The bible of C++

AD

Jul 27, 2001, 12:28:33 PM7/27/01
Hey,
no i don't want an Anathema but..
someone knows a title of the very
complete/advanced book of C++

Let's build a top Ten...

--
Bye
Strongale

Jeff Connelly

Jul 27, 2001, 1:27:00 PM7/27/01
"AD" <stron...@supereva.it> wrote in message
news:9js51p$50h$1...@nreadB.inwind.it...

> Hey,
> no i don't want an Anathema but..
> someone knows a title of the very
> complete/advanced book of C++
>
> Let's build a top Ten...

The "bible" in terms of a reference book is Stroustrup's.

Stuart Golodetz

Jul 27, 2001, 2:26:45 PM7/27/01
"AD" <stron...@supereva.it> wrote in message

"The C++ Programming Language" (3rd Edition) by Bjarne Stroustrup

HTH,

Stuart.

Bart van Ingen Schenau

Jul 27, 2001, 3:13:58 PM7/27/01

You might see it as a "bible", but THE "bible" must surely be ISO/IEC
14882:1998 (The C++ standard).

Bart v Ingen Schenau
--
Remove NOSPAM to mail me directly
FAQ for clc: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Jeff Connelly

Jul 27, 2001, 4:47:40 PM7/27/01
"Bart van Ingen Schenau" <bvisN...@universalmail.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:27:00 -0400, "Jeff Connelly"
> <jcon...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >"AD" <stron...@supereva.it> wrote in message
> >> Hey,
> >> no i don't want an Anathema but..
> >> someone knows a title of the very
> >> complete/advanced book of C++
> >>
> >> Let's build a top Ten...
> >
> >The "bible" in terms of a reference book is Stroustrup's.
> >
> You might see it as a "bible", but THE "bible" must surely be ISO/IEC
> 14882:1998 (The C++ standard).

Would you consider that to be a reference book?

Chris Newton

Jul 27, 2001, 8:55:58 PM7/27/01
AD <stron...@supereva.it> wrote...

> Hey,
> no i don't want an Anathema but..
> someone knows a title of the very
> complete/advanced book of C++
>
> Let's build a top Ten...

Well, for the serious C++ developer's bookshelf, I consider the
following pretty much required material.

1. ISO/IEC 14882:1998(E), aka the C++ standard
2. "The C++ Programming Language", Bjarne Stroustrup
3. "The C++ Standard Library", Nicolai Josuttis
4. "Effective C++", Scott Meyers
5. "More Effective C++", Scott Meyers
6. "Exceptional C++", Herb Sutter
7. "Large Scale C++ Software Design", John Lakos
8. "Modern C++ Design", Andrei Alexandrescu
9. "The Design and Evolution of C++", Bjarne Stroustrup
10. "Generic Programming and the STL", Matt Austern
11. "Standard C++ IOStreams and Locales", Langer and Kreft

Also, since OO is such a big part of most C++ programming:

12. "Object Oriented Analysis and Design", Grady Booch
13. "Design Patterns", Gamma et al.
14. "Antipatterns", William Brown

I'd also suggest a decent book or two on each of UML, numerical
analysis, data structures and algorithms, optimisation and software
engineering. There are several good candidates in each field.

Oops, that was a bit more than a "top 10". :-)

HTH,
Chris

Jack Klein

Jul 27, 2001, 9:47:06 PM7/27/01
On Sat, 28 Jul 2001 01:55:58 +0100, "Chris Newton"
<chris...@no.junk.please.btinternet.com> wrote in
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++:

Yes, and even so you left out:

"Accelerated C++", Koenig & Moo.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Robert W Hand

Jul 28, 2001, 5:17:09 AM7/28/01
<snip>

>> >The "bible" in terms of a reference book is Stroustrup's.
>> >
>> You might see it as a "bible", but THE "bible" must surely be ISO/IEC
>> 14882:1998 (The C++ standard).
>
>Would you consider that to be a reference book?

Yes, it is certainly not a primer or tutorial. It is the ultimate
source for reference. With time and patience, it is possible to read
it with understanding.
Best wishes,

Bob

Chris Newton

Jul 28, 2001, 9:30:34 AM7/28/01
Jack Klein <jack...@spamcop.net> wrote...

> Yes, and even so you left out:
>
> "Accelerated C++", Koenig & Moo.

Sorry, but I don't regard that book as essential for the professional
C++ developer's bookshelf. It may be a very good book, for the right
audiences, but I think it's been massively over-hyped.

