"Jesse Garon" has FULL JUSTIFICATION every time he posts!

1 view

David DeLaney

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
pi...@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Pixelated!) writes:
:Rich Holmes <rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU> wrote:
:>Also, Kibo taught us that right margins should be justified on the
:>last *letter* of the line, not the last *character*. For instance,
:>this paragraph has proper Kibo-approved full justification. Don't
:
:I'm going to regret asking this, but who died and let Kibo replace
:the rules of grammar?

Why, the sainted Judith Martin, of course.

Dave "leave a period on your plate for... no wait" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney d...@panacea.phys.utk.edu "It's not the pot that grows the flower
Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET VRbeableURLAPvi

Paul Whitehouse

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
In article <4c078n$r...@shellx.best.com>, joy...@shellx.best.com says...

>Paul Whitehouse (pa...@mustang.mv.com) wrote:
>
>: Who the fuck is Jesse Garon? More importantly, why the fuck should I care?
>
>Jesse is an individual whom has contributed so much to American culture,
>that the list would stretch from Las Vegas to the Mexican border. He is
>not only the man who taught Elvis how to sing and shake his hips, but he
>also single-handedly invented and developed the internet. He is also the
>originator of the popular phrase, "Stop and smell my finger, man!" Rumor
>has it that he is the sole heir of the Howard Hughes fortune.
>
>That is who.

Oh, I see. He is a fictional character like Blarney the Dinosaur and the
Easter Bunny.
Byte me.

Randy Mills

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
Paul Whitehouse (pa...@mustang.mv.com) wrote:

: Oh, I see. He is a fictional character like Blarney the Dinosaur and the
: Easter Bunny.

If you are talking existence on a philosphical plane, I do suppose he's
fictitional. If not, He's one of the nicest fictitional people I've ever
met.

Leigh Witchel

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
In article <4cabuc$s...@gaia.ns.utk.edu>,

David DeLaney <d...@panacea.phys.utk.edu> wrote:
>:
>:I'm going to regret asking this, but who died and let Kibo replace
>:the rules of grammar?
>
>Why, the sainted Judith Martin, of course.

Miss Manners is DEAD????!!!!!!1!!

GAAAAH!

I'm having a panic attack.

I was always depressed she wasn't Mistress Manners. It would have put
some real bite into the ettiquette if one truly knew she would come to
you, graying chignon, studded dog collar, thigh high vinyl boots and all,
and give you what for for any infraction.

LAW

>Dave "leave a period on your plate for... no wait" DeLaney
>--
>\/David DeLaney d...@panacea.phys.utk.edu "It's not the pot that grows the flower
>It's not the clock that slows the hour The definition's plain for anyone to see
>Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET VRbeableURLAPvi
>http://enigma.phys.utk.edu/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

--
"Beautiful costumes and grandiose musical ambition serve only to
underline the sadness of the enterprise: like a wan girl in a fabulous

Alan L. Bostick

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
d...@panix.com (Leigh Witchel) writes:

>In article <4cabuc$s...@gaia.ns.utk.edu>,
>David DeLaney <d...@panacea.phys.utk.edu> wrote:
>>:
>>:I'm going to regret asking this, but who died and let Kibo replace
>>:the rules of grammar?
>>
>>Why, the sainted Judith Martin, of course.
>>

>Miss Manners is DEAD????!!!!!!1!!

>GAAAAH!

>I'm having a panic attack.

>I was always depressed she wasn't Mistress Manners. It would have put
>some real bite into the ettiquette if one truly knew she would come to
>you, graying chignon, studded dog collar, thigh high vinyl boots and all,
>and give you what for for any infraction.

I think she would have made a terrific Doctress Manners

Alan "Another Monster Truck Etiquettarian" Bostick
--
Alan Bostick | He played the king as if afraid someone else
Seeking opportunity to | would play the ace.

Leigh Witchel

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
In article <abostickD...@netcom.com>,

Alan L. Bostick <abos...@netcom.com> wrote:
>d...@panix.com (Leigh Witchel) writes:
>
>>In article <4cabuc$s...@gaia.ns.utk.edu>,
>>David DeLaney <d...@panacea.phys.utk.edu> wrote:
>>>:
>>>:I'm going to regret asking this, but who died and let Kibo replace
>>>:the rules of grammar?
>>>
>>>Why, the sainted Judith Martin, of course.
>>>

>>Miss Manners is DEAD????!!!!!!1!!
>
>>GAAAAH!
>
>>I'm having a panic attack.
>
>>I was always depressed she wasn't Mistress Manners. It would have put
>>some real bite into the etiquette if one truly knew she would come to
>>you, graying chignon, studded dog collar, thigh high vinyl boots and all,
>>and give you what for for any infraction.
>

>I think she would have made a terrific Doctress Manners
>
>Alan "Another Monster Truck Etiquettarian" Bostick

I wanna be the tea-time messiah. What is the proper attire to a
luvalution or a massagasm? Does one wear white? Are gloves appropriate?

LAW

I myself will wear a black turtleneck and slacks, proper art-fag attire
anywhere.

Doctorb Science

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
gri...@primenet.com ('Jesse Garon') writes:

>even as they retain the full quality of style for which "Jesse Garon"
>is noted, will be, with the one exception of the terminal line of any
^^
>and all paragraphs, be fully justified. So don't wait -- subscribe to
^^

Even if you have to repeat words?

--
Sincerely,
The "b" stands for "bargain" Doctorb Science

Karl Geiger

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
In article <4ccq16$4...@panix2.panix.com>, Leigh Witchel <d...@panix.com> wrote:

>I wanna be the tea-time messiah. What is the proper attire to a
>luvalution or a massagasm? Does one wear white? Are gloves appropriate?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh no, Dear, never white after September or before April.

>LAW
>
>I myself will wear a black turtleneck and slacks, proper art-fag attire
>anywhere.

You'll do fine in January with basic black, but do do something to
break up the sheer monotony of it all. A lovely gold brooch or
perhaps a smashingly paisley jacket liner will do nicely. Just don't
try to look as if you've just come from a funeral -- how depressing.

TTFN,

:Karl "Skatman" Chief Monster Truck Neutopian Sanitation Engineer

Holly Sommer

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
One clarification, in regards to the term "full justification"... simply
"justified" is sufficient and is, actually, the correct term. There are
four types of alignment in typesetting. Even though this medium isn't
exactly condusive to typesetting, per se, the terms should be used properly.

The four types are these:

"ragged right" (aka "flush left")
"ragged left" (aka "flush right")
"justified"
"centered"

Here are some examples*:

Ragged Right/Flush Left
=======================
Paragraphs are easiest to read when they are set to flush left alignment.
The reason for this is that the space between words (aka wordspacing) and
the space between letters (aka kerning) is left in a "natural" state.
Additionally, western readers are taught to read left to right, so having
text line up on the left gives a firmly-anchored starting point for the
eye at the next line.

Ragged Left/Flush Right
=======================
For the more artistically-inclined typesetter (or perhaps someone who is
just bored) there's the flush right alignment. This provides a more
striking look to a paragraph. As with ragged right, kerning and
wordspacing is preserved, however, readability is sacrificed to some
extent by lining text up on the right-hand side. Each new line starts at
a different point, which is akin to visual speedbumps for the eye. It's a
nice change for a little while, but, like headline fonts, should be used
sparingly, in order for it to be effective.

J u s t i f i e d
Justified text can be difficult to read when using a non-monospace font...
the reason for this is simple: when using a mono-space font (say, Courier)
each letter occupies the same physical width on the page. An "i" will take
just as much space as a "W" or a "@", etc. In a monospace font, the word-
spacing and kerning do not vary when justifying a paragraph, however with
a non-monospace font, both kerning and wordspacing get altered. From line
to line, wordspacing will vary, thus making a justified paragraph written
or displayed in a non-monospace font difficult to read. The eye must con-
stantly adjust to the changing visual makeup of a justified paragraph.

Justified paragraphs are ones with a fixed width (often referred to with a
redundant term like "right/left justified" or "fully justified"). So, if a
monospace font is used in typesetting (or in viewing, such as with a shell
account newsreader--as opposed to a newsreader client) then all the setter
needs to do is count the letters per line, and adjust his/her sentences to
fit in the previously determined paragraph width (which is generally 80 or
so characters).

What poses a challenge in writing justified paragraphs ("justified" in the
typesetting sense of the word, not in reference to content of the post) is
when non-monospaced fonts are used. For example: these three paragraphs so
far are all justified for anyone using a newsreader which uses a monospace
font for display purposes. However, someone using Netscape to read his/her
news may find that these three paragraphs do NOT appear to be justified...
in fact, they look the same as ragged left. This is because something like
Times (a non-monospaced or non-fixed-width font) is used in display. So, I
urge everyone here to try it out on both a "shell" newsreader and a client
newsreader to see the difference. Enough about justified paragraphs. Next:

Centered
========
Centered text has a more formal air to it.
Invitations, poems, announcements and the like
(aka: sentence structure and completeness
isn't a priority for what is being written)
lend themselves well to centered alignment.

As with the artistic ragged left, the
centered text should be used sparingly...
It is best used as "hood ornament" rather than
as the standard form for a lengthy post.

Kerning and wordspacing are preserved,
but readability drops due to not having a
good visual cue for either the beginning or end of
a line of text.

