OT: #3 is Billy Wilder

MIBecky

Mar 28, 2002, 5:10:13 PM3/28/02
"LOS ANGELES (AP) - Oscar-winning filmmaker Billy Wilder, the Austrian-born
cynic whose gifts for writing and directing led to such classics as "Sunset
Boulevard," "The Seven Year Itch," "Some Like it Hot" and "Double Indemnity,"
has died, a family friend said Thursday. He was 95."

MIBecky
--
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"

Randy Brown

Mar 29, 2002, 6:10:53 AM3/29/02
Wilder also did two of my favorites, "The Fortune Cookie" and "The Front
Page", both starring Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. There's an RHPS
connection: Susan Sarandon played Lemmon's fiancee in "The Front Page"
and she sang "Button Up Your Overcoat" (aka "Take Good Care of
Yourself"). She was in this immediately before "Rocky".

--Randy Brown

Atlas

Mar 29, 2002, 7:13:24 AM3/29/02
I thought Susan claimed to have never sung before Rocky...

--
A+las
Older Creepy Guy with Camera

I'm the friendly stranger in the black sedan
Won't you hop inside my car?
I got pictures I got candy. I'm a lovable man.
I can take you to the nearest star.

It takes a lot of skill to drive this badly

Vampire Goddess D

Mar 29, 2002, 8:04:46 AM3/29/02
Funny, cuz her partner, Tim Robbins, sang the same song in "The Sure Thing".
Funny things eh.
That's three....
Kisses, whips and oreos,
Danielle

In article <3CA45A64...@yahoo.com>, Atlas <atla...@yahoo.com> says...

--
Danielle aka The Vampire Goddess D
Cast Orgainzer

"Raven hair, Ruby lips, sparks fly from her fingertips... she's a restless
spirit on a moonlight night." The Eagles

"So until we meet again, I am thinking of you always. I love you. I wish you
were here; in my arms." - The Vampire Lestat

Randy Brown

Mar 29, 2002, 5:55:34 PM3/29/02
Atlas <atla...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3CA45A64...@yahoo.com>...

> I thought Susan claimed to have never sung before Rocky...

Maybe she said she never had a "singing role" before Janet, as opposed
to a role where she sung only one song (as in "Front Page"). Also,
it's possible that she did "Front Page" AFTER "RHPS", but I doubt
it...she would have had to film it sometime after October 1974, and
"Front Page" came out at the end of 1974. It would have been
impossible to put out a dramatic movie that quickly. (The Internet
Movie Database doesn't have a US release date; the site says it came
out in Sweden in January 1975.)

Susan's part in "The Front Page" is fairly small. She plays Peggy
Grant, the fiancee of newspaper reporter Hildy Johnson. Hildy wants
to leave his Chicago paper, marry Peggy, and go into her uncle's
advertising business. However, Hildy's boss, shady editor Walter
Burns (Matthau) uses every trick in his vast repertoire to keep Hildy
on the job and cover the execution of a cop-killer. (Burns'
"Examiner" is a sleazy paper similar to the New York Post.) Also
appearing is Carol Burnett as Mollie Malloy, a "hooker with a heart of
gold".

Susan's character is also a widow who supports herself by playing
organ and singing during intermission at a downtown movie palace (the
story is set in the late 1920's). "Button Up Your Overcoat" is one of
those "follow the bouncing ball" sing-alongs, what we'd call karaoke
today.

"The Front Page" was the third of four movies based on the Ben
Hecht-Chas. MacArthur play. There was a "Front Page" in 1931, which
Wilder's version follows almost word-for-word. The best-known version
is "His Girl Friday", a classic screwball comedy in which Hildy
Johnson is: a)a woman, and b)the ex-wife of Walter Burns! "His Girl
Friday" was the model for 1988's "Switching Channels", with Burt
Reynolds and some blonde broad named Turner. Finally, there was a
short-lived "Front Page" TV series on CBS in 1949-50.

Whew!!

--Randy Brown