(OT) 12-08-03 Where were you 23 years ago tonight?

Randy Brown

Dec 8, 2003, 8:57:46 PM12/8/03
I was up in my room listening to a progressive-rock LP (Caravan, "For
Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night"). Mom was watching football on ABC
for some reason...she called up to me and said that John Lennon had
been shot. Right away I put the radio on, and within minutes the
terrible news had been confirmed. Needless to say I did not sleep
that night.

My best friend Jaynie, who was at the time a far bigger Beatles fan
than I, didn't hear about it until next morning.

I was born on 7/19/59, five and a half months after Buddy Holly's
fateful plane ride. But for me, and a lot of others, 12/8/80 was "the
day the music died."

Anyone else who was around then remember what they were doing that
night?

--RB

Sgt. Pepper - A splendid time is guaranteed for all...

Dec 8, 2003, 10:40:52 PM12/8/03
In article <57807858.03120...@posting.google.com>,
ente...@hotmail.com (Randy Brown) says...

Well, my father was putting wood paneling up in the basement listening to the
radio. He recalls them playing three Beatle songs in a row and the DJ coming
on and saying "The Late Great John Lennon". He went up stairs and told my
mother who was trying to get me to sleep in my crib. I was 3 1/2 months old.
And anyone here who knows me, Randy I know you know what John is to me,
andone who doesn't should look at my online Handles. A man who died almost at
the same time of my birth to be the greatest idol and influence on my life
beyond words says alot.
--
Back off man, I'm a scientist
ryan knoxville

Krissy

Dec 8, 2003, 11:14:32 PM12/8/03
i was busy with my gestation period in my mommy's tummy! umm yay!

--
Weeeeeeee.....

www.thebobbleheads.com
(Shameless plug for my boyfriend's band...yay Phil!)

In article <oez9herh9e...@news.rockynewsgroup.org>, Sgt. Pepper - A
splendid time is guaranteed for all...
<pablo...@hotmail.cometogetherrightnowoverme> says...

Art Laurie

Dec 8, 2003, 11:39:43 PM12/8/03
In article <57807858.03120...@posting.google.com>,
ente...@hotmail.com (Randy Brown) says...
> Anyone else who was around then remember what they were doing that
> night?

Recovering from a Rocky weekend, and throwing a random audience member out of
my apartment when they said "John who?".

--
Art Laurie means Quality! Ask for him by name!
Quality Brad since 1979! AIM/Yahoo/Livejournal Quality617

BertSchnik

Dec 8, 2003, 11:56:41 PM12/8/03

23 years ago today, I would have been 15 and it would have been 1980...if it
was a monday, then I was probably just waking up from the weekends partying at
RHPS in NYC.

Bill

Dec 9, 2003, 12:42:41 AM12/9/03
I was off track at school (we had a few months on, then a week or two off, so I
technically went to school all year round). I woke up to "(Just Like) Starting
Over" blaring through the house... which in itself was odd, my parents never
really blasted music very loud.

I went out into the living room to see why the music was so loud when I noticed
my mother in a fetal position on the floor crying. When I asked what was wrong,
she told me John Lennon had died. Being only a year older than John's son was,
it didn't really make a whole lot of sense. But it triggered my mothers first
serious bout of depression (which lasted a few months) and I remember not
understanding too much about this John Lennon guy, but praying to God to bring
him back so my mom would stop being sad.

(Wow, come to think of it, that's a powerful memory)

I know for myself that it never hit me at all until I saw Imagine:John Lennon
in the theater. I had grown up with John being gone, and I guess the brutality
and senselessness of his death didn't occur to me until I saw that. *shrug*

Peace, Love, and RO'B,
Q,
W.S.A.*

*As determined by the Norman rating scale.