As a rather more objective measure, you'll notice that I didn't actually
include any books for beginners, aside from those that happen to contain
a tutorial element as part of a more general work. That was deliberate;
obviously tutorials are essential, but I'd hope that by the time someone
was a professional programmer, they were also irrelevant.

Cheers,
Chris

john galt

Jul 28, 2001, 9:42:21 AM7/28/01
I think _C++ FAQS_ by Marshall Cline should be included. Perhaps this
information is available elsewhere but I much prefer printed books. I had a
very good selection of C++ books when I went through my main learning burst,
at least 20 and perhaps 30 books. Some of them good. Still I found things
in the FAQ book that I never encountered elsewhere. I treated it as a text,
that is, I read it. I didn't simply wait for a question and then try to dig
up the answer.

Jeff Connelly

Jul 28, 2001, 11:06:49 AM7/28/01

"Robert W Hand" <rwh...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

But it's not a book either :-) Or maybe I'm wrong?

James Dennett

Jul 28, 2001, 11:13:49 AM7/28/01

It's not a book as such. My printed version is just a pile
of A4 paper bound with some off-the-shelf 10 cent piece of
metal, in spite of its phenomenal cost. No cover, no frills,
just a lot of paper. It's not even well printed. Certainly
you'd have to be very committed to buy the printed version
when it costs around 10 times as much as the PDF, and can't
be searched so easily.

-- James Dennett

Mike Hewson

Jul 29, 2001, 10:42:11 PM7/29/01
"Chris Newton" <chris...@no.junk.please.btinternet.com>
wrote in message news:9jt2lt$r91$1...@uranium.btinternet.com...

Neat list! I've tucked that one away.

--

Cheers.

--
Hewson::Mike
"I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack

Rogmonoth

Aug 14, 2001, 5:11:21 PM8/14/01
where can one download the pdf-version?
thanks

James Dennett

Aug 14, 2001, 7:35:28 PM8/14/01
Rogmonoth wrote:

>>It's not a book as such. My printed version is just a pile
>>of A4 paper bound with some off-the-shelf 10 cent piece of
>>metal, in spite of its phenomenal cost. No cover, no frills,
>>just a lot of paper. It's not even well printed. Certainly
>>you'd have to be very committed to buy the printed version
>>when it costs around 10 times as much as the PDF, and can't
>>be searched so easily.
>>
> where can one download the pdf-version?
> thanks

You can *buy* the PDF version. How to do so is described in
the FAQ for this group and in the FAQ for comp.std.c++.

I'll assume you're abloe to find the FAQs.

-- James.

Mike Wahler

Aug 20, 2001, 1:12:27 AM8/20/01

Rogmonoth <1335...@firga.sun.ac.za> wrote in message
<9lc46h$2ual$1...@news.adamastor.ac.za>...

>where can one download the pdf-version?
>thanks

www.ansi.org

-Mike

R J

Oct 20, 2001, 5:45:04 AM10/20/01
I printed my PDF version up.
I have a lazer printer and it didn't take too long.

It's good for settling arguments and for figuring out the exact meaning of
a particular text if it is unclear.
So, if you are an advanced C++ programmer the official standard is a good
thing to have.
Frankly, it looks and reads a lot like Stroustrup's book.

"Rogmonoth" <1335...@firga.sun.ac.za> wrote in message

James Dennett

Oct 20, 2001, 9:04:47 AM10/20/01
R J wrote:
> "Rogmonoth" <1335...@firga.sun.ac.za> wrote in message
>
>>>It's not a book as such. My printed version is just a pile
>>>of A4 paper bound with some off-the-shelf 10 cent piece of
>>>metal, in spite of its phenomenal cost. No cover, no frills,
>>>just a lot of paper. It's not even well printed. Certainly
>>>you'd have to be very committed to buy the printed version
>>>when it costs around 10 times as much as the PDF, and can't
>>>be searched so easily.
>>>
>>>-- James Dennett
>>>

>>where can one download the pdf-version?

> I printed my PDF version up.

Which is almost certainly an illegal violation of the
license under which the PDF is distributed.

> I have a lazer printer and it didn't take too long.

["Laser" is the word. Lighting amplification by stimulated
emission of radiation. No 'Z' in there!]

> It's good for settling arguments and for figuring out
> the exact meaning of a particular text if it is unclear.

True.

> So, if you are an advanced C++ programmer the official
> standard is a good thing to have.

I would tend to agree. It's not very useful for those
learning, but it's a fairly vital tool if you want to
know the exact rules of the language.

> Frankly, it looks and reads a lot like Stroustrup's book.

I've never heard that idea before! It Stroustrup wrote in
the style of the ISO document, I don't think he would sell
as many copies, even having the role he does in the C++
community. He does have quite a precise style, however,
so I can see similiarities.

