Ubuntu! Cool! Playtime!!!

Thip

Mar 13, 2009, 5:22:03 PM3/13/09
I installed Ubuntu via Wubi, played with it for about 2 hours, and WOW! I'm
almost glad I'll have a month or more off from work after the surgery. I'm
downloading the 8.10 .iso now to do a full install, and will settle in and
do some learning while recovering. It's really impressive, and very very
easy for a total novice like me. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants
to get their feet wet in the Linux pool.

»Q«

Mar 13, 2009, 5:55:42 PM3/13/09

If you're going the Ubuntu route, IMO a great page to bookmark is
former ACFer Little Girl's <http://littlegirl.hostrator.com/>.
Actually, it's good for any GNU/Linux user, but she uses Ubuntu. Her
reaction to it was pretty much the same as yours the first time she
tried it. :)

Good luck with Linux, but first very good luck with the surgery and
aftermath. I hope it goes smoothly and with as little pain and
annoyance as possible.

Thip

Mar 13, 2009, 6:29:41 PM3/13/09

"»Q«" <box...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Thanks for the heads-up, and for the good wishes.

Josiah Jenkins

Mar 13, 2009, 7:14:11 PM3/13/09
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:55:42 -0500, »Q« <box...@gmx.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:22:03 -0400
>"Thip" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> I installed Ubuntu via Wubi, played with it for about 2 hours, and
>> WOW! I'm almost glad I'll have a month or more off from work after
>> the surgery. I'm downloading the 8.10 .iso now to do a full install,
>> and will settle in and do some learning while recovering. It's
>> really impressive, and very very easy for a total novice like me. I
>> highly recommend it for anyone who wants to get their feet wet in the
>> Linux pool.
>
>If you're going the Ubuntu route, IMO a great page to bookmark is
>former ACFer Little Girl's <http://littlegirl.hostrator.com/>.
>Actually, it's good for any GNU/Linux user, but she uses Ubuntu. Her
>reaction to it was pretty much the same as yours the first time she
>tried it. :)

Do you know about these three ?

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://ubuntuforums.org/

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/

and the ng, <alt.os.linux.ubuntu>

elaich

Mar 14, 2009, 1:41:22 AM3/14/09

> I highly recommend it for anyone who wants
> to get their feet wet in the Linux pool.

Unless you want a real newsreader, and you need Winamp, and you don't feel
like learning a completely foreign file system in your late 50s. And don't
tell me to use Pan. Pan is shit. slrn is shit. And don't tell me to use
Wine. Xnews is shit in Wine. Winamp is shit in Wine. Linux is shit, until
the old guard passes and some developers come on board who see the need to
develop apps for people who live in the 21st Century.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

s|b

Mar 14, 2009, 8:00:33 AM3/14/09
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:22:03 -0400, Thip wrote:

> I installed Ubuntu via Wubi, played with it for about 2 hours, and WOW! I'm
> almost glad I'll have a month or more off from work after the surgery.

I've used the Live CD/DVD a couple of times and didn't dislike it, but I
wasn't impressed with its incapability to choose the correct resolution
(1440x900; Integrated GeForce 6 GPU (32 MiB)). Perhaps it has to do with
certain limits of the Live CD/DVD, I don't know. I believe GeForce poses
a bit of a problem. (?)

I'm not into dual boot and haven't tried Wubi because I've read several
negative comments about it.

Thip

Mar 14, 2009, 8:32:35 AM3/14/09

"elaich" <x@y.z> wrote in message news:gpfg21$78t$1...@news.albasani.net...

> "Thip" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in news:72013sF...@mid.individual.net:
>
>> I highly recommend it for anyone who wants
>> to get their feet wet in the Linux pool.
>>

>and you don't feel
> like learning a completely foreign file system in your late 50s.

My dad was in his 70's when he got his first computer--a 386. He learned
DOS, he learned W3.1, and then he learned W95. He got on the Internet at 77
and the whole family stayed in touch via e-mail. I don't think it has
anything to do with age--it has to do with how interested and engaged in
life you still are.

Thip

Mar 14, 2009, 8:39:30 AM3/14/09

"s|b" <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote in message news:49bb9c51$1...@news4us.nl...

I tried Wubi once before and couldn't get it to work--don't remember the
exact error message, but it had something to do with my BIOS. This time it
went flawlessly. I'm going to go for a dual boot because Wubi left me with
some limitations, and I was so fascinated with Ubuntu I want to really dive
into it. It's a matter of wanting to know what this Linux stuff is all
about, what I can and can't do, and because--in spite of my "advanced" age
(mid-50's)--I love to learn.

