Monitor problem? Or something else?

Michael Rodgers

Dec 21, 2001, 4:54:15 PM12/21/01

I have a very odd problem with my monitor.

I've no idea what has caused this so sorry about the amount of groups I've
posted to.

Basically, I have a half inch black border each side of my screen in
anything other than Windows @ 1024x768 or above.

Windows 800x600 or below, the Bios, POST, Windows splash screen, any 3d game
at any resolution, are all affected by this problem. It's perfect in
'standard Windows' - ie browsing etc, as long as the resolution is 1024x768
or above.

Imagine watching a widescreen film on a non widescreen TV. Now imagine the
border above and below the screen being to each side - this is what I am
experiencing.

The problem has been apparent ever since I removed my IBM 75GXP Hard Drive
(which was an empty Slave drive) and moved my 60GXP to IDE1.

I have tried the 'recall' and 'degause' option on my monitor, as well as
resizing it for hours on end. No luck.

The monitor is a Hansol 710P, and this is connected to a Hercules 3D Prophet
III Ti500. My motherboard is an Abit KR7A-RAID. I am running Windows 2000
Professional.

What on earth can I do to fix it? I thought of formatting and reinstalling
Win2k - but this won't help as the problem is even present in the BIOS!

Any ideas?
--
Michael Rodgers, Plymouth UK
http://www.network-southeast.co.uk

Michael Rodgers

Dec 21, 2001, 6:24:40 PM12/21/01
"Michael Rodgers" <nseINT...@network-southeast.co.uk> wrote in message

I'll try posting this in the right group this time. uk.c.v removed, uk.c.h
added.

Shep©

Dec 22, 2001, 10:22:42 AM12/22/01

I've never had this problem with my Hansol(same model)but have you
tried their Monitor driver?
Or a quicky.Change the refresh from default or optimal to say 75 or 85
Hz in the display adaptor properties.
http://www.hansol-us.com/drivers/drivers.html
You may have to remove ALL your present monitor drivers if you wish to
install these.
HTH

Graham W

Dec 22, 2001, 7:35:32 AM12/22/01

"Michael Rodgers" <nseINT...@network-southeast.co.uk> wrote in message

You need to increase the width of the displayed image by adjusting
your monitor while it displays the modes affected. Do these one at
a time and if present, choose the 'Save Settings' option on the
on-screen-display (OSD). The symbol for width is often a screen
box with a horizontal double-headed arrow. The one with two boxes
overlapping is the horizontal positioning finction.

HTH
--
Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ DIY Astro Projects, Graphics Tutorial

Michael Rodgers

Dec 22, 2001, 12:26:38 PM12/22/01
"Graham W" <gra...@gcw.org.ukINVALID> wrote in message

> You need to increase the width of the displayed image by adjusting
> your monitor while it displays the modes affected. Do these one at
> a time and if present, choose the 'Save Settings' option on the
> on-screen-display (OSD). The symbol for width is often a screen
> box with a horizontal double-headed arrow. The one with two boxes
> overlapping is the horizontal positioning finction.

I've tried this - it expands to max and still there is a gap either side :(

Michael Rodgers

Dec 22, 2001, 12:30:32 PM12/22/01
"ShepŠ" <sh...@gmx.co.uk> wrote in message

> I've never had this problem with my Hansol(same model)but have you
> tried their Monitor driver?

Yes, I'm using the supplied one.

> Or a quicky.Change the refresh from default or optimal to say 75 or 85

Its set to 100hz and has been for ages :(

> Hz in the display adaptor properties.
> http://www.hansol-us.com/drivers/drivers.html
> You may have to remove ALL your present monitor drivers if you wish to
> install these.

I don't think its driver related - it also effects the BIOS, POST screen
etc...

Shep©

Dec 22, 2001, 2:56:41 PM12/22/01
On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 17:30:32 -0000, "Michael Rodgers"
<nseINT...@network-southeast.co.uk> wrote:

>"ShepŠ" <sh...@gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I've never had this problem with my Hansol(same model)but have you
>> tried their Monitor driver?
>
>Yes, I'm using the supplied one.
>
>> Or a quicky.Change the refresh from default or optimal to say 75 or 85
>
>Its set to 100hz and has been for ages :(

But have you tried a different refresh.I also would suspect that your
display adaptor may faulty or need removing,the edges cleaning
carefully(you can use a rubber erasor)and reseating.

