RichardHeathfield I am going to break your nose

Paul

Nov 28, 2002, 1:21:49 PM11/28/02

Phobos

Nov 28, 2002, 2:32:17 PM11/28/02
Paul,

I think I speak for everyone here when I say FAOD!

Regards

Bob Jacobs

Nov 28, 2002, 4:44:19 PM11/28/02

"Phobos" <laug...@spammers.co.uk> wrote in message

> Paul,
>
> I think I speak for everyone here when I say FAOD!

It could be time to involve the police. The guy can easily be traced.

rjh

Nov 28, 2002, 5:10:24 PM11/28/02
Bob Jacobs wrote:

Let's hope it doesn't come to that. I would much rather Usenet were
self-policing, wouldn't you? By all means complain to his ISP if you want
to, of course, but I don't think that anyone here - at least, not anyone
who still has the brains they were born with - will be even remotely misled
by the rather astonishing outburst we've seen tonight, and I'm not
particularly concerned by his threat of violence either.

That outburst appears to be an attempt to damage my reputation (which is of
course illegal). I am not, however, the slightest bit concerned by it. I
firmly believe that the only person who can (and regularly does!) damage my
reputation is *me*. So I won't be sueing the guy for libel, you'll all be
glad to hear.

But if he /does/ break my nose, I will certainly get him prosecuted for
assault. :-)

--
Richard Heathfield : bin...@eton.powernet.co.uk

Frodo Morris

Nov 28, 2002, 9:41:06 PM11/28/02
rjh wrote:

> That outburst appears to be an attempt to damage my reputation (which is
> of course illegal). I am not, however, the slightest bit concerned by it.
> I firmly believe that the only person who can (and regularly does!) damage
> my reputation is *me*. So I won't be sueing the guy for libel, you'll all
> be glad to hear.

AFAIK a comment can only be considered slanderous/libellous if it attempts
to defame a person by presenting false information as factual - a mere
emotional outburst cannot be considered as illegal. So if Paul cauls you
an incompetent fool he is protected by free speech. If he calls you a
pigfucker you may have grounds.

Anyway, on to my point; if anyone *were* to contact the police (not that
it's relevant in such an issue, IANAL etc.) then I would suggest a
constabulary in the Leeds area.
--
FM
Confuscious say: War never determine who right.

rjh

Nov 29, 2002, 1:05:51 AM11/29/02
Frodo Morris wrote:

> rjh wrote:
>
>> That outburst appears to be an attempt to damage my reputation (which is
>> of course illegal). I am not, however, the slightest bit concerned by it.
>> I firmly believe that the only person who can (and regularly does!)
>> damage my reputation is *me*. So I won't be sueing the guy for libel,
>> you'll all be glad to hear.
>>
> AFAIK a comment can only be considered slanderous/libellous if it attempts
> to defame a person by presenting false information as factual

Well, several of his thread titles did actually do that. Still, since I'm
not planning on suing him, it doesn't really matter, does it?

> - a mere
> emotional outburst cannot be considered as illegal. So if Paul cauls you
> an incompetent fool he is protected by free speech. If he calls you a

> <expletive deleted> you may have grounds.

Indeed. :-)

> Anyway, on to my point; if anyone *were* to contact the police (not that
> it's relevant in such an issue, IANAL etc.) then I would suggest a
> constabulary in the Leeds area.

Quick work.

Frodo Morris

Nov 29, 2002, 4:24:58 AM11/29/02
rjh wrote:

>> - a mere
>> emotional outburst cannot be considered as illegal. So if Paul cauls you
>> an incompetent fool he is protected by free speech. If he calls you a
>> <expletive deleted> you may have grounds.
>
> Indeed. :-)

Sorry :-(, didn't mean to swear.

>> Anyway, on to my point; if anyone *were* to contact the police (not that
>> it's relevant in such an issue, IANAL etc.) then I would suggest a
>> constabulary in the Leeds area.
>
> Quick work.

I can be reasonably efficient :-) Unfortunately a surname has yet to
materialise but that's not too far away - I think I've found our troll
haunting the Leeds United message board. Anonymity always makes people
stick out like sore thumbs :-)

tom_usenet

Nov 29, 2002, 7:40:38 AM11/29/02

Leeds United supporter, eh? That says it all really. :ob

Tom