OK just my $.02 on that matter. Gee who would have thought something I
learned in college could be useful :) I hope I made it clear about why
it's incorrect to use the term "fully justified" (incorrect, and
redundant)... at least according to what is taught in college-level
graphics design classes (which I accept as credible sources).

Cheers,
Holly

<asterisk>
* whitepace has been added to the right-hand margin of this post, in case
it gets quoted... this way the visual examples won't word-wrap too much..
the only example which will be affected by quoting is the centered one, but
you can use your brain to figure out that it was centered in this original
post. :) I wrote and posted this with Pnews, and viewed it on an
80-character-width window using a fixed-width display font.
</asterisk>
--

Right here, right now: there is no other place I wanna be som...@main.com
Right here, right now: watching the world wake up from history 1.713.376.6311

Paul Whitehouse

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
In article <4car47$6...@shellx.best.com>, joy...@shellx.best.com. says...

Been napping in front of the ion shield again, have we?
Byte me.

Randy Mills

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
Paul Whitehouse (pa...@mustang.mv.com) wrote:

: Been napping in front of the ion shield again, have we?

Actually, it was a cathode ray tube. Does it matter?

Jesse Garon

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
kat...@law.emory.edu (Katina Choovanski) wrote:

> som...@main.com (Holly Sommer) wrote:

> > One clarification, in regards to the term "full justification"... simply
> > "justified" is sufficient and is, actually, the correct term. There are
> > four types of alignment in typesetting. Even though this medium isn't
> > exactly condusive to typesetting, per se, the terms should be used properly.

> [much arcane discussion of justification in terms of typesetting snipped]

> Um, actually I thought it was a pun on the meaning of justification in
> terms of religion. Someone is "justified" in terms of being fully assured
> of their salvation, of feeling in the right vis-a-vis the Deity. Which
> would certainly fit "jesse's" profile.

Well, there is that to consider, as well as the fact that I *need* to
be justified, since I am not fortunate enough to have a good car. But
I *have* gone a long way since I believed in anything. Why, you might
say I've come halfway around the world.

"Jesse Garon" gri...@primenet.com
Grifter Information Technologies/1230 Market #307/San Francisco 94102
Their M.O. is that they're good. http://www.primenet.com/~grifter/

David A.H. Perry

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96

"Jesse Garon" is a very stupid dweeb.

TheDavid(TM)

Randy Mills

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
Alan L. Bostick (abos...@netcom.com) wrote:

: BTW, are you any relation to James Perry?

How about Joe Perry?

Katina Choovanski

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
In article <4cdjk8$7...@spectre.star.harc.edu>, som...@main.com (Holly
Sommer) wrote:

> One clarification, in regards to the term "full justification"... simply
> "justified" is sufficient and is, actually, the correct term. There are
> four types of alignment in typesetting. Even though this medium isn't
> exactly condusive to typesetting, per se, the terms should be used properly.

[much arcane discussion of justification in terms of typesetting snipped]

Um, actually I thought it was a pun on the meaning of justification in
terms of religion. Someone is "justified" in terms of being fully assured
of their salvation, of feeling in the right vis-a-vis the Deity. Which
would certainly fit "jesse's" profile.

**katchoo

Alan L. Bostick

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
"David A.H. Perry" <thed...@clark.net> writes:

>"Jesse Garon" is a very stupid dweeb.

How wrong you are. "Jesse Garon" is a very smart dweeb.

BTW, are you any relation to James Perry?

Peter Dubuque

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
abos...@netcom.com (Alan L. Bostick) writes:
>"David A.H. Perry" <thed...@clark.net> writes:
>>"Jesse Garon" is a very stupid dweeb.
>How wrong you are. "Jesse Garon" is a very smart dweeb.
>BTW, are you any relation to James Perry?

And if so, do you have any more information about the Journey reunion?
--
Peter F. Dubuque - dub...@laraby.tiac.net - Enemy of Reason(TM)

Michael Straight

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
In article <katchoo-0401...@cmcmaho.dialup.emory.edu>,

Katina Choovanski <kat...@law.emory.edu> wrote:
>In article <4cdjk8$7...@spectre.star.harc.edu>, som...@main.com (Holly
>Sommer) wrote:
>
>> One clarification, in regards to the term "full justification"... simply
>> "justified" is sufficient and is, actually, the correct term. There are
>> four types of alignment in typesetting. Even though this medium isn't
>> exactly condusive to typesetting, per se, the terms should be used properly.

Oh, sure, and I suppose you've never used an ATM machine either? Or
driven more carefully because the truck in the next lane was hauling
inflammable liquids? (Note that this paragraph is only partly justified).

Michael Straight hoped to make a more dramatic comeback, but this is it.
FLEOEVDETYHOEUPROEONREWMEILECSOFMOERSGTIRVAENRGEEARDSTVHIESBIITBTLHEEPSRIACYK
Ethical Mirth Gas/"I'm chaste alright."/Magic Hitler Hats/"Hath grace limits?"
"Tight Camel Hairs!"/Chili Hamster Tag/The Gilt Charisma/"I gather this calm."

be...@cais2.cais.com

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
Leigh Witchel (d...@panix.com) wrote:

: I wanna be the tea-time messiah. . . Are gloves appropriate?

Only if they're surgical, considering the state of her futon.

--
Beth

"GNUtopia, it may not be the best, but it's free, and it's better
than neutopia."

- Helen Rhine

Bruce Ediger

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
du...@interlog.com (Tim Meehan) wrote:
:I thought James (Jim) Perry was the father of that guy from Friends (I
:don't know his name and don't because I have boycotted that show), and
:host of many a cheezy game show.....

You're thinking about Ross Schwimmer. Except that Schwimmer's never hosted
a game show.
--
I have killfiled all usenet articles from prodigy.com, indirect.com, direct.ca,
hollyberry.com, interramp.com, iadfw.net, gnn.com and megaweb.com due to phone

be...@cais2.cais.com

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
Peter Dubuque (dub...@laraby.tiac.net) wrote:
: du...@interlog.com (Tim Meehan) writes:

: >I thought James (Jim) Perry was the father of that guy from Friends (I

: >don't know his name and don't because I have boycotted that show), and
: >host of many a cheezy game show.....

: No no no...you're thinking of Perry Ellis.

Right, the guy who runs "The Daily Planet".

Peter Dubuque

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
du...@interlog.com (Tim Meehan) writes:

>I thought James (Jim) Perry was the father of that guy from Friends (I
>don't know his name and don't because I have boycotted that show), and
>host of many a cheezy game show.....

No no no...you're thinking of Perry Ellis.

Cassandra

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
dub...@laraby.tiac.net (Peter Dubuque) wrote:
>abos...@netcom.com (Alan L. Bostick) writes:

>>BTW, are you any relation to James Perry?
>
>And if so, do you have any more information about the Journey reunion?

>--
>Peter F. Dubuque - dub...@laraby.tiac.net - Enemy of Reason(TM)

He might if he were related to Steve Perry.

Cassandra

Tim Meehan

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
dub...@laraby.tiac.net (Peter Dubuque) writes:

>abos...@netcom.com (Alan L. Bostick) writes:

>>"David A.H. Perry" <thed...@clark.net> writes:
>>>"Jesse Garon" is a very stupid dweeb.
>>How wrong you are. "Jesse Garon" is a very smart dweeb.

>>BTW, are you any relation to James Perry?

>And if so, do you have any more information about the Journey reunion?

I thought James (Jim) Perry was the father of that guy from Friends (I

don't know his name and don't because I have boycotted that show), and
host of many a cheezy game show.....

--
Tim Meehan-To...@interlog.com-ah635@torfree.net...@utoronto.ca
http://www.interlog.com/~duke/index.html-+1(416)449-2369

Randy Mills

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
Peter Dubuque (dub...@laraby.tiac.net) wrote:

: No no no...you're thinking of Perry Ellis.

No! We're thinking of Perry Mason.

Andrew Jeanes

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
In article <4cl5u3$8...@gold.interlog.com>,

Tim Meehan <du...@interlog.com> wrote:

>I thought James (Jim) Perry was the father of that guy from Friends (I
>don't know his name and don't because I have boycotted that show), and
>host of many a cheezy game show.....

"Definition" was *not* a cheezy game show. It was fuckin' *art*.

Anyway, you're thinking of Robin Ward, who was son of Burt Ward of
"Batman" fame. (Get it? He named his son *Robin*.)

Andrew "my definition--my definition is this" Jeanes

"--or worse, it was Ottawa, they were Carleton students, God help us,
they were Carleton film students..." Russell Smith,_How Insensitive_
http://www.consecol.org/People/ajeanes <--new--> aje...@consecol.org

lnho...@usa.pipeline.com

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
On Jan 06, 1996 09:46:07 in article <Re: "Jesse Garon" has FULL
JUSTIFICATION every time he posts!>, 'dub...@laraby.tiac.net (Peter
Dubuque)' wrote:
/
/du...@interlog.com (Tim Meehan) writes:
/
/>I thought James (Jim) Perry was the father of that guy from Friends (I
/>don't know his name and don't because I have boycotted that show), and
/>host of many a cheezy game show.....
/
/No no no...you're thinking of Perry Ellis.
/
Silly - that's Perry Como. You younguns just need to watch more old TVs.
They don't make game shows like they used to.

