What's your favorite (lesser know) freeware?

MystryClassmate

Mar 14, 2004, 3:37:43 PM3/14/04
Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot, Open
Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game, screensaver, utility or
whatever that others may not be aware of.

I have to go with "Screen Saver Control." This is great if you need to start
your screensaver or powerdown your monitor immediately.

Also another small program called "shut down". Just set the timer and your
computer will shut down at that time. great for downloading and defrag.

both can be found at this freeware site under system utilities

http://www.webgrid.co.uk/

Tiger

Mar 14, 2004, 3:59:01 PM3/14/04
mystryc...@aol.com (MystryClassmate) wrote in

http://www.sixy.com/mjbs/dict.html

--
Tiger
[Insert humorous, clever or profound quote here]

Bjorn Simonsen

Mar 14, 2004, 4:03:14 PM3/14/04
MystryClassmate wrote in
<20040314153743...@mb-m10.aol.com>:

>Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot, Open
>Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game, screensaver, utility or
>whatever that others may not be aware of.

Something I wrote back in october,
in <news:gmn0pv8bsksi5uhef...@4ax.com>

##### <begin copy from older post> #####

Ben Cooper wrote in <1OSjb.3$6r2....@news.uswest.net>:

>I like using the 'Annotator' shell extension to keep descriptions of
>everything I download.

My "survival alternative" is InjectURL by Marek Jedlinski from
<http://www.tranglos.com/free/index.html>

When I download a program I usually also save the program web page
that contains a description, often the page I download from (and with
Opera I most often use "Frame - Save as" from the right-click menu).
Then use InjectURL to insert the URL into saved page. Thus I end up
with description page with URL embedded. Makes it easy to see what the
downloaded program is/does - and from where I got it.

Partial copy from: <http://www.tranglos.com/free/injecturl_main.html>

<quote>

InjectURL: Automatically "injects" URL address and last-visited date
into documents downloaded from the Web

This release of the program is frozen, and no longer supported. The
program is useful in its current state, but it is not being developed
and is unlikely to see any more updates.

InjectURL is a simple application designed to do only one task and do
it well: to help you keep a reference to the Web document you have
downloaded to your local computer.

What does it do?
You may find this program helpful if you often download articles from
the Internet (using a Web browser, such as Netscape or MS Internet
Explorer) and sometimes wish to return to online copies of those
documents later, when you may have already deleted or lost the URL
address. The task that InjectURL performs is automatically adding
("injecting") the URLs into HTML and plain-text documents you have
downloaded and saved, using the browser's "Save As..." feature. This
way you can always know where that particular document came from
without having to keep the URLs somewhere else or manually editing
the document.

</quote>

Two minor issues I've experienced with InjectURL:

1) First issue: It does not work in auto-mode with Opera. I solve it
this way: set it to monitor my download directory, copy the URL from
browser after saving the page, then right click the program icon in
task menu and select Inject URL Manually. So if the page was saved
as "somename.htm" and the URL is "http://someplace.com/somename.htm",
when i past the URL in the InjectURL window - it finds and suggests
the saved "somename.htm" page by it self. But sometimes the page name
in the URL does not match the saved file name, if so I simply open the
file dialog in InjectURL and type the first two or three letters of
the saved html file to quickly find it, select it and hit OK. Or - if
you please - name the html page your self when saving, say use same
name as downloaded program name, then copy the url from browser, then
chose Inject URL manually in Inject URL menu, past the URL into
InjectURL window, click browse for file name, type the first
characters of the filename to find it faster, select it, click OK -
OK.

Btw: I try to keep the download directory "tidy", that is simply move
everything to a another "holding" directory from time to time - to
avoid naming conflicts when saving pages and injecting URL. Also
notice that InjectURL can optionally rename the saved file when
Injecting, using the page title as a name, found inside the <TITLE>
</TITLE> tags in the page..

2) Second minor issue: It "crashes" on say 1 out of 25 pages. Probably
since program has not been updates in ages and thus can not
handle/parse some newer kinds of code/scripts. When this happens, the
program hangs during parsing/writing of html file, while html file
grows to several MB very fast - until you shout down the program. Not
a major issue (unless your are low on disk space) since it is always
obvious when this happens (program screen freeze instead of
disappearing after injecting url). What I do: Right click program tab
in taskbar and select close, Windows then pops up the end-it-now
dialog, OK. Delte "mangled" copy of html file and just skip this file
(or add the url to the original saved page "by hand" with text
editor).

##### <end copy from older post> #####

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Bjorn Simonsen

Mar 14, 2004, 4:40:02 PM3/14/04

Lister <http://www.ghisler.com/lister/>, a file viewer. Great for
viewing textual content of html files, as it strips html tags -
leaving only plain text and URLs (can also view raw source). I have
posted about this before, including some tips/ideas on use. This time,
instead of including previous posts here, I'll serve them to you with
the help of Google:

Lister, about/use of:
<http://google.com/groups?as_umsgid=l61iqvgfpgeq3p45f...@4ax.com>
Lister as a source viewer for your browser, to get to text only:
<http://google.com/groups?as_umsgid=kuve405eettik66o5...@4ax.com>
<http://google.com/groups?as_umsgid=j21f40l6kpjskf34c...@4ax.com>

Whiz@hiz.biz Lord Whiz

Mar 14, 2004, 4:41:55 PM3/14/04

"Bjorn Simonsen" <bsus...@hotmail.com> wrote

> Lister <http://www.ghisler.com/lister/>, a file viewer. Great for
> viewing textual content of html files, as it strips html tags -
==================

Right on! I discovered Lister, and am able to call on its service by
entering it in the context menu, by using ContextEdit. Lister will
open *anything* to permit viewing the ascii makeup of such file.
Probably one of my most-appreciated.

