Rocky Horror murder in Baton Rouge...

DogProfit

Aug 22, 2001, 12:41:27 PM8/22/01
As the co-director of the documentary about the Superheroes cast in Baton
Rouge, I felt it was my duty to inform the rest of the Rocky community of this
latest developement here in Baton Rouge. Michael L. Hood, who performed here as
both Rocky and Riff-Raff was arrested yesterday of first degree muder. It is
the belief of Louisiana police that Michael and another young man robbed a
supermarket and stabbed the man to death before making off with more than
$30,000.00.

As a cast, we are stunned beyond belief as this alleged murder happened about a
month and a half before Michael joined the cast. I would just like to express
my sympathy for the family of Steven Rogers for their loss, and say that all of
us connected with the Superheroes cast hopes that justice will prevail, no
matter whom the murderer proves to be.

As I'm sure you can imagine, we are all at a loss for words. All I can say is
that at no time during the filming of this documentary did Michael say or do
anything to make us think he was anything other than a wonderful person. It is
because of this that we are all basically shell-shocked by these recent events.
Whatever the facts may be, it is my personal hope that Michael finds some
peace.

For everyone reading this, take the time out this weekend to tell your
castmates how much they mean to you and remember to appreciate everyone
connected with your show.

Johnny- Superheroes of Baton Rouge

Mark Tomaino

Aug 22, 2001, 4:00:45 PM8/22/01
[...]

...hopefully it is not true...but murderers usually dont go around acting like
murderers

It is
because of this that we are all basically shell-shocked by these recent events.
Whatever the facts may be, it is my personal hope that Michael finds some
peace.

.and the family of the victim

For everyone reading this, take the time out this weekend to tell your
castmates how much they mean to you and remember to appreciate everyone
connected with your show.

.....except if they are murderers...then vote them out at once.

Johnny- Superheroes of Baton Rouge

...thank you Johnny...I am sure you are very freaked out about this. I know
your cast needs each other to deal with this trauma.....maybe you will all come
closer.

Mark

-------
Rocky Horror: www.midnightinsanity.com
Matchmaking Services: www.intouchdating.com
714-772-RHPS PO Box 8632 Anaheim CA 92812

Rambam

Aug 22, 2001, 7:37:17 PM8/22/01
Wow! That is an awful blow for anyone to face! On behalf of my entire
cast let me offer our condolences and best wishes. Let the NG know if
there is anything the national Rocky community can do for you.

Andrew Altman
co-cast manager - Colorado's Elusive Ingredient
Denver Colorado
www.rockyhorror.8k.com

Mark Tomaino

Aug 22, 2001, 7:52:49 PM8/22/01
>ject: Re: Rocky Horror murder in Baton Rouge...
>From: rhps...@aol.com (Rambam)
>Date: 8/22/2001 4:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time

>Wow! That is an awful blow for anyone to face! On behalf of my entire
>cast let me offer our condolences and best wishes. Let the NG know if
>there is anything the national Rocky community can do for you.

We can each volunteer our own selves thanks...you speak for who you speak for.

Shawn McHorse

Aug 22, 2001, 11:03:29 PM8/22/01
In article <20010822124127...@mb-ch.aol.com>,
dogp...@aol.com says...

> As the co-director of the documentary about the Superheroes cast in
> Baton Rouge, I felt it was my duty to inform the rest of the Rocky
> community of this latest developement here in Baton Rouge. Michael L.
> Hood, who performed here as both Rocky and Riff-Raff was arrested
> yesterday of first degree muder.

You don't seem to leave much room for innocence in your posting here.
That a cast member was charged with murder is still a very big deal of
course, but it seems like you're already writing him off as guilty before
he's even had a trial or anything. And in case he is innocent, plastering
his full name on the newsgroup as a murderer would be a bad thing I think.

At any rate, this reminded me of something similar that happened locally
here in Austin, Texas a few months ago. It all started back in December
1991 when four teenaged girls were found stripped, gagged, bound, shot to
death, and burned at an I Can't Believe It's Yogurt shop near Northcross
Mall. At the time, Rocky Horror played every Friday and Saturday night at
the theater in Northcross Mall.

Apparently the Austin police didn't handle the 'yogurt shop murders' very
well at the time (a local paper called their investigation "scattershot,
overly aggressive, and just plain incompetent"). So nothing substantial
came of their investigation until late 1999 when four men (teenaged boys
at the time) were charged with the four murders. The first defendant to
go to trial, Robert Springsteen, was convicted a couple of months ago in
June.

