Nevada Topo map

mi...@sushi.com

Jan 12, 2010, 2:36:01 AM1/12/10
In theory, this procedure will leave you with Garmin mapsource and an
open source topo map on your PC.

You need to have some Garmin software on your PC before it will let
you install mapsource. So you do this installation first:

Download the Training Center:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=835

Install it

Then download the MapSource update:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Install it.

Go to
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
Pick Nevada.
Pick Nevada topo.
Download the map

Open up the map in mapsource.

I hope someone without mapsource installed will try it out and let me
know if I got this procedure down correctly.

nos...@notreal.com

Jan 21, 2010, 2:44:42 PM1/21/10
In article <89d88700-edf8-49d5-9449-
4e7f5f...@m25g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>, mi...@sushi.com says...

> In theory, this procedure will leave you with Garmin mapsource and an
> open source topo map on your PC.
>
> You need to have some Garmin software on your PC before it will let
> you install mapsource. So you do this installation first:

Since you did not receive any replies and I had DeepFreeze on the OS
partition and some time to spare, I thought I would give this a try.
I had no Garmin or MapSource on the drive.

> Download the Training Center:
> http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=835
>
> Install it

Completed with no problems

> Then download the MapSource update:
> http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209
>
> Install it.

Completed with no problems. Unchecked the box that would have opened
MapSource upon install completion

> Go to
> http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
> Pick Nevada.
> Pick Nevada topo.
> Download the map

Good directions. No problems

> Open up the map in mapsource.

Opened the map by selecting "Nevada Topo" in the left upper most small
window in MapSource's opening page.

> I hope someone without mapsource installed will try it out and let me
> know if I got this procedure down correctly.

It does work as you outlined. I do not have an actual paper topo to
compare it to but it does show at the highest detail every single cow
path and possible stream almost to the point of confusion.

obviouslydelusional

Jan 21, 2010, 5:16:30 PM1/21/10
On Jan 11, 11:36 pm, "m...@sushi.com" <m...@sushi.com> wrote:
> In theory, this procedure will leave you with Garmin mapsource and an
> open source topo map on your PC.
>
> You need to have some Garmin software on your PC before it will let
> you install mapsource. So you do this installation first:
>
> Download the Training Center:http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=835
>
> Install it
>
> Then download the MapSource update:http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209
>
> Install it.
>
> Go tohttp://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

> Pick Nevada.
> Pick Nevada topo.
> Download the map
>
> Open up the map in mapsource.
>
> I hope someone without mapsource installed will try it out and let me
> know if I got this procedure down correctly.

I should also add thanks for this pointer. Not so much for the topo
map source, as I have Garmin's 24k DVD map set. But what I didn't
know until I checked out this site was that I could add the 24k maps
to my existing Garmin Nuvi I use for streets.

Basically, if your Nuvi accepts memory cards (micro SD in my case) you
can add maps on to it using Mapsource or Basecamp, and from the Nuvi
menu select which map set you want displayed. So the Nuvi's internal
memory still holds all the normal street data and POIs, but the
microSD card holds the topo map. If you have a large enough microSD
you can put several states worth of topos. So you can have roads for
all of Nevada as well as Garmin's 24,000 scale topo maps, which are
pretty decent. And the Nuvi provides a decent display while you're
bouncing around on back roads.

mi...@sushi.com

Jan 22, 2010, 1:56:42 AM1/22/10
On Jan 21, 2:16 pm, obviouslydelusional

Thanks to both of you for testing this out.

BTW, I have the Garmin Topo 24k and it leaves off many roads in the
military reservation. Maybe the dudes can use this trick for their
GPSs. If they need some roads on the range tracked with a GPS, I
volunteer.

The website where I got the free map also has links to software to buy
to make your own maps. [Used to be free, but so complicated that you
had to be the guy who wrote it to use it.In theory, it is simplified.]
I may give that a try and make a range map with roads not on the map.

On my GPS60CSX, there is some fluke in the OS where you can only have
so many "partitions" for lake of a better word in a map file. For
instance, I can't load the whole DVD unless I use some hack to merge
partitions. Also Garmin suggested not using more than 2Gbytes per
card. I haven't experimented with larger memories.