The "Mauser" Question

1 view

RICLAND

Mar 19, 2007, 12:10:45 PM3/19/07
I've since learned that bolt-action rifles like the Mannlicher and
Mauser share some similarity, that it's easy to mistake one for the other.

Fine.

Still, one detail of the mis-identification bothers me. The officers
specifically said, "7.65 Mauser," not simply "Mauser." And, even if you
dismiss Officer Craig's later claim, "7.65 Mauser was stamped right on
the barrel," there's still the question of the officers saying "7.65."

Mis-identifying the make is one thing. Specifying the caliber of the
make is something again. In fact, wouldn't we expect that since it
wasn't a Mauser they'd say something like "Some kind of Mauser" rather
than "7.65" Mauser?

Finally, why do the SBTs sweep this incident under the rug? The fact
that the MC was later produced does not discount what the officers said,
especially even today Officer Craig continues to insist it was a 7.65
Mauser.

ricland

David Von Pein

Mar 19, 2007, 12:22:19 PM3/19/07
Ric, even WALT-KOOK dismisses the Mauser discrepancy as just a
discrepancy...and he wants to believe almost ANYTHING if it can take
the noose from around Oswald's neck. That's almost reason enough right
there for you to discount the Mauser thing too. ~wink~

I cannot understand why Roger Craig deluded himself into believing the
rifle was stamped "7.65 Mauser", when it wasn't. No way it was stamped
that way.

But, then too, Craig is the same man who insists Oswald jumped in a
Rambler at 12:40, when we know that never happened either (Oz was
getting on a bus at just that time, maybe a couple minutes
later...verified by Mary E. Bledsoe, who KNEW Oswald on sight...she
rented a room to him for one week the previous month...so she KNEW
him).

So Craig is an enigma indeed. I can't explain the guy...other than to
say he was 0-for-2 that day.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/craig.htm

RICLAND

Mar 19, 2007, 12:33:52 PM3/19/07

-- David Von Pein

What wasn't stamped that way? The rifle Craig saw or the MC?

ricland

Lone

Mar 19, 2007, 12:52:58 PM3/19/07

Causal chain of the discovery and disappearing of the Mauser:
13.22
Officers Boone and Weitzmann found that Mauser in the NW Corner of the
TSBDB. Weitzmann was a rifle expert. Both men described this gun as a
german Mauser 7.65. Fritz took care of this Mauser.
At the police station Craig saw that Mauser 14.50 and even Dallas
district attorney Henry Wade was talking to the press about a Mauser
rifle Friday night the day of the assassination. So I ask you: Where
all this men: Weitzmann, Boone, Fritz and Wade drunk?
This Friday night the Mauser disappeared for ever and was replaced by
a weapon never used in the JFK murder: the Caracano...thinks like that
are called dirty tricks to confuse ordinary men...is that hard to
believe? Don't think so.

RICLAND

Mar 19, 2007, 1:02:36 PM3/19/07

And David's logic runs like this: "It wasn't a Mauser because Oswald
used a MC."

Beautiful, ain't it?

ricland

Walt

Mar 19, 2007, 1:32:58 PM3/19/07
> believe? Don't think so.- Hide quoted text -

This so unnecessary.....When all a serious student needs to do is LOOK
at the photos of the rifle taken in the hour or two following it's
discovery. ALL of the photos both police photos and news reporters
photos CLEARLY show the rifle is a Model 91/38 Mannlicher Carcano
short rifle. There is NO doubt about that.
The only thing that can't be determined by looking at the photos is
the caliber of the rifle. It could be a 7.35mm caliber or it could be
a 6.5mm caliber. The two different calbers looked Identical so unless
there is a clear photo which shows the bore of the rifle we have to
assume that the cops didn't lie to us when the said it was a 6.5mm
rifle.

Walt

YoHarvey

Mar 19, 2007, 2:50:02 PM3/19/07
> Walt- Hide quoted text -

Craig was a bit of an eccentric whose
story has repeatedly changed throughout
the years depending on who was inter-
viewing him.

