Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Mike Boling

ungelesen,
26.08.1998, 03:00:0026.08.98
an
Is this likely caused by a virus or the processor over-heating?

John Bloodworth

ungelesen,
26.08.1998, 03:00:0026.08.98
an
Mike Boling wrote:

> Is this likely caused by a virus or the processor over-heating?

Processor over-heating gets my vote

John Bloodworth
AVP UK Distribution

Michael Hitchcock

ungelesen,
26.08.1998, 03:00:0026.08.98
an

Mike Boling wrote in message <35E41316...@kctera.net>...

>Is this likely caused by a virus or the processor over-heating?

More information at:

http://www.dfiusa.com/music.asp

Mike Hitchcock
Network Associates Online Support
Network Associates - The Leader in Network Security and Management
Tech Support - 408.988.3832 WWW - http://www.nai.com
BBS - 408.988.4004 FTP - ftp.nai.com
CIS - GO NAI AOL - keyword MCAFEE
TECH SUPPORT ON THE WEB - http://support.nai.com

neal

ungelesen,
03.09.1998, 03:00:0003.09.98
an
Has anyone ever found a "Beethoven" virus which plays "Fur Elise?" If so,
please post to this group. It's my experience that this is just an
overheating CPU generated from by some motherboards. We've got a villainous
computer store up here in Burlington, VT who sells motherboards which play
that tune when the CPU overheats. Better, they've delivered computers
without hooking up the CPU fans, then tell you that you've got the
"Beethoven virus" when you call for help. The only way to rid your computer
of this "virus", they say, is to replace the motherboard. Better still, the
dealer says that since this is a virus, your warranty does not cover the
parts or labor. And even better than that, this dealer claims to never have
heard of an overheating CPU generating the "Beethoven virus". And that's
even after being told that the CPU fan wasn't hooked up. Anyhow, if anyone
has proof of a "Beethoven virus", please post that info to this newsgroup.
thanks.

MarcelD.

ungelesen,
03.09.1998, 03:00:0003.09.98
an

neal wrote in message <7LvH1.208$eC.1...@news14.ispnews.com>...

>Has anyone ever found a "Beethoven" virus which plays "Fur Elise?" If so,
>please post to this group. It's my experience that this is just an

Nice dealer, ripping off his customers !! There is no beethoven virus, if
there was, it would be recognized by the majority of AV programs.

Marcel D - AV guy speaking entirely for myself !

This weeks free advise : Windows works better if you disable Plug & Play in
your BIOS.

See the faces of this newsgroup at http://members.aol.com/altcompvir/

MarcelD

ungelesen,
03.09.1998, 03:00:0003.09.98
an

Phineas® heeft geschreven in bericht
<6smid7$q0c$1...@usenet40.supernews.com>...

>>Nice dealer, ripping off his customers !! There is no beethoven virus, if
>>there was, it would be recognized by the majority of AV programs.
>>
>Norton AV 5.0 with the latest updates shows a "Beethoven" virus in it's
virus
>list that is classified as "memory resident" and infects .com and .exe
files.
>and is 1719 bytes in size. There is no additional information availible on
>it.
>
>Somehow I have a problem believing that dealer/Fur Elise story but...there
is
>at least ONE Beethoven virus out there...

There is indeed a virus that plays something, I didn't know NAV called it
beethoven. I am pretty sure it's called something else by other AV proggies.
Well, I still think this dealer is abusing his customer.....Anyway, it looks
like that...

Marcel D. - AV guy speaking for himself....

"Aaaah, sending for the first time from my TV-cable Internet account ; the
speed, what a blessing...."

Check out the virusgeeks on http://members.aol.com/altcompvir/ (This idiot
being one of them....)

Robert Hull

ungelesen,
04.09.1998, 03:00:0004.09.98
an
In article <6sm4a2$8hm$1...@news.worldonline.nl>, MarcelD.
<duy...@yahoo.com> wrote

>neal wrote in message <7LvH1.208$eC.1...@news14.ispnews.com>...
>>Has anyone ever found a "Beethoven" virus which plays "Fur Elise?" If so,
>>please post to this group. It's my experience that this is just an
>

>Nice dealer, ripping off his customers !! There is no beethoven virus, if
>there was, it would be recognized by the majority of AV programs.
>
>Marcel D - AV guy speaking entirely for myself !
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Unfortunately, Marcel you are slightly out of date. There *is* a
Beethoven virus although I doubt that the following description covers
the apocryphal story about the rogue dealer.

------------------------- quoted material begins ----------------------
Beethoven

It is a dangerous memory resident parasitic encrypted virus. It hooks
INT 1Ch, 21h and writes itself to the end of COM and
EXE files that are executed or opened. Depending on its internal counter
and the system timer this virus overwrites MBR of
hard drive and files with a Trojan program. When that program is
executed, it displays the message and plays the music:

Beethoven is here.... And now, enjoy the music...

-------------------------- quoted material ends -----------------------

This description is quoted from the AVPVE description of the virus - I
have not checked Joe Well's wild list
--
Robert
F-Prot is available from http://www.complex.is

Axel Pettinger

ungelesen,
05.09.1998, 03:00:0005.09.98
an
MarcelD wrote:

> PhineasŽ heeft geschreven in bericht
> <6smid7$q0c$1...@usenet40.supernews.com>...
> >>

> >>Nice dealer, ripping off his customers !! There is no beethoven
> >>virus, if there was, it would be recognized by the majority of AV
> >>programs.
> >Norton AV 5.0 with the latest updates shows a "Beethoven" virus in
> >it's virus list that is classified as "memory resident" and infects
> >.com and .exe files.
> >and is 1719 bytes in size. There is no additional information
> >availible on it.
> >
> >Somehow I have a problem believing that dealer/Fur Elise story
> >but...there is at least ONE Beethoven virus out there...
> >

> There is indeed a virus that plays something, I didn't know NAV called
> it beethoven. I am pretty sure it's called something else by other AV
> proggies.

No. According to Vgrep NAV knows only one Beethoven virus ...
Almost all anti virus scanners (incl. F-Prot, Dr Solly and AVP) call
this virus Beethoven.
But maybe you didn't mean these scanners??? :))
Then, yes, you're right ... NAI doesn't call it Beethoven.

> Well, I still think this dealer is abusing his
> customer.....Anyway, it looks like that...

Yes ...

> Marcel D. - AV guy speaking for himself....
>
> "Aaaah, sending for the first time from my TV-cable Internet account ;
> the speed, what a blessing...."
>
> Check out the virusgeeks on http://members.aol.com/altcompvir/ (This
> idiot being one of them....)

Regards,