LH

Pixelated!

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
In article <4ck138$13...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>,
Michael Straight <stra...@email.unc.edu> wrote:

>Oh, sure, and I suppose you've never used an ATM machine either? Or

I can state with the utmost authority that I've never used a so-called
"ATM machine." I have, however, frequently used ATMs.

--
Richard Cooley Extraordinaire | Linux Linux Linux | My opinions, not MIT's.
pi...@basenji.com | pi...@gnu.ai.mit.edu | pi...@usa1.com

Peter Dubuque

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
be...@cais2.cais.com (TheW...@Endor.com) writes:
>Peter Dubuque (dub...@laraby.tiac.net) wrote:
>: du...@interlog.com (Tim Meehan) writes:

>: >I thought James (Jim) Perry was the father of that guy from Friends (I
>: >don't know his name and don't because I have boycotted that show), and
>: >host of many a cheezy game show.....

>: No no no...you're thinking of Perry Ellis.

>Right, the guy who runs "The Daily Planet".

That's Perry Mason.

SUZANNE FORTIN

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96

Look, those of you who respond: cut rec.arts.poems from your headers. It
has nothing to do with poetry and it's *very* annoying.

Suzanne

Randy Mills

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
SUZANNE FORTIN (aaa...@agora.ulaval.ca) wrote:

: Look, those of you who respond: cut rec.arts.poems from your headers. It

: has nothing to do with poetry and it's *very* annoying.

Or so you say.

I see poetic flow in the words. But then again, there are those whom
would say that all recordings by Big Black were a total waste of PVC.

Here a short verse for you so you can feel it belongs...

Get off the soapbox
I must do my laundry

Jay C Jachimiak

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
[This is my first attempt at using the GNSc newsreader, and I'm
not entirely convinced that this auto-attribution feature is
going to do a better job than I'd do manually. But I decided to
give it a try when I noticed pixel's posting from gnu.ai.mit.edu.]

^^^

Michael Straight (this thing's already screwed up and lost his email
address) posed a challenge:

The Pixelated dOOd (pi...@what.it.says.above) replied:

>I can state with the utmost authority that I've never used a so-called
>"ATM machine." I have, however, frequently used ATMs.

You only say that because you don't remember that computers built by
IBM, back when most people knew that it stood for International
Business Machines, were once commonly called "IBM machines" (I don't
remember that either, but I read it in an old Archie comic book.
Jughead said to Archie: "What do you think I am? An IBM machine?")

Since the first ATMs were built by American Transdata Manufacturing,
referring to them as "ATM machines" is correct, even though "ATM" has
become more or less a generic term for similar machines built by any
manufacturer.

Hope this helps!

-Jay
jay...@panix.com
the "c" stands for "charisma"

Ted Borck

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
Louise Van Hine (lou...@netcom.com) wrote:
: 'Jesse Garon' (gri...@primenet.com) wrote:

<snip>

: "Any man with a good car
: Don't need no justification."

: - Hazel Motes, in
: "Wise Blood" by Flannery O'Connor
: --
: lou...@netcom.com

"Mr. Motes. Mr. Motes. You should get yourself a seeing-eye dog.
Folks pay a lot of money to see a blind preacher with a seeing-
eye dog."

Landlady (whose name I can't remember & and my book was not returned)
"Wise Blood" by Flannery O'Connor

tbo...@netcom.com

Rich Holmes

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
In article <4cp77q$a...@senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU> pi...@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Pixelated!) writes:

>I can state with the utmost authority that I've never used a so-called
>"ATM machine." I have, however, frequently used ATMs.

How many frequently used ATMs do you have? Are they the kind that
print the money or are they the old kind where they had to load them
up with preprinted bills? If the former, would you be interested in
selling one?

ObPoem - haiku:

I use ATMs
frequently, but I don't use
ATM machines

--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes

`Nobody has a "Bruce Ediger" quote in their .sig - not even me.'
- Bruce Ediger

Jesse Garon

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
SUZANNE FORTIN <aaa...@agora.ulaval.ca> wrote:

> Look, those of you who respond: cut rec.arts.poems from your headers. It
> has nothing to do with poetry and it's *very* annoying.

Listen up and listen closely
For I won't repeat this much
If I don't want to write prosely
I'll use my poetic touch
All my posts will be on topic
Since nobody rhymes like me
Bentham with his gaze panoptic
Never saw such poetry.
I'm surprised you didn't know it,
I'm the USENET's one true poet.

Of course, the above doesn't have to be fully justified, because it's
poetry, which is not written prosely (in the manner of prose), but in
the poetical manner. Now then, who crossposted this to the Rush group
while I wasn't looking?

Doctorb Science

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us (Doctress Neutopia) writes:

>The rich in the movement will also see the need to
>burn the White House and Buckingham Palace.

The rich in the movement? The rich can afford their own crystals
and snapping, bee propolis-prescribing "therapists". They also
have cable, and can watch the comedy channel, which is more amusing,
but not much so, than Neutopia.

Ach.

--
Sincerely,
The "b" stands for "bargain" Doctorb Science
The worst part about censorship is XXXXXXX XXXXX XXX XXXXXXXX.
P.S. I am not a crackpot.

Jesse Garon

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us (Libby Hubbard) wrote:

> Leigh Witchel (d...@panix.com) wrote:
> : I wanna be the tea-time messiah. What is the proper attire to a
> : luvalution or a massagasm? Does one wear white? Are gloves appropriate?

> Wear what you think is beauty and comfortable.
> Since some of us in the lovolution are very, very poor
> they will wear rags. Others of us will have to share
> our goods with them. Sharing is part of the lovolution.

But if those of us who are not very, very poor have to share with the
poor slobs, then they probably won't have to wear rags, will they? Or
will they not be able to buy decent clothes? Personally, I think that
everyone in the Lovolution should fall into the Gap. The Gap provides
the perfect clothing for mass individualism.

> The rich in the movement will also see the need to
> burn the White House and Buckingham Palace.

I myself desire to hang the DJ, because the music he constantly plays
says nothing to me about my life. But then, that's just me.

Doctress Neutopia

Bev

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
In article <4csg3h$b...@ceylon.gte.com>,

Doctress Neutopia <neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us> wrote:
>Wear what you think is beauty and comfortable.

Erk. Um. Reconciliation. Problem. Um. Velvet. First Night. Um. Uh.
Comfort. Beauty. Um. No. Never done it.

Comfort and style, yes. Tonight's tuxedo shirt, black blazer, and platform
heels (later army boots) were elegant, not to mention comfortable and
practical (especially when covered with black trenchcoat); you could
not, however, call it "beauty" unless you like androgynous women.

I don't know what I'd wear to the lovolution. Sex? There's going to be
sex, there, yes? We have no choice in the matter? I might have to
resurrect my turquoise crushed velvet dress, track down some spike
heels and a garter belt for the stockings, and locate a velvet fedora.

And lacy black gloves.

>The rich in the movement will also see the need to
>burn the White House and Buckingham Palace.

After, of course, pillaging the wardrobes.
--
Won't you listen to what the DJ's spinning? *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
[wedn...@tezcat.com -is- w e d n e s d a y -is- beverley r. white]

Susan Irvin

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
Bev (wedn...@tezcat.com) wrote:
: In article <4csg3h$b...@ceylon.gte.com>,
: Doctress Neutopia <neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us> wrote:

: I don't know what I'd wear to the lovolution. Sex? There's going to be

: sex, there, yes? We have no choice in the matter? I might have to
: resurrect my turquoise crushed velvet dress, track down some spike
: heels and a garter belt for the stockings, and locate a velvet fedora.

Spike heels don't exactly fall into my definition of comfort....but, hey,
comfort to me is a pair of sweatpants and an extra big sweatshirt, which
doesn't exactly fall into most people's definition of beauty.

: >The rich in the movement will also see the need to

: >burn the White House and Buckingham Palace.

: After, of course, pillaging the wardrobes.

Anybody know the Queen's shoe size?

Y'know...maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't have thought that
something called a lovolution would involve violence.

--
Sue Irvin /=\/=\ cl...@rahul.net
http://www.mathcs.sjsu.edu/student/irvi2187/clio/

be...@cais2.cais.com

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
Doctress Neutopia (neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us) wrote:

: Wear what you think is beauty and comfortable.

: Since some of us in the lovolution are very, very poor

: they will wear rags. Others of us will have to share
: our goods with them. Sharing is part of the lovolution.

: The rich in the movement will also see the need to

: burn the White House and Buckingham Palace.

Uhm Libby? Let's, just for the sake of argument, say that I agreed with
you. Given the homeless problem here (I have no idea if there's one in
the UK), why on earth would you burn down buildings that could be used to
give people shelter? Not to mention the amount of pollution said razings
would create.

El Abandonado Perro

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
In <4ctuhp$e...@hustle.rahul.net> Susan Irvin <cl...@rahul.net> writes:

>Bev (wedn...@tezcat.com) wrote:
>: In article <4csg3h$b...@ceylon.gte.com>,
>: Doctress Neutopia <neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us> wrote:
>
>: I don't know what I'd wear to the lovolution. Sex? There's going to
be
>: sex, there, yes? We have no choice in the matter? I might have to
>: resurrect my turquoise crushed velvet dress, track down some spike
>: heels and a garter belt for the stockings, and locate a velvet
fedora.

