AUDIO CLIP --- A 1959 Speech By Senator John F. Kennedy

1 view

David Von Pein

Dec 31, 2007, 5:39:13 AM12/31/07

Linked below is a fun and rarely-heard Kennedy audio treat ---
Massachusetts Senator John F. Kennedy is the keynote speaker at the
"Jefferson-Jackson Day" dinner in Los Angeles, California, on November
2, 1959, two months before Kennedy announced that he was officially
running for President.

This edited 28-minute audio program begins with a few comments from
Frank Sinatra ("It's really a marvelous pleasure for me to be here
tonight, on behalf of Peter Lawford's brother-in-law")....and the
program also includes remarks made by California's recently-elected
Governor, Edmund "Pat" Brown.

My favorite Jack Kennedy quote during this 1959 speech is this
one.....

"It seems to me that in the 1960 election...that we should take
into that election words which were spoken by Franklin Roosevelt in
1936. .... In that speech he said..."Better the occasional faults of a
Government that lives in the spirit of charity than the consistent
omissions of a Government frozen in the ice of its own indifference."
It seems to me in the United States in the last seven years, we have
come very close to a Government frozen in the ice of its own
indifference, and I do not look with pleasure upon going through
another decade of it....and therefore I think this election is most
important." -- Senator John F. Kennedy; 11/02/59

http://matrix.msu.edu/~amvoice/view_audio.php?pbd=amvoices-a0a4z6-a