Thip

Mar 14, 2009, 8:42:54 AM3/14/09

"elaich" <x@y.z> wrote in message news:gpfg21$78t$1...@news.albasani.net...

Hey, don't hesitate to speak your mind--just spit it out.

I quit using Winamp back in the W98 days. If I cared which newsreader I
use, I wouldn't be using OE right now. And I WANT to learn "a completely
foreign file system." After all, I learned a completely foreign file system
when DOS came out.

Josiah Jenkins

Mar 14, 2009, 9:43:52 AM3/14/09
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 08:39:30 -0400, "Thip" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

<snipped>

> . . . I was so fascinated with Ubuntu I want to really dive into it.

> It's a matter of wanting to know what this Linux stuff is all about,
> what I can and can't do, and because--in spite of my "advanced"
> age (mid-50's)--I love to learn.

At the even further advanced age of 66, I'd suggest ignoring the
knockers and just go for it !

I played around with Ubuntu a couple of years back for several months.

In the end I went back to Windoze (XP & Vista) mainly due to problems
I encountered with PCMCIA wireless network cards in the old T21 I was
using as a test bed. Nothing wrong with the O/S, it just wasn't what
*I* was looking for (like the IBM OS/2 Warp I tried many years ago)

Even if, after trying it, you decide it's not what you want . . .
what have you lost ?

There's loads of support out there for Ubuntu and there are several
really helpful folk on the ng. <alt.os.linux.ubuntu>

Oh, and to prevent my brain going to mush after my Ubuntu attempts,
I started teaching myself CSS web pages and PHP.

Mark Warner

Mar 14, 2009, 9:54:57 AM3/14/09
Thip wrote:

> I tried Wubi once before and couldn't get it to work--don't remember the
> exact error message, but it had something to do with my BIOS. This time it
> went flawlessly. I'm going to go for a dual boot because Wubi left me with
> some limitations, and I was so fascinated with Ubuntu I want to really dive
> into it. It's a matter of wanting to know what this Linux stuff is all
> about, what I can and can't do, and because--in spite of my "advanced" age
> (mid-50's)--I love to learn.

Now would be a good time to try a few other Live CDs, just to get an
idea of what's out there. Ubuntu is a fine distribution, but you don't
want to limit yourself. Try SimplyMEPIS, PCLinuxOS, and Mint. Heck, give
the new Zenwalk Live a spin while you're at it. All run as Live CDs, and
can be installed with a few clicks if you chose to.

--
Mark Warner
SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

Ari®

Mar 14, 2009, 12:04:18 PM3/14/09
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 05:41:22 +0000 (UTC), elaich wrote:

> And don't
> tell me to use Pan. Pan is shit. slrn is shit. And don't tell me to use
> Wine. Xnews is shit in Wine. Winamp is shit in Wine. Linux is shit, until
> the old guard passes and some developers come on board who see the need to
> develop apps for people who live in the 21st Century.

Shit.

heh
--
A fireside chat with Ari!
http://tr.im/h45T

Ari®

Mar 14, 2009, 12:06:59 PM3/14/09

Hey, that's kewl.

Have you learned to jackoff in the dark with your non-dominant hand?
There's a trick.

Mark Warner

Mar 14, 2009, 12:33:59 PM3/14/09
Thip wrote:

> I quit using Winamp back in the W98 days. If I cared which newsreader I
> use, I wouldn't be using OE right now. And I WANT to learn "a completely
> foreign file system." After all, I learned a completely foreign file system
> when DOS came out.

Good perspective. Too many want/expect a Linux distro to be some kind of
freeware Windows. And it's normal to desire the familiar. The familiar
(at the desktop/application level) can be attained to a certain extent,
but the differences are still there. In my experience, what was foreign
to me initially has turned out to make much more sense, been easier to
use, and has been infinitely more flexible.

Those that condemn Linux because they can't run their favorite Window
programs on it (duh) are missing the boat entirely. Linux != Windows.

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Ari®

Mar 14, 2009, 12:39:39 PM3/14/09
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 12:33:59 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

> Good perspective. Too many want/expect a Linux distro to be some kind of
> freeware Windows. And it's normal to desire the familiar. The familiar
> (at the desktop/application level) can be attained to a certain extent,
> but the differences are still there. In my experience, what was foreign
> to me initially has turned out to make much more sense, been easier to
> use, and has been infinitely more flexible.
>
> Those that condemn Linux because they can't run their favorite Window
> programs on it (duh) are missing the boat entirely. Linux != Windows.

