fatal: open lock file pid/master.pid: on Mac OS X 10.4.1 (Tiger)

Eberhard Lisse

May 30, 2005, 3:50:58 PM5/30/05

I have installed 10.4.0 on my spanking new iMini and upgraded it to
10.4.1. Then I installed fink for 10.4 and downloaded a bunch of fink
stuff that I used to have on 10.3.9, but not postfix.

On 10.3.9 it works out of the box, but on 10.4 it gives me error
messages such as

May 30 20:01:21 iMini postfix/master[14593]: fatal: open lock file
pid/master.pid: unable to set exclusive lock: Resource temporarily
unavailable
May 30 20:01:22 iMini postfix/master[14594]: fatal: open lock file
pid/master.pid: unable to set exclusive lock: Resource temporarily
unavailable
May 30 20:01:23 iMini postfix/master[14595]: fatal: open lock file
pid/master.pid: unable to set exclusive lock: Resource temporarily
unavailable

Tons of them.

In particular if I start the daemon (manually or at startup) and send
emails.

If I don't I don't get these (when I send emails), unless the master
process is still alive.

I have googled but only found a few blogs (it seems to be peculiar to
BSD) and the participants didn't have a clue, anyway. Neither do I, I
catch babies for a living.

Anyone have an idea what is going on here and what to do about it?

I can circumvent this by making exmh/nmh and T-Bird SMTP to my server,
but I hate to have grief. And I have been running Postfix now for almost
10 years (mainly on many linux flavours) this is the first time I see
something like this.

greetings, el
--
Replace nospam by my above two initials if you want to email me