Alien Illustrated story

Jason Truman

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
I was just wondering if any of you guys know about the rarity of a book
called 'Aliens-The Illustrated story'......Its a comic book type thing
telling the story of ALIEN,and has a couple of missing scenes in it...I've
had the book for about 12 years now,and was wondering if it was valuable at
all?
Also,I have one called the ALIEN photonovel,a big black book with the
Nostromo/Refinery on the cover and the title in red,........basically the
movie in photo form with quotes and descriptions........
Thank you
Jay

Brian Pesti

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98

Jason Truman wrote:

I have both of them. I plan to put some of the pages on my alien site when I
have the time [in the next millenium :-]

They're both worth no more than$25 US. The Illustrated story is a nice one to
have, but depending on the condition, it's worth about $15 on the average
IMHO.

They sell those on ebay every now and then.

===============
Brian Pesti
bpe...@earthlink.net

Jason Truman

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Great,thanks Brian ;o)

A L I E N

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Brian, check your copy of the Alien book to see what ash says. Coal or
Cold. please.. thanks

ILoveUsako

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Would you like to trade the alien illustrated story for an alternate version of
alien script? its signed by Dan O'Bannon and Ridley scott.
E-mail me if you want to:

ILove...@aol.com
Chiba Mamoru of Jubaan, Tokyo

Wmvrrvrrmm

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98

In article <3645E2F9...@earthlink.net>, Brian Pesti
<bpe...@earthlink.net> writes:

>I have both of them. I plan to put some of the pages on my alien site when I
>have the time [in the next millenium :-]
>
>They're both worth no more than$25 US. The Illustrated story is a nice one to
>have, but depending on the condition, it's worth about $15 on the average
>IMHO.
>
>They sell those on ebay every now and then.

I'll also mention that in England, they're likely to charge you about forty
pounds for the Alien photo novel.

Just remove "zmmmzmmm" when e-mailing me personally

Wmmmvvvvvvvvrrrrrmmmvvvvvrrrrrmmmvvvvvrrrrrmmmvvvvvrrrrrmmm!

Wmvrrvrrmm

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98

In article <12854-36...@newsd-133.iap.bryant.webtv.net>, ALI...@webtv.net

(A L I E N) writes:

>Brian, check your copy of the Alien book to see what ash says. Coal or
>Cold. please.. thanks

I don't think that the chap who created this book had all the information about
what was being said.

Brian Pesti

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98

A L I E N wrote:

> Brian, check your copy of the Alien book to see what ash says. Coal or
> Cold. please.. thanks

It's 'core' as in planets have cores. I'll bet on it. Listen to it
closely :-]

You might check one of the sites that has the script. Although you have
to be careful where they got it I would presume to know it's authentic.
Even so a lot of the dialogue was supposedly ad libbed. But I can't
comment on how much.

With regards to The Illustrated story...it doesn't follow the script that
closely. he doesn't mention either or in fact. At that point they have
the cut scene 'whale song' transmission and all Ash says is '..we can
walk on it.'

Goodwin and Simonson would have done that before the film was released
with outtake photos and rough draft scripts and an outside chance of a
black and white work print, so that's why the dialogue is altered
throughout and some of the cut scenes appear. the cocoon scene isn't one
of them, btw.

===============
Brian Pesti
bpe...@earthlink.net

A L I E N

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Varoom wrote:

>I don't think that the chap who created this
>book had all the information about what was
>being said.

Well I agree but it would be interesting to see what he thought was said
:-)

walters...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
In article <36461A7F...@earthlink.net>,

I'm always interested in Alien references to the old comic. A couple of
quick notes...

Archie and I had three different script revisions done over about five months
to work from. At the time we were working on the comic book, the principal
photography with the actors was essentially complete and the movie company
was filming the model work. 20th Century left us alone (Charlie Lippencott,
our liason with 20th Century and a great help, knew comic books and trusted
us to do our own job well) and we essentially tried to produce the best comic
we could using all the information we had, rather than try to produce an
exact copy of a movie that was still in a major state of flux while we were
working.

I (but not Archie) had a chance to see the rough cut of the film that was in
the process of being edited in December,'78. However, a lot of major editing
of the film was still going on and stuff was being put in and taken out like
crazy. For example, the scene with Dallas in the coccoon was already out by
the time we were working so although it had been in the earliest script we
had, we never considered putting it in the comic book. The scene where Bret
gets killed was much much longer in the rough cut than in the release
version, and the 2 page sequence in the comic was my boiling down of the
scene I saw in the rough cut. I think the alien tail snaking between
Lambert's legs late in the film is actually snaking through Bret's legs;
check the shoes. And the scene with the Alien in the corridor as a organic
box-like thing between Ripley and the lifeboat was in the rough cut. I was
told when I got to that page of the comic book that the decision had been
made to leave that sequence in. So I drew it. Of course, when the movie
came out, it was nowhere to be found.

But essentially as I said above, Archie and I had a lot of information about
the film from scripts to stills to a 'preview' and were able to use most of
it to try to create a good comic book. Still didn't have quite enough stills
of the models so I got the vents wrong on the Nostromo in a shot or two but
that's the way the cookie crumbles <g>.

Best/Walter

Wmvrrvrrmm

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

In article <7274br$co5$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, walters...@my-dejanews.com
writes:

> And the scene with the Alien in the corridor as a organic
>box-like thing between Ripley and the lifeboat was in the rough cut.

.

Are you able to say more about this scene, if you can recall after all this
time, because it intrigues me to think what was happening here with the alien
creature unfolding from a box shape. Did it obviously look like a squashed up
rubber suit just being pumped up with air or was it something very visually
inspiring?

Jason Truman

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Hmmmm......yeah.....I always just assumed this was a sort of hibernation
position,where its metabolic rate was maybe slowed....
Or Alien yoga?;-)

Wmvrrvrrmm wrote in message
<19981109141014...@ngol07.aol.com>...