>*Wow...can we go together? Me, I have some flannel lined jeans from
>*L.L. Bean, soft brown cowboy boots and a faded Michigan State sweat
>*shirt... I will wear my beauty on the inside. I wonder what the
>*weather will be like and if they'll comp. my air fare.
>*Hasta....El Abandonado Perro

>Spike heels don't exactly fall into my definition of comfort....but,
hey,
>comfort to me is a pair of sweatpants and an extra big sweatshirt,
which
>doesn't exactly fall into most people's definition of beauty.
>

>: >The rich in the movement will also see the need to
>: >burn the White House and Buckingham Palace.

Rich Holmes

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
In article <DKxEq...@world.std.com> tr...@world.std.com (Gardner S Trask) writes:

>rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU (Rich Holmes) writes:
>

>>Bibidy bibidy
>>'Jesse Garon' [*]
>>W/o his MO is
>>Clearly a nut
>
>>Poetry ugly &
>>Unjustifiable
>>Awkward, etc.
>>He's in a rut
>

>>[*] You have to pronounce this as "Quote Jesse Garon quote".
>

>VMS%0234%qwink-SYNTERR!SYNTAX-ERROR%
>
>Syntax error - unballanced quotes.
>s/b "Quote Jesse Garon UnQuote"

Actually, if you look closely, they're both unquotes. I should have
said `Jesse Garon`.

If it's good enough for Perl, it's good enough for poetry.

Rich Holmes

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
[N.B. Earlier, faulty version of this post cancelled.]

In article <grifter-0801...@ip185.lax.primenet.com> gri...@primenet.com ('Jesse Garon') writes:

>Listen up and listen closely
>For I won't repeat this much
>If I don't want to write prosely
>I'll use my poetic touch
>All my posts will be on topic
>Since nobody rhymes like me
>Bentham with his gaze panoptic
>Never saw such poetry.
> I'm surprised you didn't know it,
> I'm the USENET's one true poet.
>
>Of course, the above doesn't have to be fully justified, because it's
>poetry, which is not written prosely (in the manner of prose), but in
>the poetical manner. Now then, who crossposted this to the Rush group
>while I wasn't looking?

Bibidy bibidy

'Jesse Garon' [*]
W/o his MO is
Clearly a nut

Poetry ugly &
Unjustifiable
Awkward, etc.
He's in a rut

[*] You have to pronounce this as "Quote Jesse Garon quote".

['Jesse' shouldn't take this personally; it wouldn't have been so MEEN
if it weren't for the constraint.]

Jesse Garon

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU (Rich Holmes) wrote:

>gri...@primenet.com ('Jesse Garon') writes:
> >Listen up and listen closely
> >For I won't repeat this much
> >If I don't want to write prosely
> >I'll use my poetic touch
> >All my posts will be on topic
> >Since nobody rhymes like me
> >Bentham with his gaze panoptic
> >Never saw such poetry.
> > I'm surprised you didn't know it,
> > I'm the USENET's one true poet.

> Bibidy bibidy
> 'Jesse Garon' [*]
> W/o his MO is
> Clearly a nut

> Poetry ugly &
> Unjustifiable
> Awkward, etc.
> He's in a rut

Man, you're going a long way just to get a rhyme. I thought I'd get a
round of "bibidys" for inventing the word 'prosely' off the top of my
head just so I could do a poem, but instead, I have been attacked for
my poetry itself. Well, just remember who won 1995's online slam! Me!

Gardner S Trask

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU (Rich Holmes) writes:

>Bibidy bibidy
>'Jesse Garon' [*]
>W/o his MO is
>Clearly a nut

>Poetry ugly &
>Unjustifiable
>Awkward, etc.
>He's in a rut

>[*] You have to pronounce this as "Quote Jesse Garon quote".

VMS%0234%qwink-SYNTERR!SYNTAX-ERROR%

Syntax error - unballanced quotes.
s/b "Quote Jesse Garon UnQuote"

Gard "Martha Stewart of the net" Trask

--
Gardner S. Trask III tr...@world.std.com
"First .cultured man on the Internet" alt.culture.gard-trask

Darren Stuart Embry

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96

to which rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU (Rich Holmes) replied:

] How many frequently used ATMs do you have? Are they the kind that

] print the money or are they the old kind where they had to load them
] up with preprinted bills?

I have some older models where the bills needed to be printed inside a few
minutes before the transactions took place because the ink took a while to
dry on the special paper.

There are also some models which ``work around'' this problem by actually
printing the next transaction's bills while a transaction is taking place.
This fools ATM users into thinking that the current transaction's bills are
being printed.

It's a security feature, you see.

But I can't sell them to you because then I wouldn't have any source of
money so neener neener neener.

]ObPoem - haiku:

]
] I use ATMs
] frequently, but I don't use
] ATM machines

ObPoem:

Yes, they print money.
But why does it look so old?
The paper is used.

--
Darren Stuart Embry * http://www.spd.louisville.edu/~dsembr01/

Being ashamed because you're different is the sickest kind of lie.
-- Kinghorse

Gardner S Trask

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU (Rich Holmes) writes:

>In article <DKxEq...@world.std.com> tr...@world.std.com (Gardner S Trask) writes:

>>rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU (Rich Holmes) writes:
>>

>>>Bibidy bibidy
>>>'Jesse Garon' [*]
>>>W/o his MO is
>>>Clearly a nut
>>
>>>Poetry ugly &
>>>Unjustifiable
>>>Awkward, etc.
>>>He's in a rut
>>

>>>[*] You have to pronounce this as "Quote Jesse Garon quote".
>>

>>VMS%0234%qwink-SYNTERR!SYNTAX-ERROR%
>>
>>Syntax error - unballanced quotes.
>>s/b "Quote Jesse Garon UnQuote"

>Actually, if you look closely, they're both unquotes. I should have
>said `Jesse Garon`.

>If it's good enough for Perl, it's good enough for poetry.

VMS%3827%fckup-ILLOPER!ILLOGICAL-OPERATOR%

Illogical use of <`>. Statement <Jesse Garon> is not boolean. Thus use of
the <not> or <negate> condition <`> is invalid. Please fix and resubmit your
batch deck with the appropriate SPSS header card.

Gard "the un-cola" Trask

joseph richard koleszar

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
In article <4cmsn8$3...@shellx.best.com>,
Randy Mills <joy...@shellx.best.com> wrote:

>Peter Dubuque (dub...@laraby.tiac.net) wrote:
>
>: No no no...you're thinking of Perry Ellis.
>
>No! We're thinking of Perry Mason.

No! We're not thinking.

Ralph
--
Joseph Richard "Kibo" Koleszar | jkol...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
I AM THE ANTIBOB(c)! I AM THE ANTIBOB(c)! I AM THE ANTIBOB(c)!

Carlos May

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
Hm.
I guess I'll just wear what I wore to the 12th night streetcar
party the other night.

I'll wear a wide-lapelled pinstriped zoot-suit. Ms. J. & I
wear wide-brimmed fedoras, mine black, hers white. She wears
a black knee-legnth skirt, a lacy white top (whoo hoo!), a fox
wrap and authentic 1930s panties from her Aunt's dresser.
We both carry large tommy-gun shaped squirt-rifles filled with
Bushmills, and our belongings are in canvas bank bags marked with
"$" signs.

-- Carlos The Frog

* fro...@neosoft.com "The Information Super-frog" [dibs] *

Doctress Neutopia

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
Susan Irvin (cl...@rahul.net) wrote:
: Y'know...maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't have thought that
: something called a lovolution would involve violence.

There is no way around the fact that at some point during the
lovolution we will have to destroy the symbols of power of the ruling
class. After all, lovolution *is* the evolution of revolution. In all
revolutions the ruling class symbols must be destroyed.

Our first task is too take over the White House
and turn it into the Gaia Intelligence Agency.
Once the building of the arcology is underway,
we shall burn with JOY the mother fucking White House.

Now where is my revolutionary hero?

Where is the Gaia Messiah?

My heart and mind are crying out for you!

Bruce Ediger

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
shec...@dolphin.upenn.edu (Katherine A Shecora-Mayer) wrote:
:Doctress Neutopia (neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us) wrote:
:: There is no way around the fact that at some point during the
:: lovolution we will have to destroy the symbols of power of the ruling
:: class. After all, lovolution *is* the evolution of revolution. In all
:: revolutions the ruling class symbols must be destroyed.
:
:I would say that computers are some of the more obvious symbols of the
:rulings class, n'est pas?

Well, Katherine, my computer is *not* a pipe, no.

But are old, slow, out-of-date, no-new-revs-of-software computers symbols
of the ruling class? 'Cause that's all that I own, and I want to hide them
before the lovolution if they're slated to be busted up.

You know, I was all in favor of the Massgasm thing, but this Lovolution thing
is beginning to sound like not as much fun. I mean, no massgasms, and all
we do is bust up ruling class symbols? Where's the sport in that?
--
I have killfiled all usenet articles from prodigy.com, indirect.com, direct.ca,
hollyberry.com, interramp.com, iadfw.net, gnn.com and megaweb.com due to phone
sex spams and unethical ad spams. Once these sites are in your killfile, you
will be amazed at how few legitimate articles originate from them.