Beverly Gerrish

Dec 9, 2003, 1:35:38 PM12/9/03
I was sitting in the restaurant my husband cooked in, in Bailey, Colorado. It
came as a shock even though I was never a Beatles fan. It was the senseless
stupidity of it that upset me. I had never met John or anything, but was in a
club in London in 1967 one night when he and Paul came in with their women,
both drunk and stumbling, so I actually did see him.
The one that really got me was the death of Brian Jones. Ill never forget that.
I had known Brian since before the Stones were famous, coz they were the bar
band at my local club, Eel Pie Island, also the Richmond, and when I heard the
news I was in my photo studio developing some pictures. My mothers cleaning
woman came running down to give me the news since she knew I needed to know. I
just went into stunned shock, then got on the phone right away and spoke to a
friend of mine, George, who was one of the Stones flunkies. Actually their drug
dealer, but who cares. I remember being asked to attend the concert in Hyde
Park as a staff photographer, and on my way to the event, the whole city of
London was wired like a PA system to the concert. Music was blasting all over
the city. When Mick released those doves or butterflies (I dont remember which)
I started crying and screwed up a bunch of shots. You can see me onstage in
some of the pictures from the concert. It was a horrendous time.
By the time we got to the deaths of Janis, Jimi and Jim, the world had become
used to the idea of self destructive rock stars dying and even though it was
still hard, it was more of an "Oh well..." I had seen Janis cruising in her
Porsche through Woodstock tho I never met her, had met Jimi once when I worked
at Heathrow Airport and he came through my station after Monterrey, and of
course I did know Jim, but even though, it was still kind of an immune time.
Not nice, the end of the sixties/beginning of the seventies. But then, I did
arrive back in America the day they found the bodies of Sharon Tate and her
friends. I remember getting off the plane in Boston and seeing those headlines
and thinking maybe my decision to come back here might not have such an
auspicious start.
Live hard, party hard, die hard. That sort of summed it up for me when that
shit began. John Lennon was the first one actually murdered though. Ive never
believed Brian was murdered, and if anyone cares to find out why, just ask
privately.
Bev

In article <57807858.03120...@posting.google.com>,
ente...@hotmail.com (Randy Brown) says...

--
Give yourself over to Absolute Pleasure T-Shirts!!

Douglas North

Dec 9, 2003, 3:13:17 PM12/9/03
The womb.

--
"Serve Yourself"
by John Lennon

You say you found Jesus Christ
He's the only one
You say you found Buddha
Sittin' in the sun
You say you found Mohammed
Facin' to the East
You say you found Krishna
Dancin' in the streets

Well there's somethin' missing
In this God Almighty stew
And it's your mother
Your mother (don't forget your mother, lad)

You got to serve yourself
Ain't nobody gonna do for you
Well, you may believe in devils
And you may believe in laws
But if you don't go out and serve yourself
Lad, (ain't no room service here)

It's still the same old story
A bloody holy war
A fight for love and glory
Ain't gonna study war (no more)
A fight for God and country
We're gonna set you free
We'll put you back in the Stone Age
If you won't be like me

You got to serve yourself
Ain't nobody gonna do for you
Well, you may believe in devils
And you may believe in laws
But Christ, you're gonna have to serve yourself, and that's all there is
to it

(So get right back here
It's in the bloody fridge
God, when I was a kid
We didn't have stuff like this
T.V.-fuckin' dinners and all that crap- you fuckin' kids
All the fuckin' same, want a fuckin' car now...
Lucky to have a pair of shoes)

You tell me you found Jesus Christ
(Well that's great) He's the only one
You say you found Buddha
Sittin' on his ass in the sun
You say you found Mohammed
Kneelin' on a bloody carpet facin' east
You say you found Krishna
With a bald head, dancin' in the streets

(Well Christ, now you're goin' out of your bleedin' gourd.)

You got to serve yourself
Ain't nobody gonna do for you
(That's right now, you better get that straight through your fuckin'
head)

You got to serve yourself
(You know that better, who the hell else is gonna do it for you? It
ain't me, kid, I'll tell ya that)

Well, you may believe in Jesus
And you may believe in Marx
And you may believe in Marks and Spencers'
And you may believe in bloody Woolworth's

But there's somethin' missing in this whole bloody stew
And it's your mother
Your poor bloody mother
(She wot bore you in the back bedroom, full of piss and shit and fuckin'
midwives. God you can't forget that... should have been in the bloody
war, lad, you'd have known all about it)

Well, I'll tell you something...

It's still the same old story
A holy bloody war
(You know, the Pope and all that stuff)

A fight for love and glory
Ain't gonna study no war (no more)

A fight for God and country
(the Queen and all that)
We're gonna set you free
(Yeah, all them nignogs, sure)

Bomb you back into the fuckin' Stone Age
If you won't do like me
(You know, get on your knees and pray)

Well there's somethin' missing in this God Almighty stew
And it's your goddamn mother
You dirty little git
Now get in there and wash your ears...

(Copyright 1985, Lenono Music)

Sean Twomey

Dec 9, 2003, 9:18:51 PM12/9/03
Twenty-three years ago? 1980? I would have been in grade school... Just
starting second grade..