Whiz@hiz.biz Lord Whiz

Mar 14, 2004, 4:50:07 PM3/14/04

Another favorite of mine is: Classic Clip

Available freeware from:
http://www.nakka.com/soft/clcl/download/clcl110_eng.zip

This thingie captures screen shots normally; text, graphics, whatever ...
and
keeps them archived in a folder in the ClassicClip main folder. And, not
just
full window pictures, either. You can highlight any text and capture it
with
CTRL-C, and it also will be placed in the archive folder. There are
other freeware programs available, but this one is far and away the simplest
to use.

Steven Burn

Mar 14, 2004, 4:52:02 PM3/14/04
ZipCentral
http://zipcentral.iscool.net

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

MystryClassmate <mystryc...@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]

George Richards

Mar 14, 2004, 4:41:48 PM3/14/04
MystryClassmate wrote:
> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot,
> Open Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game,
> screensaver, utility or whatever that others may not be aware of.

Slick Run
http://bayden.com/SlickRun/

AleJenJes Countdown Timer
http://www.gonebowlin.com/freeware.html

mp3 pack for Windows Media Player
http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=877

Popup Popper
http://bayden.com/Popper/default.asp

Week Scheduler
http://programming.de/index.php?download.php

--
HTH

---

Bjorn Simonsen

Mar 14, 2004, 5:01:08 PM3/14/04
"Lord Whiz" wrote in <Dk45c.7668$SR1.21222@attbi_s04>:

>> Lister <http://www.ghisler.com/lister/>, a file viewer. Great for

>Right on! I discovered Lister, and am able to call on its service by

>entering it in the context menu, by using ContextEdit. Lister will
>open *anything* to permit viewing the ascii makeup of such file.
>Probably one of my most-appreciated.

Ditto. Have used it for years, although not as a standalone though,
but as an integrated part of Total Commander, a shareware filemanager
by same author. It is not that long ago I became aware he offers
Lister as a standalone freeware app as well.

Tiger

Mar 14, 2004, 5:08:13 PM3/14/04

> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like

> Spybot, Open Office, ect but something you use whether it be a
> game, screensaver, utility or whatever that others may not be
> aware of.

http://www.baxbex.com/openexpert.html

badgolferman

Mar 14, 2004, 5:20:39 PM3/14/04

Harvey Van Sickle

Mar 14, 2004, 5:22:45 PM3/14/04
On 14 Mar 2004, MystryClassmate wrote

> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like
> Spybot, Open Office, ect but something you use whether it be a
> game, screensaver, utility or whatever that others may not be
> aware of.

FTP Pie. A simple, not-installed-to-the-registry utility that reads
how much space you've used on your website. (If you specify your MB
allowance, it sets it out in a pie graph.)

http://www.satsignal.net/ -- under "Net Tools>FTPpie.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.

Bjorn Simonsen

Mar 14, 2004, 5:33:40 PM3/14/04

Andale Mono - a very nice mono spaced True Type font.

Andale Mono is the one I use for my Win2k CMD console (aka DOS box),
love it. Also use it for various where I need a mono space font,
say like in Keynote when I need (want:) it there.

Was - but no longer is - distributed by MS I think(?).
Link below should take you to a list of download
locations (sourceforge mirrors):
<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/corefonts/andale32.exe?download>

Another good alternative for the DOS box is

DOSFon - Better fonts for the DOS-Box and editors
<http://www.uwe-sieber.de/dosfon_e.html> by Uwe Sieber

PS:
Installing fonts in Windows is usually straight forward, like
Control Panel -> Fonts -> File, Install New Font.

In WinNT/Win2k (don't know about XP, could be same)
making fonts available for (visible in) the console is not
straight forward. For how-to see:
"Necessary Criteria for Fonts to Be Available in a Command
Window" <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=247815>
(and/or:
<http://blogs.msdn.com/tonyschr/archive/2004/02/03/66552.aspx>

Ben Cooper

Mar 14, 2004, 5:31:54 PM3/14/04
MystryClassmate wrote:
> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with
like Spybot, Open
> Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game,
screensaver, utility
> or whatever that others may not be aware of.

1st Impression (2.5M)-
Only works with Windows 95/98, though.
http://www.gromada.com/1stImpression.html

"1st Impression automatically replaces Windows startup and
shut down logos each time your system restarts.

Features:
20 or more interesting logos included in the package. You
can extend the collection by adding more pictures from
various sources. Almost anything from digital photos,
computer generated pictures, screenshots and logo galleries
to pictures from the Web and News groups can be converted
and displayed as a logo.
Supported formats include JPG, PNG, BMP, GIF, TIF, PCX, TGA,
XPM and more.
Animation effects can make startup screens even more
attractive.
Virtually unlimited number of multi-line messages that can
be displayed during startup or shut down.
Configurable font, text style, foreground and border colors.
Several resize modes that automatically prevent distortions.
Selected pictures can be compressed into a logo gallery to
make it available to other users of 1st Impression.
Logos can be changed automatically or you can do that
manually with Set and Shuffle functions.
Real-time preview of all available logo pictures
Preview of current Windows logos
Full install / uninstall support.
On-line manual included in the package.
It's absolutely FREE. Use it free of charge for your pleasue
or business."

