GeForce 6800 Ultra Problems

T-Bone

Dec 6, 2004, 9:46:29 PM12/6/04
I recently put together a new computer. Its an Intel P4 3.0 GHz chip
on a P4C800E - Deluxe motherboard. I've got 1 GB of DDR RAM, SB Audigy
2 ZS Gamer, and, of course, the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra. I'm having
problems with some games, mostly 1st person shooters (Doom 3, Half-Life
2, Star Wars Battlefront, etc.). The game will run great for a while,
then everything freezes. Sometimes, it will restart automatically, but
most of the time, I just have to reset. I have updated the NVIDIA
driver, the Audigy driver, and drivers for the Intel chipset. I have
the most up to date BIOS. I just want to know what might be the
problem and what, if anything, I can do to fix it. Thanks in advance
for any help.

Todd

PRIVATE1964

Dec 6, 2004, 10:30:36 PM12/6/04
Sounds like it could be heat or power related.
Check the cooling on the card. Try running a fan on the card with your case
open. Then test it out. If the problems go away then then overheating is most
likely causing the problems.

If it does not do anything then it could be your power supply does not have
enough or barely enough wattage for your computer.

You might also want to try using molex power connectors that are separate from
everything else in your system.

Tom Dauphin

Dec 6, 2004, 11:32:22 PM12/6/04
You don't say what size PS you're using, but I'd be willing to bet that's
the culprit, especially with that power hungry 6800 card. Anything less than
420-480 watts would be questionable in that setup.

HTH
"T-Bone" <toddb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dorph

Dec 7, 2004, 8:12:08 AM12/7/04

I had excatly the same issue with my Asus V 9999Ultra Deluxe, this was
not a heating prolem nor was it power supply issue. I use a North Q 500w
power supply and have a cool kabinet (thermaltake with 2front fans and 2
backfans). The problem was corrected by turning engine clock from 425mhz
to 400mhz. Try this first as this is easyly done, if it helps problem can be
inveastigated
form there, in my case i would say that the the gpu simply was not up to the
task of 425mhz.

Dorph

Dave C.

Dec 7, 2004, 8:51:23 AM12/7/04
I've had similar problems with my Evga. How do you turn the clock speed
down? Is it in the Nvidia software or bios? See my post "6800 Ultra Power
Issue" (I've tried it all!)

Thanks for the info...

"Dorph" <b_xx...@xxx.dk> wrote in message

Scotter

Dec 7, 2004, 10:12:08 AM12/7/04
If the problem does not end up being power supply or clock speed, it could
be RAM.
I'm thinking at first the game is using only some of the RAM but after some
period of time it finally starts to use the part that is damaged and then
lockup occurs. But I'm hoping your problem is merely a clock speed issue.

Dorph

Dec 7, 2004, 10:27:44 AM12/7/04
The Asus V 9999Ultra have its own Asus drivers and it can be done
from the drivers.For others than Asus it can be done by other
programs, i dont use the Asus driver anymore and do it by using
"powerStrip" a handy little program for all sorts of tweaks.
If you try to download "PowerStrip" you will find adjustment-
sliders for both engineclock and memoryclock under performance-
profiles.

"Dave C." <d...@geosurv.com> wrote in message

Dorph

Dec 7, 2004, 10:34:31 AM12/7/04
Ohh and forgot an even easyer method - download the coolbits reg.
This little reg will open the hidden opotunity already build
into the drivers.
http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_coolbits/

Dorph

"Dorph" <b_xx...@xxx.dk> wrote in message

Romano Cule

Dec 9, 2004, 4:38:46 AM12/9/04

"Dave C." <d...@geosurv.com> je napisao u poruci interesnoj grupi:

The problem was corrected by turning engine clock from 425mhz
>> to 400mhz. Try this first as this is easyly done, if it helps problem can
>> be inveastigated
>> form there, in my case i would say that the the gpu simply was not up to
>> the
>> task of 425mhz.

Then what's the point of Ultra card when you must lower gpu frekvencies?Then
GT is the way to go.

Dorph

Dec 9, 2004, 5:29:37 AM12/9/04

"Romano Cule" <ali...@vip.hr> wrote in message
Some how mine was set to 425mhz from the start - but i believe that standard
on a
6800u are 400mhz wich it will run fine.

6800ultra 400mhz core and 1100mhz memory 16x1 pipelines
6800gt 350mhz core and 1000mhz memory 16x1pipelines
6800 325mhz core and 700mhz memory 12x1pipelines

mohamma...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2004, 12:12:46 AM12/18/04
Some companies overclocked their cards to 425 MHz in the bios in order
to try and differentiate from the competition. Thing is, just about
every company decided to oc the cards since they were able to get them
to run stably enough.

I had tons of issues with rebooting, BSODs, games crashing, freezing,
etc. Barring any issues with regards to the Ultra getting enough
power, etc, a common fix I saw was to disable fast writes. That only
helped partially. I came across a suggestion on Anandtech's forums to
not downgrade the 3D clockspeed but rather overclock the 2D speed. I.e
if your card is currently running at 425 for its 3D, overclock the 2D
to the same amount. If you wish to overclock your 3D clockspeed
further, make sure to do the same for the 2D clockspeed.

I found that the best way to do this is to use nvflash, download a copy
of your video card's bios, and use a program to edit it. Set the 2D
clockspeed to the same speed as your 3D clockspeed. Save it and flash
the updated bios to your video card.

This fix cured all my stability issues, Whereas before I'd be lucky if
I could finish a gaming session without freezing, I regularly have the
computer running for 4-5 days without any issues (I manually reboot
because of installing some update or some such activity but not due to
lockups).

dvus

Dec 18, 2004, 8:29:54 AM12/18/04
mohamma...@gmail.com wrote:

Does a video card switch between modes during a game? Mine (Asus V9999)
seems to have three modes, 2d, 3d and 3d gaming (or something like that).
What determines the switch between modes, and does it happen often during a
particular use?

dvus

mohamma...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2004, 2:33:40 AM12/19/04
Yes I believe it does but that's dependent on the game. Think about it
this way. During loading, games usually have some screen with art or
tips, etc about the area you're entering. The card would be in 2D
mode. When the game loads up, you're switching to 3D rendering. I
believe this switch, which also causes the clockspeed to change due to
the different settings, is the culprit to the card hanging.

I'd highly recommond you using nvflash, download a copy of your video
card's bios onto your HD, and edit the clockspeeds in their. First try
setting both 2D and 3D clockspeed to 400 MHz. Leave the memory speed.
Reflash the bios to your video card and try playing. If there are no
issues after this and you really want a few extra frames, go back and
edit your video card's bios. Set them both to 425 MHz and reflash.

A side note: I was unable to get this working successfuly when I used
Coolbits or Rivatuner to set the 2D/3D clockspeed to the same setting.
My computer would still crash and hang. Only by flashing the BIOS with
the speeds corrected my issues. You could try using these utilities
first and see if that helps.

dvus

Dec 19, 2004, 12:02:24 PM12/19/04
mohamma...@gmail.com wrote: