships in 1962,
'62, '65, 66 and was the winner of the first two Super Bowls in NFL history.
The Super Bowl trophy is named after him.

In 1982, Frederic Dannay died at age 76. You may known him better by
his pen name, Ellery Queen.

Also in 1982, actor Michael Thoma (Dr. Greg Maxwell, "Eight is Enough";
Mr. Crandall, "Fame", TV series) died at age 55.

In 1985, songwriter Johnny D. Marks ("Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer")
died at age 75.

In 1991, producer/director Frank Capra died at age 94. Not quite in our era
(his last flick was "Pocketful of Miracles" in '61) but most of us have enjoyed
his movies over the years, including the Christmas classic "It's A Wonderful
Life". Some of his other noteables: "It Happened One Night" (first film to win
all five top Oscars), "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" (Best Director Oscar), "Lost
Horizon", "You Can't Take It With You" (Best Director & Best Picture Oscars),
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", "Meet John Doe", "Arsenic and Old Lace",
and "A Hole in the Head". He was awarded the American Film Institute Life
Achievement Award in 1982. Capra's 1971 autobiography, "The Name Above
the Title," is one of the most entertaining books ever written about the movie
industry-compulsively readable though, as it turns out, fanciful. (In 1992 Joseph
McBride effectively rebutted that book with an exhaustively detailed biography,
"Frank Capra: The Catastrophe of Success.") He lived long enough to see a
new generation rediscover his work, but it was a bittersweet irony that America
fell in love with "It's A Wonderful Life" because the film fell into the public domain,
running on TV during the Christmas holidays. It brought him no income, and was
colorized against his wishes.

In 1994, R 'n' B singer Major Lance ("Hey Little Girl", "The Matador", "Rhythm",
"Investigate", "Ain't No Soul (In These Rock 'N' Roll Shoes)", "Follow The Leader",
"Stay Away From Me", "Must Be Love Coming Down") died at age 53 from a
heart attack.

In 2000, screen/scriptwriter Edward Anhalt ("QB VII", "Jeremiah Johnson")
died at age 86 from cancer.

Chart Toppers

1961 - Wooden Heart - Joe Dowell
Michael - The Highwaymen
You Don't Know What You've Got (Until You Lose It) - Ral Donner
Tender Years - George Jones

1969 - Honky Tonk Women - The Rolling Stones
Sugar, Sugar - The Archies
Put A Little Love In Your Heart - Jackie DeShannon
A Boy Named Sue - Johnny Cash

1977 - Best Of My Love - Emotions
I Just Want To Be Your Everything - Andy Gibb
(Your Love Has Lifted Me) Higher and Higher - Rita Coolidge
Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue - Crystal Gayle

1985 - The Power Of Love - Huey Lewis & The News
St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion) - John Parr
Freeway Of Love - Aretha Franklin
Love Is Alive - The Judds

In 1956, Elvis Presley's "Don't Be Cruel" backed with "Hound Dog" was in
its fourth week at #1 in the United States; it would remain the top single for
a total of 11 weeks.

In 1957, the Dodgers play their last game in Jersey City, as Don Drysdale
loses to Philadelphia 3-2 in twelve innings. Brooklyn ends with an 11-4 mark
in New Jersey.

In 1962, The Trans-Canada Highway officially opens, stretching over 4800
miles from coast to coast.

In 1966, Donovan peaked at #1 on the US singles chart with "Sunshine
Superman". In the UK, "Yellow Submarine"/"Eleanor Rigby" by The Beatles
peaked at #1.

In 1970, the British quintet The Dave Clark Five, known for such hits as
"Glad All Over," "I Like It Like That," "Over and Over" and "Catch Us If
You Can," disbanded.

Also 1970, in Italy, Arthur Brown, who had a top hit with "Fire" in 1968, was
arrested after igniting his helmet and stripping naked during a concert.

Also in 1970, Billy Williams of the Chicago Cubs asked to be kept out of the
lineup, snapping his National League record of 1,117 consecutive games
played. His record would be broken in 1983 by Steve Garvey.

In 1971, "I'm Still Waiting" by Diana Ross peaked at #1 in the UK charts and
"Uncle Albert"/"Admiral Halsey" by Paul & Linda McCartney peaked at #1
on the US charts.

