LIFE- May 10, 1963 issue

Walt

Dec 25, 2007, 11:32:55 AM12/25/07
A recent thread in in this N.G. prompted me to dig through my piles
of
old magazines to retrieve some information about the Bay of Pigs
debacle. I found a LIFE magazine (5 /10/ 63) dedicated to the Bay Of
Pigs. In 1961 the CIA had hung the blame on John Kennedy for their
failure, and JFK had publicly shouldered the blame for the debacle.
Since it had happened on his watch he felt compelled to accept the
burden, though he had little to do with the CIA operation.

By May of 1963 the BOP debacle was a thing of the past for most
Americans, but it was NOT a thing of the past, nor had it been
forgotten in the Cuban communities in Maimi, New Orleans, Houston, or
Dallas. The ember of hatred for JFK still glowed hotly in those
communities. All that was required to turn those embers into a raging
bonfire was a little kindling and a little fanning of the embers.

The May 10 issue of Life magazine provided both the kindling and the
fanning needed. The magazine is filled with illustrations and graphic
depictions of the horrors of the battle, and prose that painted vivid
images of Kennedy betrayal of Brigade 2506.

Here's just a small example.... an excerpt from the text.

" Long before the start of the invasion, the men of the brigade
received from their trainers and advisers in the field promises of
U.S. air cover; they say they continued to get such promises until
just before the fighting ended. The crucial help never came. On the
third
day of battle three U.S. Navy jets appeared over the combat area,
dipped their wings and flew off"

Most of those Cubans were back in their communities in the U.S. when
LIFE published this issue. They knew what they had experienced at BOP
but did not know who to focus on for revenge. They had been told by
their CIA handlers that Kennedy had betrayed them. Those handlers
had
said that JFK had promised to provide an umbrella of air cover for
them during the invasion, but he had reniged on his promise.

Imagine the thoughts that went through those mens minds when the U.S.
Navy jets flew over and dipped their wings. At that point the Cubans
must have thought those US Navy pilots, gave them the finger, and
flew
away. Now Life was rekindling the anger, frustration, and hatred
those Cubans felt.

Why would LIFE have wanted to fan the embers of hatred, which ended
with the reverberation of gunshots in Dealey Plaza six months
later???

Walt

P.S. I just Googled LIFE magazine, and discovered that the issue is
still available. There is a artists drawing of a soldier wading ashore
on the cover. Does antbody know if it's possible to view this magazine
on line??

bigdog

Dec 25, 2007, 1:13:21 PM12/25/07

Because it was news.

Gil Jesus

Dec 25, 2007, 3:11:05 PM12/25/07
> Because it was news.- Hide quoted text -

Wrong dipshit Dog. Your answer shows how ignoratnt on the history of
the Kennedy administration you really are. Both Life and Look
magazines were owned by Henry and Claire Booth Luce, the same Luces
who walked out of a dinner at the White House after ole Henry called
JFK a coward for abandonning the Cubans and Kennedy blasted him.

The same Henry Luce that financed the Bayo-Pawley mission to Cuba in
1963, which was supposed to bring back two Soviet "defectors" who'd
announce in James Eastland's office that the Russians STILL had
missiles in Cuba. That they had NOT removed them all and that Kennedy
had been duped.

The plan was to embarrass the President and portray him as too weak to
deal with the Russians.

That's why LIFE and LOOK were anti-Kennedy. Luce hated the President.

Nothing worst than a dog who gives stupid answers.

aeffects

Dec 25, 2007, 3:57:29 PM12/25/07

old big'SCAB'dog don't know his stuff -- no surprise there.....

cdddraftsman

Dec 25, 2007, 3:58:54 PM12/25/07
On Dec 25, 12:11 pm, Gil Jesus <gjjm...@aol.com> wrote:
>(Snipped for being assbackwards)

The Coward Kennedy pulled air support after only one sortie and that
assured
the failure of the mission !

Fuck You Gilstapo READ YOUR HISTORY YOU LYING MOTHER FUCKING SCUM
BAG !

tl

Walt

Dec 25, 2007, 5:22:39 PM12/25/07

My, my, aren't we getting testy.....Are you embarrassed that the truth
is emerging? Or are you getting angry at being exposed as a dumbass??

Walt

aeffects

Dec 26, 2007, 12:53:28 AM12/26/07

He's scared Walt.... kiddies get like that when cornered (where is Von
Pein [aka Dave Reitzes] when a certifiable Nutter needs him, eh?
LMAO!

> Walt

Message has been deleted

Gil Jesus

Dec 26, 2007, 4:37:44 AM12/26/07
On Dec 25, 3:58 pm, cdddraftsman <cdddrafts...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The Coward Kennedy pulled air support after only one sortie and that
> assured
> the failure of the mission !
>
> Fuck You Gilstapo READ YOUR HISTORY YOU LYING MOTHER FUCKING SCUM
> BAG !
>
> tl

Well folks, looks like we've finally uncovered WHY Lowry is anti-
conspiracy.

