Out of System Resources

Dennis Levitt

Jul 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/9/95
I've just installed Delphi, so I guess this qualifies as a "Newbie" question
<g>. When I load Delphi, I get an error message box "Out of System
Resources". I can hit OKAY and just go on. But if I create even the smallest
application (one button on one form with no code), it crashes when I try to
run the app with a GPF looking box which says: Exception. Eout of Resources in
module Delphi.exe. Out of System Resources."

This happens if I load Delphi with NO other apps running. Program Manager/Help
reports system resources at 80% before loading Delphi, with 26MB free. I am
able to load WFW, Visual Basic, 2 VB apps and File Manager and ALT_TAB between
them with no problem. (System resources drop to 40% or so...)

My system is a 486DX2-66, 8MB RAM, AMI BIOS, SCSI, using 386MAX.

Any thoughts? (Read: HELP! <g>)

Dennis

VanillaAce

Jul 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/9/95
Hmmm, your system seems to be sufficent. Try temporarily not using
386max. 386Max is a stable product (much more then QEMM, and I'm sure
I'll hear much debate about that) but none-the-less, try just using himem
and emm386. Maybe Delphi wants a little HMA or something, I don't really
know. Make sure your path is set correctly (added delphi\xxx dirs) and
you have share with /F:4096 /L:40. Other then that, I don't really know.
You may have some 3rd party .386 files (drivers) in your system.ini.
These drivers load but are 'invisable' to taskman. However, you still
have 80% resources (upon booting).
I'll be watching to see what resolves the issue.

Ace

Kirk B. Spadt

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
In article <calstar.9...@primenet.com> cal...@primenet.com (Dennis Levitt) writes:

>I've just installed Delphi, so I guess this qualifies as a "Newbie" question
><g>. When I load Delphi, I get an error message box "Out of System
>Resources". I can hit OKAY and just go on. But if I create even the smallest
>application (one button on one form with no code), it crashes when I try to
>run the app with a GPF looking box which says: Exception. Eout of Resources in
>module Delphi.exe. Out of System Resources."

>Any thoughts? (Read: HELP! <g>)

I've been getting failures initially loading Delphi ever since I installed it
on my 8M 486-50. When I "load new project" or "save project as" any project,
I get a gpf or the system reboots. Borland tech support thought it was a
driver conflict.

By accident, I found that the problem is *completely* eliminated if I enter
Delphi, immediately exit, then reenter Delphi again. Everything runs
perfectly. Apparently, the order of initialization of resources conflicts
with my drivers. Anyway, this solution is workable for me until 1.1 comes out.

Maybe this will solve your problem, too.

-Kirk

Kirk B. Spadt ksp...@keyware.com
Keyware Systems, Inc.
570 Lindsey Drive (610) 964-9530
Radnor, PA 19087 (610) 964-0543 fax

Thomas HIll

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
vanil...@aol.com (VanillaAce) wrote:

>Ace

I do not seem to have the original articale this was in answer to, but
I have gotten the same error when using a TImage component to load an
RLE encoded bitmap file. Delphi apparently does not like compressed
BMP files.,
Programmers constantly attempt to write fool-proof programs while
the universe creates bigger fools.
(So far, the universe is winning.)