Also in 1971, songstress Carole King had the #1 album for the 12th week in
a row as her "Tapestry" LP remained firmly entrenched in the top spot.
It would remain there for three more weeks. Tracks: title track, "I Feel The
Earth Move", "So Far Away", "It's Too Late", "Home Again", "Beautiful",
"Way Over Yonder", "You've Got A Friend", "Where You Lead", "Will
You Love Me Tomorrow?", "Smackwater Jack", "(You Make Me Feel
Like) A Natural Woman".

In 1973, David Pearson came in second at the Southern 500 Stock Car race
at Darlington, S.C., becoming the fifth $1,000,000 winner in auto racing history.
Other drivers to make the big bucks at the time were Richard Petty, A.J. Foyt,
Al Unser, Sr. and Mario Andretti.

Also in 1973, Billie Jean King bows out of her match with Julie Heldman due
to the flu in the U.S. Open Tennis Tournament.

Also in 1973, The Rolling Stones' single "Angie" was released.

Also in 1973, the comic strip "Heathcliff" debuted.

In 1974, Giants pitcher John Montefusco makes his major league debut,
homers in his first official time at bat, and hurls nine innings of relief to earn
a 9-5 victory over the Dodgers.

Also in 1974, NBA guard Oscar Robinson retires.

In 1975, Steve Garvey begins his NL record 1,207 consecutive game streak.

In 1976, the unmanned U.S. spacecraft Viking II landed on Mars on Utopia
to take the first close-up, color photographs of the planet's surface. Viking
spacecrafts' tests strengthen the hint of life on Mars.

Also in 1976, "Dancing Queen" by Abba peaked at #1 on the UK charts
and "You Should Be Dancing" by The Bee Gees peaked at #1 in the US.

In 1977, Elvis Presley had his 17th and final UK No.1 with "Way Down".

Also in 1977, Sadaharu Oh hits the 756th home run of his career to surpass
Hank Aaron's total and make him the most prolific home run hitter in professional
baseball history.

In 1978, Pope John Paul I was installed as the 264th pontiff of the Roman
Catholic Church.

In 1982, the 3 day US Festival, California took place featuring, Tom Petty,
Fleetwood Mac, The Police, The Cars, Talking Heads, The Ramones,
The B52's, and Jackson Browne. Tickets cost $37.50, the festival was
bankrolled by Steven Wozniak, Apple Computers founder.

In 1989, Chris Evert defeats 15 year-old Monica Seles 6-0,6-2 for her 101st
and last U.S. Open singles victory.

In 1990, Jerry Lewis dedicated his 25th Labor Day telethon to raise funds
for the fight against muscular dystrophy to the late Sammy Davis. Jerry
Lewis' 25th Muscular Dystrophy telethon raises $44,172,186.

1991, Ike Turner was released from prison, having served 18 months of
a four year prison term, (Ike had been arrested 10 other times and in an
interview with "Variety" claimed to have spent over $11 million on cocaine).

And that's the way it was on September 3!

Cheers,

TD

On top of spaghetti
All covered with cheese
I lost my poor meatball
When somebody sneezed
from Tom Glazer's "On Top Of Spaghetti"

For a good time call
http://the70s.cjb.net

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

recsec

Sep 3, 2001, 3:01:47 PM9/3/01

"Tiny Dancer" <ti...@idirect.com> wrote in message

> Notes: Hank Thompson sold over 30 million records and was one of Bob
> Dylan's major influences. Some of his songs: "(I've Got A) Humpty Dumpty
> Heart", "Whoa Sailor", "Crying In The Deep Blue Sea", "Wake Up, Irene",
> "Waiting In The Lobby Of Your Heart", "Rub-A-Dub-Dub", "Breakin' The
Rules",
> "Honky Tonk Girl", "The Blackboard Of My Heart", "Breakin' In Another
Heart",
> "She's Just A Whole Lot Like You", "Oklahoma Hills", "Smokey The Bar",
> "Where Is The Circus?", "The Older The Violin, The Sweeter The Music",
> and, appropriately, "Mr. Honky Tonk, The King Of Western Swing".

And of course his biggest hit A Six Pack To Go!!! Hey Mr. Bartender, Please
Don't Be So Slow, I Got Time For One More Round & Six Pack To Go.

> Also in 1977, Sadaharu Oh hits the 756th home run of his career to surpass
> Hank Aaron's total and make him the most prolific home run hitter in
professional
> baseball history.