-- James Dennett

RJ

Oct 29, 2001, 4:14:08 PM10/29/01

"James Dennett" <jden...@acm.org> wrote in message

> R J wrote:
> > "Rogmonoth" <1335...@firga.sun.ac.za> wrote in message

> >>where can one download the pdf-version?
>
> > I printed my PDF version up.
>
> Which is almost certainly an illegal violation of the
> license under which the PDF is distributed.

Probably, they don't make a version of Adobe acrobate that you can't
print? I find that interesting. You can't cut and paste or edit from the
document but you can print sections of it.
You would think that if they didn't intend for you to print it they would
not have provided the capacity to do it.
I am an inspector. I deal with standards every day. Whether it be ASTM
or ANSI or MIL SPEC or whatever. And I can tell you as long as you pay the
licencing fee to access the document you can print it up. The condition is
that it is not for resale. The purchase of the original document as a PDF
document constitutes a licence for use. My $18 fee paid for my personal use
of that document as an individual, not a company. Which includes printing
it for my own and only for my own, personal use.

There are other licencing arrangements but that is standard policy. Do
you think that ANSI prints every copy of every standard that is in printed
form? If you or your work place prints multiple copies you have to either
purchase a licence to do so, which the organization I work for has, or have
written permission. But the idea that printing up the standard on your own
printer after legaly purchasing it from the ANSI is illegal is funny. And
even if it is illegal it is laughable. The reason people pay to have ANSI
print it up is because it is cheaper for a company to have one document
printed by ANSI than to pay for a corporate licence.

> > I have a lazer printer and it didn't take too long.
> >

> ["Laser" is the word. Lighting amplification by stimulated
> emission of radiation. No 'Z' in there!]

Well, it sounds like a z anyway.

> > It's good for settling arguments and for figuring out
> > the exact meaning of a particular text if it is unclear.
>
> True.
>
> > So, if you are an advanced C++ programmer the official
> > standard is a good thing to have.
>
> I would tend to agree. It's not very useful for those
> learning, but it's a fairly vital tool if you want to
> know the exact rules of the language.
>
> > Frankly, it looks and reads a lot like Stroustrup's book.
>
> I've never heard that idea before!

Really?!
I have. In fact if you set the two together they almost look the same. The
print is similar too. Same dry terse legalize.

> It

I take it that you mean if here right? If is usally spelled with an f you
should check your dictionary on that. If is spelled with an 'f'.

Stroustrup wrote in
> the style of the ISO document, I don't think he would sell
> as many copies, even having the role he does in the C++
> community.

Well, that is an interesting opinion. You don't think that may be the
reason people buy Stroustrup is it's a lot cheaper to by Stroustrup for $50
bucks than the standard for $144 do you? And ANSI is probably glad to get
$18 bucks from private individuals like me who later print the standard on
their own laSer printer rather than get nothing at all because they sure
wouldn't pay $144 for a paper copy from anyone. And if I need it for work
my company can pay for it.

He does have quite a precise style, however,
> so I can see similiarities.

Well, that is mighty kind of you James. I feel flattered by your
condescention.

> -- James Dennett

Cody

Oct 30, 2001, 6:25:11 PM10/30/01
<snip>
<snip James Dennett's hilarious message in which he put someone in their
pompous place!>
lol, great message James (hehe, if the one you replied to was going to be
that much of a smart ass, he definitely deserved that lol)

RJ

Oct 31, 2001, 3:22:12 AM10/31/01
pompous?
Me!?
Whoa, talk about projection.
If there is a newsgroup on the internet where you have a clique of
pontificating pompous airbags its this one. And I am not included in that
clique for sure.
I tried participating in this mess a few years ago and it's still the same
bunch of tired close minded UNIX heads.

Stuart Golodetz

Nov 17, 2001, 6:48:33 PM11/17/01
<snip>

> Probably, they don't make a version of Adobe acrobate that you can't
> print? I find that interesting. You can't cut and paste or edit from the
> document but you can print sections of it.

I don't know if you were joking here, but you most certainly *can* cut and
paste or edit from a PDF, you just need the text selection tool selected...
:-) (Check the toolbar)

HTH,

Stuart.

<snip>

Dan Pixley

Nov 18, 2001, 1:45:39 AM11/18/01
Dear all,

Stuart Golodetz wrote:

> <snip>
>
> > Probably, they don't make a version of Adobe acrobate that you can't
> > print? I find that interesting. You can't cut and paste or edit from the
> > document but you can print sections of it.
>
> I don't know if you were joking here,

Hehe.

Dan