Adding HDD: yellow question mark, SMBus controller under Controlpanel>Other

qegs20...@googlemail.com

Oct 18, 2006, 1:36:57 AM10/18/06
Hi all.

I have a faulty XP pro on a HDD so I've considered transferring it over
to this computer as Slave and taking all the vital files//programs I
need before formatting it and reinstalling XP Pro again.

[Please read link for much more information]

A link to the my last thread on this topic without solution (much
details/pics):
http://www.d-a-l.com/help/showthread.php?p=120351#post120351

This is a ECS K7SOM+ version 1.0 motherboard
AMD Duron 1.3Ghz, SiS 740/962L Northbridge and Southbridge
It has a 40GB ATA/100 Maxtor 5400RPM HDD already installed as Master on
it.

I transferred a 80GB ATA/133 Maxtor 7200RPM HDD to this by attaching it
on to the Slave connection on the HDD to IDE split cable. I removed the
sleeve jumper, which makes it Slave for Maxtor harddrives.

When I install it, it boots perfectly but doesn't identify the HDD
although it detects it perfectly.

See the link above for much more info.

I need to know "how can I connect and access this HDD"?

Thats what I'm after essentially before I can format and reinstall XP
on it. So far 8 pro computer technicians have been stumped at what to
do, after trying everything.

Have done two repair reinstalls of XP that were successfull and the
last one was successful although failed to load configuration, as an
"internal setup error" was detected.

Recovery Console, FIXBOOT, CHKDSK /R, Memtest86, Last known Good
Confuguration, System Restore all were unsucessful and it never let me
backup anything either. One blue screen after another, until now, I
only get a blue screen STOP error with REGISTRY_ERROR.

Initially the priblem started as I could not connect to the Internet
without blue screens after I installed the correct, latest Intel LAN
driver.

Anyway, can someone please help me retrieve information from this drive
before I erase it for XP reinstallation?
The computer its taken from is a 2.8Ghz Intel Celeron, MS-6743 socket
478 865G LS mainboard. It was brand new 2 years ago, and its never been
used until now.

Await your replies.

Thanks!

Message has been deleted

Sleepy

Oct 18, 2006, 4:53:12 AM10/18/06

<qegs20...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

try Partition Table Doctor and make sure the jumpers are correctly set - use
Master and Slave settings - *never* cable-select.

beenthere

Oct 18, 2006, 6:15:53 AM10/18/06

<qegs20...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> I have a faulty XP pro on a HDD so I've considered transferring it over
> to this computer as Slave and taking all the vital files//programs I
> need before formatting it and reinstalling XP Pro again.

Haven`t seen you mention that you`ve tried the Maxtor HD tools
to check the drive. ??.

www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

HTH.

qegs20...@googlemail.com

Oct 18, 2006, 7:59:48 PM10/18/06
Many thanks for all replies.

To all: The essentially is:
"why does my system show squares as the name of drive and no info
whatsoever at all in Device Manager, after connection of this Maxtor
80GB HDD and SMBus Controller, yellow question mark appears under the
"other devices" heading, for which it says "no driver installed"???

I am trying to access this harddrive by connecting it as Slave to this
computer from another, so I can save vital files I need before total
format and XP reinstallation.

--------------------------
Joel,

Maxtor HDD jumper settings work as shown in their manual:
http://service.maxtor.com/rightnow/images/maxtor_quantum%20jumpers.htm

You have to remove the sleeve for Slave as I have done.

-------------------------
Joel wrote:
>I don't know if you missed any information or that is the way Maxtor works
or not, but it doesn't sound right. And I can only response base on
what
you say, and this is the general of how Master/Slave setting.

MASTER = it needs to set the jumper to "M" = Master

SLAVE = it needs to set the jumper to "S" = Slave

Or *removing* the jumper_connector doesn't make the drive
become Slave.
Also, most HDs have the letters "M" & "S" somewhere near the JUMPERS

qegs20...@googlemail.com

Oct 18, 2006, 8:05:46 PM10/18/06
Sleepy ,

What exactly to I try in Partition Table Doctor?

--------------------

beenthere,

I tried the Maxtor tool just today, in fact a freind of mine today
tried it for me and all is sound. The HDD is hardly used thats why.

