How would you rate Gigabyte quality, and support?

Steve

Aug 10, 2006, 12:44:12 AM8/10/06
The gigabyte website seems a bit confused, but it looks like you can
seek support here http://tw.giga-byte.com/Support/Default.aspx and also
submit questions here
http://tw.giga-byte.com/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx

And then either get the answer in your email, or also look for it here
http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/ At least, in theory.

Folks, are you getting satisfying answers from Gigabyte? I don't
suppose they have a friendly engineer who monitors this newsgroup?

Actually, I've tried both yesterday and today to submit a question and
every time I get "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server ??~
'80040e31' Timeout expired /QuestSave.asp, ?C32" and apparently my
question does not get submitted.

Is this the kind of support we will typically get from Gigabyte? If so,
can someone recommend a better motherboard brand, either one that has
fewer issues, or actually lets you submit questions and gives you good
answers? Is my experience so far typical?

Steve

Aug 10, 2006, 3:54:56 AM8/10/06
I notice that people only post to this newsgroup a few times a week.
Is this because...

- Gigabyte mainboards never have any problems?
- There's a better newsgroup, or website that anyone who stumbled here
should check instead?
- Gigabyte's tech support is so excellent? (for me, they've now changed
from a dead database to a straight 404 error, still cannot even submit
a question)

Have you succeeded in contacting their tech support? How? And how long
until they respond?

Steve

Aug 10, 2006, 5:19:20 AM8/10/06

According to a recent Google search:

"gigabyte technical support sucks" 56,700 results
"asus technical support sucks" 102,000 results
"tyan technical support sucks" 10,200 results

"apple technical support sucks" 883,200 results

However, these results are not normalized to the number of customers
and products sold.

Also people only tend to post about their bad experiences.

Gigabyte's support website for submitting problems has been down a lot
lately. Even when it works, someone reported a long delay to get a
reply.

Davy

Aug 10, 2006, 11:56:53 PM8/10/06
I built my first computer using a Gigabyte mobo four years ago I
think it was and still going strong... still using the factory bios
flash.

There was a couple of problems but I consider them minor, there are 2
caps (capacitors) 1200uF 6.3V which has gassed, and where the
notorious green GSC brand, I replaced them with low ESR hi-temp
types.

The 2nd niggle was the Northbridge fan, last year it started sticking
so I got onto Gigabyte and they sent me 3 of em free of
charge......... so you can say I'm a big fan of Gigabyte.

Note the capacitor problem was only with the issue 1 version of the
mobo later versions of the GA-7VAXP wasn't affected and much improved
- this applies to any other equipemnt that uses these caps see-:

http://www.niccomp.com/taiwanlowesr.htm

More interesting reading -:

http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm

All due to industrial espionage...!

Davy

AnotherAnonymous

Aug 11, 2006, 1:01:20 AM8/11/06
"Steve" <steve....@gmail.com> wrote in message

I have always used Gigabyte boards and never had a problem except for one
time, the board aged for 3-4 yrs and ended up with a few leaky caps which
probably happened because I ran it through a heated rinse cycle in my
automatic dishwasher (lol). Still lasted over a year after I did that and by
then i was ready to upgrade anyway. I have had some questions to ask their
support in the past and it took a couple of days but they were thourough on
their answers and helped out greatly. I prolly will never have anything
other that gigabyte, IMHO. Best of luck with your choice.

aitc...@nospam.yahoo.co.uk

Aug 11, 2006, 3:35:19 AM8/11/06
On 9 Aug 2006 21:44:12 -0700, "Steve" <steve....@gmail.com> wrote:

>The gigabyte website seems a bit confused, but it looks like you can
>seek support here http://tw.giga-byte.com/Support/Default.aspx and also
>submit questions here
>http://tw.giga-byte.com/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx
>
>And then either get the answer in your email, or also look for it here
>http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/ At least, in theory.

I cannot fault Gigabyte support, over the last week or so I have asked
them a number of questions via their 'ggts' system and have received
helpful responses within 48-hours.

With the 'ggts' system Gigabyte inform you by email that there is a
reply to your question and then you log onto:-

http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/

Where you can read their response, although at the moment this service
is not available as they are undertaking maintenance which will take
in the region of 24-hours.

Cheers - Aitcho

Steve

Aug 11, 2006, 5:32:34 AM8/11/06

> Note the capacitor problem was only with the issue 1 version of the
> mobo later versions of the GA-7VAXP wasn't affected and much improved
> - this applies to any other equipemnt that uses these caps see-:
>
> http://www.niccomp.com/taiwanlowesr.htm
>
> More interesting reading -:

> http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm
>
> All due to industrial espionage...!

There were some Dells with these bad caps too. The Gigabyte 965P-DS3
965P-DS4 and 965P-DQ6 (notice the D in the model number) have solid
capacitors that should avoid this problem.

I never got through to Gigabyte tech support, and still think they
should put up the latest Realtek drivers, but my audio problem is
solved. Now, time to OC...