--
Ben Cooper
histo...@hotmail.com

omega

Mar 14, 2004, 6:10:38 PM3/14/04
Bjorn Simonsen <bsus...@hotmail.com>:

> Andale Mono - a very nice mono spaced True Type font.
>
> Andale Mono is the one I use for my Win2k CMD console (aka DOS box),
> love it. Also use it for various where I need a mono space font,
> say like in Keynote when I need (want:) it there.
[...]

I have it installed (maybe from Office), but never really looked at
it until now. The peculiar thing is that it sorta has a variable pitch
look to it.

I also feel inclined to say it reminds me of childhood experiences in
the early 70s -- on a terminal to a main frame. Although in truth I don't
actually have any recall of seeing text in that situation, cannot now
even guess how it looked.... (My interaction with that machine always
pivoted on playing a game with missionaries and hungry cannibals trying
to get across the river in a canoe.)

Speaking of mono spaced fonts, if anyone knows where I can download a
whole pack altogether, I'd appreciate the tip.

--
Karen S.

omega

Mar 14, 2004, 6:35:01 PM3/14/04
Bob Adkins <boba...@charter.net>:

> Just a few I seldom or never hear about on this group, though some of us may
> use them. All are "I File Wonders".
[...]
> *Yankee Clipper III - Clipboard manager and clip organizer.
http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/PL2004DESKTOP.htm#ClipboardExtender

[...]
> *WordWeb - A wonderful thesaurus.
http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/PL2004BUSINESS-HOME.htm#Dictionary

PL2004 winners do not qualify as lesser known - so I get to say that counts
as a bust! ACF regulars are expected to know the list by heart. (Or at least
cheat and do a lookup on the PL2004.chm.) Quiz next Friday, bring the number
2 pencil.

--
Karen S.

Bjorn Simonsen

Mar 14, 2004, 6:58:55 PM3/14/04
omega wrote in <cun95016pn36rt0f9...@4ax.com>:

>Bjorn Simonsen <bsus...@hotmail.com>:
>> Andale Mono - a very nice mono spaced True Type font.
>> Andale Mono is the one I use for my Win2k CMD console (aka DOS box),
>> love it. Also use it for various where I need a mono space font,
>> say like in Keynote when I need (want:) it there.
>[...]
>I have it installed (maybe from Office), but never really looked at
>it until now. The peculiar thing is that it sorta has a variable pitch
>look to it.

If in doubt, you could check with
- so there, now I got to mention that one too!
(yes I know, on the PL, even so - not that often mentioned here:)

(in another parenthesis:Font properties extension, version 2.1
<http://www.microsoft.com/typography/TrueTypeProperty21.mspx>)

>I also feel inclined to say it reminds me of childhood experiences in
>the early 70s -- on a terminal to a main frame. Although in truth I don't
>actually have any recall of seeing text in that situation, cannot now
>even guess how it looked.... (My interaction with that machine always
>pivoted on playing a game with missionaries and hungry cannibals trying
>to get across the river in a canoe.)

When working at the commandline, anything but a mono spaced font is
confusing IMHO. For the same reason, I prefer to read certain
manuals/faqs related to CLI and batch/script examples same way
(thus using Andale in Keynote/TreePad for when collecting such
notes there).

>Speaking of mono spaced fonts, if anyone knows where I can download a
>whole pack altogether, I'd appreciate the tip.

Not me, but I will be watching this space to see if you catch any :)

omega

Mar 14, 2004, 7:18:41 PM3/14/04
Bjorn Simonsen <bsus...@hotmail.com>:

> When working at the commandline, anything but a mono spaced font is
> confusing IMHO. For the same reason, I prefer to read certain
> manuals/faqs related to CLI and batch/script examples same way
> (thus using Andale in Keynote/TreePad for when collecting such
> notes there).

I tend to use mono-spaced a great majority of the time. Log viewing, it's
much more natural. Columnar data. Really, started the habit of that pref
from having spent so much time reading usenet (and mailing lists, in the
old days). My font choices are pretty cliche. For variable, my favorite
is Verdana (or sometimes I use close relatives of it). For fixed, nearly
always Courier New, and it's this one I've thought to give a rest...

--
Karen S.

Keenan P.

Mar 14, 2004, 7:40:16 PM3/14/04
In article <20040314153743...@mb-m10.aol.com>,
mystryc...@aol.com says...
Probably something installed and taken for granted is MailWasher which
enables me to manage my e-mails on the server before I download them.
With all the crap and corruption coming into our inboxes, this app is
required. It's on my page at:
http://manitoulinislandwebdesign.it-mate.co.uk/freeware.html
POKO
--
P. Keenan - Webmaster
Web Page Design

Tiger

Mar 14, 2004, 8:01:33 PM3/14/04
Bob Adkins <boba...@charter.net> wrote in

> *MicroWav - World's smallest and quickest WAV file player. Coded
> in Assembly language. No GUI needed! Great for toggling through a
> large collections of sounds to find just the right one.

url?

Kram

Mar 14, 2004, 8:29:34 PM3/14/04

Ceg

Mar 14, 2004, 9:27:20 PM3/14/04
DCA - archiver and self-extracting archive creator. Tight compression.