You sure try hard.

For being full of shit and all.

f j camper

Mar 14, 2009, 1:25:59 PM3/14/09
Disclaimer:

The person in the photographs at http://tr.im/h45T is *not*
Franklin J. Camper (alias "Ari").

The person in those photographs is "Kinky" Friedman, a musician,
artist, and writer from Texas.

There are more photographs of "Kinky" on his website at
http://www.kinkyfriedman.com

FYI,

f j camper

Mar 14, 2009, 1:26:03 PM3/14/09

f j camper

Mar 14, 2009, 1:27:49 PM3/14/09

Mark Warner

Mar 14, 2009, 2:38:00 PM3/14/09
Ari® wrote:
> Mark Warner wrote:
>>
>> Good perspective. Too many want/expect a Linux distro to be some kind of
>> freeware Windows. And it's normal to desire the familiar. The familiar
>> (at the desktop/application level) can be attained to a certain extent,
>> but the differences are still there. In my experience, what was foreign
>> to me initially has turned out to make much more sense, been easier to
>> use, and has been infinitely more flexible.
>>
>> Those that condemn Linux because they can't run their favorite Window
>> programs on it (duh) are missing the boat entirely. Linux != Windows.
>
> You sure try hard.
>
> For being full of shit and all.

Being full of shit helps me fit in around here.

Ari®

Mar 14, 2009, 2:41:32 PM3/14/09
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 14:38:00 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

> AriŽ wrote:
>> Mark Warner wrote:
>>>
>>> Good perspective. Too many want/expect a Linux distro to be some kind of
>>> freeware Windows. And it's normal to desire the familiar. The familiar
>>> (at the desktop/application level) can be attained to a certain extent,
>>> but the differences are still there. In my experience, what was foreign
>>> to me initially has turned out to make much more sense, been easier to
>>> use, and has been infinitely more flexible.
>>>
>>> Those that condemn Linux because they can't run their favorite Window
>>> programs on it (duh) are missing the boat entirely. Linux != Windows.
>>
>> You sure try hard.
>>
>> For being full of shit and all.
>
> Being full of shit helps me fit in around here.

lol
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!
http://tr.im/hmTc

John Stubbings

Mar 14, 2009, 3:19:42 PM3/14/09
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 14:38:00 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

> Being full of shit helps me fit in around here.

It's a travesty you're not on the list :)

--
You gotta fight, for your right, to party...
The best of the best in Freeware

blacky

Mar 14, 2009, 4:12:13 PM3/14/09
elaich <x@y.z> wrote in news:gpfg21$78t$1...@news.albasani.net:

> Linux is shit

Hey, just because you're too stupid to learn it, don't mean it's shit.

Bear Bottoms

Mar 14, 2009, 7:43:00 PM3/14/09
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 12:33:59 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

> Thip wrote:
>>
>> I quit using Winamp back in the W98 days. If I cared which newsreader
>> I use, I wouldn't be using OE right now. And I WANT to learn "a
>> completely foreign file system." After all, I learned a completely
>> foreign file system when DOS came out.
>
> Good perspective. Too many want/expect a Linux distro to be some kind of
> freeware Windows. And it's normal to desire the familiar. The familiar
> (at the desktop/application level) can be attained to a certain extent,
> but the differences are still there. In my experience, what was foreign
> to me initially has turned out to make much more sense, been easier to
> use, and has been infinitely more flexible.
>
> Those that condemn Linux because they can't run their favorite Window
> programs on it (duh) are missing the boat entirely. Linux != Windows.
>
> http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Too simplistically put Mark. Yours is more of an insult than an
understanding of peoples desires or needs to run, use or manage existing
data/hardware they already have. For instance, I would like to use
MagicJack while using Ubuntu, but I can't.

BTW...check the headers of this post.

--
Bear Bottoms

Bear Bottoms

Mar 14, 2009, 7:45:12 PM3/14/09
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 14:38:00 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

> Ari® wrote:
>> Mark Warner wrote:
>>>
>>> Good perspective. Too many want/expect a Linux distro to be some kind
>>> of freeware Windows. And it's normal to desire the familiar. The
>>> familiar (at the desktop/application level) can be attained to a
>>> certain extent, but the differences are still there. In my experience,
>>> what was foreign to me initially has turned out to make much more
>>> sense, been easier to use, and has been infinitely more flexible.
>>>
>>> Those that condemn Linux because they can't run their favorite Window
>>> programs on it (duh) are missing the boat entirely. Linux != Windows.
>>
>> You sure try hard.
>>
>> For being full of shit and all.
>
> Being full of shit helps me fit in around here.