Michael Rodgers

Dec 22, 2001, 3:42:34 PM12/22/01

> >Yes, I'm using the supplied one.
> >
> >> Or a quicky.Change the refresh from default or optimal to say 75 or 85
> >
> >Its set to 100hz and has been for ages :(

> But have you tried a different refresh.

Yes - 85hz or below also induces the problem in 1024x768 - 100hz 1024x768 is
fine.

> I also would suspect that your
> display adaptor may faulty or need removing,the edges cleaning
> carefully(you can use a rubber erasor)and reseating.

Hmm, shouldn't need cleaning, its a 2 week old 3D Prophet III Ti500 :(

I've just tried a spare 15inch on it, and that does not exhibit the fault at
all. How else can I fix this?

Shep©

Dec 22, 2001, 3:51:48 PM12/22/01
On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 20:42:34 -0000, "Michael Rodgers"
<nseINT...@network-southeast.co.uk> wrote:

>"ShepŠ" <sh...@gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >Yes, I'm using the supplied one.

>> >Its set to 100hz and has been for ages :(
>
>> But have you tried a different refresh.
>
>Yes - 85hz or below also induces the problem in 1024x768 - 100hz 1024x768 is
>fine.
>
>> I also would suspect that your
>> display adaptor may faulty or need removing,the edges cleaning
>> carefully(you can use a rubber erasor)and reseating.
>
>Hmm, shouldn't need cleaning, its a 2 week old 3D Prophet III Ti500 :(
>
>I've just tried a spare 15inch on it, and that does not exhibit the fault at
>all. How else can I fix this?

I don't know how good it is but Hansol have a 3 year warranty exchange
system.As they are USA based I don't know what it's like in the
UK.Actually through my own fault my monitor cable is a bit flakey so I
was going to investigate the exchange warranty but then again I can
replace it faster myself.Check the Hansol site for info and if it was
a good dealer they will know about the 3 year warranty on them and
should help you :)

Michael Rodgers

Dec 22, 2001, 4:16:16 PM12/22/01

> I don't know how good it is but Hansol have a 3 year warranty exchange
> system.As they are USA based I don't know what it's like in the
> UK.Actually through my own fault my monitor cable is a bit flakey so I
> was going to investigate the exchange warranty but then again I can
> replace it faster myself.Check the Hansol site for info and if it was
> a good dealer they will know about the 3 year warranty on them and
> should help you :)

Hansol's warranty is excellent, I've used it once before. Courier came 2
days after my call with a new monitor :)

Tim Puffett

Dec 22, 2001, 4:30:59 PM12/22/01
In article <a02r5t$io1dg$1...@ID-43430.news.dfncis.de>, Michael Rodgers
<nseINT...@network-southeast.co.uk> writes
>"Shep©" <sh...@gmx.co.uk> wrote in message

>> >Yes, I'm using the supplied one.

>> >Its set to 100hz and has been for ages :(
>
>> But have you tried a different refresh.
>
>Yes - 85hz or below also induces the problem in 1024x768 - 100hz 1024x768 is
>fine.
>
>> I also would suspect that your
>> display adaptor may faulty or need removing,the edges cleaning
>> carefully(you can use a rubber erasor)and reseating.
>
>Hmm, shouldn't need cleaning, its a 2 week old 3D Prophet III Ti500 :(
>
>I've just tried a spare 15inch on it, and that does not exhibit the fault at
>all. How else can I fix this?

Ring Brands (the Hansol warranty people) sounds like poor psu in
monitor.

--
Tim Puffett

Shep©

Dec 22, 2001, 4:52:36 PM12/22/01

Nice to know.Thanks to both :)

Michael Rodgers

Dec 22, 2001, 5:00:57 PM12/22/01
"Tim Puffett" <t...@storm996.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> >I've just tried a spare 15inch on it, and that does not exhibit the fault
at
> >all. How else can I fix this?
>
> Ring Brands (the Hansol warranty people) sounds like poor psu in
> monitor.

