Paperport

SBaranow

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
I have version 5.3 and just found out that it saves my folders in
"Folder0d7\desktop.05c(temporary)"
Naturallly when temp files are deleted there goes my files.
anybody have a suggestion as to how to change the default save id?
Stan B.
Stan B.

Ladislav Hanousek

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
You can't. The only "defense" is NOT cleaning up temp files beginning with
tilde (~) sign.

You have just discovered the hard way one of many design problems of
PaperPort software. But don't despair, there are more serious bugs in it.

One of the worst is a "stealth" way the Paperport software (or to be
precise, the runppdrv.exe driver) constantly hogs up to 97% of the CPU
cycles _doing nothing_, so your computer CPU runs extremely slow - and you
don't even know why! It happens only on faster machines (Pentium 200 MHz and
up), So if you ever wonder why is your machine not responding quick enough
in OTHER programs, it could very well be that the Paperport driver (always
loaded in the background) is the culprit.

I have discovered this problem over a year ago, talked to Visioneer about
it, they admitted the problem exists, but they won't fix it. So I began
assembling a self-help group of similarly affected Paperport users and we
plan to file a major class action suit against Visioneer once our number is
big enough (at this time we are almost 1,000 strong).

Maybe a real possibility of losing a few million Dollars will motivate
Visioneer to finally fix the problem.

There is a way to find out if your computer is affected - if you are
interested in, just let me know.

SBaranow wrote in message
<199809071417...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

SBaranow

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

>There is a way to find out if your computer is affected - if you are
>interested in, just let me know.

would be interested in knowing if my machine is affected.
Stan B.

Doug

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
Ladislav Hanousek wrote:

> You can't. The only "defense" is NOT cleaning up temp files beginning with
> tilde (~) sign.
>
> You have just discovered the hard way one of many design problems of
> PaperPort software. But don't despair, there are more serious bugs in it.
>
> One of the worst is a "stealth" way the Paperport software (or to be
> precise, the runppdrv.exe driver) constantly hogs up to 97% of the CPU
> cycles _doing nothing_, so your computer CPU runs extremely slow - and you
> don't even know why! It happens only on faster machines (Pentium 200 MHz and
> up), So if you ever wonder why is your machine not responding quick enough
> in OTHER programs, it could very well be that the Paperport driver (always
> loaded in the background) is the culprit.
>
> I have discovered this problem over a year ago, talked to Visioneer about
> it, they admitted the problem exists, but they won't fix it. So I began
> assembling a self-help group of similarly affected Paperport users and we
> plan to file a major class action suit against Visioneer once our number is
> big enough (at this time we are almost 1,000 strong).
>
> Maybe a real possibility of losing a few million Dollars will motivate
> Visioneer to finally fix the problem.
>
> There is a way to find out if your computer is affected - if you are
> interested in, just let me know.
>
> SBaranow wrote in message
> <199809071417...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...
> >I have version 5.3 and just found out that it saves my folders in
> >"Folder0d7\desktop.05c(temporary)"
> >Naturallly when temp files are deleted there goes my files.
> >anybody have a suggestion as to how to change the default save id?
> >Stan B.
> >Stan B.
Please post your "way of finding out if our computers are affected." I
have a 200 non mmx machine with Paperport 5.2 on it with no slowdown
whatsoever. I think your conspiracy is a bunch of bunk and the 1000 in a
class action lawsuit..... pleeeeeeease. Unless you can prove to this
group that something is up, I'll just label you as someone who screwed
up his own computer and wants to blame Visioneer.
My 2 cents.
Doug

truth

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
There is a solution to the files disappearing. I was at their website a few
weeks ago and saw this new software they have called Visual Explorer. I got
it and am really thrilled with it. They also have drivers for faster CPU's.

So, to the individual that wants to blame others for his problems, check out
the facts. I really don't believe that their company told you that. I too
think you screwed something up and don't want to admit it. You are probably
one of those people that don't ask for help and try to fix things and make
them worse.

SBaranow wrote in message <19981002141453...@ng101.aol.com>...

>>There is a way to find out if your computer is affected - if you are
>>interested in, just let me know.

Olga Johnson

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 20:09:16 -0700, "Ladislav Hanousek"
<la...@cybcon.com> wrote:

>One of the worst is a "stealth" way the Paperport software (or to be
>precise, the runppdrv.exe driver) constantly hogs up to 97% of the CPU
>cycles _doing nothing_, so your computer CPU runs extremely slow - and you
>don't even know why! It happens only on faster machines (Pentium 200 MHz and
>up), So if you ever wonder why is your machine not responding quick enough
>in OTHER programs, it could very well be that the Paperport driver (always
>loaded in the background) is the culprit.

It's not the runppdrv driver that slows down the system; it isn't even
used for some scanners and software versions. It is allowing the
paperport background indexing. Turn it off, and PP does not slow down
your system.

Glenn Butkerait

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
Get your facts straight...your claims make you look like an ass. It's sad
that the scumbag lawyers in our society have provided a way for idiots like
you and your 999 cohorts to tie up our legal system with bullshit.

Glenn B.