Precisely why you are not on the list. Everyone is full of shit. You are
not full of hate...just a large ego. I can't write you up for that.

--
Bear Bottoms

Ari®

Mar 14, 2009, 7:57:31 PM3/14/09
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 23:45:12 GMT, Bear Bottoms wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 14:38:00 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

Bearshit, I hate your fucking guts and I'm not on the list.

John Stubbings

Mar 14, 2009, 8:05:09 PM3/14/09
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 19:57:31 -0400, AriŽ wrote:

> Bearshit, I hate your fucking guts and I'm not on the list.

Haven't you got enough trouble with Bob S gunning for your arse?

Mark Warner

Mar 14, 2009, 9:00:24 PM3/14/09
Bear Bottoms wrote:

> BTW...check the headers of this post.

Cool. Who set it up for you?

Bear Bottoms

Mar 14, 2009, 9:07:47 PM3/14/09
Mark Warner <markwarner195...@att.net> wrote in

> Bear Bottoms wrote:
>>
>> BTW...check the headers of this post.
>
> Cool. Who set it up for you?

Too funny. I've had it for a long time, though I did upgrade a couple of
times. I still can't get wireless to work on my laptop. I also can't use
MagicJack, and a few other hardwares, web services, etc. I like to use.

This is a problem. That you don't find the desire to use such things is
fine...I like to use a lot of things...that Ubuntu can't do.

--
Bear Bottoms-Freeware Researcher Extraordinaire
Freeware website: http://bearware.info

Mark Warner

Mar 14, 2009, 9:45:35 PM3/14/09
Bear Bottoms wrote:

> Too funny. I've had it for a long time, though I did upgrade a couple of
> times.

So you started with Gutsy, and are now running Intrepid, is that right?

Bear Bottoms

Mar 14, 2009, 10:16:16 PM3/14/09

> Bear Bottoms wrote:
>>
>> Too funny. I've had it for a long time, though I did upgrade a couple
>> of times.
>
> So you started with Gutsy, and are now running Intrepid, is that
> right?

No. I started with Feisty Fawn, upgraded to Gutsy skipped Hardy Heron and
now have Intrepid Ibex. Might update to Jaunty Jackalope next month.
Depends.

Ari®

Mar 14, 2009, 10:18:04 PM3/14/09
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 00:05:09 +0000, John Stubbings wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 19:57:31 -0400, AriŽ wrote:
>
>> Bearshit, I hate your fucking guts and I'm not on the list.
>
> Haven't you got enough trouble with Bob S gunning for your arse?

Good point.

Returning to living in a constant state of fear.

John Stubbings

Mar 15, 2009, 6:05:49 AM3/15/09
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 02:16:16 GMT, Bear Bottoms wrote:

> No. I started with Feisty Fawn, upgraded to Gutsy skipped Hardy Heron and
> now have Intrepid Ibex. Might update to Jaunty Jackalope next month.
> Depends.

Move over Warner, Bottom has just kicked your sorry arse. There's a new kid
Linux Guru on the block...

Mark Warner

Mar 15, 2009, 11:12:06 AM3/15/09
John Stubbings wrote:
> Bear Bottoms wrote:
>>
>> No. I started with Feisty Fawn, upgraded to Gutsy skipped Hardy Heron and
>> now have Intrepid Ibex. Might update to Jaunty Jackalope next month.
>> Depends.
>
> Move over Warner, Bottom has just kicked your sorry arse. There's a new kid
> Linux Guru on the block...

Could be. Then again, there's something not right about that time line.
Then there's the upgrade path, what with skipping a release being a
no-no and all.

I hope he's not referring to just running from a never Live CD.

John Stubbings

Mar 15, 2009, 11:34:08 AM3/15/09
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:12:06 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

> John Stubbings wrote:
>> Bear Bottoms wrote:
>>>
>>> No. I started with Feisty Fawn, upgraded to Gutsy skipped Hardy Heron and
>>> now have Intrepid Ibex. Might update to Jaunty Jackalope next month.
>>> Depends.
>>
>> Move over Warner, Bottom has just kicked your sorry arse. There's a new kid
>> Linux Guru on the block...
>
> Could be. Then again, there's something not right about that time line.
> Then there's the upgrade path, what with skipping a release being a
> no-no and all.
>
> I hope he's not referring to just running from a never Live CD.

lol.... He's been fooling you for a long time... Never doubt the
scribbling's of the bottom... He has spoken, and I for one will treat it
with the respect it deserves.