ST

"Randy Brown" <ente...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Ron Maxwell

Dec 9, 2003, 10:47:41 PM12/9/03
I was in a car with our Frank and Rocky from the New Yorker
Theater. The New Yorker was the first theater I played Brad before
I joined 8th Street. Elizabeth (the Frank), The Rocky
(whose name I forget), and myself were driving around,
when we heard on the radio what had happened. I believe we
were in the Times Square area. Since I lived on the upper west side
anyway and had to be driven home, so we tried to see what was going on.
We drove to scene at 72nd Street and Central Park West, but I do not
remember if we actually made it. I believe we were able to drive east
on 72nd Street past the Dakota. The Dakota is on the north side of the
street and that side goes west. I think they had Central Park West
Closed at 72nd street so we had to drive back south instead of north.
Anyhoo we talked about it and I went home. I was 17 at the time.
It is hard to remember. I have this vague memory of cops and looking
into the doorway of the Dakota and crowds on the opposite side of the
street from the Dakota. I think it was around 10:00-11:00pm. It wasn't
until the next day that I trully realized what had happened. Once again,
it is hard to remember exactly what happened.

Ron

BertSchnik

Dec 9, 2003, 11:28:41 PM12/9/03

Ron-

The Rocky would have been Jimmy Colgate, no?

Bill

michael ogrady

Dec 9, 2003, 11:45:47 PM12/9/03
Well I was just a baby at that time. Only four month's old. And I was at home
in my crib.Being the cute baby boy that i was/am.

Michael O'Grady
Frank-N-Furter
Simply His Servants
Cleveland OHIO.

Dec 10, 2003, 1:47:30 AM12/10/03
Mike:

>Well I was just a baby at that time. Only four month's old. And I was at home
>in my crib.Being the cute baby boy that i was/am.

Wow. I can think of soooooooo many smart-ass things to say to that comment, but
I'm not going to.

Merry Christmas.

(don't say I never gave you nuthin)

michael ogrady

Dec 10, 2003, 1:35:48 PM12/10/03
LOL. Thanks Q. I could only just sit here and wonder about what you would have
sed. Merry Christmas to you too.

Kelly

Dec 10, 2003, 7:47:35 PM12/10/03
Mumbles something to the effect that after 23 years one would think Spanky
would've outgrown the obsession with diapers and spankings.

23 years ago. I was asleep because I was too young to be up that late.
I remember hearing about it the next day on the news and thinking "Why all the
fuss about some guy?" I didn't know who he was at the time, though he became
one of my fave singers in later life.
I still think Yoko paid to have him killed. (everyone gets one conspiracy
theory, yes?)

Douglas North

Dec 11, 2003, 1:05:43 PM12/11/03
>I still think Yoko paid to have him killed.

Nah. She's no Courtney Love.

=)

SinisterMeg

Dec 11, 2003, 5:11:25 PM12/11/03
In article <xnw5mfvj9p...@news.rockynewsgroup.org>, Krissy
<Kriss...@blahyahooblah.com> says...

> i was busy with my gestation period in my mommy's tummy! umm yay!

Wow, guess I'm not the youngest of the young'uns here. I was about a year old;
definitely too young to know yet the gravity of what had happened, or remember
anything about that night. Depressing.
The day the music died for me was 8/9/95...2 days before my 16th birthday.

--
Hugs & Hoopla,
Meg

Krissy

Dec 11, 2003, 5:28:24 PM12/11/03
yup, i'm 22. so young yet sometimes i feel so old :P

--
Weeeeeeee.....

www.thebobbleheads.com
(Shameless plug for my boyfriend's band...yay Phil!)

In article <g468z2fobp...@news.rockynewsgroup.org>, SinisterMeg
<hmque...@filk.comfortablynumb> says...

Sean Twomey

Dec 11, 2003, 7:41:11 PM12/11/03

"Douglas North" <Pample...@webtv.net> wrote >

> Nah. She's no Courtney Love.

Shyeah, right... What really happened is that Kurt's drugs wore off for
a second, and he realized who he was married to... Of course, I woulda shot
Courtney first, but then, I'm not on drugs... :-)

ST

Greaser From The Freezer

Dec 14, 2003, 1:32:50 AM12/14/03

"Sean Twomey" <seant...@myeastern.com> wrote in message

>but then, I'm not on drugs... :-)

Which makes you ooooooooooooooooh so much more frightening... :-p

Justin

Ruth Fink-Winter (DSL)

Dec 15, 2003, 9:13:45 PM12/15/03
I didn't hear about the news that night.

I did, however, see it on the front page of the paper the next morning as I
trained on my new paper route.

Ruth Fink-Winter

Tim

Dec 20, 2003, 2:24:13 AM12/20/03
I was four. But for some reason my memories can go back to 1979 so I
do think I remember seeing the news. Of course I didnt really process
it. I think my mom was upset.
The Usually Silent Tim