Thanks for any replies :)

pau...@efn.org

Oct 19, 2006, 1:52:09 AM10/19/06

qegs20...@googlemail.com wrote:
> Many thanks for all replies.
>
> To all: The essentially is:
> "why does my system show squares as the name of drive and no info
> whatsoever at all in Device Manager, after connection of this Maxtor
> 80GB HDD and SMBus Controller, yellow question mark appears under the
> "other devices" heading, for which it says "no driver installed"???

This is a motherboard component, you need to find the chipset dirver
for your motherboard to resolve this issue.

The main ones are Intel, and VIA, nVidia (nForce). But there's others,
so you''ll have to download it from the manufacturor of the
motherboard.

> I am trying to access this harddrive by connecting it as Slave to this
> computer from another, so I can save vital files I need before total
> format and XP reinstallation.

The chipset driver will NOT interfere with this one way or the other.
you can ignore and go on if you choose. Unless you can't see the dirve,
which is an unrelated issue.

qegs20...@googlemail.com

Oct 19, 2006, 2:29:10 AM10/19/06
Thanks for replying

pau...@efn.org wrote:
>This is a motherboard component, you need to find the chipset dirver
> for your motherboard to resolve this issue.

Thats what I've known uptil now but this has not been resolved by my
chipset driver. I have all of them.
My motherbboard is chipset SiS. they dont have a SMBus Controller
Driver specifically but the rest they do have, I have already got.

I donwloaded an IDE driver lately and I didn;t know how to install it.
It wasn't showing up when trying to mnaually direct install driver
wizard.

Believe me, I've tried all the basics, so I'm lost.

pau...@efn.org wrote:
> The chipset driver will NOT interfere with this one way or the other.
> you can ignore and go on if you choose. Unless you can't see the dirve,
> which is an unrelated issue.

Yes I am beginning to figure that out now, thank you.

But I still have a problem with the Maxtor HDD not picking up!

Here:
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/510772-when-adding-hdd-smbus-controller.html#post4087406

I hope someone can hit the nail soon.

pau...@efn.org

Oct 20, 2006, 12:23:09 AM10/20/06

qegs20...@googlemail.com wrote:
> Thanks for replying
>
> pau...@efn.org wrote:
> >This is a motherboard component, you need to find the chipset dirver
> > for your motherboard to resolve this issue.
>
> Thats what I've known uptil now but this has not been resolved by my
> chipset driver. I have all of them.
> My motherbboard is chipset SiS. they dont have a SMBus Controller
> Driver specifically but the rest they do have, I have already got.
>
> I donwloaded an IDE driver lately and I didn;t know how to install it.
> It wasn't showing up when trying to mnaually direct install driver
> wizard.

Don't. There's nothing wrong driver wise here. But there could
eventually be if you got the things off dirverguide and actually manage
to intall them. It ain't broke.

> Believe me, I've tried all the basics, so I'm lost.
>
> pau...@efn.org wrote:
> > The chipset driver will NOT interfere with this one way or the other.
> > you can ignore and go on if you choose. Unless you can't see the dirve,
> > which is an unrelated issue.
>
> Yes I am beginning to figure that out now, thank you.
>
> But I still have a problem with the Maxtor HDD not picking up!
>
> Here:
> http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/510772-when-adding-hdd-smbus-controller.html#post4087406
>
> I hope someone can hit the nail soon.

THANK you for that link. Most informative.

It's not happy at ALL if you get garbage in the drive id string. It
means either you've got it cabled wrong, or the drive controller card
is hosed (i mean the actual cicruit board on the drive). Well, or the
cables are bad, but i don't think so. You could be using the WRONG
cables, but that's not the same as using BAD cables. ;)

Simplify the situation.

Try this: disconnect your CD(S). Put drive in MASTER position on the
secondary IDE channel (where your CDs were). You don't have to actually
remove the cds, as long as you can get the hdd connected somehow
(temporarialy) in a manner that does not short the hdd circuit board.

Double check: you have an *80* (not 40) wire ribbon cable, the blue end
is plugged into the motherboard, and the black (not grey, not center)
end is plugged to the drive.

Tripple theck: Red wire facing the power plug, notch facing "up".
*Firmly* seated at both ends. Go ahead and push on the connector a bit.
Don't be superman, but don't feel the need to be over gentle.

If the garbage in the drive id string is replaced with something
intelligable, you're home free.

pau...@efn.org

Oct 20, 2006, 12:31:39 AM10/20/06

One more thing: this is a HARDWARE problem. Do NOT attempt to apply a
software solution to it.