Bugs Bunny, R.I.P (and Rh stuff too!)

1 view

BilBrennan

Feb 23, 2002, 5:03:56 PM2/23/02

:( I heard that Chuck Jones, the voice of Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, porky Pig,
etc, doed last night of heart failure.

First Charles Schultz, now this...things just aint been the same since Bloom
County stopped publication.

Anyway, here's a tip o' th' hat to both Bugs and RH...ever see the cartoon
episode when bugs was trying to hide the gangster Rocky from the cops? Heh heh
heh...

Bugs Bunny looked out Riffraffs window and turned to rocky, whon stood there
in gold shorts and boots.
"The cops!" Bugs said, and then made some siren sounds. Rocky looked frantic,
and pleaded with his eyes for Bugs to hide him.
"Quick, get in here!" Bugs said, and threw Rocky into a clock with a
skeleton in it-parts of Rocky stuck out: a boot here, an arm there...and he
looked very uncomfortable.
"Nope, too small, in here!" Bugs yelled, and threw Rocky under the table
clothe of the dining table. Rocky made a big lump in the center.
"Nope, too obvious, in here!" Bugs said, and threw Rocky into the tank in the
lab.
"Okay, Rabbit, where;s Rocky, where's he hiding?!?" said Bugs in an Irish
cops voice.
"He's not in this tank!" Bugs said back to himself, playing Rocky for a fool.
"Oho! he's hiding in that tank, is he?!?"
"Would I step up the power reactopr inputs three more points if my pal Rocky
was in there?" Bugs said as he stepped up the power reactor inputs 3 more
points.
"You might, Rabbit, you might," said Bugs in tyhe cops voice.
"Would I throw open the switches on the sonic occilator if Rocky was in
dere?" said Bugs as he threw them open.
"You might, rabbit, you might,"
"Would I throw a lighted match inside, if my dear friend Rocky was excased
therein?"
There was a small explosion, and a black cloud came from inside the tank.
"Okay, Rabbit, youve convinced me, I;ll look for Rocky in the city," and Bugs
pretended that the coip left.
"Okay, doc, he's gone. You can come out now..."

Hmm, on asecond thought, maybe I shoud have made it Frank N Furter chasing
Rocky...

Bill

Feb 23, 2002, 5:42:42 PM2/23/02
> :( I heard that Chuck Jones, the voice of Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, porky Pig,
>etc,

It is indeed sad news... but if memory serves Chuck Jones was the ANIMATOR of
many of the Bugs Bunny et al features (as well as doing the animated sequence
in "Stay Tuned") and Mel Blanc was responsible for the voice
characterizations......

I could be wrong, but if I am I've been worshipping the wrong guy. :)

Peace, Love, and RO'B,

Atlas

Feb 23, 2002, 5:58:10 PM2/23/02
Without doing any research, I'd have to agree with Q. My first
thought when I read the header was that Mel Blanc had passed
away. I think Chuck Jones was heavily involved in the production
side of things.

Of course, Q and I could both just be smoking the same wacky
weed...

--
A+las
Older Creepy Guy with Camera

That's all, Folks

Feb 23, 2002, 6:33:37 PM2/23/02
A+las:

>My first
>thought when I read the header was that Mel Blanc had passed
>away.

He did. In the nineties sometime.

I remember the poster of all the Warner Bros. characters he did (porky, Bugs,
Foghorn Loghorn, etc) with their heads bowed in silence and the caption read
"speechless"

Made me sniffle. *sniff*

Feb 23, 2002, 6:47:26 PM2/23/02
Okie dokie... it had me curious as to whether I was right or not, and I was.

Chuck Jones was the animation director for Warner Brothers for some time.
Actually, you can tell by looking at the animation whether or not he was
responsible for it... he was incredibly stylistic. Similar to Ralph Bakshi,
love him or hate him... the second you look at a Bakshi cartoon... you KNOW
it's a Bakshi.

Chuck Jones was responsible for the cartoons (mostly Bugs Bunny) in the late
sixties and on. (round 67... the classic Elmer Fudd operatic "kill da wabbit"
was his)

He was also the animation director for How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Big,
shiny eyes, sort of a sketchy look... classic Jones animation. :) I always
found the shorts he did to have way more emotion and expressiveness than the
other WB shorts.

*shrug* Least my brain isn't short-circuiting on me. (YET)

Randy Brown

Feb 23, 2002, 10:37:28 PM2/23/02
Holy cow, Bill..."ain't you a stinker?"

Yeah, we'll all observe a moment of silence for Charles M. Jones.

An evil thought just popped into my head: somebody should make a poster
or T-shirt of Bugs pointing at Ground Zero. The caption is obvious:
"Of course, you realize, THIS MEANS WAR!!" There should also be one of
Daffy and his catchphrase.

When Mel Blanc (the guy who did voices for the Looney Toons, in case you
didn't know) passed away, Warners did a touching trade poster with all
the characters standing around an unoccupied, spotlit mike stand, with
heads bowed. The caption: "SPEECHLESS." It'll be interesting to see
if they do a similar tribute for Chuck.

