"Super" converter - any warnings?

Harvey Van Sickle

Feb 6, 2006, 3:10:01 AM2/6/06
I did a search of posts here to find a "real-to-wav" converter ---
a recurring topic -- and have downloaded the installer
"supersetup.exe" which somebody mentioned last September.

Before I install it, though, does anyone know if it's got any
nasties hiding in it, or does it appear to be clean freeware?

--
Cheers, Harvey
To e-mail me, change harvey.news to harvey.van

jm...@webace.com.au

Feb 6, 2006, 3:23:20 AM2/6/06
3 steps Harvey.

1: Put the file into Google & research the links.
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=supersetup.exe&btnG=Search&meta=

2; If nothing nasty found, install.

3: Run all your spyfile programs.

Harvey Van Sickle

Feb 6, 2006, 3:36:21 AM2/6/06
On 06 Feb 2006, wrote

Umm...yes, I did the Google bit. (Not new to this game.)

Having seen nothing ill there, it looked OK; but I was wondering
if anyone in acf had -- personally -- encountered anything
untowards with it.

Ta' for the Google advice, though........

George

Feb 6, 2006, 1:12:02 PM2/6/06
I presume you are referring to the SUPER downloaded from this site:

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

I found no malware after installing it.

I noticed that it did not read a few video codecs that I have
installed.

For some reason, I often get a Java error message even when I don't
have a web browser open. Once I cancel these error messages, it seems
to work OK with the exception noted above.

Demetris

Feb 6, 2006, 1:39:34 PM2/6/06
Harvey Van Sickle wrote:
> Before I install it, though, does anyone know if it's got any
> nasties hiding in it, or does it appear to be clean freeware?

Last working version I tried was 1.811 back in October, and it did
something I did not like: it put 5 *hidden* files in
%systemroot%\system32: cygwin1.dll, cygz.dll, AVSredirect.dll,
smab.dll, x.264.exe. Its uninstallation routine did not remove them.

Even when I removed these files, or moved them to the program's
directory, they were recreated in system32 upon running the program.

I cannot understand why these five files have to be hidden, and I also
suspect they could break a working Cygwin installation. For this reason,
I don't like SUPER and don't recommend it. Apart from that, I find it is
an efficient and very easy-to-use conversion suite.

(I also tried the first 2006 version on two machines, and it would not
start on any of them. The log of the current 2006 version says this has
been fixed.)

Greetings,
Demetris

Harvey Van Sickle

Feb 6, 2006, 2:53:08 PM2/6/06
On 06 Feb 2006, George wrote

Thanks; I'll keep an eye out for that.

Harvey Van Sickle

Feb 6, 2006, 2:54:54 PM2/6/06
On 06 Feb 2006, Demetris wrote

Thanks for that -- I'll probably install it and check out the
hidden files. (Like you, I'm not entirely happy about that --
something to keep an eye on, for sure.)