Installers Hall of Shame (and cool Calendar of Updates site:)

瀏覽次數:9 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Gordon Darling

未讀,
2008年10月23日 下午3:40:412008/10/23
收件者:
From another forum - interesting post

"Chasing links and leads I came across this interesting list and thought
I'd post it here. The first link is easy enough drilling up to the site
calendar which has a nice layout of updates for numerous security
programs of interest and often metioned here and like forums. The second
link is about the "Installers Hall of Shame (Unwanted Add-on)", looks to
get updated and reposted on the site once a month.

Knowing these various 'add-ons' come packaged with some of our most
popular progs will better prepare us for removing them (or as is the
case most of the time, carefully read thru the instal screens before
blindly clicking next, next, next, ok... <g>

Anyways, hope you find it as useful as I.

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?act=calendar

====
<http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?
act=calendar&cal_id=1&code=showevent&event_id=44514>

Below is the current list of dodgy installers, discussed in our forums
and started by one of CoU's MVC, weaselthatbites on Feb 29 2008, 01:53
PM. Google cache is here. Unfortunately, the topic is missing due to
database issue. Please accept our sincere apology.

* Adobe Flash Player - Google Toolbar
* Adobe Reader - eBay Desktop
* AOL Instant Messenger - AOL Toolbar
* Apple’s Software Updater - Safari Browser, QuickTime, iTunes
* Applian FLV Player - Yahoo Toolbar
* AVG 8 - AVG Security Toolbar (Yahoo Search bar)
* BitComet - Google Toolbar
* CCleaner (standard installer) - Yahoo Toolbar <<<Offers Lite version,
without toolbar
* Comodo Firewall Pro - Ask Toolbar (This toolbar is detected as
spyware/adware by several vendors)
* Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 - Google Toolbar and BETA of Moovielive
* Daemon Tools - Search tool and sponsor ad module
* DivX - Yahoo Toolbar
* Free Download Manager - Software Informer bundle
* Glary Utilities - Ask Toolbar
* GoogleTalk - no addon but will change default search setting of IE
* GoogleEarth - Pre checked Google Toolbar installation
* ICQ 6 - ICQ Toolbar
* Iobit advanced one care - Yahoo Toolbar (selecting no will still do
changes on the system)
* IrfanView (Google Toolbar for IE and Google Desktop Search)
* Logitech Setpoint (Logitech Yahoo! Toolbar)
* MP3 WMA Converter - Yahoo Search and Delio Comparsion Shopping Toolbar
* Nero Burning Rom - Ask Toolbar (This toolbar is detected as
spyware/adware by several vendors)
* PC Tools Firewall Plus - Google Toolbar and Threatfire
**RealPlayer - Google Toolbar - Delisted. CoU member Pat reported that
the installer do not have Google toolbar anymore which I (Donna)
confirmed.
* Shockwave Player - Norton Security Scan or Google Toolbar
* Skype - Google Toolbar
* Spyware Doctor - Google Toolbar
* Spyware Terminator - Web security guard, Crawler
* Sun Java RE (online installer) - Google Toolbar
* Sun Java - OpenOffice.org
* Trillian - Ask Toolbar and Weather Channel Desktop
* Veoh media player - Yahoo toolbar, search engine change & search
protection
* Webroot SpySweeper - Ask Toolbar (This toolbar is detected as
spyware/adware by several vendors)
* Winamp - Winamp Toolbar
* Windows Live Installer - Windows Live Toolbar and Sign-in Assistant
* Windows Update - Windows Genuine Advantage Notification - (pre-checked,
not required, should not be high-priority)
* Windows SteadyState - Windows Live Toolbar
* Winzip - RegistryBooster
* xplorer2Lite - Conduit toolbar
* YaHoo! Instant Messenger - YaHoo! toolbar, with ‘YaHoo! Search
Protection’
and homepage change to YaHoo!
* ZoneAlarm - SpyBlocker (Ask Toolbar) (This toolbar is detected as
spyware/adware by several vendors)