Sean Smith

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
In article <4cv5qu$g...@ceylon.gte.com>, neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us

(Doctress Neutopia) wrote:

> There is no way around the fact that at some point during the
> lovolution we will have to destroy the symbols of power of the ruling
> class.

Ah, man! I was going to play the symbols of power at the celebration ball!
Now I'll just have to settle for playing the timpani of glory and the
bongo drums of admiration!

Sean ("Anyone know where I can get a sousaphone of incredulity?") Smith

smt...@bcvms.bc.edu

--"I don't care," said Willa Jean. "I made a big noise with it, and now I don't want it anymore!"--
Beverly Cleary

Francesco Benvenuto

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
b...@gandalf.rutgers.edu (Doctorb Science) writes:

|> neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us (Doctress Neutopia) writes:
|>
|> >The rich in the movement will also see the need to
|> >burn the White House and Buckingham Palace.
|>
|> The rich in the movement? The rich can afford their own crystals
|> and snapping, bee propolis-prescribing "therapists".

She was referring to "Rich Holmes". Hope this helps.

--
fB - as for n e w b i e no, I've been posting here for two or three months
-- "Of course Kibo cares. Only not very much." - Kibo

Katherine A Shecora-Mayer

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
Doctress Neutopia (neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us) wrote:

: Susan Irvin (cl...@rahul.net) wrote:
: : Y'know...maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't have thought that
: : something called a lovolution would involve violence.

: There is no way around the fact that at some point during the

: lovolution we will have to destroy the symbols of power of the ruling

: class. After all, lovolution *is* the evolution of revolution. In all
: revolutions the ruling class symbols must be destroyed.

I would say that computers are some of the more obvious symbols of the
rulings class, n'est pas?

: Our first task is too take over the White House

: and turn it into the Gaia Intelligence Agency.

Honey, it would probably be more prudent to start with the CIA campus in
MacLean VA--it is out of the way ad a bit more discreet--besides, I hear
there has been something of a shakeup there, what with all that has
been in the newspapers. Or perhaps the Hoover FBI building over on 12th
St. would be more to your liking--I hear the infastructure is well
maintained there. All you would have to do is change the labels on the
filing cabinets from "good guys" to "bad guys".

: Once the building of the arcology is underway,
: we shall burn with JOY the mother f***ing White House.

I was down there a few days ago--the barricades on Pennsylvania Avenue
look mighty daunting--perhaps a MTN sanitation truck can scale them, but
then why would they bother?

: Now where is my revolutionary hero?

(Wo)Man in the mirror--to quote an old song by the King of Pop, Micheal
Jackson, heir to the King's throne, pappy in law ELVIS

: Where is the Gaia Messiah?

See above.

: My heart and mind are crying out for you!

Sorry..no dice!

Delurking with amusement--

The MTN Sanitation Engineering Department's Employee Assistance Program
Officer (Self Appointed)

--
Katherine Shecora-Mayer, M.S.W. Boingy!
The University of Pennsylvania Boingy!

Richard Crew

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
On 10 Jan 1996 01:47:10 GMT, Doctress Neutopia <neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us> wrote:

: There is no way around the fact that at some point during the
: lovolution we will have to destroy the symbols of power of the ruling
: class. After all, lovolution *is* the evolution of revolution. In all
: revolutions the ruling class symbols must be destroyed.

Well, _heck_, I was going to put on my tails. Either that, or a bathing suit.

--Rich

Lupus Yonderboy

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
Thus spake be...@cais2.cais.com (TheW...@Endor.com):
>Leigh Witchel (d...@panix.com) wrote:
>: I wanna be the tea-time messiah. . . Are gloves appropriate?
>
>Only if they're surgical, considering the state of her futon.

Somehow, it doesn't surprise me that Drs. Neutopia has a futon.

I've realized of late that I've been slacking in my job as Monster
Trucking Neutopia's social chair so uh....

Everyone keep doing what your doing. Amen.

--
--==> Yonderboy <==--
asu...@mentos.com

Bev

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
In article <4cv5qu$g...@ceylon.gte.com>,

Doctress Neutopia <neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us> wrote:
>There is no way around the fact that at some point during the
>lovolution we will have to destroy the symbols of power of the ruling
>class. After all, lovolution *is* the evolution of revolution. In all
>revolutions the ruling class symbols must be destroyed.

There goes the computer, folks.
--
-=*=-[wedn...@tezcat.com -is- w e d n e s d a y -is- beverley r. white]
[http://www.tezcat.com/~wednsday/] [And I, my Lord -- may I say nothing?]

elizabeth mansager higgins

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
On 10 Jan 1996, Doctress Neutopia wrote:

..." Our first task is too take over the White House

> and turn it into the Gaia Intelligence Agency.

> Once the building of the arcology is underway,

> we shall burn with JOY the mother fucking White House."

Wait a minute, you want to turn the White House into the Gaia Intelligence
Agency and THEN burn it down (with joy). Although there may be many
people who would support you on that (the burning of the GIA I mean) it
seems to be an illogical thing to do and an appalling waste of effort.

Liz

Robert Jones

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
SUZANNE FORTIN <aaa...@agora.ulaval.ca> writes:

>Look, those of you who respond: cut rec.arts.poems from your headers. It
>has nothing to do with poetry and it's *very* annoying.

If rec.arts.poems is so annoying, why do you read it?

- Rob

Francesco Benvenuto

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
joy...@shellx.best.com (Randy Mills) writes:

|> I see poetic flow in the words. But then again, there are those whom
|> would say that all recordings by Big Black were a total waste of PVC.

Ah, the famed Big Black flame war! (insert Usenet nostalgia here).

But you *did* remove rec.arts.poems from your followups, so what?

-- There is absolutely no such thing as an absolute truth

Alan L. Bostick

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
be...@cais2.cais.com (TheW...@Endor.com) writes:

>Douglas Lathrop (lat...@primenet.com) wrote:

>: Libby "Burn Baby Burn" Hubbard <neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us> wrote:

>: : There is no way around the fact that at some point during the
>: : lovolution we will have to destroy the symbols of power of the ruling
>: : class. After all, lovolution *is* the evolution of revolution.

>: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>: Isn't this a line from a song by The Police?

>Nah, it's the name of a band from the late 60's early 70's. The lead
>singer was Lancelot Link (secret Chimp) and Mata Hari was on the tamborines.
^^^^

YM "Hairy". HTH.

Alan "Doctor Strangemind" Bostick

--
Alan Bostick | He played the king as if afraid someone else
Seeking opportunity to | would play the ace.
develop multimedia content. | John Mason Brown, drama critic
Finger abos...@netcom.com for more info and PGP public key

Alan L. Bostick

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
Douglas Lathrop <lat...@primenet.com> writes:

>TheW...@Endor.com <be...@cais2.cais.com> wrote:

>: <heh heh> Don't be surprised, if one day, you have two non-descript
>: people in suits and Ray Bans, knocking at your door asking you if you love
>: your country. <evil grin>

>What do the Blues Brothers have to do with the Lovolution?

Why, *everything*, of course.

Alan "I'm a Soul Man . . . !" Bostick

be...@cais2.cais.com

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
Douglas Lathrop (lat...@primenet.com) wrote:
: Libby "Burn Baby Burn" Hubbard <neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us> wrote:

: : There is no way around the fact that at some point during the
: : lovolution we will have to destroy the symbols of power of the ruling
: : class. After all, lovolution *is* the evolution of revolution.
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: Isn't this a line from a song by The Police?

Nah, it's the name of a band from the late 60's early 70's. The lead
singer was Lancelot Link (secret Chimp) and Mata Hari was on the tamborines.

: You know, I REALLY want to know what happened during her visit there.
: The entertainment value aside, it would help me decide if I should worry
: about the Secret Service monitoring this newsgroup (for Libby's sake, I
: hope they aren't doing so, since I highly doubt they have the same
: well-honed sense of humor as the average MTN).

<heh heh> Don't be surprised, if one day, you have two non-descript
people in suits and Ray Bans, knocking at your door asking you if you love
your country. <evil grin>

Pixelated!

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
In article <RSHOLMES.9...@hydra.syr.edu>,
Rich Holmes <rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU> wrote:
>In article <DKxEq...@world.std.com>,

> tr...@world.std.com (Gardner S Trask) writes:

>>Syntax error - unballanced quotes.
>>s/b "Quote Jesse Garon UnQuote"

>Actually, if you look closely, they're both unquotes. I should have
>said `Jesse Garon`.

No, ' is a single quote. ` is a back-quote or accent grave. It Says So
Right Here (rtfm bash et al)

>If it's good enough for Perl, it's good enough for poetry.

Actually, I saw a poem in Perl once, that was a functional Perl script
written in poetic free verse that produced output that could be also
considered a poem.

