Learning C++: which is best freeware compiler to download?

Non scrivetemi

Aug 9, 2007, 6:11:59 AM8/9/07
Learning C++: which is best freeware compiler to download?

I am teaching myself C++ programing off the tutorials on line at home. I
am reading this newsgroup as I believe it is learners newsgroup. I know
I am going to need a compiler to practise. I have a Vista box and have
downloaded Turbo C# Explorer edition. For Microsoft.NET managed code
programming in Delphi Download Turbo Delphi for Microsoft.NET Explorer
Download (296MB+) English . Is this the best one I should use and the
last question if I burn it to a disco to save my Ram space, can you run
it off the disc? Thank You.

Francis Glassborow

Aug 9, 2007, 7:32:19 AM8/9/07
FOFL. To practice C++ you need a C++ compiler. Neither Delphi nor C#
will be of much use (unless you decide to learn those languages). My
personal choice (because it is relatively easy to use for pure C++
without being confused by innumerable extensions) is G++ coupled with
anyone of several good IDEs (if new to programming try a simple one such
as Quincy, if rather more familiar with development I would look at
jGrasp (which will work with numerous languages as well as with most C++
implementations)

--
Note that robinton.demon.co.uk addresses are no longer valid.

Shadowman

Aug 9, 2007, 10:31:32 AM8/9/07
Non scrivetemi wrote:
> Learning C++: which is best freeware compiler to download?
>
> I am teaching myself C++ programing off the tutorials on line at home. I
> am reading this newsgroup as I believe it is learners newsgroup. I know
> I am going to need a compiler to practise. I have a Vista box and have
> downloaded Turbo C# Explorer edition. For Microsoft.NET managed code
> programming in Delphi Download Turbo Delphi for Microsoft.NET Explorer
> Download (296MB+) English . Is this the best one I should use and the

As has already been mentioned, these aren't C++ compilers. See below
for alternatives.

> last question if I burn it to a disco to save my Ram space, can you run
> it off the disc? Thank You.

Assuming you meant hard-drive space and not ram, this sounds like a bad
idea. It might be possible with some compilers, but it would likely be
more trouble than it's worth. I'd imagine a computer running Vista would
have a hard disk large enough to hold a compiler and perhaps even an IDE.

For Vista you can get Microsoft's free C++ compiler and IDE:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/default.aspx

Or, if you don't want that one there are plenty of others available.
Check out:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/compiler-dependencies.html#faq-38.1

--
SM
rot13 for email

BobR

Aug 9, 2007, 12:01:19 PM8/9/07

Francis Glassborow <francis.g...@btinternet.com> wrote in message...

> Non scrivetemi wrote:
> > Learning C++: which is best freeware compiler to download?
> >
> > I am teaching myself C++ programing off the tutorials on line at home. I
> > am reading this newsgroup as I believe it is learners newsgroup.
[snip]

> FOFL. To practice C++ you need a C++ compiler. Neither Delphi nor C#
> will be of much use (unless you decide to learn those languages). My
> personal choice (because it is relatively easy to use for pure C++
> without being confused by innumerable extensions) is G++ coupled with
> anyone of several good IDEs (if new to programming try a simple one such
> as Quincy, if rather more familiar with development I would look at
> jGrasp (which will work with numerous languages as well as with most C++
> implementations)

Adding to that:

GCC is the GNU Compiler Collection. It has 'gcc' for 'C', and 'g++' for
'C++'.

The easiest way to get GCC(MinGW, the windows port of) up and running is to
download and install the Dev-C++ IDE:

Dev-C++ IDE: http://www.bloodshed.net/

Once installed, fire it up and click 'help', read the tutorial (except the
'C' file used in that example should be 'int main()', not 'void main()').

Once you are comfortable with that, you can point that IDE to other
compiler(s), point other IDEs to the MinGW(GCC) compiler, or just use the
compiler from the command line (set up your 'paths').

There is more documentation than you can shake a tree(stick) at on:
http://www.gnu.org
(be sure you get the docs for the GCC version you end up with).

I'll leave a list of links after my sig this time. May help.
--
Bob R
POVrookie
- -
MinGW (GNU compiler): http://www.mingw.org/
MinGWStudio http://www.parinyasoft.com/
wxWidgets URL: http://www.wxwidgets.org
V IDE & V GUI: http://www.objectcentral.com/
Quincy IDE 2005 URL: http://pipou.net/down/Quincy2005Project.zip
Code::Blocks http://www.codeblocks.org/
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Get "Thinking in C++", 2nd ed. Volume 1&2 by Bruce Eckel
(available for free here. You can buy it in hardcopy too.):
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html
Alf P. Steinbach's "Pointers" document:
http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32cpptut/special/pointers/ch_01.pdf
The Dinkumware site has some very good documentation, try:
http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/.
File format descriptions http://www.wotsit.org/
FAQ http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite

kol

Aug 9, 2007, 1:14:56 PM8/9/07

Denz

Aug 10, 2007, 6:54:42 AM8/10/07

"Non scrivetemi" <nonscr...@pboxmix.winstonsmith.info> wrote in message

Just starting out learning C / C++ as well, and have been using DJGPP -
seems to work fine
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
The full install is under 50MB. But it may be limited to 'dos box' command
line apps- not sure if you can create Windows gui apps.

Ulrich Eckhardt

Aug 10, 2007, 11:30:53 AM8/10/07
Denz wrote:
> Just starting out learning C / C++ as well, and have been using DJGPP -
> seems to work fine
> http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/

djgpp is a compiler for DOS (in fact it's a port of GCC, but I can't tell
when it was last synced). In and of itself, that is nothing bad, but you
have to know that you are compiling for a mostly obsolete operating system
that is only supported by emulation under some Microsoft Windows systems.

Uli

kimiraikkonen

Aug 14, 2007, 5:40:55 AM8/14/07

Dev C++ is pretty good...