Shine on Syd Barrett

1 view

oldsp...@att.net

Jul 12, 2006, 1:16:48 AM7/12/06
My very dear old friend Syd Barrett has died peacefully at his home in
Cambridge, England. He was 60 years old and had been in poor health
from diabetes and ulcers. He was the founder and first leader of Pink
Floyd, the first band to ever capture the true spirit of the 60s, and I
knew him from gigs at the UFO club in London. When Floyd played the
infamous party at the Alexandra Palace, Syd and I climbed the
scaffolding at the back of this giant BBC studio and pelted the then
unknown Yoko Ono with bits of wadded up paper, spitballs if you will,
while she staged her first event, a montage of cutting bits of clothing
off a model dressed as a nun. Syd was the gentlest of men, a real space
cadet, and even though Ive had no contact with him since photographing
him at his apartment in 1968 or 9, I will miss him.
This is a RHPS related obit, since Syd was good friends also with Mick
Rock, but even so, his passing deserves to be noticed since he left the
greatest of legacies.
Shine on Syd.
Bev

Mark M

Jul 12, 2006, 7:49:35 AM7/12/06

I understand how something that took place, and someone you knew, from
so long ago feel as fresh today as it did back then. The people that
have an effect on our lives are always with us because of that effect.
Lives take different turns down different lanes, but the feelings never
die.

BertSch...@aol.com

Jul 12, 2006, 8:20:04 PM7/12/06

Shine on you crazy diamond :(

Syd was cool, I wish he was here.

Bill

" We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year
Going over the same old ground
What have we found? The same old fears.
I wish you were here "

Funky Cold Medina

Jul 12, 2006, 10:26:00 PM7/12/06
Wow, Bev!! I didn't know you knew Syd. The new CD/DVD which came out
yesterday deserves to be purchased as well. Great live stuff.

Yes, shine on you crazy diamond....Syd.

FCM

Arthur Levesque

Jul 13, 2006, 4:39:53 AM7/13/06
I forget - which Transylvanian did he play?

In article <1152757560....@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
ei...@yahoo.com says...

--
/\ Arthur Levesque <fnord?> http://boog.org & http://DammitJa.net __
\B\ack King of the Potato People & shanana-Cobain <*> Urban Spaceman (oO)

oldsp...@att.net

Jul 13, 2006, 2:27:57 PM7/13/06
Arthur, please do not let this turn nasty. Syd was a friend of Mick
Rock, and as a friend of mine as well, makes it viable to be posted
here.
Stop looking for trouble where there is none.
Bev

BertSch...@aol.com

Jul 14, 2006, 7:41:42 PM7/14/06

Well, Nev, there IS a loose ( very loose) way to tie Syd B with Rocky
Horror, besides you knowing him and the Mick Rock relation...

Nell Campbell played Columbia in Rocky Horror. Nell also had a small
part as a hooker in THE WALL. THE WALL was a Pink Floyddfilm and one of
the founding members was, of course, Syd Barret!

YAY!

Bill " the band is just fantastic, that is really what we think...oh
by the way, which one's Pink?" Brennan

Randy Brown

Jul 15, 2006, 7:38:49 AM7/15/06

BertSch...@aol.com wrote:

> Nell Campbell played Columbia in Rocky Horror. Nell also had a small

> part as a hooker in THE WALL. THE WALL was a Pink Floyd film and one of
> the founding members was, of course, Syd Barrett!

Nell was actually a groupie in "The Wall." Otherwise, you nailed it.

We'll miss you, Roger Keith Barrett.

--RB