ASUS A8N-E Motherboard: How to find nVidia Chipset Driver Version

1 view

Oldtimer

Aug 6, 2006, 1:09:38 PM8/6/06
I've looked everywhere I can think of and Goggled many times, but I
still don't know how to determine what version of the nVidia chipset
drivers came with my motherboard.

The board says it's Rev. 2.0 The BIOS is Ver. 1010.

I used the nVidia Nforce4 Series Support CD Rev. 159.06. When I ran
it, I selected the Chipset Driver, SMBus Driver and Ethernet Driver to
be installed.

The ASUS web site shows nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.65
for Windows XP(WHQL) as the latest Win XP driver.

I don't want to install this without knowing what I already have.

Thanks for your help.

Mark A

Aug 6, 2006, 2:23:37 PM8/6/06
"Oldtimer" <Oldt...@home.net> wrote in message

Since your motherboard had bios 1010 installed at the factory, then I
believe Asus would have had to supply the V6.65 on the Support CD supplied
with the motherboard.

From the Asus support site:

"A8N-E Bios version 1010 -Please do read the description before updating
BIOS.
To avoid crashing file system, please do update the chipset driver to below
version prior to this Bios.
For WinXP 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.65 or
later."

The latest drivers from Nvidia are here (Win 2000 or XP 32 bit):
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html

The driver release number is actually for a collection of individual drivers
for audio, Ethernet, SATA, SMBus, etc, each with its own release level (see
link above). You can check the release level of your individual drivers
already installed using the Hardware Device Manager in Windows.

Frodo

Aug 6, 2006, 6:41:21 PM8/6/06
I've been using the A8N-E for about a month.
Update to the latest bios, version 1013
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
Then download the latest NVIDIA drivers for the Nforce 4 Ultra chipset,
which is version 6.86
The software is listed as drivers for "nForce series AMD"
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html

Oldtimer

Aug 6, 2006, 7:41:02 PM8/6/06
On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 12:23:37 -0600, "Mark A" <nob...@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>"Oldtimer" <Oldt...@home.net> wrote in message
>> I've looked everywhere I can think of and Goggled many times, but I
>> still don't know how to determine what version of the nVidia chipset
>> drivers came with my motherboard.
>>
>> The board says it's Rev. 2.0 The BIOS is Ver. 1010.
>>
>> I used the nVidia Nforce4 Series Support CD Rev. 159.06. When I ran
>> it, I selected the Chipset Driver, SMBus Driver and Ethernet Driver to
>> be installed.
>>
>> The ASUS web site shows nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.65
>> for Windows XP(WHQL) as the latest Win XP driver.
>>
>> I don't want to install this without knowing what I already have.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>

>Since your motherboard had bios 1010 installed at the factory, then I
>believe Asus would have had to supply the V6.65 on the Support CD supplied
>with the motherboard.
>
>From the Asus support site:
>
>"A8N-E Bios version 1010 -Please do read the description before updating
>BIOS.
>To avoid crashing file system, please do update the chipset driver to below
>version prior to this Bios.
>For WinXP 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.65 or
>later."

Good thinking. I looked at the CD and found a FileList.txt which
listed the versions for all the drivers. It said that the Chipset
drivers on the CD are version V6.69 for Windows XP(WHQL). So I assume
that's what I installed.

>The latest drivers from Nvidia are here (Win 2000 or XP 32 bit):
>http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html
>
>The driver release number is actually for a collection of individual drivers
>for audio, Ethernet, SATA, SMBus, etc, each with its own release level (see
>link above). You can check the release level of your individual drivers
>already installed using the Hardware Device Manager in Windows.

I looked in Device Manager several times and didn't see anything that
looks like chipset driver. I'd feel much better if I could find it,
to be sure.

Oldtimer

Aug 6, 2006, 7:50:07 PM8/6/06
On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:41:21 GMT, "Frodo" <No_S...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I've been using the A8N-E for about a month.
>Update to the latest bios, version 1013
>http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
>Then download the latest NVIDIA drivers for the Nforce 4 Ultra chipset,
>which is version 6.86
>The software is listed as drivers for "nForce series AMD"
>http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html

Thanks. I already have the 1013 BIOS. But before I used it I wanted
to be sure I had version 6.65 or higher chipset driver.

I found a Filelist.txt on the support CD that said version 6.69
chipset driver was included. I'd like to confirm that before I
proceed.

Thomas Wendell

Aug 7, 2006, 6:48:59 AM8/7/06

"Oldtimer" <Oldt...@home.net> kirjoitti
viestissä:nlucd2lv3n8im7jbf...@4ax.com...
!!!!!!!>>The driver release number is actually for a collection of
individual drivers
!!!!!!!>>for audio, Ethernet, SATA, SMBus, etc, each with its own release
level (see
!!!!!!!>>link above). You can check the release level of your individual
drivers
!!!!!!!>>already installed using the Hardware Device Manager in Windows.

> I looked in Device Manager several times and didn't see anything that
> looks like chipset driver. I'd feel much better if I could find it,
> to be sure.

Well, you won't find the"chipset drivers". As marked by my !!!!!!!s above.
Then compare them with a list (like that Filelsit.txt) either in the chipset
driver package itself or available at nVidia...

Like this (actually your download page)
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html

Lists Windows XP/2000 Driver Versions
Audio Driver (v4.65) "WHQL"
Audio Utility (v4.51)
Ethernet Driver (v50.25) "WHQL"
Network Management Tools (v50.19)
SMBus Driver (v4.57) "WHQL"
Installer (v4.89)
WinXP IDE SataRAID Driver (v6.66) "WHQL"
WinXP IDE SataIDE Driver (v6.66) "WHQL"
WinXP RAIDTOOL Application (v6.63)

--
Tumppi
=================================

Oldtimer

Aug 7, 2006, 2:49:25 PM8/7/06

Thanks for the detail. I think I understand your point. Some of my
confusion is that the Drivers Menu of the CD looks like this, with
each item as a separate choice::

Chipset Driver <---
Audio Driver
Ethernet Driver <---
SMBus Driver <---
(etc.)

I selected the 3 marked "<---".

The Filelist.txt file which lists the contents of the CD shows:

"-Chipset -WINXP -nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.69 for
Windows XP(WHQL)."

Therefore, I would expect to find an entry somewhere with 6.69 shown
as the version of the chipset driver.

I guess another way to approach this is to ask if simply installing
the same choices from the nVidia 6.86 package would be a good idea
before I flash the BIOS with Ver. 1013?? Can these simply be
installed without regard to what's installed now?

Thanks for your patience.