DVD keeps disappearing in Windows ME

bigone

Oct 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/18/00
Please help.
I recently built a system for a friend using a KT7-RAID board. After the
usual tweaks everything works a dream except the DVD occasionally disappears
in Windows ME under "my computer" but is present under device manager.
The only way to correct this is to disconnect the ribbon cable to DVD and
boot up,shut down, restore cable and boot up again and hey presto its back
?? any ideas
System: KT7-Raid Athlon tbird 800
Maxtor ATA100 on IDE3 set to cable select (works great)
LG DVD on IDE1 as master
Hewlett packard CD writer on IDE 2 as master with internal Zip drive on IDE2
as slave.
Soundblaster LIve 1024 on PCI 4
128mb RAM Crucial 133Mhz
External Modem works OK
Voodoo 3 3000 on AGP
SCSI card on ISA slot for scanner works OK.
All bios settings set to Auto for IDE1 /2
Bios has seen both cd rom drives

Windows only ever loses the DVD cd not the CDRW ???

Please help

Phantom

Oct 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/18/00
i have a feeling there is a patch for this on microsofts site.
as i read someone else had same problem with winme.

TomG

Oct 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/18/00

----
Microsoft Windows 98
Q235859 - DMA CD-ROM Drive Icon Does Not Appear in Windows Explorer
----

SYMPTOMS
When you try to view a CD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer that requires Direct
Memory Access (DMA), the drive may not be present, but the drive may be
present in Device Manager. If the DMA settings are disabled in the CD-ROM
properties, the drive may be present after you restart your computer,
although a CD-ROM drive that supports DMA may not retain the DMA setting
after you restart your computer.

CAUSE
This problem can occur because during enumeration of your hardware devices,
a device conflict can occur, and this may cause Configuration Manager to
rebalance the resources of your computer. During this arbitration process,
the Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE) controller input/output (I/O) range
is changed from the boot configuration to a different configuration, but the
primary and secondary controller resources are not changed properly.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, perform a forced configuration of the hard disk
controller:
1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then
double-click System.
2. Click the Device Manager tab, and then double-click the Hard Disk
Controllers branch to expand it.
3. Double-click the listed IDE controller.
4. Click the Resources tab, and then click to clear the Use Automatic
Settings check box.
5. Change the I/O range from the current setting to a different I/O range,
and then click OK. For example, if the setting is currently 1410-141f,
change it to 1060-106f.
6. Close all open Windows, and then restart your computer.

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows 98.
----

"EDC" <easyn...@hotmail.com> 撰寫於郵件
> I don't that's the case. because it was fine with old p2b-f. I just guess
my
> some system devices may not works properly and caused IDE controller works
> abnormally. In fact, I did try to remove everything from system property
and
> let window to dectect once again all the correct driver, but no luck it
> couldn't be solved. :-( I almost jump out my window for that, It
> significantly affects the performance of CD copying.
>

> "TomG" <tgeery-...@goibsmail.com> 撰寫於郵件
> > there are some notes about this problem in the MS Knowledge Base...
> > basically, they say something about the OS disabling the checkbox
because
> it
> > queries the device and determines that the device does not support the
DMA
> > option... I realize that may not be the case with your situation but
"bigone" <1bi...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message

Phantom

Oct 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/19/00
does this post apply to windows me as well.

TomG

Oct 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/19/00
do not know... one could certainly try....

"Phantom" <pha...@redhotant.com> wrote in message

Phantom

Oct 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/19/00
Sorry Tom,
just that post read 'DVD keeps disappearing in Windows ME'.
Thought perhaps this had been tried on me as well.

bigone

Oct 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/19/00
Thanks TomG this fix worked a treat in Windows ME and all now runs smoothly

TomG

Oct 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/19/00
I just posted the suggestion as something to try as it had all the earmarks
of what can happen under 98 as well.

TomG

Oct 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/19/00
I guess we have our answer then... it *does* happen and the fix is good
under ME!

thanks for the feedback as we knew this could work under 98 but weren't sure
under ME...