After that moment of silence, go and find the CD, "The Carl Stalling
Project: Music from Warner Bros. Cartoons" (if you don't already have
it), and CRANK IT UP! Loud enough for Jones, and Blanc, and Stallings,
and Friz Freleng and Tex Avery and Bob Clampett and Tregoweth Brown and
all the others up in Heaven to boogie with.

--Randy Brown
"And oh, what heights we'll hit..."

Annie

Feb 24, 2002, 12:38:47 AM2/24/02

You are correct. Mel Blanc did the voice of Bugs, Daffy, and several others.
He's credited with "voice characterizations" on many of the LT/MM flicks.

Chuck Jones was producer, director, supervisor, animator of many of the
later LT/MM. He is credited with "supervision" on many of the later
LT/MM. He succeeded such greats as Bob Clampett (who left WB and
eventually went independent), Fritz Freleng (sp?) and Tex Avery, who
was one of the pioneers of the LT/MM.

ObTrivia: Some people consider the original Merrie Melodies (ca 30's) to
be history's first music videos.

ObRocky: Lots of Rocky fans get off on LT/MM too! :)

annie :) (Shhhhh, be vewwy vewwy qwiet, i'm a huntin wabbit!)

Quality

Feb 24, 2002, 9:57:44 AM2/24/02

"Q" <diko...@aol.combustible> wrote in message

> > :( I heard that Chuck Jones, the voice of Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, porky
Pig,
> >etc,
>
> It is indeed sad news... but if memory serves Chuck Jones was the ANIMATOR
of
> many of the Bugs Bunny et al features (as well as doing the animated
sequence
> in "Stay Tuned") and Mel Blanc was responsible for the voice
> characterizations......

Indeed. Chuck Jones was a master of animation. His stylings are instantly
recognizable to cartoon freaks like myself. :)
He also directed the animated version of "How the Grinch stole christmas".
The Road Runner cartoons were also his (the early ones, not the studio
produced crap that came later. You know its Chuck Jones when the Cyotye (sp)
gets severely injured, but you never see it, it happens just off camera).

He was also part of the original WB crew of cartoonist that came up with the
outrageous idea that animals and people dont have to move naturally. Go WAY
back to the late 30's, it was accepted practice that if you animated, say, a
cow or a person, that the motions would mimic real life motions. WB
cartoonists were the first to animate motion as a fluid movement. Instead of
a person in a hurry simply running, they portray the person shifting from
one point to another with a blur of color, and a whoosh sound to show speed.
Trust me, it was a big deal then.
And as an amateur cartoon historian, Chuck Jones's passing is a very big
deal to me, as another piece of my childhood slowly ebbs away. I harken
back to the day where you could watch a cartoon where an anvil lands on
someones head, and not for a minute think that it could be done in real
life.
--
Art Laurie means Quality! Ask for him by name!
Quality Brad and associated services since 1979!

Randy Brown

Feb 24, 2002, 2:14:59 PM2/24/02
an...@MAPSON.ivgate.omahug.org (Annie) wrote in message news:<annie.10...@ivgate.omahug.org>...

> ObTrivia: Some people consider the original Merrie Melodies (ca 30's) to
> be history's first music videos.

But, there's an argument in favor of Disney's "Steamboat Willie", his
first sound cartoon and the debut of Mickey Mouse. That came out in,
I think, 1927, a bit before Warners started "Merrie Melodies". Also,
Carl Stalling, who compiled the music for many WB cartoons, worked at
Disney during the 1930s.

The use of "compiled" instead of "composed" is important, because
Stalling's scores were made up primarily of pop songs from the Warner
Bros. Music catalog (of which he had free use), and the occasional
classical piece. In fact, the WB 'toons were often designed to sell
those WB tunes. (How many copies of the sheet music to "Those
Endearing Young Charms" do you think Bugs Bunny and his exploding
piano/xylophone moved? A lot, I'd bet.)

I'm sure that somebody in Burbank CA wishes that Warner Bros. Music
(or Warner-Tamerlane Publishing) could own copyrights to "William Tell
Overture" and Richard Wagner's "Ring of the Nibelungs"...

--Randy Brown

Kell B.

Feb 25, 2002, 9:30:12 AM2/25/02
diko...@aol.combustible (Q) wrote in message news:<20020223174242...@mb-df.aol.com>...

Chuckie (not the Crim, but Chuck Jones) also did Riki Tiki Tavi, Gay
Purree, Mowgli's Brothers, and my personal favorite, the Phantom
Tollbooth.

Needless to say, the world got less funny on Friday. I haven't been
this shocked by a celebrity death since Douglass Adams.

Sad Doc
Kell L. Bakker
http://jldenton.topcities.com
"I say he does have to shoot him now! SHOOT HIM NOW SHOOT HIM NOW!"
*BAM!*

Feb 25, 2002, 5:06:07 PM2/25/02
Kell Baker:

>Chuckie (not the Crim, but Chuck Jones) also did Riki Tiki Tavi, Gay
>Purree, Mowgli's Brothers, and my personal favorite, the Phantom
>Tollbooth.