REM

Mar 14, 2004, 9:31:21 PM3/14/04

>"Bjorn Simonsen" <bsus...@hotmail.com> wrote

Here is a similar utility that I like: Pure Text

http://stevemiller.net/puretext/

"Have you ever copied some text from a web page, a word document,
help, etc., and wanted to paste it as simple text into another
application without getting all the formatting from the original
source? PureText makes this simple. Just copy/cut whatever you want to
the clipboard, click on the PureText tray icon, and then paste to any
application. Better yet, you can configure a Hot-Key to convert and
paste the text for you. The pasted text will be pure and free from
all formatting.

After running PureText.exe, you will see a "PT" tray icon appear near
the clock on your task bar. To convert the data currently in the
clipboard to pure text, simply click on the tray icon with the left
mouse button.

You can also configure a system-wide Hot-Key to be used to activate
PureText and convert the clipboard contents to pure text. To
configure, right-click on the tray icon and choose "Options" from the
pop-up menu. The default Hot-Key is WINDOWS+V. PureText can also
optionally paste the converted text into the window that currently has
the focus, which allows you to convert and paste in one keystroke."

Unicode support has been added since the last time I checked it.

Clean up some drive space though, the DL is 13k <G>.

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ----------------------
For a quality mail server, try SurgeMail, easy to install,
fast, efficient and reliable. Run a million users on a standard
PC running NT or Unix without running out of power, use the best!
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgemail.htm ----

Anti_Freak_Machine

Mar 14, 2004, 9:34:56 PM3/14/04
MystryClassmate wrote:
> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot, Open
> Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game, screensaver, utility or
> whatever that others may not be aware of.

Not sure how many of these are well known but here goes:

Bulk rename utiltiy
(http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk/Site/Software/BRU_Intro.php)- renames
files/folders.

Grab it (http://www.shemes.com/) grabs binaires from newsgroups.

MP3 trim (http://www.logiccell.com/~mp3trim/) MP3 editor- trims
begining/end space/fades

Smart FTP (http://www.smartftp.com/)- Free FTP client. Simple.

Quick PAR (http://www.quickpar.org.uk/index.htm) rebuilds binaries
downloaded from Newsgroups/

..And finally..for MAME junkies:
clrMAME (http://www.clrmame.com) - manages and fixes thousands of ROMS.

--
SM
Mi enano quiere un asno.

Colonel Blip

Mar 14, 2004, 10:10:10 PM3/14/04
ClassicClip is great. Use it all of the time and it has saved a BUNCH of
retyping or out of the way saving of clips.

"Lord Whiz" <Lord Wh...@Hiz.Biz> wrote in message

--
Colonel Blip
colone...@nospambigfoot.com

Maureen Goldman

Mar 14, 2004, 10:23:15 PM3/14/04

Winkey to make Windows Key shortcuts.

Although not something I use constantly, I like sendbk31.zip to send
Internet Explorer windows to the back by right-clicking the title bar.

dszady

Mar 14, 2004, 11:20:57 PM3/14/04
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:10:38 -0800, omega wrote:

> Bjorn Simonsen <bsus...@hotmail.com>:
[...]

> Speaking of mono spaced fonts, if anyone knows where I can download a
> whole pack altogether, I'd appreciate the tip.

That it code for Clipart isn't it?
--
°¿° Maine SETI@home
http://www.earths-ocular.com/

c_e

Mar 15, 2004, 1:23:10 AM3/15/04

"Anti_Freak_Machine" <us...@someplace.com> wrote in message

> MystryClassmate wrote:
> > Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot,
Open
> > Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game, screensaver,
utility or
> > whatever that others may not be aware of.

Probably of limited interest, but if anyone is interested in experimenting
with sound:

http://hem.passagen.se/rasmuse/Coagula.htm converts bitmaps to wave files

http://www.webcenter.ru/~vsoft/BitmapPlayer.htm so does this

http://hem.passagen.se/rasmuse/Granny.htm granular synthesiser

it's not been updated for quite a few months, but there's a load of free
audio applications/plug-ins here

http://www.databaseaudio.co.uk/index.php

coma

Ulrich Neumann

Mar 15, 2004, 3:58:30 AM3/15/04

MystryClassmate wrote:

> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot, Open
> Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game, screensaver, utility or
> whatever that others may not be aware of.

http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/

Quote from website:
---
Synergy lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between
multiple computers with different operating systems, each with its own
display, without special hardware. It's intended for users with multiple
computers on their desk since each system uses its own monitor(s).

Redirecting the mouse and keyboard is as simple as moving the mouse off
the edge of your screen. Synergy also merges the clipboards of all the
systems into one, allowing cut-and-paste between systems. Furthermore,
it synchronizes screen savers so they all start and stop together and,
if screen locking is enabled, only one screen requires a password to
unlock them all. Learn more about how it works.

Synergy is open source and released under the GNU Public License (GPL).
---

Ulrich

Ulrich Neumann

Mar 15, 2004, 3:59:38 AM3/15/04
MystryClassmate wrote:

> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot, Open
> Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game, screensaver, utility or
> whatever that others may not be aware of.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

A.A. Fussi

Mar 15, 2004, 4:37:33 AM3/15/04
Babya AntiVirus 2004 - http://babyasystem.portal.dk3.com/
Babya bAccounting
and the biggie ......

Babya System 12.1

;) ;)

ms

Mar 15, 2004, 6:21:28 AM3/15/04

It does a very nice job of removing html coding from a file to leave
plain text.

Mike Sa

Mark Carter

Mar 15, 2004, 8:01:32 AM3/15/04
> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot,

http://www.markcarter.me.uk/computing/favourite.html

Chris Dubea

Mar 15, 2004, 9:12:16 AM3/15/04
mystryc...@aol.com (MystryClassmate) wrote in message news:<20040314153743...@mb-m10.aol.com>...

> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot, Open
> Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game, screensaver, utility or
> whatever that others may not be aware of.

"Press the Freakin' Button" is my personal favorite. Have a piece of
software that you use all the time that has a bunch of useless pop up
dialog boxes? Slay them with PTFB. It doesn't work with app's
created with Visual Basic, but everything else I've tried it with work
fine.

Available at http://www.bobos.demon.co.uk/par/PTFB.htm

Chris

Bill Day

Mar 15, 2004, 10:12:28 AM3/15/04
On 14 Mar 2004 20:37:43 GMT, mystryc...@aol.com (MystryClassmate)
wrote:

>Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot, Open
>Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game, screensaver, utility or
>whatever that others may not be aware of.

MouseTool -sadly, version 3.1 is the last free version....it has gone
from free to $75 in its latest incarnation. ..but 3.1 is still wonderful
if you have tendonitis problems. Get it while you can!
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,19480,00.asp
We'd all like to avoid tendonitis, and this can help keep your mouse
buttons from being the culprit. MouseTool decreases your reliance on
mouse buttons by automatically clicking them whenever you pause the
mouse. Desktop items can be dragged and dropped without having to click.
You can set the time delay, and the number of pixels the mouse can drift
without clicking. Left-, right-, and double-clicks can be made on your
keyboard by using hot-keys.

MouseTool knows which window is under the mouse, and can send the click
you want to each window automatically.

It's simple: MouseTool watches as you move the mouse. When you stop, it
clicks.

It's an idea that may take some getting used to, but the program itself
is surprisingly easy to use.

You can have it send left-clicks, right-clicks or double-clicks. Do you
always double-click on the desktop? MouseTool knows what window is under
the mouse, so it can send the right click to the right window.

MouseTool also has a stretch break timer that will remind you to take
breaks.

At first, using MouseTool may feel more awkward than clicking the mouse
directly with your finger -- but it hurts a lot less. And, once you get
used to it, you barely even notice that it is running. Most of the
screen is safe to click on, and once you get used to using it, you drop
very few accidental clicks.

MightyKitten

Mar 15, 2004, 10:40:30 AM3/15/04
Well, maybe I might take this oppertunity to show a little program I wrote
myself...

<Shameless self promotion on>

Name: Phonetic 2004
Vers: 3.0
Auth: Little old me
Site: http://downloads.it-hulp.nl/ithulp_extra_downloads.php
PLic: Freeware
BLic: Freeware
Note: Don't expect the greatest find in your life, but It just might forfill
a need ;-)
Info:
Phonetic is a tool that helps you spell out any name or short phrase. You
enter the name you want to spell out, select a language you want to use and
press the
[Spell-it] button.

if you're into screensavers, check the S.S. butterflies screensaver on the
same site.
(Also freeware)

If you're into wallpapers try http://fotoalbum.it-hulp.nl/

The main site of this all is http://www.it-hulp.nl (If found firefor having
trouble with some of the javascript on the page. I have to rewrite this -
but I'm to lazy at the moment ;-)

<Shameless Self promotion off>

MigthyKitten

MystryClassmate wrote:
> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot,
> Open Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game,
> screensaver, utility or whatever that others may not be aware of.

Rob

Mar 15, 2004, 10:41:48 AM3/15/04
Lord Whiz wrote:
> Another favorite of mine is: Classic Clip
>
> Available freeware from:
> http://www.nakka.com/soft/clcl/download/clcl110_eng.zip
>
> This thingie captures screen shots normally; text, graphics, whatever
> ... and
> keeps them archived in a folder in the ClassicClip main folder. And,
> not just
> full window pictures, either. You can highlight any text and capture
> it with
> CTRL-C, and it also will be placed in the archive folder. There are
> other freeware programs available, but this one is far and away the
> simplest to use.

Who does it compare to Yankee Clipper III listed on www.pricelessware.org ?

Rob

Rob

Mar 15, 2004, 10:53:17 AM3/15/04
MystryClassmate wrote:
> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot,
> Open Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game,
> screensaver, utility or whatever that others may not be aware of.
>
> I have to go with "Screen Saver Control." This is great if you need
> to start your screensaver or powerdown your monitor immediately.
>
> Also another small program called "shut down". Just set the timer and
> your computer will shut down at that time. great for downloading and
> defrag.
>
> both can be found at this freeware site under system utilities
>
> http://www.webgrid.co.uk/

Wordtabs a great Notepad replacement. It also does RTF. It supports tabs,
files of unlimited length and a spell checker. See the recent thread in
this newsgroup.

I prefer Wordtabs over Editpad Classic or Lite.

Rob

Roger Johansson

Mar 15, 2004, 11:21:10 AM3/15/04
Ulrich Neumann <tech...@gmx.net> wrote:

> http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/
>
> Quote from website:
> ---
> Synergy lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between
> multiple computers with different operating systems, each with its own
> display, without special hardware. It's intended for users with multiple
> computers on their desk since each system uses its own monitor(s).

No special hardware?

You forgot to explain that you need a local network where all these
computers are connected.

This program should rather be described as a remote control system for
local networks.