Too funny... this message will time out and incense me

Ari®

Mar 15, 2009, 12:29:09 PM3/15/09
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:05:49 +0000, John Stubbings wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 02:16:16 GMT, Bear Bottoms wrote:
>
>> No. I started with Feisty Fawn, upgraded to Gutsy skipped Hardy Heron and
>> now have Intrepid Ibex. Might update to Jaunty Jackalope next month.
>> Depends.
>
> Move over Warner, Bottom has just kicked your sorry arse. There's a new kid
> Linux Guru on the block...

Aw, swell, an entire operating system, apps, freeware to kick his ass
with.

Life is good.

John Stubbings

Mar 15, 2009, 12:44:26 PM3/15/09
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:29:09 -0400, AriŽ wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:05:49 +0000, John Stubbings wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 02:16:16 GMT, Bear Bottoms wrote:
>>
>>> No. I started with Feisty Fawn, upgraded to Gutsy skipped Hardy Heron and
>>> now have Intrepid Ibex. Might update to Jaunty Jackalope next month.
>>> Depends.
>>
>> Move over Warner, Bottom has just kicked your sorry arse. There's a new kid
>> Linux Guru on the block...
>
> Aw, swell, an entire operating system, apps, freeware to kick his ass
> with.
>
> Life is good.

If he manages to get his wireless card going before the OS times out
there's gonna be hell to pay...

Ari®

Mar 15, 2009, 12:54:25 PM3/15/09
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:44:26 +0000, John Stubbings wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:29:09 -0400, AriŽ wrote:

>>> Move over Warner, Bottom has just kicked your sorry arse. There's a new kid
>>> Linux Guru on the block...
>>
>> Aw, swell, an entire operating system, apps, freeware to kick his ass
>> with.
>>
>> Life is good.
>
> If he manages to get his wireless card going before the OS times out
> there's gonna be hell to pay...

Speaking of Bottoms, disinformation and government influences, I posted
a link that had a IP traceback. It got 20-25 hits.

Nine were from the Washington D.C. area.

Oh my.

John Stubbings

Mar 15, 2009, 1:06:02 PM3/15/09

Time to grow a beard and wear that funny hat...

Ari®

Mar 15, 2009, 1:24:55 PM3/15/09
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:06:02 +0000, John Stubbings wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:54:25 -0400, AriŽ wrote:

>>> If he manages to get his wireless card going before the OS times out
>>> there's gonna be hell to pay...
>>
>> Speaking of Bottoms, disinformation and government influences, I posted
>> a link that had a IP traceback. It got 20-25 hits.
>>
>> Nine were from the Washington D.C. area.
>>
>> Oh my.
>
> Time to grow a beard and wear that funny hat...

I'm way ahead of you, Note new sig. I've morphed.

--
A fireside chat not with Ari!

http://tr.im/holj

John Stubbings

Mar 15, 2009, 1:26:30 PM3/15/09

Gone for the tash and wig eh! That'll keep em guessin'

Ari®

Mar 15, 2009, 1:59:34 PM3/15/09

heh

Bear Bottoms

Mar 15, 2009, 8:05:48 PM3/15/09

> I hope he's not referring to just running from a never Live CD.

No...you hope that I am....but alas I am not.

Dulle Jos

Mar 15, 2009, 8:26:38 PM3/15/09
Bear Bottoms was zeer hard aan het denken :

> Mark Warner <markwarner195...@att.net> wrote in
>
>> I hope he's not referring to just running from a never Live CD.
>>

> No...you hope that I am....but alas I am not.

Been playing with virtual machines?
That way you might even get your wireless to work.
There'll be hell to pay then.

Mark Warner

Mar 15, 2009, 9:57:56 PM3/15/09
Bear Bottoms wrote:

> Mark Warner wrote:
>>
>> I hope he's not referring to just running from a never Live CD.
>
> No...you hope that I am....but alas I am not.

I was only going by your earlier admissions that you'd never actually
installed Ubuntu, just run the Live CD.

So how long have you been running this install?

blacky

Mar 16, 2009, 1:09:13 AM3/16/09
Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote in

> Mark Warner <markwarner195...@att.net> wrote in
>
>> I hope he's not referring to just running from a never Live CD.
>>

> No...you hope that I am....but alas I am not.

LOL. You really are a sad little moron, aren't you?