He's anti-JFK.

Looks like his position has been exposed as having NOTHING to do with
the WC.

My question is: Are ALL LNers also anti-JFK ?

Ronald 'More-More' Moshki

Dec 26, 2007, 12:09:05 PM12/26/07
On Dec 25, 3:58 pm, cdddraftsman <cdddrafts...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Here is our reasoned discourse, our attempt to solve the
mystery without interjection of childish bickering and
gratuitious mud-slinging.

aeffects

Dec 26, 2007, 12:17:25 PM12/26/07
On Dec 25, 10:29 pm, Chuck Schuyler <chu...@am-mtg.com> wrote:
> > Nothing worst than a dog who gives stupid answers.- Hide quoted text -
>
> How did they get John Connally, as you imply, to go along with
> whipping out a pistol on Elm St. and shooting at the President?

sitdown Gloria---- we're witnessing Lower_y implode.....

Walt

Dec 26, 2007, 12:25:33 PM12/26/07

Ol give em hell Harry used to say yesterday's news paper is no longer
news....It's history.

The May 10 1963 issue of LIFE dealt primarily with the HISTORY of the
BOP. Luce was not publishing news, he was fanning the embers of hatred
for JFK.

A national published high profile magazine, with a enormous
circulation, like LIFE, publishing an inflamitory issue like the one
it published just six months before President Kennedy was murdered,
was NOT publishing NEWS.....

Walt

Dec 26, 2007, 4:24:26 PM12/26/07

No, not all Lner's are anti JFK..... Some are paid to propagate the
lie of the W.C., ( Mc Adams, Von Pea Brain) they are only anti-
truth., and they are anti-truth because they are paid to be antitruth.
(Basically they are intellectual whores)

Then there are others who think they are being patriotic by denying
that a conspiracy was behind the murder. They recognize that the
conspiracy had to have been domestic, and not the plot of some foriegn
power, and it scares the pee outta them to think that their country's
leaders could possibly be ruthless, arrogant, contemptable, scum of
the earth like Adolph Hitler, or Joseph Stalin, or Amin, or Saddam
Hussien.... They simply lack the guts to face the fact that there are
amoral, ruthless, cut-throats in every nation. They are like little
kids who want to live in a fantasy world.

Then there are some who are just plain stupid.

Some of the LNer's who post here possess all three qualities.

Walt

Walt

Dec 26, 2007, 6:48:08 PM12/26/07
On 25 Dec, 14:58, cdddraftsman <cdddrafts...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Dec 25, 12:11 pm, Gil Jesus <gjjm...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >(Snipped for being assbackwards)
>
> The Coward Kennedy pulled air support after only one sortie and that
> assured
> the failure of the mission !

Coward??... Did it require an immense amount of courage to set up the
blockade of Cuba and face down the Russians??

You probably can't see that through your CIA issue glasses.

Gil Jesus

Dec 27, 2007, 5:28:03 PM12/27/07
> > tl- Hide quoted text -

Walt,

when 1300 of 1447 men of an attacking force surrenders (89.8%), I'd
say that that attacking force was not "ready" for combat.

justm...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2007, 5:30:51 PM12/27/07
> say that that attacking force was not "ready" for combat.- Hide quoted text -

The Revolutionary Council, the C.I.A.-created alternative to Mr.
Castro, became the agency's ''puppets,'' as described in the report.
''Isolated in a Miami safe house, 'voluntarily' but under strong
persuasion, the Revolutionary Council members awaited the outcome of
military operation which they had not planned and knew little about
while agency-written bulletins were issued to the world in their
name.''

If the C.I.A. could not work with Cubans, Mr. Kirkpatrick warned
prophetically, ''how can the agency possibly succeed with the natives
of Black Africa or Southeast Asia?''

President Kennedy had been in office just three months when the
invasion took place. The report argued that he might not have fully
grasped the details of the raid, because the C.I.A. did not fully
explain them.

''Detailed policy authorization for some specific actions was either
never fully clarified or only resolved at the 11th hour,'' it said.
''Even the central decision as to whether to employ the strike force
was still somewhat in doubt up to the very moment of embarkation.''

The C.I.A. convinced itself and the White House that the invasion
would magically create in Cuba ''an organized resistance that did not
exist,'' composed of 30,000 Cubans who would ''make their way through
the Castro army and wade the swamps to rally to the liberators.''
This
was self-deception, the report said, adding drily, ''We are unaware
of
any planning by the agency or by the U.S. Government for this
success.''