RICLAND

Mar 19, 2007, 5:49:35 PM3/19/07

Let me ask you a question, Walt: Do you know what Three Card Monte is?

Good.

Do you know how the dealer wins at will?

Better.

Now imagine a game of Three Card Monte where instead of cards, rifles
are used.

Got a clue now, Walt?

ricland

RICLAND

Mar 19, 2007, 5:51:57 PM3/19/07

This business about stories changing over the years keeps coming up.

Stories change over time.

More the reason why we should use only what a witness first says.

Agreed ...?

ricland

Message has been deleted

Walt

Mar 19, 2007, 6:58:58 PM3/19/07
> ricland- Hide quoted text -

ricland .....don't be ridiculous. Just get out from behind your
keyboard and go to the library and LOOK at all the photos you can find
of the rifle in the TSBD and being carried out by Lt.Day .......Copy
em and take the copies to a gun shop and ask them to ID the rifle for
you. Then find some other aspect that you have a question about and
reasearch it.....but just knock off the crap.

Walt

RICLAND

Mar 19, 2007, 8:17:43 PM3/19/07

ZOOOOOOM...!

ricland

David Von Pein

Mar 19, 2007, 9:16:18 PM3/19/07
>>> "And David's logic runs like this: "It wasn't a Mauser because Oswald used a MC". Beautiful, ain't it?" <<<

No, my logic runs like this: It wasn't a Mauser because when the ONE &
ONLY RIFLE taken from the TSBD was thoroughly examined, that rifle was
not a Mauser, it was a Carcano (which also, by pure chance, just
happened to be owned by LHO, the same man who was seen pulling the
trigger on 11/22).

Beautiful, ain't it?

Ben Holmes

Mar 19, 2007, 9:22:26 PM3/19/07
In article <1174345138.4...@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, Walt says...

I suspect that I was only the first to killfile "RICLAND". Trolls come in all
sizes and shapes.

RICLAND

Mar 19, 2007, 9:56:26 PM3/19/07

Lowest life form in USENET: a rube who brags about the people he kill files.

ricland

RICLAND

Mar 19, 2007, 10:27:52 PM3/19/07

How do you know the "one and only rifle" taken from SBD was the MC?

Officer Craig was there and he says different.

So how do you know, David?

You don't.

Which is why your conclusions are worthless. You only use evidence that
supports your hypothesis. You dismiss credible witness testimony that
doesn't support your hypothesis.

Why do you do that, David?

ricland

David Von Pein

Mar 19, 2007, 11:02:24 PM3/19/07
>>> "You only use evidence that supports your hypothesis. You dismiss credible witness testimony that doesn't support your hypothesis. Why do you do that, David?" <<<

Oh, gee, I don't know, Ric-man. Just a slow news day I guess.

<ho-hum>

Some "Mauser" talk for Ric to chew on:

MR. BUGLIOSI -- "Mr. Boone, did the FBI ever show you a rifle which
they said was the rifle found on the sixth floor?"

EUGENE BOONE (Dallas County Deputy Sheriff who discovered a rifle in
the TSBD on 11/22/63) -- "Yes sir."

Mr. BUGLIOSI -- "And what did you say when you looked at that rifle?"

MR. BOONE -- "It appears to be the rifle that I saw on the sixth floor
of the School Book Depository."

MR. BUGLIOSI -- "Well, didn't you just tell Mr. Spence that you could
not identify it?"

MR. BOONE -- "I could not identify it positively because I did not
have
an identifying mark on the weapon."

MR. BUGLIOSI -- "Okay. But it appeared to be the same rifle?"

MR. BOONE -- "It appeared to be the same weapon."

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.conspiracy.jfk/msg/1e2929be83607513

RICLAND

Mar 20, 2007, 4:02:32 AM3/20/07

Ok, I think I see what you're getting at, David.

Your point is we should discard Mr. Boone's description of the rifle as
a "7.65 Mauser."