--
Roger J. (No Emails)

Ulrich Neumann

Mar 15, 2004, 11:44:32 AM3/15/04
Roger Johansson wrote:

> > ---
> > Synergy lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between
> > multiple computers with different operating systems, each with its own
> > display, without special hardware. It's intended for users with multiple
> > computers on their desk since each system uses its own monitor(s).
>
> No special hardware?
>
> You forgot to explain that you need a local network where all these
> computers are connected.
>
> This program should rather be described as a remote control system for
> local networks.

I think they are referring to KVM switches as being "special hardware".
But what about suggesting this to the authors of Synergy? I just quoted
the text from their website.

Ulrich

John Corliss

Mar 15, 2004, 12:00:56 PM3/15/04
MystryClassmate wrote:

> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot, Open
> Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game, screensaver, utility or
> whatever that others may not be aware of.
>
> I have to go with "Screen Saver Control." This is great if you need to start
> your screensaver or powerdown your monitor immediately.
>
> Also another small program called "shut down". Just set the timer and your
> computer will shut down at that time. great for downloading and defrag.
>
> both can be found at this freeware site under system utilities
>
> http://www.webgrid.co.uk/

I just noticed and started using this one from the FWT Newsletter this
morning:

http://www.ptpart.co.uk/quickmix/

It solves an old problem I'd been having with my mixer settings
changing every time I reboot. On reboot, this program automatically
(and invisibly) restores the mixer settings to a saved configuration.
Very nice.

--
Regards from John Corliss
No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware,

Grant Abraham

Mar 15, 2004, 12:16:22 PM3/15/04
"Rob" <noe...@pse.com> wrote in message

> Wordtabs a great Notepad replacement. It also does RTF. It supports tabs,
> files of unlimited length and a spell checker. See the recent thread in
> this newsgroup.
>
> I prefer Wordtabs over Editpad Classic or Lite.

You didn't mention a website, and when I Google'd for it on Google Groups, I
found out why:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=active&threadm=92o5u5%24fba%241%40enterprise.cistron.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dwordtabs%2Bo
fficial%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26safe%3Dactive%26selm%3D92o
5u5%2524fba%25241%2540enterprise.cistron.net%26rnum%3D1

That links to a thread about it once being in Pricelessware, and someone had
been hosting a copy of v3.30 on their site at Crosswinds (which use to be a good
free host back then).

I was able to download a copy of EditTabs v3.29 from Pricelessware's 2002 text
editor page (http://www.pricelessware.org/2002/pricelesswaretext.htm), but the
update to v3.30 is broken. Does anyone have the 3.29-3.30 update or the full
3.30 download available somewhere?

--
Grant Abraham
Contributor to Freebies - http://www.freebies.tk

omega

Mar 15, 2004, 12:20:58 PM3/15/04
mystryc...@aol.com (MystryClassmate):

> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot, Open
> Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game, screensaver, utility or
> whatever that others may not be aware of.

DLTypes.

Cat it as a file association editor... Personally, my frequent habit is to
use my registry editor, having not found any of the file association editors
giving me everything how I wanted. Yet, I have been impressed by several
interesting features offered by this one.

DLTypes
File Types Manager
http://dlsoftware.pair.com

Description from the developer:

: DLTypes offers a quick, simple, and safe way to manage, catalogue,
: and monitor the numerous registered file types in Windows. It should
: prove to be indispensable for system maintenance and troubleshooting
: for the advanced home user, and informative and educational for the
: novice.
:
: DLTypes retrieves all registered file types from the Windows registry
: and presents them along with the number of files, file sizes, and
: invalid entries for each extension and file type. This information is
: presented in an easily accessed window for selection either by file
: extension, file types, or unregistered files.
:
: Included is a fast search function to find files based on their
: extension or file type. After the files are found, many functions are
: available to make testing the associated actions easy.
:
: After the selection has been made, modifying the default icon and
: associated actions as well as adding or removing file extensions and
: correcting invalid entries can be easily done.
:
: Zip backup is available for file types.
:
: Print functions are available for all file types and their associations.
:
: Icons can be located or built easily by using the scan function. After
: the scan, create a favorite icon list by browsing and selecting the
: icons.
:
: To keep things safe, DLTypes automatically backs up Registry entries
: when deleting extensions or changing values and tracks changes made to
: registry.
:

PROs

Lots of functionality. Including its special consideratons for icon fans.
And it really stands out in its scope for backing up (to .reg) -- and
tracking changes.

CONs

[A] Interface weaknesses. 1. You have to be patient while getting used
to the weird little places to access commands. 2. The windows are the
old block win95 type situation -- and with no decent resizing. The product
is a payware-turned-freeware. Wishlist would be that the developer went
a step further and released his source for someone to rework the interface
aspect.

[B} It's a big, fat thing - with lots of OCXs. OCXs means a lot of entangled
entry into the HKCR section of the registry. Often I'll bypass programs
that are built with such controls, especially if it's a lot of them. But
I found DLTypes so good in functionality, to make exception.

--
Karen S.

John Corliss

Mar 15, 2004, 12:45:04 PM3/15/04
A.A. Fussi wrote:

(removed)

Please stop using sock puppets. That's the act of a troll.

Rob

Mar 15, 2004, 12:47:18 PM3/15/04

Try http://www.mailandfiles.com/users/omega/wt330upd.zip

If you want to get rid of the annoying pop up message and restore all the
features in Wordtabs, you should also grab riched20.dll ver 2. Get it here:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?riched20

Do NOT replace richedxx.dll in your c:/windows or c::windows/system
directories..
Put the riched20.dll v2 ONLY into the Wordtabs directory.