Included is the poem.
---->8---cut here---8<----
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

# Ode to My Thesis, a Perl Poem

<<birth ;
re-
birth

seek (
enlightenment, knowledge, experience );

goto MIT;

sleep "too little", study $a_lot,
wait, then .
"B.S.",

leave. then, return to ;
MIT :
now,
$done = 'a Ph.D. ">&2';

warn pop @mom, " I'll be here a while \n";

study, study, do study;

push (
myself, computers, experiments ),

read (
data, references, books ),

study,
write,
write,
write,

do more if time ;
redo if $errors ;

do more_work if questions_remain ;

$all_are_answered? yes.

now :
write,
chop if length $too_great ;

format =
Thesis
.
tell all,
done, finally .
now, do rest .

shout.
and .
hear .
it .
`echo "

Now I am $done`

# Craig Counterman
# April 27, 1991
---->8---cut here---8<----

Don't remember where I saw it.
--
Richard Cooley Extraordinaire | Linux Linux Linux | My opinions, not MIT's.
pi...@basenji.com | pi...@gnu.ai.mit.edu | pi...@usa1.com
Daisemi'in rhhaensuriuu meillunsiateve rh'e Mnhei'sahe yie ahr'en:
Mnahe afw'ein qiuu; rh'e hweithnaef mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu.

Pixelated!

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
Gardner S Trask <tr...@world.std.com> wrote:

>VMS%0234%qwink-SYNTERR!SYNTAX-ERROR%

>Syntax error - unballanced quotes.
>s/b "Quote Jesse Garon UnQuote"

Plonk. You've obviously never used a VAX, or you'd know the correct error is
%DCL-F-UNBALQUT, insufficiently verbose unbalanced quote-
\Quote\

be...@cais2.cais.com

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
Alan L. Bostick (abos...@netcom.com) wrote:
: be...@cais2.cais.com (TheW...@Endor.com) writes:

: >Douglas Lathrop (lat...@primenet.com) wrote:
: >: Libby "Burn Baby Burn" Hubbard <neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us> wrote:

: >: : There is no way around the fact that at some point during the
: >: : lovolution we will have to destroy the symbols of power of the ruling
: >: : class. After all, lovolution *is* the evolution of revolution.
: >: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: >: Isn't this a line from a song by The Police?

: >Nah, it's the name of a band from the late 60's early 70's. The lead
: >singer was Lancelot Link (secret Chimp) and Mata Hari was on the tamborines.

: ^^^^

: YM "Hairy". HTH.

I couldn't remember, so I opted for the "classic" spelling.

--
Beth (yeah, yeah, some would say "Hairy" *was* the classic spelling)

David DeLaney

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
wedn...@tezcat.com (Bev) writes:
>I don't know what I'd wear to the lovolution. Sex? There's going to be
>sex, there, yes? We have no choice in the matter?

I think this is the most concise definition of it I've seen yet...

>I might have to
>resurrect my turquoise crushed velvet dress, track down some spike
>heels and a garter belt for the stockings, and locate a velvet fedora.

Ooo.

We have a lovely sapphire crushed velvet dress in the Talbots fall catalog,
though it may be out of stock in your size... Dunno about the velvet fedora,
but spike heels? No problemo!

Dave "1-800-i'm-not-gonna-say-it-here" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney d...@panacea.phys.utk.edu "It's not the pot that grows the flower
Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET VRbeableURLAPvi
http://enigma.phys.utk.edu/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Jaffo

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
>In article <4cv5qu$g...@ceylon.gte.com>,

>Doctress Neutopia <neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us> wrote:
>>There is no way around the fact that at some point during the
>>lovolution we will have to destroy the symbols of power of the ruling
>>class. After all, lovolution *is* the evolution of revolution. In all
>>revolutions the ruling class symbols must be destroyed.

>There goes the computer, folks.

I'm gonna feel mighty stupid scribbling Usenet posts and database code on clay
tablets.

Jaffo

Dear Friends, if you see Jaffo roaming around loose or getting into trouble,
please fetch him out of traffic and send him home. He responds to simple
verbal commands and will usually come to you if you offer him food.
He lives at: http://rampages.onramp.net/~jaffo

Jaffo

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
>Leigh Witchel (d...@panix.com) wrote:

>: I wanna be the tea-time messiah. What is the proper attire to a
>: luvalution or a massagasm? Does one wear white? Are gloves appropriate?

>: LAW

>: I myself will wear a black turtleneck and slacks, proper art-fag attire
>: anywhere.

>Wear what you think is beauty and comfortable.
>Since some of us in the lovolution are very, very poor
>they will wear rags. Others of us will have to share
>our goods with them. Sharing is part of the lovolution.

>The rich in the movement will also see the need to
>burn the White House and Buckingham Palace.

Yup, this definately confirms it. I will be wearing a bulletproof vest and a
Delta Airlines vomit bag.

Doctress Neutopia

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
TheW...@Endor.com (be...@cais2.cais.com) wrote:

: Uhm Libby? Let's, just for the sake of argument, say that I agreed with
: you. Given the homeless problem here (I have no idea if there's one in
: the UK), why on earth would you burn down buildings that could be used to
: give people shelter? Not to mention the amount of pollution said razings
: would create.

The White House is a symbol of the American way of life.
It is not an example of a solar powered palace of the people,
but the house of military power and patriarchy.

It is not a place of openheartness and love, but a place
of pretension and power over human rights. America
is not a place of human rights, so why do they pretend to
support them abroad?

Jaffo

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
>Everyone keep doing what your doing. Amen.

Yonderboy has now vaulted into Second Place in the "Write Jaffo's Tombstone"
Contest.

Stay tuned.

MattWard

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
I don't know what the question was, but Perry's answer sure (ly) sounds
good.
Matt Ward, 1019 E. Main St., Murfreesboro, TN USA
Phone (615) 890-2178

Jaffo

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96

Picky picky picky. All you people ever think about are DETAILS!

I'll bet Rome was full of short-sighted people with water buckets.

Kirk Tierney

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us (Doctress Neutopia) wrote:

>TheW...@Endor.com (be...@cais2.cais.com) wrote:

As a matter of interest, Doctress, where is there a place of human
rights? Which country or countries do you think offers it best?
Seriously..

tkt

Lupus Yonderboy

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
Thus spake d...@panacea.phys.utk.edu (David DeLaney):

>We have a lovely sapphire crushed velvet dress in the Talbots fall catalog,
>though it may be out of stock in your size... Dunno about the velvet fedora,
>but spike heels? No problemo!

Why wear anything if everyone is just going to take if off later?
That's just pure inefficency if you ask me. I'm going to the
Lovolution totally booty-ass naked.

On the other hand, if everyone goes naked then everyone will spend
the whole party saying, "No, I don't have a lighter either," because
no one will have any pockets.

In fact, clothing is nothing but inefficency. I'm just going to
wear pajamas all the time and wonder why no one will date me.

--
YON |
DER |

Andy Perry

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
In article <4d4ksc$p...@ceylon.gte.com>, neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us
(Doctress Neutopia) wrote:

>TheW...@Endor.com (be...@cais2.cais.com) wrote:
>
>: Uhm Libby? Let's, just for the sake of argument, say that I agreed with
>: you. Given the homeless problem here (I have no idea if there's one in
>: the UK), why on earth would you burn down buildings that could be used to
>: give people shelter? Not to mention the amount of pollution said razings
>: would create.
>
>The White House is a symbol of the American way of life.
>It is not an example of a solar powered palace of the people,
>but the house of military power and patriarchy.

Great. Libby, you ever hear the song "16 Tons?" "Some folks say a man's
made out of mud, but a poor man's made out of muscle and blood: muscle and
blood, skin and bone, a mind that's weak, and a back that's strong."

The point of the lyric is that (sometimes) metaphor is a luxury. This is
one of those times, I think. When asked "why don't you use this large
building to house people who need shelter?" you reply "'cause it's a
symbol of Evil." Do you really think that that three year old girl on the
corner and her 14 month old brother would rather stay on the streets in
the blizzard than inhabit a nice, warm, solid Evil Symbol?
--
Andy Perry We search before and after,
Brown University We pine for what is not.

Bev

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
In article <asuterDL...@netcom.com>,

Lupus Yonderboy <asu...@netcom.com> wrote:
>Thus spake d...@panacea.phys.utk.edu (David DeLaney):
>>We have a lovely sapphire crushed velvet dress in the Talbots fall catalog,
>>though it may be out of stock in your size... Dunno about the velvet fedora,
>>but spike heels? No problemo!

I have the dress. (Pictures were taken tonight.) Need the heels. Six inch
if at all possible.

>Why wear anything if everyone is just going to take if off later?

Um...if you have to ask, we're not sexually compatible.

>On the other hand, if everyone goes naked then everyone will spend
>the whole party saying, "No, I don't have a lighter either," because
>no one will have any pockets.

Isn't that what cleavage is for?

Discord: Almond Joy's got nuts. Mounds don't!
--
-=**=-[wedn...@tezcat.com -is- w e d n e s d a y -is- beverley r. white]

[http://www.tezcat.com/~wednsday/] [And I, my Lord -- may I say nothing?]

[i will embrace the sun upon my face come the day i awake the child inside
in the house of stone and light... -- martin page] -=*+*+*+**+*+*+*+*+*+=-

Bev

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
In article <Andrew_Perry-1...@cis-ts6-slip5.cis.brown.edu>,

Andy Perry <Andrew...@Brown.edu> wrote:
>Great. Libby, you ever hear the song "16 Tons?" "Some folks say a man's
>made out of mud, but a poor man's made out of muscle and blood: muscle and
>blood, skin and bone, a mind that's weak, and a back that's strong."

