Abit IC7-G and USB device problem ?

1 view

Simon [2700]

Nov 20, 2004, 10:05:23 AM11/20/04
Hello!

I have purchased myself a very nice 'Sennheiser PC155 USB headset' ... about
a week ago, and yesterday for the first time in that time i wanted to
restart my computer due to a new program... i now notice that my computer is
not starting up, and after it has stated the amount of RAM and a partial CPU
name, it freezes !!! it is pretty random how far it gets, but never to
listing harddrives.... this is directly linked to my sennheizer headset,
cause each time i unplug it and restarts, the problem is non existant....
they function fine if i plug them in after the boot sequence, but if
inserted while booting... no actual booting will occour.... now im sitting
here pretty disappointed, and dont know what to do.... anyone have an advice
? or maybe heard of the problem before ? .... the headset seems to be
functioning very well and im very pleased with it, it just dont work
togheter with my PC under boot... the headset as a built in
'soundcard'... im not sure if this is maybe where the problem is as there is
one onboard the motherboard aswell.... btw the CPU information in the bios
is reset aswell, i have to reset my CPU as a 2.4GHz, instead of the found
and stated 1.2 GHz.....

am i the only one thinking this is just a bit weird ??

TIA
.-Simon

TomG

Nov 20, 2004, 10:37:26 AM11/20/04
I wonder if the problem would happen if the headset was plugged into a USB
hub... sometimes, I have seen USB devices malfunction when they are
directly connected to the mobo or, the mobo have an issue with the device
connected directly to the mobo.

a *powered* USB hub can sometimes correct these issues as the device no
longer draws its power directly from the mobo USB port. worth a try...
also, what size power supply do you have in the system?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Simon [2700]" <dev...@linux.org> wrote in message

Dion L Heap

Nov 20, 2004, 11:40:40 AM11/20/04
Something along those lines happens with my external HD, if I keep it
connected and powered I get a 'non system disk' error, I have to remove the
USB cable and 'press any key'

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com

TomG

Nov 20, 2004, 2:09:35 PM11/20/04
in your case, Dion, it almost sounds like the system is attempting to boot
to the USB device!

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Dion L Heap" <NoS...@ThankYou.Com> wrote in message

Dion L Heap

Nov 20, 2004, 2:36:54 PM11/20/04

"TomG" <tgeery-...@cox.net> wrote in message

> in your case, Dion, it almost sounds like the system is attempting to boot
> to the USB device!
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified

Yep, very strange, especially since everything in bios is set to boot from
my raid, it's first boot device and all others are disabled. Maybe the OP's
system is trying to boot from his headphones! ;o)

Simon [2700]

Nov 20, 2004, 2:46:02 PM11/20/04

> Yep, very strange, especially since everything in bios is set to boot from
> my raid, it's first boot device and all others are disabled. Maybe the
OP's
> system is trying to boot from his headphones! ;o)

argh i should get some very strange noices then :) anyways it doesnt get
far enough to do that, just the initial bios boot screen... :/

i will go guy an USB hub, i could use some more ports anyways... thanks
for the advices guys...
-Simon

Simon [2700]

Nov 20, 2004, 2:49:13 PM11/20/04

> a *powered* USB hub can sometimes correct these issues as the device no
> longer draws its power directly from the mobo USB port. worth a try...
> also, what size power supply do you have in the system?

hi ill go buy the HUB just to test it.... anyways its a 300W supply, and
it has been powering 3 more discs than it is currently (2),
so if its a power problem like that those phones aint comming near my head
again ;)

anyways, it has been seen before that the motherboard itself did not get
sufficiant power to power fans, while the rest of the system drawing
directly
from the source had no problems, so even though i havnt had such a problem
myself, i cant be sure its not the problem, hence ill go buy a HUB...
wont harm the system to get 6-7 more ports ....

thx mate
-Simon

TomG

Nov 20, 2004, 10:05:28 PM11/20/04
LOL!

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com

over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Dion L Heap" <NoS...@ThankYou.Com> wrote in message

TomG

Nov 20, 2004, 10:05:51 PM11/20/04
let us know how things work out...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com

over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Simon [2700]" <dev...@linux.org> wrote in message

TomG

Nov 20, 2004, 10:06:44 PM11/20/04
good luck and post back with the results.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Simon [2700]" <dev...@linux.org> wrote in message

Simon [2700]

Nov 21, 2004, 2:32:30 AM11/21/04
> good luck and post back with the results.

will do, might take a few days though..
-Simon