On April 15, 1961, C.I.A. pilots knocked out part of Castro's air
force, and were set to finish the job. At the last minute, on April
16, President Kennedy called off the air strikes, but the message did
not reach the 1,511 commandos headed for the Bay of Pigs. Three days
of fighting destroyed the invading force. A brigade commander sent
his
final messages: ''We are out of ammo and fighting on the beach.
Please
send help,'' and: ''In water. Out of ammo. Enemy closing in. Help
must
arrive in next hour.''

It never came. Over the next few days two American teams and a crew
of
Cuban frogmen plucked 26 survivors off the beaches and reefs.

After the inquiry completed its work, the agency clearly viewed the
report as poison: ''In unfriendly hands, it can become a weapon
unjustifiably to attack the entire mission, organization, and
functions of the agency,'' warned General Cabell, the Deputy Director
at the time. Nevertheless, the C.I.A. agreed to release the report as
part of a slow process of making public parts of its past.

Read with hindsight, the accumulated weight of the details in Mr.
Kirkpatrick's report makes a case that ''the fundamental cause of the
disaster'' was the C.I.A.'s incompetence, not President Kennedy's
failure to follow through with the air raids in support of the
commandos.

The agency failed the President by failing to tell him ''that success
had become dubious and to recommend that the operation be therefore
canceled,'' it said.

The consequence of canceling was chagrin: ''The world already knew
all
about the preparations, and the Government's and the agency's
embarrassment would have been public,'' the report said. The cost of
continuing was ''failure, which brought even more embarrassment,
carried death and misery to hundreds'' and wounded American prestige.
''The choice was between retreat without honor and a gamble between
ignominious defeat and dubious victory,'' the report said.

''The agency chose to gamble, at rapidly decreasing odds,'' in an
operation sabotaged by bad intelligence, incompetent staffing,
illusionary planning, and self-deception. In the future, it
concluded,
when the White House wanted to engage in major covert operations
''which may profoundly affect world events,'' it should call the
Defense Department, not the C.I.A.

The report was released under the Freedom of Information Act to the
National Security Archive, which collects and publishes declassified
Government documents. Peter Kornbluh, director of the archive's Cuba
Documentation Project, called the report ''one of the most important
examples of self-criticism ever written inside the agency.'' He said
it would be posted on Sunday at the archive's web site: http://
www.seas.gwu.edu/nsarchive.

Correction: February 23, 1998, Monday An article yesterday about the
Central Intelligence Agency's internal report on the 1961 Bay of Pigs
invasion, and a front-page summary of the article in some copies,
misstated the death toll among the invaders. Of about 1,500
commandos,
114 died, not nearly 1,500, and 1,189 were captured; the rest either
never landed or made their way back to safety.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9403E1D91F3FF931A15751...

Walt

Dec 27, 2007, 7:09:31 PM12/27/07
On 27 Dec, 16:30, "justme1...@gmail.com" <justme1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 27, 5:28 pm, Gil Jesus <gjjm...@aol.com> wrote:

> > > Coward??...  Did it require an immense amount of courage to set up the
> > > blockade of Cuba and face down the Russians??
>
> > > You probably can't see that through your CIA issue glasses.

> > Walt,
>
> > when 1300 of 1447 men of an attacking force surrenders (89.8%), I'd
> > say that that attacking force was not "ready" for combat.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for posting this article...... It puts the blame for the
CIA's debacle squarely on the shoulders of the CIA where it
belongs.

The BOP was a harebrained scheme cooked up by a bunch of old WWII
warhawks and politicians who were working hand in glove with the
mafia. Castro had run American "business-men" out of Cuba after he
seized power on News Years Day 1959. The American "business-men" had
turned Havana into a crime mecca, and a brothel in the Carribean, and
they had learned of oil deposits under the Zapata swamps. Those
American "business-men" ( Nixon, Rebozo, Bush, Lansky, Marcello, Ruby,
etal ) in cahoots with the Cuban "business-men" thast Castro had
forced into exile, wanted Castro ousted so they could continue their
exploitation of Cuba and it's people. These were the elements that
were allied and formed a band of pirates with a common goal....... The
overthrow of Castro.
Nixon being Vice President under a retired General who was a
"Gentleman President" was allowed to run the office while the
President played golf. He and the old Warhawks in the CIA cooked up
the scheme of the CIA secretly organizing, and training a strike force
of Cuban exiles to overthrow Castro. Nixon thought that he was a shoo-
in for President in 1960 when Eisenhower left office, and as President
he would "rid the western hemisphere of the red menace just 90 miles
off our southern shore". He knew he couldn't attack Cuba without
provacation, so he would have to provoke Castro into attacking the
United States at the U.S. Naval base at Guantanamo.
JFK threw a monkey wrench into the machinery by winning the
election, and becoming President. However, The CIA. the Mafia, and
the old Warhawks did not abandon the plan. They worked on JFK and
tried to manipulate him into going along with their plan. In the end
JFK said that he wouldn't interfere if the Cubans wanted to try to
overthrow Castro but it was their baby. They could not expect the
United States to provide any military help, under any condition.