But that ain't workin'. That's the way you do it! You play the guitar on
the MTV...

*erk* I always mix those up....

be...@cais2.cais.com

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
Doctress Neutopia (neut...@genesis.nred.ma.us) wrote:
: TheW...@Endor.com (be...@cais2.cais.com) wrote:

: : Uhm Libby? Let's, just for the sake of argument, say that I agreed with
: : you. Given the homeless problem here (I have no idea if there's one in
: : the UK), why on earth would you burn down buildings that could be used to
: : give people shelter? Not to mention the amount of pollution said razings
: : would create.

: The White House is a symbol of the American way of life.
: It is not an example of a solar powered palace of the people,
: but the house of military power and patriarchy.

One with over a hundred rooms that could be used for housing instead of a
public temper tantrum. C'mon Libby, you should at least acknowledge that
if it weren't for that nasty ole "American way of life", you personally
would be in a much worse position materially. Tell me, do you think that
you could get away with this shit, say in Colombia, without being picked
up for questioning?

: It is not a place of openheartness and love, but a place

: of pretension and power over human rights. America
: is not a place of human rights, so why do they pretend to
: support them abroad?

Wow, it really is impressive how you manage to dodge answering the question.

--
Beth

Robert

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
Jaffo wrote:

> >Leigh Witchel (d...@panix.com) wrote:
>
> >: I wanna be the tea-time messiah. What is the proper attire to a
> >: luvalution or a massagasm? Does one wear white? Are gloves appropriate?
>
> >: LAW
>
> >: I myself will wear a black turtleneck and slacks, proper art-fag attire
> >: anywhere.
>
> >Wear what you think is beauty and comfortable.
> >Since some of us in the lovolution are very, very poor
> >they will wear rags. Others of us will have to share
> >our goods with them. Sharing is part of the lovolution.
>
> >The rich in the movement will also see the need to
> >burn the White House and Buckingham Palace.
>
> I will be wearing a bulletproof vest and a
> Delta Airlines vomit bag.

And I will be wearing jeans-a-la-grunge, a 90$ Pendleton Stewart Tartan
flannel, and a stick-on goatee. The masses, they must love me as I am.

Robert

Hong Ooi

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
b...@gandalf.rutgers.edu (Doctorb Science) wrote:

>rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU (Rich Holmes) writes:
>

>>Poetry ugly &
>>Unjustifiable
>>Awkward, etc.
>>He's in a rut
>
>I'm sorry to have to point this out and appear pedantic, Richard,
>but as Kibo has told us time and time again, justification is by
>non-punctuation characters alone. While your Game Boy-justified
>"poetry" is amusing, it is improperly justified, which is simply
>another way of saying that it is not justified at all. I'm very,
>very sorry if you feel I'm picking on you, but that's the way it
>goes sometimes. Nothing personal.

I do not understand
this fascination
with "full justification".

Why indeed is such a

restricted format
considered desirable?

Free verse
is much more

liberating.

Thank you.

Hong Ooi ho...@magna.com.au Sydney, Australia

be...@cais2.cais.com

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
Douglas Lathrop (lat...@primenet.com) wrote:
: TheW...@Endor.com <be...@cais2.cais.com> wrote:

: : Douglas Lathrop (lat...@primenet.com) wrote:

: : : You know, I REALLY want to know what happened during her visit there.

: : : The entertainment value aside, it would help me decide if I should worry
: : : about the Secret Service monitoring this newsgroup (for Libby's sake, I
: : : hope they aren't doing so, since I highly doubt they have the same
: : : well-honed sense of humor as the average MTN).

: : <heh heh> Don't be surprised, if one day, you have two non-descript
: : people in suits and Ray Bans, knocking at your door asking you if you love
: : your country. <evil grin>

: What do the Blues Brothers have to do with the Lovolution?

"We're on a mission from God(ess)".

Jesse Garon

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
In article <4d7rmp$g...@huitzilo.tezcat.com>, wedn...@tezcat.com (Bev) wrote:

> Andy Perry <Andrew...@Brown.edu> wrote:
> >Great. Libby, you ever hear the song "16 Tons?" "Some folks say a man's
> >made out of mud, but a poor man's made out of muscle and blood: muscle and
> >blood, skin and bone, a mind that's weak, and a back that's strong."

> But that ain't workin'. That's the way you do it! You play the guitar on
> the MTV...

> *erk* I always mix those up....

Lord, I am so tired. How long can this go on?

Oops. Different song entirely.

"Jesse Garon" gri...@primenet.com
Grifter Information Technologies/1230 Market #307/San Francisco 94102
Their M.O. is that they're good. http://www.primenet.com/~grifter/

Lupus Yonderboy

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
Thus spake ja...@onramp.net (Jaffo):

>>Everyone keep doing what your doing. Amen.
>
>Yonderboy has now vaulted into Second Place in the "Write Jaffo's Tombstone"
>Contest.

Only second place? Wah! Is it because of the grammatical error?
Who's in first place? The whole thing is rigged! I DEMAND A RECOUNT!
FOOLISH MORTALS! MUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Ummmmm. Sorry about that. It may be time to cut caffeine entirely
out of my diet.

>Stay tuned.

Roger Wilco!

--
Yonderboy. --------==> asu...@mentos.com <==--------- DETAILS/-\
"IF I ONLY HAD A BRAIN!" -- Lion FOR |

Lupus Yonderboy

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
Thus spake wedn...@tezcat.com (Bev):

>Lupus Yonderboy <asu...@netcom.com> wrote:
>>Thus spake d...@panacea.phys.utk.edu (David DeLaney):
>>>We have a lovely sapphire crushed velvet dress in the Talbots fall catalog,
>>>though it may be out of stock in your size... Dunno about the velvet fedora,
>>>but spike heels? No problemo!
>
>I have the dress. (Pictures were taken tonight.) Need the heels. Six inch
>if at all possible.

Six inch spiked heels scare me, but in a good way.

>>Why wear anything if everyone is just going to take if off later?
>
>Um...if you have to ask, we're not sexually compatible.

I was just thinking that not many people really explore the
possibilities that nudism offers. People spend so much time,
energy, and money on clothing.

BE NUDE FOR A BETTER TOMORROW.

On the other hand, some people should wear even more clothing
than they do already.

I guess there's no good solution.

>>On the other hand, if everyone goes naked then everyone will spend
>>the whole party saying, "No, I don't have a lighter either," because
>>no one will have any pockets.
>
>Isn't that what cleavage is for?

Thanks for the mammaries...

>Discord: Almond Joy's got nuts. Mounds don't!

Sometimes you feel like a nut... sometimes you don't.

--
\/onderboy !@#$%^&*(
/ asu...@mentos.com

be...@cais2.cais.com

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96
Lupus Yonderboy (asu...@netcom.com) wrote:
: Thus spake be...@cais2.cais.com (TheW...@Endor.com):
: >
: >Only if they're surgical, considering the state of her futon.

: Somehow, it doesn't surprise me that Drs. Neutopia has a futon.

: I've realized of late that I've been slacking in my job as Monster
: Trucking Neutopia's social chair so uh....

: Everyone keep doing what your doing. Amen.

So *you're* the person who's supposed to be planning the MTN National Rally
and Barbeque Fest.

Jesse Garon

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96
asu...@netcom.com (Lupus Yonderboy) wrote:

> Thus spake wedn...@tezcat.com (Bev):
> >Lupus Yonderboy <asu...@netcom.com> wrote:

> >>Why wear anything if everyone is just going to take if off later?

> >Um...if you have to ask, we're not sexually compatible.

> I was just thinking that not many people really explore the
> possibilities that nudism offers. People spend so much time,
> energy, and money on clothing.
>
> BE NUDE FOR A BETTER TOMORROW.

Now hold on a minute. I have seen A BETTER TOMORROW, and also I saw A
BETTER TOMORROW 2, and I do not remember any part of either film that
required nudity. Even the hookers in that one scene in the first film
where Chow Yun Fat walks down the hall planting pistols in the potted
plants have their clothes on. So I do not see why one has to be nude,
for A BETTER TOMORROW. If we were talking about NAKED KILLER, that is
a different story. Any film about lesbian hit squads requires lots of
naked bodies -- although it makes hiding the guns harder.

be...@cais2.cais.com

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96
Jaffo (ja...@onramp.net) wrote:

<snip>

: Jaffo

: Dear Friends, if you see Jaffo roaming around loose or getting into trouble,
: please fetch him out of traffic and send him home. He responds to simple
: verbal commands and will usually come to you if you offer him food.
: He lives at: http://rampages.onramp.net/~jaffo

Oh dear. My SO has put his foot down about my picking up anymore
strays. But Jaffo sounds like he needs the mellowing influence of Jones,
Bubba, and Fifi (the destroyer). They never stray too far (though Bubba
*will* get stuck behind the bookcases).

Lupus Yonderboy

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96
Thus spake be...@cais2.cais.com (TheW...@Endor.com):

>Lupus Yonderboy (asu...@netcom.com) wrote:
>: I've realized of late that I've been slacking in my job as Monster
>: Trucking Neutopia's social chair so uh....
>
>: Everyone keep doing what your doing. Amen.
>
>So *you're* the person who's supposed to be planning the MTN National Rally
>and Barbeque Fest.