The interesting part is Robert Springsteen's alleged alibi. He claimed
that he could not have committed the murders because he was attending The
Rocky Horror Picture Show in Northcross Mall, as he was most weekends at
the time. Since the murders were so gruesome and shocking at the time
there was a whole media circus surrounding this belated trial, and Rocky
Horror was mentioned on the local news repeatedly due to his alibi.
Interesting local exposure to say the least. For more info, here are a
few articles I found online:

http://www.auschron.com/issues/dispatch/2001-06-01/pols_naked2.html
http://www.amarillonet.com/stories/051701/tex_coerced.shtml
http://www.texas-justice.com/txmthly/underthegun.htm
http://www.texas-justice.com/affidavits/rbstranscript.htm

--
Shawn McHorse
sh...@rockymusic.org

BilBrennan

Aug 23, 2001, 4:23:02 AM8/23/01

That's just some fucked up shit...I dont know what to say... :-(

Bill

"there's a light in the darkness of everybodys life..."

DrDimitri

Aug 23, 2001, 6:38:42 AM8/23/01

> That's just some fucked up shit...I dont know what to say... :-(
>
> Bill

How about...let's not condemn the man before the trial or anything else is said
and done with!
I admit, it's hard to deal with, if you know the guy. But, I do not.
IF he did commit the crime, I hope he gets what he deserves. IF he did not, I
hope his cast will be there to back him up and welcome him back into their
folds.

Marc Berman "Still the National Jew of Rocky Horror"
Actor w/ Barely Legal, Oakland, CA
Alumni:Erotic Nightmares, Bawdy Caste, Cosmic Light, Under Sedation
drdi...@aol.com
http://www.barelylegal.rhps.org
Awarded "Biggest Nut on the Net"

DogProfit

Aug 23, 2001, 9:52:18 AM8/23/01

My post to the NG was short and to the point. As the director of a film, I know
that my footage will be used by both the prosecution and defense teams on
Michael's case, and my primary goal was to distance myself, my film, my crew
and the other subjects of the film from this horrible event.
As for Michael being guilty, I am glad it's not my decision. At this point, no
one on our cast is pointing the finger at Michael as all of the facts are not
yet in and because we all still want to believe it's not true. This would be
the reason for me using words like "apparently" and "alleged". As for me using
Mike's name, I'm sorry but we live in an information age and Rocky plays a
major part in Mike's story. These details can be found with a few key strokes
for anyone with an intrest. It's big news here in B.R. and it's not really hard
to find the info. I can not be more succint than saying the crime is "alleged"
at this point. So, yes, I do leave room for innocence, and nothing would please
the cast of Superheroes more than to find him totally innocent. If my stance on
this was not made 100% clear, then I'll take the rap for that. This is a very
trying and emotional time for everyone involved here and I posted mainly as a
means for catharsis. Anyway, I hope our take on this matter is more clear now.

JamieR

Aug 23, 2001, 2:53:25 PM8/23/01
To Johnny and Superheroes cast,
Wow, I honestly don't know what to say; I'm shocked. I had actually
heard something about this earlier today from my grandfather, who
lives in Baton Rouge (I attended about six of your shows while I was
visiting him earlier this summer) but neither of us thought...Anyway,
my thoughts and sympathy are with the entire cast, and I honestly hope
that Michael is found innocent. There's not really much else I can
say.
Sincerely,
Jamie

CHEFLARK

Aug 23, 2001, 4:45:16 PM8/23/01
this whole thing reminds me of the Columbine trouble in Denver. DDt thought we
were going to have fall out because Harris and Celbold were big fans of Rocky
and DDT, not only that but a prominate (sp) cast member was mentioned in one of
their diary's and even called by the police for information on the killings.
My heart goes out to Superheros and to the families of this new tradgde (sp).

Kelley
"Check ya later, Betty. Gotta freshin' up"

DogProfit

Aug 24, 2001, 3:34:06 PM8/24/01
Jamie,
thanks for the kind e-mail. As you can imagine, our cast is trying their best
to rally themslves after these recent events, but it's proving difficult. This
last rehearsal on Wed, there was nothing but tears, so we used it as a time for
us all to stand before one another and and just say what we were feeling. We
offered up a prayer for the murdered man and his family, and also for ourselves
to continue being able to do a good show, and also one for Mike... all we can
do is pray he's either innocent or that his justice will be swift and fair
should he be guilty. Mike was indicted yesterday with less than 24 hours of
deciding by a jury, so we feel they must have something on him. Still, we hope
it's all one big mistake. For now, Superheroes plans to just try and put itself
back together and lean on one another as we need to. Hard as it is, we all have
to try and put this behind us and move on... the show must go on. Let's hope we
can get it together. At any rate, I hope you enjoyed our shows you saw, and I
hope we can continue to entertain and perform well in the weeks to come.
Thanks again,