Rob

Rob

Mar 15, 2004, 12:58:12 PM3/15/04
MystryClassmate wrote:
> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot,
> Open Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game,
> screensaver, utility or whatever that others may not be aware of.
>
> I have to go with "Screen Saver Control." This is great if you need
> to start your screensaver or powerdown your monitor immediately.
>
> Also another small program called "shut down". Just set the timer and
> your computer will shut down at that time. great for downloading and
> defrag.
>
> both can be found at this freeware site under system utilities
>
> http://www.webgrid.co.uk/

Here is another one -- Adobe Acrobat eBook Reader v 2.2 released on Oct 25,
2001.

Adobe Acrobat eBook Reader displays BOTH PDF and ebook files. It will even
read aloud the PDF or eBook files. Very slick interface and easy to use.
But I do not know whether it suffers from the same security flaws reported
for Acrobat Reader v5.x and earlier.

It is a pity that it is no longer available on Adobe's website. Adobe has
replaced it with Acrobat Reader v6. Now talk about bloatware!

Rob

MightyKitten

Mar 15, 2004, 1:17:58 PM3/15/04
And here is a link http://www.tucows.com/preview/269393.html
(One of the positive sides of a company who only acts if someone pays up ;-)

Susan Bugher

Mar 15, 2004, 1:29:37 PM3/15/04

Susan Bugher

Mar 15, 2004, 1:37:32 PM3/15/04
MightyKitten wrote:

> Rob wrote:

>>Here is another one -- Adobe Acrobat eBook Reader v 2.2 released on
>>Oct 25, 2001.

That's better than the link I had - thanks - I'll revise the P_Info page.

Al Smith

Mar 15, 2004, 2:13:32 PM3/15/04
Launchmate by Tom Ressler. It keeps my Windows98 SE desktop free
of icons.

Grant Abraham

Mar 15, 2004, 2:20:54 PM3/15/04

> Try http://www.mailandfiles.com/users/omega/wt330upd.zip
>
> If you want to get rid of the annoying pop up message and restore all the
> features in Wordtabs, you should also grab riched20.dll ver 2. Get it here:
>
> http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?riched20
>
> Do NOT replace richedxx.dll in your c:/windows or c::windows/system
> directories..
> Put the riched20.dll v2 ONLY into the Wordtabs directory.

Great, thanks!

Tiger

Mar 15, 2004, 4:12:21 PM3/15/04
"Rob" <noe...@pse.com> wrote in

Tried both...imo, no comparison. YCIII is far better. YMMV.

--
Tiger
[Insert humorous, clever or profound quote here]

JoeA

Mar 15, 2004, 4:53:01 PM3/15/04
MystryClassmate wrote:
> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot, Open
> Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game, screensaver, utility or
> whatever that others may not be aware of.

I have two.
1. For people who use Internet Explorer only, a Handy Internet Explorer
Context Menu Extension thingy.
No more copy / pasting of URLs from web pages !
1. Select any text on the page (doesn't need to be a link)
2. Right click with the mouse
3. Choose "Open Selected URL" from the context menu
4. A new window will popup with the new url loaded !
Almost impossible to find, but the author JohnC has a temporary site
> http://www.browsertool.com/downloads/

2.OpTool-for people who are using one browser most of the time, but when
a page does not render correctly you want to open the same page quickly
in your back-up browser.
> http://www.kreacom.dk/tools/optool/

Iain Cheyne

Mar 15, 2004, 5:09:02 PM3/15/04
mystryc...@aol.com (MystryClassmate) wrote in

> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot,
> Open Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game,
> screensaver, utility or whatever that others may not be aware of.

Tagscanner (http://xdev.narod.ru/tagscan_e.htm)

Best MP3 tag editor I have tried, and I've tried many. Way better than
the ones at Pricelessware.org.

Features
# Music files renaming by TAG info
# Supports MP3, OGG and MPEGplus files
# Support for ID3 Tag version 1.0 / 1.1 / 2.3 / 2.4
# Support for ID3v2 Lyrics and Attached pictures
# Supports ID3v2 compressed tags
# Supports OGG-info tags
# TAG generation by folder/filename
# TAG version conversions
# TAG generation from internet database (freedb)
# TAG case conversions
# Built-in player
# Worksheets technology
# Works with subfolders
# Advanced TAG editor with batch features
# More than 140 Genres + ability to write your own styles
# Powerful Playlists editor
# Write extended playlists like Winamp or Sonique
# Playlists export to HTML, Excel and CSV(e.g. for MySQL)

--
Iain Cheyne
Please check www.pricelessware.org, the FAQ and Google Groups before

Ben Cooper

Mar 15, 2004, 6:10:43 PM3/15/04

JoeA wrote:
> MystryClassmate wrote:
>> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with
like Spybot, Open
>> Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game,
screensaver, utility
>> or whatever that others may not be aware of.

[snip]

> 2.OpTool-for people who are using one browser most of the
time, but when
> a page does not render correctly you want to open the same
page quickly
> in your back-up browser.
>> http://www.kreacom.dk/tools/optool/

OpTool is a nice one to have around. Thanks!

--
Ben Cooper
histo...@hotmail.com

Sue Doo Nym

Mar 15, 2004, 7:46:41 PM3/15/04
In article <sKq5c.1045$Bg.951@fed1read03>, histo...@hotmail.com the
amazing Ben Cooper says...

My favourites are:

The original freeware version of Easy Explorer from Piquest. You can have
up to five windows open at the same time for dragging and dropping.

