I know some people hate this, but.....

1 view

oldsp...@comcast.net

Nov 10, 2007, 1:39:46 PM11/10/07
Im gonna do it anyway. Norman Mailer just passed away. Now what
connection does he have to RHPS, you might ask, and Ill tell you. Me.
I knew Norman, he was a friend, and for a time, my boss. In 1966, I
worked as Norman and Beverly Mailers maid in Provincetown. It was a
great job actually. Norman was very funny, very sarcastic and very
perceptive. He was also a complete bumbling ass upon occasion, such as
the time in the winter of 1969-70 when he came to my apartment early
in the morning, ostensibly to look at a friends paintings which were
hanging all across my walls in an impromptu exhibit, with an eye to
buying one of them. I was still in bed and was suddenly awakened by
sounds in my room. I grabbed for my glasses and put them on to find
Norman fumbling around my bedroom looking for a lightswitch. I yelled
at him to get out and he began stammering that he was looking for
Georges paintings, which didnt happen to be in my room. It was
hysterical watching the Great American Intellectual freaking out and
backing embarrassedly out of my room with me chasing him wrapped only
in a sheet!
Norman took me to P-Town parties where I met the likes of Robert
Motherwell and his wife the artist Helen Frankenthaler, Hans Hoffmann
and many others. It was good days and many crazed dinner parties where
I was ostensibly helping out but ended up at the table sharing the
meal.
I remember sitting at the piano while he attempted to teach my friend
Francesca how to play but was so drunk he fell over off the stool. I
remember having an ice cream fight with him and then wife Carol when
he had lost his house on the beach and was living next to my friend
George in a tiny crap apartment. We pelted each other with handfuls of
ice cream while his kids laughed like banshees.
Ill miss the man I havent seen since 1975. He was a great man.
Bev

Cosmo's Factory

Nov 11, 2007, 3:38:11 AM11/11/07
On Nov 10, 2:39 pm, oldspic...@comcast.net wrote:
> Im gonna do it anyway. Norman Mailer just passed away. Now what
> connection does he have to RHPS, you might ask, and Ill tell you.

So what connection does Norman Mailer have to RHPS ?
I'm just kidding Bev. :-)

- Cosmo

Bill, Unkie Bill, hey buddy you cant sleep here move it along, etc

Nov 11, 2007, 4:50:59 PM11/11/07

> > Im gonna do it anyway. Norman Mailer just passed away.

" We're gonna do it anyhow anyhow, we're goona do it anyhow
anyhow..we're gonna do it, we just gotta keep going..."

Sorry Bev, Shock Treatment invaded my mind for a second there.

Post whatever you want about people dying Bev, its no big deal, and
I would rather read about Norman Mailers death then a string of "
MI5PERSECUTION" crap.

Bill :)

James

Nov 11, 2007, 7:13:37 PM11/11/07
On Nov 11, 2:50 pm, "Bill, Unkie Bill, hey buddy you cant sleep here

move it along, etc" <RHPSBertSchn...@aol.com> wrote:

> Post whatever you want about people dying Bev, its no big deal, and
> I would rather read about Norman Mailers death then a string of "
> MI5PERSECUTION" crap.

Before Bill speaks for the entire newsgroup on "its no big deal" I
would like to refer back to this thread.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.cult-movies.rocky-horror/browse_thread/thread/f676193aa8739d06/1f4038363c59e9ee?lnk=gst&q=rip#1f4038363c59e9ee

But... having said that, the real problem there it was a few people
posting the same kind of stuff over and over and over again, seemingly
for this reason.

"Can we just start an OBIT newsgroup? Or is there some kind of
contest
to see who can post a death first no matter how esoteric? "

Also, it hovered between rather depressing and rather pointless, and I
think a lot of people stopped reading the newsgroup because it was
flooded with crap.

Bev, the last 20 or 30 posts you had talked strictly about RHPS
stuff... I don't think ONE RIP off-topic posting where you had a
personal connection is out of line at all.

I will agree with Bill on this part....

" I would rather read about Norman Mailers death then a string of "
> MI5PERSECUTION" crap"

If anyone has Outlook 2007, e-mail me and I'll tell you how to set it
up both to read the newsgroup AND get rid of this MI5 crap.

Cosmo's Factory

Nov 12, 2007, 2:04:16 PM11/12/07
I read my usenet via google. I used to use another website, I can't
recall the name but it went away.
Why does the MI5 stuff keep coming back? Is it an anniversary or
something? Is Mark M finally going back
and passing judgement on it, on a case by case basis? I saw in a
video on youtube that that's the only way
to get problems resolved...