I was fearing this would be the case - not because its a pain to deal with
but because it'll be a bit of a problem getting it sorted as they'll
probably be closed over Christmas :(

Graham W

Dec 23, 2001, 7:41:25 AM12/23/01

> "Graham W" <gra...@gcw.org.ukINVALID> wrote in message
> > You need to increase the width of the displayed image by adjusting
> > your monitor while it displays the modes affected. Do these one at
> > a time and if present, choose the 'Save Settings' option on the
> > on-screen-display (OSD). The symbol for width is often a screen
> > box with a horizontal double-headed arrow. The one with two boxes
> > overlapping is the horizontal positioning finction.
>
> I've tried this - it expands to max and still there is a gap either side
:(

Arghh, then you have a monitor fault, I reckon. Can you, just
temporarily, connect the screen to another computer and see what
the width does on another video card? If there is a substantial
increase then the fault lies with the setup of the 'front/back' porch
values of the video drivers of the video card on the first computer.
(A part of them may provide a property sheet for 'Display Properties'.)

Normally these values are either impossible or very difficult to change
so I'll stick with the monitor fault until you get back with the results.

Larry (The Other Larry)

Dec 24, 2001, 10:21:21 AM12/24/01
Have you removed and re-seated the video cable?

-Larry

Doolittle

Dec 24, 2001, 6:10:59 PM12/24/01
Try, go to properties, Performance, Graphics, slide the "slide" two
the left, reboot and see if this doesnt get rid of trouble

Bingee

Michael Rodgers

Dec 26, 2001, 7:37:53 AM12/26/01
"Michael Rodgers" <nseINT...@network-southeast.co.uk> wrote in message

Fixed now.

How? I got a nice new Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 452 :)

--
Michael Rodgers, Plymouth UK

http://www.network-southeast.co.uk - The NSE Page

Larry (The Other Larry)

Dec 26, 2001, 10:26:36 AM12/26/01
Nothing like jacking up the Windshield Wipers and sliding a new car under
them :)

Congrats!

-Larry

"Michael Rodgers" <nseINT...@network-southeast.co.uk> wrote in message

Michael Rodgers

Dec 26, 2001, 12:52:43 PM12/26/01
"Larry (The Other Larry)" <no...@none.com> wrote in message

> Nothing like jacking up the Windshield Wipers and sliding a new car under
> them :)
>
> Congrats!

Hehe, it was an Xmas pressie :)

Hansol are replacing the 710P on Friday as well :)

gxm

Dec 29, 2001, 7:09:45 AM12/29/01
ShepŠ <sh...@gmx.co.uk> wrote on 22/12/01 15.22

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 21:54:15 -0000, "Michael Rodgers"
> <nseINT...@network-southeast.co.uk> wrote:

>> Basically, I have a half inch black border each side of my screen in
>> anything other than Windows @ 1024x768 or above.
>>
>> Windows 800x600 or below, the Bios, POST, Windows splash screen, any 3d game
>> at any resolution, are all affected by this problem. It's perfect in
>> 'standard Windows' - ie browsing etc, as long as the resolution is 1024x768
>> or above.
>>
>> Imagine watching a widescreen film on a non widescreen TV. Now imagine the
>> border above and below the screen being to each side - this is what I am
>> experiencing.

I have seen this before where you have to resize the screen for one
resolution /refresh, and then it doesn't look right for others.

>> The problem has been apparent ever since I removed my IBM 75GXP Hard Drive
>> (which was an empty Slave drive) and moved my 60GXP to IDE1.

Can't understand why this would have changed it though ..

>> I have tried the 'recall' and 'degause' option on my monitor, as well as
>> resizing it for hours on end. No luck.
>>
>> The monitor is a Hansol 710P, and this is connected to a Hercules 3D Prophet
>> III Ti500. My motherboard is an Abit KR7A-RAID. I am running Windows 2000
>> Professional.
>>
>> What on earth can I do to fix it? I thought of formatting and reinstalling
>> Win2k - but this won't help as the problem is even present in the BIOS!

You might try reinstalling the Video card, set up the geometry for the BIOS
res, and then see what happens when you get into W2K at 1024x768. This can
be a big problem on big monitors as 21" set up to run 1600x1200 trying to
run at 800x600 for games can have nearly 1/2 the screen off the side of the
monitor.

> I've never had this problem with my Hansol(same model)but have you
> tried their Monitor driver?

<snip>

Not sure why this would work, it sounds like the monitor circuitry is
interpreting the signal different. I'm not even sure that it would be
classed as a hardware fault.
--
gxm