O please. Put him in one of our parks against our pitchers & let's see how
he does.
Billy

Dixon Hayes

Sep 3, 2001, 8:43:23 PM9/3/01
Rhonda wrote:

>Mary Grace Canfield (Ralph Monroe, "Green Acres"; Mrs. Hanley, "Family") - 77

How did I miss her on "Family"? I never knew she was on there. I loved her as
Ralph (especially when we found out she had a crush on Mr. Kimble), and she was
also on one of the funniest "Andy Griffith Show" episodes ever (the one where
she's Thelma Lou's cousin and Gomer's date for a dance). I had the pleasure of
meeting her a couple of years ago here in Alabama...she now lives in New
England.

Dixon
===========
"Gomer, you get down there with them spiders and get to work!"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares:
http://www.geocities.come/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Dixon's Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/

Jackie McElroy

Sep 5, 2001, 11:19:25 PM9/5/01
On Mon, 03 Sep 2001 17:13:03 GMT,
Tiny Dancer <ti...@idirect.com> wrote:

A bunch of stuff that happened on September 3rd. For a smaller list of
some things that happened on that date, check out this URL:

http://sites.netscape.net/mcjackietron/minifaq.html

Scoll down a short way to the section entitled: Did anything else
happen on September 3rd?

-jackie

Jackie McElroy
Kissimme, Florida USA
(I speak for me and only me.)
http://www.reedycreekdispatch.webservepro.com
http://sites.netscape.net/mcjackietron/
mailto:mcjack...@earthlink.net

LizzieZ

Sep 6, 2001, 10:39:41 AM9/6/01
>A bunch of stuff that happened on September 3rd. For a smaller list of
>some things that happened on that date, check out this URL:
>
> http://sites.netscape.net/mcjackietron/minifaq.html
>
>Scoll down a short way to the section entitled: Did anything else
>happen on September 3rd?

Fascinating site, Jackie! And I hope you had an enjoyable birthday, as well.
:-)

Liz

Tiny Dancer

Sep 8, 2001, 7:49:08 AM9/8/01
And so the word went out from mcjack...@earthlink.net (Jackie McElroy):

> On Mon, 03 Sep 2001 17:13:03 GMT,
> Tiny Dancer <ti...@idirect.com> wrote:
>
>A bunch of stuff that happened on September 3rd. For a smaller list of
>some things that happened on that date, check out this URL:
>
> http://sites.netscape.net/mcjackietron/minifaq.html
>
>Scoll down a short way to the section entitled: Did anything else
>happen on September 3rd?

Well, sheesh, ya gotta speak up around here and don't be so subtle!
Happy belated birthday, Jackie, hope you had a sunshiny day! :-)
I've now added you to the official birthday list so we won't miss this
monumental day next year.

Cheers,

TD

It's Johnny's birthday
And we would like to wish him all the very best ...
It's Johnny's birthday
And it's so nice to have you back to be our guest
from George Harrison's "It's Johnny's Birthday"

The Wanderer

Sep 8, 2001, 8:10:04 AM9/8/01
Happy Birthday, Jackie.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"Tiny Dancer" <ti...@idirect.com> wrote in message

Dixon Hayes

Sep 8, 2001, 1:01:22 PM9/8/01
(trips over vacuum cleaner, runs into kitchen, shoves candle into pecan twirl,
lights it off the stove--c'mon stove eye, hurry up and light!; runs so fast I
arrive outside the space-time continuum, so I am present on Jackie's birthday
but the pecan twirl is gone because it hasn't been bought yet; sigh, runs back
to grab another one to hand over late)

Sorry, Jackie, but hope you had a happy birthday!

Jackie McElroy

Sep 8, 2001, 11:41:44 PM9/8/01
On 06 Sep 2001 14:39:41 GMT,
liz...@aol.comedy (LizzieZ) wrote:

> Fascinating site, Jackie!

Thanks. It actually started out as a place I could post pictures of
the grandkids so my wife and I could share them with family members
and friends who are not in Florida. I just kept adding to it and have
other things I want to put on it but just haven't yet.

> And I hope you had an
> enjoyable birthday, as well.

Very enjoyable, thanks to all who mentioned it. It fell on a holiday
this year. I had to work, but the department pays us double-time and a
half for working a holiday, so that was a good b-day present. My wife
and son dropped by the job with a cake to share with the other folks
who had to work the holiday.

It was a low key day but nice.