K7S5A PRO max hard drive

1 view

Kbus

Dec 17, 2003, 6:13:19 AM12/17/03
i know the k7s5a ver 3.1 maximum is 137, but what is the max for the pro
version? before flashing to updated bios? after?

thx

Martin

Dec 17, 2003, 3:12:40 PM12/17/03

"Kbus" <kb...@telus.net> wrote in message

> i know the k7s5a ver 3.1 maximum is 137, but what is the max for the pro
> version? before flashing to updated bios? after?
>
> thx

I was gonna post the exact same question myself.
I have a K7S5A Pro and have a 160GB Seagate Barracuda on it's way - Google
is amass with conflicting 'good advice' and no definate answer can be found.

Martin.

Martin

Dec 17, 2003, 6:53:23 PM12/17/03

"Martin" <warw...@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message

Found this on my travels

http://tinyurl.com/36s8j

Martin.

Martin

Dec 17, 2003, 7:00:35 PM12/17/03

"Martin" <warw...@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message

And also

http://tinyurl.com/3d7tc

Martin.

Kbus

Dec 17, 2003, 8:34:05 PM12/17/03
thx for the help martin

so to sum it up... ecs k7s5a pro will support whatever size hd the OS
supports, as long as the primary drive is less than 137 gig, then drives
after that can be larger..?

"Martin" <warw...@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message

SLIM

Dec 17, 2003, 10:01:38 PM12/17/03
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 01:34:05 GMT, "Kbus" <kb...@telus.net> wrote:

>thx for the help martin
>
>so to sum it up... ecs k7s5a pro will support whatever size hd the OS
>supports, as long as the primary drive is less than 137 gig, then drives
>after that can be larger..?

I have a 160 gb WD drive in my K7S5A Pro running Windows 2000.

It was my understanding that anything over 137 gb couldn't be accessed
unless you had Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3 or 4, or XP with Service
Pack 1.

I just made the first partition (Drive C) 100 gb.
Then installed the OS and upgraded to Service Pack 4.
Once in Windows 2000, I created the 2nd partition using
the rest of the space on the drive.
It works fine.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Dec 23, 2003, 5:26:57 PM12/23/03
SLIM <ric.d...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Check out Maxtor's web site for information on the MaxBlast software they
have for use with their drives. I'm pretty sure other manufacturors have
similar software, however, I generally stick with Maxtors myself.

SLIM

Dec 23, 2003, 11:58:44 PM12/23/03
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:26:57 GMT, "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <f...@spamsnothere.org>
wrote:

But you don't need to use MaxBlast with the K7S5A Pro. It will see the
full capacity of a 160 gb drive. Just don't create the boot partition bigger
than 137 gb or try to access anything over the 137 gb limit until you get
your OS installed (Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3 or 4, or XP with
Service Pack 1).

Martin

Dec 24, 2003, 11:23:38 AM12/24/03
Well my 160GB Seagate Barracuda arrived as promised on Monday and is working
pERFECTLY!!
It's detected by the BIOS's AUTO setting.
Running Windows XP with SP1a.

Seagate ST3160023A 160gb 7200rpm 8mb Cache Barracuda 7200.7 Plus - a very
nice (quiet) drive.

Martin.

SLIM

Dec 24, 2003, 7:20:49 PM12/24/03

What size partitions did you create?

Martin

Dec 24, 2003, 10:45:16 PM12/24/03

"SLIM" <ric.d...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Details...

I have a 40GB Seagate Barracuda on primary master - no partitions - main
Windows boot drive.
Now i've added the 160GB Barracuda as primary slave, i made a 10GB partition
which is my D: drive and the remainder of the 160GB is partioned as my E:
drive.
All drives use NTFS with a 4K cluster size.
I used the Seagate Disc Wizard to partition and format the new 160GB drive
by the way.

As you can see i don't boot from the 160GB drive.

With other (smaller) drives, the BIOS setup (press F3 on drive setup screen)
will auto-detect the drive's specifications and automatically configure it's
USER settings - therefore it's not set to AUTO and (re)detected upon every
boot-up.
However, the 160GB drive when F3 is selected to configure it's USER settings
remains in AUTO mode. It's auto-detected ok as 160GB but the BIOS setup
doesn't configure the USER settings - so it's auto-detected upon each
boot-up.
No problem of course - maybe a later BIOS would be able to auto-configure
the USER settings?
Or i may look into configuring it's USER settings manually....

Martin.

Shep©

Dec 25, 2003, 2:46:40 PM12/25/03
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:58:44 GMT Singing Yo-Ho-Ho and a Merry KMA
SLIM <ric.d...@verizon.net> wrote :

Please don't confuse,"Partition" limitations with,"Hardware"
limitations.If the mother board is limited to 137 gig then making
partitions of any size will not defeat this.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Steve Friedman

Dec 27, 2003, 8:14:28 AM12/27/03
Bios sometimes fails to detect 200 gig wd sec master on post

within bios autodetect sees it correctly in an instant, just says 200
gig but doesn't show cylinders, etc etc.

OS works fine and sees correct size.

Just on some boot the bios fails to detect that drive on post.