How in hell could I forget Riki Tiki Tavi?

One of my fave afterschool specials as a kid... and now that I'm grown I share
it with my kids (Ok. You caught me. I have no kids. But I make my ferret watch
it and he's close enough)

Peace, Love, and RO'B,

"It's easy to make an Asylum. All you need is an empty room and the right kind
of people"

Sean Twomey

Feb 25, 2002, 7:30:04 PM2/25/02

(Ok. You caught me. I have no kids.

Too late, babe - we know all about those secret gene-splicing experiments
with ROB's DNA to impregnate yourself with his two-headed alien love
child... ;-)

ST

Feb 25, 2002, 10:51:01 PM2/25/02
>(Ok. You caught me. I have no kids.

Sean:

> Too late, babe - we know all about those secret gene-splicing experiments
>with ROB's DNA to impregnate yourself with his two-headed alien love
>child... ;-)

Presenting... a Richard O'Brien with six asses. </SP>

Dave Leckie

Feb 25, 2002, 11:10:52 PM2/25/02

Q wrote:

> >(Ok. You caught me. I have no kids.
>
> Sean:
>
> > Too late, babe - we know all about those secret gene-splicing experiments
> >with ROB's DNA to impregnate yourself with his two-headed alien love
> >child... ;-)
>
> Presenting... a Richard O'Brien with six asses. </SP>

Wow... somebody was listening to my prayers... =)

Silliness,
Dave "Drooling over a six-assed Ritz..." Leckie
Dr. Riff-Raff in training
Winner, "Most viscious list", 1999
Emperor Overlord of the Rhinoceros Party of Canada
"The Emperor wants to control outer space. Yoda wants to explore
innerspace. That's the fundamental difference between the good and the
bad sides of the force." - Moff, Human Traffic

Arthur Levesque

Feb 25, 2002, 11:10:28 PM2/25/02
Q>Presenting... a Richard O'Brien with six asses. </SP>

*snicker*

Anyway, we already know what your son will look like...
--
/\ Arthur M Levesque 2A4W <*> b...@boog.orgy =/\= http://boog.org __
\B\ack King of the Potato People <fnord> "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!" (oO)

Feb 26, 2002, 9:00:22 AM2/26/02

>Q>Presenting... a Richard O'Brien with six asses. </SP>

Arthur:

> *snicker*
>
> Anyway, we already know what your son will look like...

Yeah, and some father you are. Make me get a picture of him and *sniff* we
don't even have a name! He's gotta be about 8 already!! You don't love him!

<insert pathetic Lucy-style bawl here>

Margaret McAvoy

Feb 27, 2002, 12:59:19 PM2/27/02
http://www.sendafriend.com/ChuckJones

Maggie Bob, Recently Dropped Out Of Flying School

Atlas

Feb 27, 2002, 7:31:16 PM2/27/02
Hopefully with a parachute... =D

Margaret McAvoy wrote:
> Maggie Bob, Recently Dropped Out Of Flying School

--

A+las
Older Creepy Guy with Camera
http://teseracte.tripod.com/

It takes a lot of skill to drive this badly

Randy Brown

Feb 28, 2002, 11:29:56 PM2/28/02
Margaret, Margaret, Margaret...thanks for posting the fine tribute. One
mistake, however: "Die Walkure" does NOT open with the Ride of the
Valkyries...that music doesn't appear until the beginning of Act Three.

The first scene of "Walkure" has a guy named Siegmund hiding in a house
occupied by a hunter named Hunding and his wife, Sieglinde. Siegmund
and Sieglinde promptly fall in love with each other.

Siegmund and Sieglinde are brother and sister, by the way. There's
incest all over the operas of Wagner's "Ring" (not to mention
fratricide, infidelity, grand larceny, more homicides than Compton on a
Saturday night, etc.)...you could make an entire week's worth of Jerry
Springer shows out of that mess.

However, as the late Anna Russell, International Concert Comedienne,
used to say, "That's the beauty of Grand Opera: you can do ANYTHING -
so long as you SING it!!"

--Randy Brown
"This is no man!" - Siegfried, after seeing Brunhilde for the first
time. She's his aunt, by the way...

Randy Brown

Mar 1, 2002, 4:18:49 PM3/1/02
Slight correction here: Anna Russell is NOT deceased. In fact, she
celebrated her 90th birthday last November.

The 9th Witch

Mar 1, 2002, 7:41:59 PM3/1/02

"Q" <diko...@aol.combustible> wrote in message

His tombstone has the eptitaph "That's All Folks". Makes you cry, und I did.

--
T9W

Can't Sleep? Go Shopping! Irish Style
Shaney O'Grady's
http://leprechuan.iwongifts.com
Com and Get It
http://comandgetit.iwonstores.com

Unsolicited email will be subject to a $500 fine.
Unsolicited email from christians will be subject to a fine of 10% of
sender's income.