Ocr software

Richard

Nov 26, 2007, 1:01:53 AM11/26/07
is there any excellent freeware ocr application ?

TIA
Rich

Ragnar

Nov 26, 2007, 4:12:12 AM11/26/07

SimpleOCR works for me. I don't know if it's 'excellent' because I haven't
tried the others to compare them.

HTH
R.

lisz...@aliceadsl.fr

Nov 26, 2007, 5:03:42 AM11/26/07

Docmorph, online tool, excellent. Others freewares often crash or have
poor results... Buy a scanner i guess it's bundelt with an OCR...i
tried many posted here, no joy;
And linux has no good OCR at all, but they don't care ! they
developped excellent everything, -but OCR. Maybe it's because they
only read man pages. When they have finish too read the Mutt manual,
the postfix and the Xemacs manual, there is no time left for real
books.

wasbit

Nov 26, 2007, 7:09:58 AM11/26/07

Krazee Brenda

Nov 26, 2007, 9:37:31 AM11/26/07
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 02:03:42 -0800 (PST), lisz...@aliceadsl.fr wrote:

> And linux has no good OCR at all, but they don't care ! they
> developped excellent everything, -but OCR. Maybe it's because they
> only read man pages.

Until that Linux animal sees women as his equal

KillPenguinWare

Richard

Nov 26, 2007, 9:49:29 AM11/26/07
wasbit wrote:

Thanks for the list... will check them out.
Richard

Richard

Nov 26, 2007, 9:52:52 AM11/26/07
lisz...@aliceadsl.fr wrote:

> And linux has no good OCR at all, but they don't care ! they
> developped excellent everything, -but OCR. Maybe it's because they
> only read man pages. When they have finish too read the Mutt manual,
> the postfix and the Xemacs manual, there is no time left for real
> books.

Well, since I use Linux, and it is very good, but lacking in a few areas,
like: OCR application, and a Common Development Environment (RAD),
hence, force to run two OS's, and yes, there allot of reading.

Richard

T0M

Dec 1, 2007, 10:14:35 AM12/1/07
Richard a écrit:

>>Thanks for the list... will check them out.
>>Richard

If it's possible, would you tell us the one you've finally choosen and
why.

thank you in advance,

T0M

PCPaul

Dec 1, 2007, 10:21:29 AM12/1/07

Tesseract is coming along well for Linux OCR, by the look of it. The
engine is very good, but the point-and-drool is lagging behind...

Have a look at the Linux Journal review of it here:

<http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9676>

Nicetameetya

Dec 1, 2007, 2:54:15 PM12/1/07
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 01:01:53 -0500, Richard
<cms'nospam'00...@gmail.com> magnanimously proffered:

>is there any excellent freeware ocr application ?
>
>TIA
>Rich

I use ABBYY FineReader 4 (which was recommended here in the past). I
use it in preference to the licensed payware I used to use (OmniPage
Pro 11), because the user interface is so easy and the results are
faster and more accurate than OmniPage.

My copy of ABBYY FineReader may be out of date by now, but it still
works beautifully with both my scanner and imported files.

Larry Sabo

Dec 1, 2007, 5:44:23 PM12/1/07
Nicetameetya <gd...@anonymous.invalid.con> wrote:

Seconded. I looked to find where I got it and the freeware download
URL but couldn't find it, so didn't mention it earlier. It really is
excellent--super-fast and extremely accurate.

Larry

Nicetameetya

Dec 1, 2007, 6:10:39 PM12/1/07
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 17:44:23 -0500, Larry Sabo
<larry...@hotmail.com> magnanimously proffered:

http://www.abbyy.com/

Looks like they don't offer a freeware version anymore and the
licensed version is US$249.00!!!. So I guess we lucked out. The
upgrade is to version 9, but I'm happy with v4x.

Susan Bugher

Dec 1, 2007, 6:15:17 PM12/1/07
Larry Sabo wrote:
> Nicetameetya <gd...@anonymous.invalid.con> wrote:

>>My copy of ABBYY FineReader may be out of date by now, but it still
>>works beautifully with both my scanner and imported files.

> Seconded. I looked to find where I got it and the freeware download
> URL but couldn't find it, so didn't mention it earlier. It really is
> excellent--super-fast and extremely accurate.

Program: FineReader
Company: ABBYY Software
Ware: (Registerware: keyed) (free) (v 4.0) older version of $ware;
language choice during setup
http://www.ilsoftware.it/articoli.asp?ID=2904
FR_4.0_Pro.zip

Alas, that limited time offer ended on "31 Agosto 2006" as you will see
if you visit the web page.

