LG DVD drives now have AD-ware built into the firmware

hem...@hotmail.com

Jul 9, 2009, 8:04:16 PM7/9/09
Dont buy LG DVD drives.

They now have AD-Ware built into the firmware. LG drives now come with
a ad ware type program called "bluebird" built into the firmware that
creates a virtual drive that auto installs a burning program to your
PC and directs your browser to the LG webpage. Insidious.
Read about it here at Newegg in the comments.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16827136167

John Doe

Jul 9, 2009, 8:27:27 PM7/9/09
hem...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Dont buy LG DVD drives.
>
> They now have AD-Ware built into the firmware. LG drives now
> come with a ad ware type program called "bluebird" built into
> the firmware that creates a virtual drive that auto installs a
> burning program to your PC and directs your browser to the LG
> webpage. Insidious.

For what it's worth... There appears to be a solution easier than
the fake EXE workaround.

"Other Thoughts: Like a previous reviewer noted, you can disable
the "Bluebirds" adware application by checking the "don't show
again" box when the EULA comes up. Yes, it's annoying that LG
decided to include this app, but it's easily dealt with. It
certainly doesn't affect the functionality of the drive once it
has been disabled."

Mark

Jul 10, 2009, 10:02:15 AM7/10/09

Even if it can be disabled I would not buy one of these.

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Masahito Hasegawa

Jul 10, 2009, 12:07:25 PM7/10/09
hem...@hotmail.com wrote:

This normal for Korea company. Japan company would not do this bad
thing.
Korea company become more chicky lately since they make good sellings.
Japanese company not chicky because respect to customer.

dadiOH

Jul 10, 2009, 2:52:11 PM7/10/09

Can't get over the fact that Korea is no longer Chosen?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH

Jul 10, 2009, 2:53:00 PM7/10/09
Mark wrote:
> On 10 Jul 2009 00:27:27 GMT, John Doe <jd...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
>
>> hem...@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Dont buy LG DVD drives.
>>>
>>> They now have AD-Ware built into the firmware. LG drives now
>>> come with a ad ware type program called "bluebird" built into
>>> the firmware that creates a virtual drive that auto installs a
>>> burning program to your PC and directs your browser to the LG
>>> webpage. Insidious.
>>
>> For what it's worth... There appears to be a solution easier than
>> the fake EXE workaround.
>>
>> "Other Thoughts: Like a previous reviewer noted, you can disable
>> the "Bluebirds" adware application by checking the "don't show
>> again" box when the EULA comes up. Yes, it's annoying that LG
>> decided to include this app, but it's easily dealt with. It
>> certainly doesn't affect the functionality of the drive once it
>> has been disabled."
>
> Even if it can be disabled I would not buy one of these.

I would. In fact, I did. It is quite a nice drive and the price is more
than right.

GMAN

Jul 10, 2009, 6:51:46 PM7/10/09
I always wanted to say this, Domo Arigato!!!

Nil

Jul 10, 2009, 10:09:49 PM7/10/09
On 10 Jul 2009, "Masahito Hasegawa" <mhase...@neostorm.jp> wrote
in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

> Korea company become more chicky lately since they make good
> sellings. Japanese company not chicky because respect to customer.

"Chicky"??

VanguardLH

Jul 11, 2009, 12:34:52 AM7/11/09
hem...@hotmail.com wrote:

Learn to cross-post:

A point not made is that N multi-posted copies will consume N times the
disk space for each of the separate copies of the same post.
Cross-posted messages have just *one* copy on the server with links in
the newsgroups back to the same single copy. Multi-posting wastes disk
space on the server. Yes, your post may be small but remember that you
consume N times the space on one server and then do so again on all the
newsgroups servers worldwide. You waste more bandwidth getting N copies
of your multi-posted message distributed to all the newsgroups servers
worldwide. Cross-posting has just one copy of the message on an NNTP
server, and only one copy gets propagated to other NNTP servers.

To those visiting the newsgroups, cross-posting helps them see ALL the
replies from those in the other RELATED newsgroup to which you linked
your post. That way, they don't waste their time duplicating similar
replies.

Don't cross-post to more groups than needed if at all. Many consider
cross-posting to more than 4 groups as rude and may filter out your
post. The more groups you add, the less likely that they are related,
the less accurate or focused are the targeted groups, or some of the
included groups may already be encompassed by an included parent group.
If they are subgroups under a topic, choose whether you will be specific
or general in the targeted groups to which you post. Usenet-ignorants
that shotgun their posts across multiple groups trying to capture as
large an audience as possible will offend netizens with the poor aim.
Multi-posting instead of cross-posting when shotgunning across multiple
groups evidences you as a newbie, troll, or spammer.

ToolPackinMama

Jul 11, 2009, 11:22:52 AM7/11/09
Mark wrote:
> On 10 Jul 2009 00:27:27 GMT, John Doe <jd...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
>
>> hem...@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Dont buy LG DVD drives.
>>>
>>> They now have AD-Ware built into the firmware. LG drives now
>>> come with a ad ware type program called "bluebird" built into
>>> the firmware that creates a virtual drive that auto installs a
>>> burning program to your PC and directs your browser to the LG
>>> webpage. Insidious.
>> For what it's worth... There appears to be a solution easier than
>> the fake EXE workaround.
>>
>> "Other Thoughts: Like a previous reviewer noted, you can disable
>> the "Bluebirds" adware application by checking the "don't show
>> again" box when the EULA comes up. Yes, it's annoying that LG
>> decided to include this app, but it's easily dealt with. It
>> certainly doesn't affect the functionality of the drive once it
>> has been disabled."
>
> Even if it can be disabled I would not buy one of these.

They are advertising themselves. You already bought the product.

Look, there are hundreds of products like these. Many key drives and
Mp3 players that you buy do this. Microsoft windows and Ubuntu Linux do
something similar. You bought our product: Here's how to get to our web
site. If it's outrageous you are outraged ten years too late.

Mark

Jul 13, 2009, 5:26:52 AM7/13/09

Unless I am seriously misunderstaning the "Blue bird" program it is
nothing like Ubuntu Linux. I am not aware of any part of Ubuntu that
installs adware. None of the MP3 players I have bought have ever
tried to install adware.