===
and from the next day about the AsK toolbar-

UPDATE: Please click "View Comments" to view the scan results by several
malware scanners, if ASK toolbar is on a user system. Note: If ASK is OK
to use like what some users think, then there should be no detection at
all by any malware scanners. If it's false positive.. why ASK and the
below vendors are NOT working to fix the false positive? Each of his own
rating system? Accusing of 'rival' software detects it? I doubt it. The
answer is obvious. The inclusion of toolbar is not to add a protection
but to earn money. If it's 'for protection'... how come the paid edition
of ZA do not have the protection of Spyblocker? Also, it seems
'pre-checked' means with users consent. Are they serious? Many fall into
pre-checked! Many malware scanner will prevent installation of the above
products because it is flag as W32/Adinstaller etc and most of the
recommendation is "disable the antivirus temporarily". That is NOT a
proper suggestion. Why not ask the user to report false positive it is
really false positive? Why suggest to disable antivirus software to
allow installation of known spyware or adware to your preferred malware
scanner?"

Hope the info is of use

Regards
Gordon

Craig

未讀,
2008年10月23日 下午3:51:312008/10/23
收件者:
Gordon Darling wrote:
> From another forum - interesting post
>

> "Chasing links and leads I came across this interesting list and thought
> I'd post it here. The first link is easy enough drilling up to the site
> calendar which has a nice layout of updates for numerous security
> programs of interest and often metioned here and like forums. The second
> link is about the "Installers Hall of Shame (Unwanted Add-on)", looks to
> get updated and reposted on the site once a month..."
>
> http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?act=calendar
>

> ====
> <http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?act=calendar&cal_id=1&code=showevent&event_id=44514>

> Hope the info is of use

Yup. Thx.

-Craig

Susan Bugher

未讀,
2008年10月23日 下午4:38:562008/10/23
收件者:
Gordon Darling wrote:

> <http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?
> act=calendar&cal_id=1&code=showevent&event_id=44514>

Thank you Gordon. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Gordon Darling

未讀,
2008年10月23日 晚上7:11:332008/10/23
收件者:
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:38:56 -0400, Susan Bugher wrote:

> Gordon Darling wrote:
>
>> <http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?
>> act=calendar&cal_id=1&code=showevent&event_id=44514>
>
> Thank you Gordon. :)

The ones to avoid or the ones to be very, very careful of!

Glad you found it useful.
Thanks for all your input to this group.

Regards
Gordon

alvey

未讀,
2008年10月23日 晚上7:13:212008/10/23
收件者:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 01:11:33 +0200 (CEST), Gordon Darling wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:38:56 -0400, Susan Bugher wrote:
>
>> Gordon Darling wrote:
>>
>>> <http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?
>>> act=calendar&cal_id=1&code=showevent&event_id=44514>
>>
>> Thank you Gordon. :)
>
> The ones to avoid or the ones to be very, very careful of!

Yep, good get Darling.

> Glad you found it useful.
> Thanks for all your input to this group.

Seconded.
And to paraphrase; Don't let the morons grind you down.

alvey

The Seabat

未讀,
2008年10月23日 晚上8:18:592008/10/23
收件者:
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 21:40:41 +0200 (CEST), Gordon Darling
<m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>>Hope the info is of use
>>
>>Regards
>>Gordon

WOW! That's a damn fine post, Gordon. Thank you very much!

--
The seabat
Filtering GoogleGroups & Groupies with extreme prejudice!

Richard Steinfeld

未讀,
2008年10月26日 凌晨1:48:482008/10/26
收件者:
Gordon Darling wrote:

Thanks for reposting this, Gordon.
What I still need to know is whether the user has the option to kill the
malware installs during the installation of the main program.

I also want to point out that, in my opinion, both Real Player and Quick
Time are all-time Hall Of Shame installations on any Microsoft system,
and should be avoided at all costs.

Richard

0 則新訊息