Netgear WGT634U USB Flash Disk Problem

Jim Donald

Sep 2, 2005, 11:41:23 PM9/2/05
Does anyone know how to get this router working with a USB flash disk
or USB external hard drive?

Despite following the instructions I can't log into the drive via FTP
even although the router recognises it as an attached device.

Any advice gratefully received.

Jim Donald

Sep 3, 2005, 4:52:37 PM9/3/05

Well - to answer my own question...

After posting last night I was so pissed off with the WGT634U that I
powered everything down and went to bed.

You know what's coming...

When I got up this morning and switched everything back on again...

Hey presto! Problem solved. I was able to FTP into the attached disk
no bother. Since then I have managed to configure a second WGT634U
using the following sequence:

1. Set up the external hard disk using the USB Disk Wizard
2. In 'USB Drive Settings' have the following

a) Hostname = WGT634U
b) Workgroup = workgroup

Click 'Apply'

Check 'Enable FTP' and click 'apply'.

Log out the router...switch off your PC...switch off the router...wait
five minutes.

Power router back on.....wait two minutes, or at least until all the
lights are showing green (i.e. power light, wireless light and any
port lights).

NOW power up your PC...and everything should work okay.

What a pity it doesn't say anything in the manual about switching off
the router...waiting....then switching it back on again. It would have
saved me a lot of time if so.

ALSO - NOT ALL external flash disks and external hard drives work
with the WGT634U. A few I tried didn't work and Netgear has a modest
compatibility list on their web site (the link is too long to quote).
Just type 'WGT634U' in the search box under 'support' and you should
find it okay.

However, I can confirm that the Western Digital 160Gb USB 2.0 external
hard disk drive model #: WDXUL1600BBNU/WD1600B014-RNU works fine with
the WGT634U even although it is not listed on Netgear's site. I have
one of these drives hooked up right now and it's working fine. UK
readers can get one for £77.19 at PC World and I think this is a great
unit - quiet, well-mannered and very stylish to look at. Remember if
you order it online and pay at your local store you get it at the
online price (and save on delivery charges).

Further - the GTECH 19in1 USB 2.0 card reader work okay with compact
flash at least (I have one of those on the second WGT634U) - as does a
very cheapo-looking 'no name' multi-card reader (transparent blue
colour) that I got free from PIXMANIA with a camera. Again only tested
with Crucial compact flash.

Hope all this helps somebody.

Bob

Sep 3, 2005, 10:42:16 PM9/3/05
Jim Donald <Jim.Do...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in

Jim, I've been trying to get this to work for awhile. I have a couple of
questions.

1. In your trial and error, does the workgroup name have to be
"workgroup"? I have changed the one for my network.

2. Have you tried to access the drive from outside your network? I have
been able to access from within the my network, but I would like to be
able to allow access for times when I'm away from home.