China Air - Unbelievable Flying Condition - 3 Bad Engines

Message has been deleted

Dr. Klaus Eimert

Feb 10, 2003, 5:31:41 AM2/10/03
smoothgo...@hotmail.com (Ribes cynosbati) wrote in
news:b64f3922.03020...@posting.google.com:

> amp_sp...@yahoo.com (amp_spamfree) wrote in message
>
> Thank J. Yuan for bringing this discussion into my attention.
> Basically I am not a reader for rec.travel.air, but I would advise
> keeping political issues away from rec.travel.* hierarchy.
>
>> "devil" <de...@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>> > On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 01:03:37 +0000, amp_spamfree wrote:
>> > Hmm..
>> >
>> > Pot, kettle...
>>
>> You said:
>>
>> "If it's China Airlines, then it's not from China."
>>
>> I pointed out some people wouldn't agree. You persisted, I said -
>> ASK THE UN.
>
> You need to define "China" in "from China" above. Different people
> and different organizations (United Nations included) lead to
> different answers. One simple sentence
>
> "Hongkong is a part of China"
>
> can lead to "yes" and "no" with both answers being right, again,
> depending on how you define "China" above.
>
>> Well, here it is, the link to the list of countries recognized by
>> other governments as being countries. Taiwan does NOT appear on the
>> list. They have asked but been refused membership because they are
>> NOT recognized as a country.
>>
>> http://www.un.org/Overview/unmember.html
>
> Is Palestine there too?
>
> And this check means you will find Swiss not a country (not being
> a U.N. member) until recently.
>
>> Taiwan is not officially recognized as a country by the United
>> Nations, United States, or most of the international community.
>>
>> http://geography.miningco.com/library/maps/bltaiwan.htm
>
> What you said applies to Arafat's Palestine, doesn't it?
>
>> If you recognize it as a country, that is your prerogative and it
>> constitutes an opinion. The rest of the world does not.
>
> It is also up to you not to recognize Republic of China, or Taiwan, or
> Chinese Taipei, or "Taiwan, China", or any other names you want to
> use, as a country. You only need to tell us what organization/agency
> you need to apply visas from when you want to visit Taiwan.
>
>> I bring facts, you express opinions - it hardly is a pot and a kettle
>> analogy.
>>
>> And no, a smiley doesn't make your arrogance any less offensive. I
>> don't have a problem with people posting opinions - that's what NGs
>> are for. But if you want to post a fact - then it better be one,
>> especially if you want to berate other posters with it.
>
> Now back to the original discussion. Did you guys actually mean
> "China Air", or "China Airlines"?

Now I am totally confused. Wasn't it "Air China" for the PRC official
carrier, rather than "China Air"?

Message has been deleted

Not the Karl Orff

Feb 10, 2003, 9:10:38 PM2/10/03
In article <b64f3922.03021...@posting.google.com>,
smoothgo...@hotmail.com (Ribes cynosbati) wrote:

> "Dr. Klaus Eimert" <eim...@web.de> wrote in message

> > > Now back to the original discussion. Did you guys actually mean
> > > "China Air", or "China Airlines"?
> >
> > Now I am totally confused. Wasn't it "Air China" for the PRC official
> > carrier, rather than "China Air"?
>

> According to the original posting by Bob Henning, I think he meant
> "Air China" because the top image in

I think Henning is on drugs. There's a lot of the good stuff grown
where he and I are from.

> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rupert/
>
> shows a blue strip on the airplane body, the wing or the engine.
> China Airlines from Taiwan has a new painting scheme since a few years
> ago and you do not find that kind of blue strips on the new painting
> scheme.

Fine, but note which way the wing is sweeping. The wing cannot possibly
be *mounted to* the fuselage on the left of the picture. The only way
it could be possible is 1) the wing has been detached from the fuselage
or 2) there are commercial a/c with sweep forward wings.

charles liu

Feb 11, 2003, 4:13:48 AM2/11/03
Did a little searching but can't find this picture anywhere. However
while reading up on the subject few thing became appearant:

- Karl is right, the pictures showed an engine that's already taken
off the plane. The fact the engine is backwards and resting on a
platform is obvious.

- Is there any proof showing the plane even flew with the strap on? I
question it as:

1) jet engine spins at incredibly high speed, creating strong airflow,
seat belts and buckles are made to withstand hundreds of pound of
force, not thousands of pound of thrust.
2) does anyone believe the strap will help reinforce the titanium
blades? Those titanium blade are incredibly strong, yet they need to
be inspected with micrometer for signs of fatigue and stretching every
7000 hours per P&W. Gee a strap would really help, huh?
3) imagine the fan blade spinning at thousands of RPM... Wouldn't the
centrifigual force throw the strap towards the outter edge of the fan
blade and shear it off?
4) It really looks like the straps are there to secure the blade while
the damaged engine is being transported. Please notice the black
paddings have some number on them, and the two that are shoing have
the same number. Coincidence that make shift strap would have the same
number printed on them?

I'm sorry, Bob, the story just doesn't hold water. Air China, assuming
that's who it is, has to answer to industry safety:

http://aviation-safety.net/database/operator/CCA.shtml

I think a more believable story is the picture shows *one* engine with
some bird damage, which is not uncommon.