What if we used the alt.cult-movies-revenge-of-the-old-queen newsgroup
for the obits, Lord knows thats dead!

Hey, James if you know a better way in 2007 to do it, lay it on me.

- Cosmo
"Nah... Nah..."

Bill, Unkie Bill, hey buddy you cant sleep here move it along, etc

Nov 13, 2007, 2:54:45 AM11/13/07

> Before Bill speaks for the entire newsgroup on "its no big deal" I
> would like to refer back to this thread...

I never said I was speaking for the entire newsgroup. I signed my
name " Bill" which means I speak for myself. :)

Bill

oldsp...@comcast.net

Nov 13, 2007, 12:17:52 PM11/13/07
On Nov 13, 12:54 am, "Bill, Unkie Bill, hey buddy you cant sleep here

move it along, etc" <RHPSBertSchn...@aol.com> wrote:

I actually do agree in general about obits, they are depressing and
oft times have nothing to do with the topic at hand here. And I
particularly agree with the fact that those annoying MI5 pieces of
garbage are garbage and make no sense whatever the content. I just
dont have Outlook 2007 so I try to ignore them.
At least we seem to have lost Adam and crazy Susan........although Ill
admit she was fun to bait!
Bev

AZRocky

Nov 14, 2007, 3:28:13 AM11/14/07
Maybe someday we can write an obit for the author of the MI-5 posts.

Arthur Levesque

Nov 24, 2007, 2:33:19 PM11/24/07
Full article: http://johannhari.com/archive/article.php?id=1212

...For the past six days, we have been saturated with tributes to the
"greatness" of Norman Mailer. Not just his work, but his life. He has been
called "brave", "determined to experience life's richness",
"compassionate", even "nice." It is only noted briefly that he violently
despised women. He said they are "low, sloppy beasts; they should be kept
in cages." He campaigned to halt every move to give women control over
their lives, including birth control - because he said he wanted to retain
the "thrill" of knowing the woman he was having sex with might later die in
childbirth. He said that feminists wanted to "destroy men", and wrote a
bizarre 300-page book - 'The Prisoner of Sex' - to 'prove' it.
He acted on this hate. He beat his young wife Adele, punching her in
the stomach when she was six months pregnant, and coercing her to have
group sex with his friends. One night, in the middel of a party, he picked
up a knife and stabbed her. He cut through her breast, only just missing
her heart. Then he stabbed her in the back. As she lay there,
haemorraghing, one man reached down to help her. He snapped, "Get away from
her. Let the bitch die."
Adele never really recovered. She developed pleurisy, and started
hacking up black phlegm ten times a day. She was too scared even to press
charges. She became an alcoholic, sank into poverty, and could never trust
a man again. When, years later, she told her story in the book 'The Last
Party', the reviews slapped her down. They called her "whiny", "a shrill
lush", and "nauseating". The subtext was: how dare this uppity bitch
complain about Our Icon? Some even seem to subconsciously believe that
stabbing her made him a better writer - as if one woman is worth
sacrificing on the altar of "genius," and it is churlish of her to keep
stubbornly speaking.
(Of course, I believe an artist's work should be assessed entirely
separately to his personal life. If we discovered tomorrow that Shakespeare
was a child molestor, King Lear would still be a masterpiece. But Mailer's
misogyny infests his work. As the feminist writer Kate Millett pointed out,
his 1965 novel 'An American Dream' "is an exercise in how to kill your wife
and be happy ever after." It's revealing that his only genuinely brilliant
novel - 'The Naked and the Dead' - has no female characters.)
If Norman Mailer had said black people should be kept in cages, if he
had said the civil rights movement wanted to "destroy white people", if he
had stabbed a black man in a racist fury, the first line of every obituary
would mentioned it. So why is hatred of women taken less seriously?
--
/\ Arthur Levesque <fnord?> http://boog.org & http://DammitJa.net __
\B\ack King of the Potato People & shanana-Cobain <*> Urban Spaceman (oO)

Cosmo's Factory

Nov 25, 2007, 3:36:54 AM11/25/07
Which Transylvanian was he?

- Cosmo

Quality

Dec 3, 2007, 11:39:38 PM12/3/07

Apparently the really angry one.

---
Art Laurie means Quality! Ask for him by name!
Quality Brad since 1979! Aim/LJ/Yahoo Quality617
The Teseracte Players of Boston! The Full Body Cast!
We keep you alive to serve this show.

"Cosmo's Factory" <jimh...@gmail.com> wrote in message