RSS Freeware - Which One(s) Do You Like Best ?

BobS

Aug 19, 2005, 6:10:46 PM8/19/05
RSS has been around for awhile and have "kinda" been ignoring it since some
of the early aggregators were a bit daunting and loaded with bugs. At
present I'm using the free version of Awasu ( http://www.awasu.com/ ) and it
works very well but has a few clunky issues. So I went looking for other
readers and there are quite a few freebies out there with all of them
touting their virtues and glorious features to no end.

You can get some feel for how good or bad the program/applet is by reading
their support forum (if available) or searching thru a lot of ng's. But
this ng is like a connoisseur when it comes to knowing what works and what
doesn't and usually the "why" also.

So, without trying to start a battle of any kind, I'd like to hear about the
RSS app you're presently using and what point or two made you settle on it
besides it being free.

I'm running WinXP both Pro and Home versions on five systems here in the
office and like the ability to synchronize between at least my laptop and
main workstation via it's built-in synchronizing capability. And if it
matters, I'm mainly looking at technical articles (communications
hardware/software and local/national/international news).

As always, I appreciate your time and effort in responding.

Bob S.

PS - John, I know you've been back for awhile, good to see things are going
better for you and "Welcome Back".

Kittie Spit

Aug 20, 2005, 4:01:40 PM8/20/05
I'm pretty new to RSS, but have used wTicker for a while now. I esp
like RSS readers that can do scrolling- ticker-like across the screen.
Some don't like wTicker, see comments at fileforum, for example.
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/wTicker/1067685034/1

homepage:
http://www.wticker.org/

BobS

Aug 20, 2005, 4:05:51 PM8/20/05
Thank you - I'll take a look.

Bob S.

"Kittie Spit" <Whip...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Tritoneur

Aug 20, 2005, 5:30:18 PM8/20/05

I am using GreatNews at the moment. Seems to be light and fast with good
features including display options.

http://www.curiostudio.com/

sabresonic

Aug 20, 2005, 5:39:08 PM8/20/05
"BobS" <sp...@spam.com> wrote in

Currently i'm using "RSS Bandit" (after dumping Awasu)

http://www.rssbandit.org/

visit: www.miklataklitim.com

Message has been deleted

Kittie Spit

Aug 21, 2005, 4:33:31 PM8/21/05
Dan,

Thanks! I'd forgotten that about Maxthon. I love Maxthon & am fairly
new to RSS. Another nice feature about Maxthon & RSS is that it
auto-recognizes sites with RSS feeds and so notifies you with a little
popup window.

BobS

Aug 21, 2005, 11:42:38 PM8/21/05
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try plus the other one mentioned
below.

Bob S.

"sabresonic" <sabreson...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

BobS

Aug 21, 2005, 11:43:02 PM8/21/05
Thanks - we'll give it a try.

Bob S.

"DAN" <d...@no.spam.thanks> wrote in message

> BobS wrote:
>
>>So, without trying to start a battle of any kind, I'd like to hear about
>>the
>>RSS app you're presently using and what point or two made you settle on it
>>besides it being free.
>

> Maxthon (which is primarily a tabbed browser) includes RSS now.
> And generally is a great app.

ArjanDotOrg

Aug 23, 2005, 4:12:22 AM8/23/05
"BobS" <sp...@spam.com> wrote in

> RSS has been around for awhile and have "kinda" been ignoring it since

SharpReader

Overview:

SharpReader is an RSS/Atom Aggregator for Windows, created by Luke
Hutteman. Prior to running SharpReader, you will need to install the .NET
Framework, version 1.1. If you do not currently have the .NET Framework
installed, you can get it at windowsupdate. Features: Handles all RSS
versions, ATOM, modules like dublin core, content:encoding, xhtml:body,
etc. Advanced threading support allowing you to view connected items
together in a threaded fashion. SharpReader detects and shows connections
between items if they have same link, if one item links to another, if
two items both link to the same external webpage, or if an item has
comments (for feeds supporting the standard). Group subscribed feeds into
custom categories. Feed settings like refresh-rate and purge timeout can
be set per feed or per category. Category-wide settings apply to all
feeds in that category that are still set to "Default" for the setting in
question. Dialog-less way of subscribing to new feeds - just drag a link
from your browser into SharpReader, or enter the url into the address-bar
at the top. Feedster integration to easily search weblogs and newssites
for specific terms, and even subscribe to such a search to be notified of
new results. Support for proxy-servers and proxy authentication. Reduces
bandwidth by using HTTP Conditional GETs and gzip/deflate encoding.
Minimizes to the system-tray. Systray popup when new items arrive (can be
disabled on a per-feed or per-category basis through the properties
pane). Easy keyboard navigation to go the next or previous unread item.
Import and export your subscriptions using OPML. Filter items.
International Character-set support. HTTP Authentication support.

Homepage: http://www.sharpreader.net/

For related software, check out: http://www.arjan.org/?Internet:RSS-
Feed_Readers

Kind regards,

--
Arjan

E-mail: inf...@SPAMarjan.org (remove NOSPAM)
Homepage: Arjan.org's Absolute Freeware Links (http://www.arjan.org)

[L.]

Aug 23, 2005, 5:38:28 AM8/23/05
Greatnews
www.curiostudio.com

I'd prefer Sage for firefox if Firefox had tabbed sidebars
http://sage.mozdev.org/

L.

BobS

Aug 23, 2005, 8:57:16 AM8/23/05
Thank you - I'll give it a try. Appreciate the time and effort you took.

Bob S.

"ArjanDotOrg" <inf...@SPAMarjan.org> wrote in message

BobS

Aug 23, 2005, 8:58:40 AM8/23/05