Ultimate zip a German zipping program that is equal to Winzip.

Total uninstaller. A program that monitors installations and uninstalls
them. A bit like what used to be on Norton's Cleansweep before they
removed it. Great for people who like to try different programs out.

Regprot. Lets you know when there are any changes to the registry and you
have the option of letting it be done or not.

Pop up Killer. The best and most controllable popup killer there is.
Works with all browsers and is now open source.

--
He said, "It is finished." Not, "I am finished."

dszady

Mar 15, 2004, 8:55:26 PM3/15/04
On 14 Mar 2004 20:37:43 GMT, MystryClassmate wrote:

> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot, Open
> Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game, screensaver, utility or
> whatever that others may not be aware of.

One of my favorites on Win98:
bumper_notask [28k]
http://www.stereopsis.com/bumper/
It acts like the Back and Forward buttons on IE by just touching the edges
of the screen.
It's great to watch someone who doesn't know it's on there. :)

--
°¿° Maine SETI@home
Site of the Week

Daniel Solomon

Mar 15, 2004, 10:58:35 PM3/15/04

> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot,

> Open Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game,
> screensaver, utility or whatever that others may not be aware of.

Rainlendar.

It is a desktop calendar program. A transparent background calendar is
displayed on your desktop, and there is no task bar or tray icon. It is
always there, making it really easy when you want to look up a date
without having to open some sort of PIM application. You can also save
events on particular dates, and the date will be highlighted. You can't
include time info, except within the text description, but it works for
simple reminders.

--
Dan Solomon

George Richards

Mar 15, 2004, 11:22:33 PM3/15/04
http://vapaa.dc.inet.fi/~rainy/Rainlendar.html
--
HTH

---

Le Loup

Mar 16, 2004, 2:28:27 AM3/16/04
MystryClassmate avait énoncé :

> Don't name a freeware that most of us are familiar with like Spybot, Open
> Office, ect but something you use whether it be a game, screensaver, utility
> or whatever that others may not be aware of.

One of the best e-mail client (well... imho) : Pimmy
(www.geminisoft.com)

A pop-up killer (or Window killer, works with all softwares, not only
IE or navigators) : NoAds (www.southbaypc.com/NoAds)

A tool that allows me to merge PDF files (or to split one PDF file into
parts) : mbtPDFAsm
(http://thierry.schmit.free.fr/dev/mbtPdfAsm/enMbtPdfAsm2.html)

A nice & simple & little database tool : CSVdb
(http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/t2t/text2table.htm)

A very good system information, diagnostics and benchmarking program :
Aida32 (www.aida32.hu)

A really efficient PIM : Digita Organiser
(www.digita.com/taxcentral/home/taxorganiser/default.asp)

--
Cordialement,
Hervé LOTH

LE LOUP THEATRE
2, rue Flatters 80000 AMIENS (F)
http://lelouptheatre.free.fr
nouveau spectacle : http://lelouptheatre.free.fr/TERMOR

Rob

Mar 16, 2004, 7:44:43 AM3/16/04
Le Loup wrote:
> MystryClassmate avait énoncé :

> A tool that allows me to merge PDF files (or to split one PDF file
> into parts) : mbtPDFAsm
> (http://thierry.schmit.free.fr/dev/mbtPdfAsm/enMbtPdfAsm2.html)

Thanks. This looks great! It works on both Windows and Linux!

> A nice & simple & little database tool : CSVdb
> (http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/t2t/text2table.htm)

I agree. This is a great little gem.

> A really efficient PIM : Digita Organiser
> (www.digita.com/taxcentral/home/taxorganiser/default.asp)

Too bad this program is geared to the US taxpayer...

Rob

Bjorn Simonsen

Mar 16, 2004, 10:06:59 AM3/16/04

Alldone.zip (60 KB)

From: <http://www.comcen.com.au/~scottford/>
<quote>
AllDone is a great little program which eases the worry about
whether you should reboot after installing (or uninstalling)
software. It checks various Windows entries to see if your PC
needs rebooting to complete the procedure.
Just unzip the file into the folder it will be running from (it
does not run a setup). After you've installed or uninstalled any
software just run AllDone & you will be given 3 choices - reboot
now, reboot later, or no reboot required.
</quote>

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

MystryClassmate

Mar 16, 2004, 1:41:42 PM3/16/04
I've been trying to post back to this NG to no avail.

|3iff //ullins

Mar 17, 2004, 6:32:35 PM3/17/04
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:37:33 GMT, "A.A. Fussi"
<postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>Babya

if it says 'babya', keep it off your system.

you've been warned...

--
"wo sind die landers Schwestern?"
-david letterman

|3iff //ullins

Mar 17, 2004, 6:33:35 PM3/17/04
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:45:04 -0800, John Corliss
<jcor...@secrewspam.to#> wrote:

>A.A. Fussi wrote:
>
>(removed)
>
>Please stop using sock puppets. That's the act of a troll.

as is your act of complaining about everything.

maybe you should reconsider 'retirement'...

--
Disclaimer: This is your brain: "*"
This is your brain on USENET: "."

John Corliss

Mar 18, 2004, 8:43:56 AM3/18/04
|3iff //ullins wrote:

> John Corliss wrote:
>> A.A. Fussi wrote:
>>
>>(removed)
>>
>> Please stop using sock puppets. That's the act of a troll.
>
> as is your act of complaining about everything.
> maybe you should reconsider 'retirement'...

What's the matter, did I hurt your trollish sentiments punk? SSTAS.