Barbeque? BARBEQUE?

NOW you tell me!

I've been roasting Malibu Barbi's for WEEKS in preparation for the
MTN National Rally and Barbi Fest..!!

Monster Truckin' Neutopia: A Barbi in every pot!

ONE GALLON OF FREE PETROL TO THE FIRST PERSON TO SHOW UP!

--
\/onderboy. Who coined the phrase, "Monster Truckin' Neutopia". So there.
/ asu...@mentos.com

Lupus Yonderboy

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96
Thus spake ja...@onramp.net (Jaffo):
>Yup, this definately confirms it. I will be wearing a bulletproof vest and a
>Delta Airlines vomit bag.

On Qantas, each seat had a little paper bag. You had the choice
of putting your film in it, to get it developed, or throwing up
in it.

I fooled them though, I did both!

--
\/onderboy
/

Jaffo

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96
>Only second place? Wah! Is it because of the grammatical error?
>Who's in first place?

Beverday is in first place for, let's see if I can find it....Here it is:

>Oh, generic spiritual icon on a crutch, people; it's been months. Contend.
>Cope. Deal. Get over it.

>Ummmmm. Sorry about that. It may be time to cut caffeine entirely
>out of my diet.

Oh God forbid. If you stop using caffine, ARK traffic will plummet like the
stock market.

Andy Perry

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
In article <4d7rmp$g...@huitzilo.tezcat.com>, wedn...@tezcat.com (Bev) wrote:

>In article <Andrew_Perry-1...@cis-ts6-slip5.cis.brown.edu>,

>Andy Perry <Andrew...@Brown.edu> wrote:
>>Great. Libby, you ever hear the song "16 Tons?" "Some folks say a man's
>>made out of mud, but a poor man's made out of muscle and blood: muscle and
>>blood, skin and bone, a mind that's weak, and a back that's strong."
>
>But that ain't workin'. That's the way you do it! You play the guitar on
>the MTV...

Well, *you* may play the guitar on the MTV. Me, I'm playin' my guitar
lyin' underneath the stars, just thankin' the Lord for my fingers.

It's acoustic, of course, seeing as how my electric guitar was run over by
a car on the highway.

Andy "You do not want to get into a lyric war with me...:)" Perry

Andy Perry

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
In article <4d72ti$2...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, matt...@aol.com (MattWard)
wrote:

>I don't know what the question was, but Perry's answer sure (ly) sounds
>good.

My answers always *sound* good. That's why so many poor
sap^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H loyal supporters embrace my teachings. It's how we
clever and seductive postmodern academics operate, disseminating
pleasant-sounding but ultimately nihilistic sentiments, warping young
minds and destroying the cultural fabric of America as we go. Don't you
read Newsweek?

Jesse Garon

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
Andrew...@Brown.edu (Andy Perry) wrote:

> In article <4d7rmp$g...@huitzilo.tezcat.com>, wedn...@tezcat.com (Bev) wrote:
> >But that ain't workin'. That's the way you do it! You play the guitar on
> >the MTV...

> Well, *you* may play the guitar on the MTV. Me, I'm playin' my guitar
> lyin' underneath the stars, just thankin' the Lord for my fingers.

> It's acoustic, of course, seeing as how my electric guitar was run over by
> a car on the highway.

Damn. That's practically a crime against the state.

I like to laugh at people. I'm setting a bad example.

Carlos May

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
'Jesse Garon' (gri...@primenet.com) wrote:
: Andrew...@Brown.edu (Andy Perry) wrote:

: > Well, *you* may play the guitar on the MTV. Me, I'm playin' my guitar

: > lyin' underneath the stars, just thankin' the Lord for my fingers.
:
: > It's acoustic, of course, seeing as how my electric guitar was run over by
: > a car on the highway.

: Damn. That's practically a crime against the state.

I think it should be a crime against the state to touch an electric
guitar until one has actually learned how to play an acoustic one.

Ineptitute should not be amplified.

But then, I don't own any stock in MTV.

* fro...@neosoft.com "The Information Super-frog" [dibs] *

Rich Holmes

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
In article <30f7b57...@news.magna.com.au> ho...@magna.com.au (Hong Ooi) writes:

>b...@gandalf.rutgers.edu (Doctorb Science) wrote:
>
>>rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU (Rich Holmes) writes:
>>

>>>Poetry ugly &
>>>Unjustifiable
>>>Awkward, etc.
>>>He's in a rut
>>
>>I'm sorry to have to point this out and appear pedantic, Richard,
>>but as Kibo has told us time and time again, justification is by
>>non-punctuation characters alone. While your Game Boy-justified
>>"poetry" is amusing, it is improperly justified, which is simply
>>another way of saying that it is not justified at all. I'm very,
>>very sorry if you feel I'm picking on you, but that's the way it
>>goes sometimes. Nothing personal.
>
>I do not understand
> this fascination
> with "full justification".
>
>Why indeed is such a
>
> restricted format
> considered desirable?
>
>Free verse
> is much more
>
> liberating.
>
>Thank you.

That's what sucks about being a poet: everybody and his illegitimate
stepson want to tell you you're doing it wrong. First Doctorb
Science, who can't seem to fathom the idea that there can be more than
one kind of justification, and that my justification for my
justification is not mandatory. Then Hong, who's incapable of
distinguishing "liberation" from "couch-potato laziness" I could

put my words
on different
lines

and claim they were
free verse
and that this is

a liberating form of art

and if there were artistic justice in this world I'd be run out of
town on a rail; instead, I'd probably get an NEA grant while the mad
geniuses of constrained poetry (Mike Keith, author of "Poe, E.: Near a
Raven" (http://users.aol.com/s6sj7gt/mikerav.htm), comes to mind)
starve on the heating grates.

Heroic masters of the metric verse,
Original despite the form's contraints,
Negate the claim that poetry's the worse
Gestated without phony "free verse" taints.
O, muse! you give the poet stringent rules;
O, art! you dictate form and beat and rhyme.
I bow to you, excoriating fools
Insipid, whose "prose poems" waste my time.
Serene encaged in rules, I make up more,
Adept, I strive to make the form more strait;
Deluded not by modernistic whore,
Oblivious, I narrow heaven's gate,
Perhaps to write a work to suit my pride --
Enough! Constraints are fully justified.

--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes

`Nobody has a "Bruce Ediger" quote in their .sig - not even me.'
- Bruce Ediger

Randy Mills

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
Rich Holmes (rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU) wrote:

[crank induced rant snipped with glee]

Three words my friend...

Steven Jesse Bernstein

Bev

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
In article <Andrew_Perry-1...@cis-ts6-slip4.cis.brown.edu>,

Andy Perry <Andrew...@Brown.edu> wrote:
>In article <4d7rmp$g...@huitzilo.tezcat.com>, wedn...@tezcat.com (Bev) wrote:
>
>>In article <Andrew_Perry-1...@cis-ts6-slip5.cis.brown.edu>,
>>Andy Perry <Andrew...@Brown.edu> wrote:
>>>Great. Libby, you ever hear the song "16 Tons?" "Some folks say a man's
>>>made out of mud, but a poor man's made out of muscle and blood: muscle and
>>>blood, skin and bone, a mind that's weak, and a back that's strong."
>>
>>But that ain't workin'. That's the way you do it! You play the guitar on
>>the MTV...

>Well, *you* may play the guitar on the MTV. Me, I'm playin' my guitar
>lyin' underneath the stars, just thankin' the Lord for my fingers.
>
>It's acoustic, of course, seeing as how my electric guitar was run over by
>a car on the highway.

Well, life *is* a highway. And I want to ride it all night long. If you're
going my way, I'd like to drive you all night long.
--
-=*=-[wedn...@tezcat.com -is- w e d n e s d a y -is- beverley r. white]

[http://www.tezcat.com/~wednsday/] [And I, my Lord -- may I say nothing?]

-=* [Join the parade. Wave a flag...tell the world it's your lackey.] *=-

Alan L. Bostick

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
fro...@praline.no.NeoSoft.com (Carlos May) writes:

>'Jesse Garon' (gri...@primenet.com) wrote:
>: Andrew...@Brown.edu (Andy Perry) wrote:

>: > Well, *you* may play the guitar on the MTV. Me, I'm playin' my guitar

>: > lyin' underneath the stars, just thankin' the Lord for my fingers.
>:
>: > It's acoustic, of course, seeing as how my electric guitar was run over by
>: > a car on the highway.

>: Damn. That's practically a crime against the state.

>I think it should be a crime against the state to touch an electric
>guitar until one has actually learned how to play an acoustic one.

>Ineptitute should not be amplified.

>But then, I don't own any stock in MTV.

It is elitist attitudes like this one, that music is the perogative of
special people called "musicians" that revolutionaries like Johnny Rotten
struggled to overturn in the "punk rock" movement - actually an extension
of the Dada, Lettrist, and Situationist artistic and philosophical
movements. Please refer to what Guy de Bord wrote on the notion of Spectacle
in modern society.

Alan "That ain't workin', that's the way to do it!" Bostick
--
Alan Bostick | He played the king as if afraid someone else
Seeking opportunity to | would play the ace.
develop multimedia content. | John Mason Brown, drama critic
Finger abos...@netcom.com for more info and PGP public key

It is loading more messages.