I did a *quick* scout just now - hoping some other site was offering it
but no joy. :(

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Nicetameetya

Dec 1, 2007, 6:31:47 PM12/1/07
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 18:15:17 -0500, Susan Bugher <sebu...@yahoo.com>
magnanimously proffered:

>Larry Sabo wrote:
>> Nicetameetya <gd...@anonymous.invalid.con> wrote:
>
>>>My copy of ABBYY FineReader may be out of date by now, but it still
>>>works beautifully with both my scanner and imported files.
>
>> Seconded. I looked to find where I got it and the freeware download
>> URL but couldn't find it, so didn't mention it earlier. It really is
>> excellent--super-fast and extremely accurate.
>
>Program: FineReader
>Company: ABBYY Software
>Ware: (Registerware: keyed) (free) (v 4.0) older version of $ware;
>language choice during setup
>http://www.ilsoftware.it/articoli.asp?ID=2904
>FR_4.0_Pro.zip
>
>Alas, that limited time offer ended on "31 Agosto 2006" as you will see
>if you visit the web page.
>
>I did a *quick* scout just now - hoping some other site was offering it
>but no joy. :(
>
>Susan

A question for you, Susan (and others).

I probably have the original installation files (I throw nothing away,
as my HD and garage attest). If I were to publish the files to my
website would that be legal?

Or, alternatively, could I attach to an email to the OP?

Susan Bugher

Dec 1, 2007, 7:03:06 PM12/1/07
Nicetameetya wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 18:15:17 -0500, Susan Bugher <sebu...@yahoo.com>
> magnanimously proffered:

>>Program: FineReader

>>Company: ABBYY Software
>>Ware: (Registerware: keyed) (free) (v 4.0) older version of $ware;
>>language choice during setup
>>http://www.ilsoftware.it/articoli.asp?ID=2904
>>FR_4.0_Pro.zip
>>
>>Alas, that limited time offer ended on "31 Agosto 2006" as you will see
>>if you visit the web page.
>>
>>I did a *quick* scout just now - hoping some other site was offering it
>>but no joy. :(

> A question for you, Susan (and others).

> I probably have the original installation files (I throw nothing away,
> as my HD and garage attest). If I were to publish the files to my
> website would that be legal?
>
> Or, alternatively, could I attach to an email to the OP?

IMO some download sites would already be offering/archiving the app if
re-distribution was permitted. ISTM another good indicator is the
requirement for a license key.

Check the EULA to be sure but I very much doubt re-distribution is
allowed without specific written permission and/or a contract.

Nicetameetya

Dec 1, 2007, 7:31:40 PM12/1/07
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 19:03:06 -0500, Susan Bugher <sebu...@yahoo.com>
magnanimously proffered:

Thanks, Susan. I've found the file (zipped = 56megs).

I'm not sure, but it may have required a license key (my version is
licensed to me). If so, then my files wouldn't be of any use to the
OP.

I'll try installing it on my laptop and report back.

Larry Sabo

Dec 1, 2007, 7:55:00 PM12/1/07
Susan Bugher <sebu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>IMO some download sites would already be offering/archiving the app if
>re-distribution was permitted. ISTM another good indicator is the
>requirement for a license key.
>
>Check the EULA to be sure but I very much doubt re-distribution is
>allowed without specific written permission and/or a contract.
>
>Susan

I can't find the EULA in the program nor the Program Files folder,
but I expect you're right. A shame. The link on the download page is
dead, as you mentioned, and I can't find another download site. Also
can't find the downloaded file! Might have to scour my old drive
images, in case I need it again some day. :/

Cheers,
Larry

Nicetameetya

Dec 1, 2007, 10:59:23 PM12/1/07
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 19:55:00 -0500, Larry Sabo
<larry...@hotmail.com> magnanimously proffered:

>Susan Bugher <sebu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Well ... I found the installation files, tried them on my laptop and
found that a key was required. Fortunately, I'd saved the key file. So
... if you ever need a copy, let me know (I'll email your hotmail
address so you'll have my e-addy.

Larry Sabo

Dec 2, 2007, 9:30:10 AM12/2/07
Nicetameetya <gd...@anonymous.invalid.con> wrote:

>>I can't find the EULA in the program nor the Program Files folder,
>>but I expect you're right. A shame. The link on the download page is
>>dead, as you mentioned, and I can't find another download site. Also
>>can't find the downloaded file! Might have to scour my old drive
>>images, in case I need it again some day. :/
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Larry
>
>Well ... I found the installation files, tried them on my laptop and
>found that a key was required. Fortunately, I'd saved the key file. So
>... if you ever need a copy, let me know (I'll email your hotmail
>address so you'll have my e-addy.

Thanks kindly. Got the e-mail and replied.

Larry

Ron May

Dec 2, 2007, 8:19:08 PM12/2/07

The EULA doesn't permit that:

<QUOTE>
3.5 You may not redistribute the SOFTWARE. Under redistribution of the
SOFTWARE we mean giving access to the third parties to the SOFTWARE
components copied by any company, by network and other ways, or sold,
rent or leased.
</QUOTE>

It does permit making a copy for backup purposes only:

<QUOTE>
3.2 You may make one backup copy to retain as your SOFTWARE Master
Backup Copy for use only should the original be lost or damaged. The
backup copy may not be used for any other purpose.
</QUOTE>

If you have to reinstall it, you'll need the serial number you
obtained during the free license period. If you lost or misplaced it,
you can find it in:

HKLM\Software\ABBYY\FineReader\4.0\SerialNumber

--
Ron M.
(I filter Googlespam)