Is that it?

ricland

David Von Pein

Mar 20, 2007, 4:28:52 AM3/20/07
Where does Boone ever say "7.65"?

RICLAND

Mar 20, 2007, 10:21:57 AM3/20/07
David Von Pein wrote:
> Where does Boone ever say "7.65"?

Why?

Does it make a difference?

ricland

David Von Pein

Mar 20, 2007, 10:55:47 AM3/20/07
No. It doesn't. Because no Mauser existed. But you're the one who said
BOONE said "7.65".

You aren't good at this JFK shit, are ya? Geesh.

RICLAND

Mar 20, 2007, 11:33:09 AM3/20/07

How do you know "no Mauser existed," David?

ricland

Walt

Mar 20, 2007, 12:28:55 PM3/20/07
On 19 Mar, 10:22, "David Von Pein" <davevonp...@aol.com> wrote:
> Ric, even WALT-KOOK dismisses the Mauser discrepancy as just a
> discrepancy...and he wants to believe almost ANYTHING

What....."almost ANYTHING" ???

if it can take
> the noose from around Oswald's neck. That's almost reason enough right
> there for you to discount the Mauser thing too. ~wink~
>
> I cannot understand why Roger Craig deluded himself into believing the
> rifle was stamped "7.65 Mauser", when it wasn't. No way it was stamped
> that way.

I've always been intrigued by the report that the rifle found on the
suxth floor was as 7.65 Mauser.

The 7.65 Argentine Mauser does superficially resemble a Mannlicher
Carcano, but anyone familar with military rifles would not mistake one
for the other. But the fact that Craig was adamant that he'd seen
7.65 Mauser, STAMPED on that rifle, has always intrigued me.

In 1938 Italy decided to update it's standard military shoulder
weapon, which had been the 6.5mm Mannlicher Carcano. They changed the
caliber from 6.5mm to 7.35mm. They did not make a completely new
rifle, They merely converted the old reliable 6.5mm Mannlicher
Carcano to fire the new 7.35 cartridge. It was virtually impossible
to distinguish any difference between a 6.5mm rifle and a 7.35mm
rifle. However, if a soldier were to attempt to load a 7.35 cartridge
in a rifle designed for the 6.5mm cartridge, the rifle could explode
in his face. Or conversely if a soldier were to load his 7.35 rifle
with the 6.5mm cartridge he probably couldn't have hit a pie plate at
twenty yards.
The Italians recognized the problem immediately, so ALL 7.35mm rifles
were STAMPED ..."CAL 7.35"

The Identification STAMP was in large letters about (3/4 inch high) on
the left hand side of the stock near the butt of the rifle. The STAMP
was large and easily read to avoid confusion. I've often wondered if
Craig saw CAL 7.35 stamped on the stock and thought it read Cal
7.65.??

I've seen photos of the MANNLICHER CARCANO that was found on the sixth
floor of the TSBD which show the muzzle end of the rifle, and the bore
does appear to be bigger than the bore of a 6.5mm MC. I've attempted
to measure the bore in the photo and the measurement seems to indicate
that the rifle could have been a 7.35mm MC.

However....the jury is still out on the caliber of the MANNLICHER
CARCANO that was found on the sixth floor of the TSBD.

Walt

Bud

Mar 20, 2007, 12:39:25 PM3/20/07

How do you know David exists, ric?

> ricland

aeffects

Mar 20, 2007, 12:42:44 PM3/20/07

I saw'em, he's the fourth man from the front in that Charles River
scull..... c'mon Slickster, get out of the way

Bud

Mar 20, 2007, 12:52:20 PM3/20/07

You`re out of your scull, Healey. Learn when to say "when".

tomnln

Mar 20, 2007, 1:31:37 PM3/20/07
FOUR (4) Dallas Police Officers said "MAUSER" all in the presence of
Capt. Fritz and, Lt. Day.

http://whokilledjfk.net/Rifle.htm

"David Von Pein" <davev...@aol.com> wrote in message

tomnln