Walt

> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9403E1D91F3FF931A15751...- Hide quoted text -

cdddraftsman

Jan 7, 2008, 5:58:32 AM1/7/08
On Dec 26 2007, 1:24 pm, Walt <papakochenb...@evertek.net> wrote:
> (Snipped)

Go take a pee gurgles , you're floating of a sea of
conspiracy ....Blub blub blub !

tl

cdddraftsman

Jan 7, 2008, 6:02:07 AM1/7/08
On Dec 26 2007, 3:48 pm, Walt <papakochenb...@evertek.net> wrote:
> On 25 Dec, 14:58, cdddraftsman <cdddrafts...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 25, 12:11 pm, Gil Jesus <gjjm...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > >(Snipped for being assbackwards)
>
> > The Coward Kennedy pulled air support after only one sortie and that
> > assured
> > the failure of the mission !
>
> Coward??...  Did it require an immense amount of courage to set up the
> blockade of Cuba and face down the Russians??
>
> You probably can't see that through your CIA issue glasses.

It would of took a great deal of courage to bomb the missile sites
like Le May
wanted to do , but JFK was either spineless or had back problems ,
take your
pick , but stop picking your nose while writing , it shows .

tl

cdddraftsman

Jan 7, 2008, 6:09:18 AM1/7/08
On Dec 27 2007, 4:09 pm, Walt <papakochenb...@evertek.net> wrote:
The BOP was a harebrained scheme cooked up by a bunch of old WWII
warhawks and politicians who were working hand in glove with the
mafia.
> (Snipped)

Hahahahahaha ! Listen to Walt conjure those prefabrications like
machine
gun bullets a rat-a-tat-tat ! You'd be best getting a new pair of rose
colored
conspiracy glasses Walt , your gloom and doom posts are getting
foggier
by the day ! Listening to you talk is like listening to someone with
his head
in a fish tank and half the fun .

tl

Walt

Jan 7, 2008, 7:20:20 AM1/7/08
On 7 Jan, 05:09, cdddraftsman <cdddrafts...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Dec 27 2007, 4:09 pm, Walt <papakochenb...@evertek.net> wrote:
> The BOP was a harebrained scheme cooked up by a bunch of old WWII
> warhawks and politicians who were working hand in glove with the
> mafia.
>
> > (Snipped)
>
> Hahahahahaha ! Listen to Walt conjure those prefabrications like
> machine
> gun bullets a rat-a-tat-tat ! You'd be best getting a new pair of rose colored conspiracy glasses Walt , your gloom and doom posts are getting foggier by the day !

Ha, ha, ha,ha..ROTFLMAO!!..... You seem to be a bit confused, have you
been smokin that stuff again?? Looking at the world through rose
colored glasses is an axiom meaning a person is an optomist and sees
things in a positive way......that person certainly wouldn't be called
a "gloom and doom person."

Walt

Jan 7, 2008, 7:45:31 AM1/7/08
On 7 Jan, 05:02, cdddraftsman <cdddrafts...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Dec 26 2007, 3:48 pm, Walt <papakochenb...@evertek.net> wrote:

> > > The Coward Kennedy pulled air support after only one sortie and that
> > > assured
> > > the failure of the mission !
>
> > Coward??...  Did it require an immense amount of courage to set up the
> > blockade of Cuba and face down the Russians??
>
> > You probably can't see that through your CIA issue glasses.
>
> It would of took a great deal of courage to bomb the missile sites
> like Le May wanted to do , ... You are really confused, you apparently don't know the difference between courage and insanity. Back in 62 the U.S., under the leadership of John Kennedy, wouldn't have attacked a sovereign nation under any condition. JFK knew our heritage and the treaties we'd signed, and would not attack Cuba. The U.S. had never gone to war against any nation that had not declared war on the U.S. first. Bombing a sovereign nation is an act of war. A blockade of a nation's lanes of commerce is also an act of war, but not as overt and violent as bombing. JFK calculated that he could set up a "quarantine" of Cuba and avoid a nuclear showdown with the USSR. It was a very dangerous gamble ...but it worked. Apparently you've forgotten how the entire world held it's breath during that quarantine. Everybody knew that the "quarantine" was in reality a BLOCKADE and an act of war, but the old war hawks wanted and act of war that killed people and destroyed material. They wanted a bloody confrontation ( of course it wasn't their blood) in which to they could ride to glory. In some ways it's a pity that JFK didn't listen to their calls for violence.... They would have ended up with the blood of millions of people on their hands and they would have been responsible for their grandchildren living in a stone age.

Walt