Flash Cookie Cleaner, from ConsumerSoft

Richard Steinfeld

Feb 22, 2011, 9:47:47 PM2/22/11
Flash Cookie Cleaner is a freeware application from ConsumerSoft
that allows you to view and delete the flash cookies from your
computer.
What are Flash Cookies?

Flash Cookies are small bits of data saved by websites you visit.
They can be used to store website settings and info (like Flash
game scores), to track website behavior, and to target
advertisments. These cookies can reveal what websites you have
visited. Also known as PIE (persistent identification element)
and LSO’s (local shared objects).

* Freeware Application
* Cleans Flash Cookies, PIE, & LSO's
* Windows 7, Vista, XP, NT, 2000, 98

Start here:
http://www.consumersoft.com/freeware.asp

I tried the application. There's no installation; I just ran the
executable. It was instant and well-behaved.

In my Windows XP, the Microsoft search function wouldn't find the
file within its hidden directory, even though I have all hidden
directories displayed (Bad dog!).

Flash Cookie Cleaner went right to this bugger and displayed its
entire tree branch. And it didn't just gulp it off the system; it
asked me what to do first. With it displayed, I was able to
explore the innards of the cookie with my file snooper utility.
Therein, I discovered that this file stored all my Flash
settings, so pulling it off may not be such a good thing.

But editing it might bring new joy...

This is nice, considerate, effective coding. ConsumerSoft has
donated a real winner to all of us.

Richard

VanguardLH

Feb 23, 2011, 3:18:50 AM2/23/11
Richard Steinfeld wrote:

> Flash Cookie Cleaner is a freeware application from ConsumerSoft

> These cookies can reveal what websites you have visited. Also known as
> PIE (persistent identification element) and LSO’s (local shared
> objects).
>

> Start here:
> http:// www. consumersoft. com/freeware.asp

As with their other payware and freeware products, there are separate
web sites dedicated to each product. For this one, they use the
http://www. flashcookiecleaner. com/ web site.

Here are some of my posts about how to prevent use of local storage:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/5e014fc303374296
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/2bd96db8a8263520

DOM storage is a web browser setting. The original article I read about
it was from Mozilla so supposedly Firefox also lets you disable this
local storage scheme (IE does). Having Flash not allow local storage
is, again, a setting in the Flash control. Those settings get saved in
the .sol settings file so, again, you better not delete it if you want
to use something other than the default settings.

I disable DOM storage in the web browser. I disable the "userdata
persistence" option for the Internet security zone, I disable Flash LSOs
by configuring Flash not to allow them (and use cleanup tools that don't
delete the .sol settings file). No 3rd party cleanup software is
required unless you do want permit those storage schemes and then later
want to purge their data.

> This is nice, considerate, effective coding. ConsumerSoft has
> donated a real winner to all of us.

Personally I don't trust software vendors that hide their domain's
registration (hence hide themselves) behind private registration. IANA
requires registrars to truthfully identify the registrant - so the
registrar sidesteps this requirement by assuming that responsibility
(you'll see the registrar is listed as the registrant). Vendors don't
hide who they are for good reasons. They hide for bad reasons. And
please don't whine that spammers hit domain registrants when their
registration is about to expire because anyone can allocate a dedicate
e-mail account that blocks all e-mails except those that originate from
their registrar.

Private registrations cost extra money beyond the cost for the domain
registration itself. Registrars found they could generate more revenue
by letting their registrants hide. Not only are these registrants
hiding but they're paying extra for it.

ConsumerSoft has their My Faster PC sham (http://www. myfasterpc. com/;
$30 but they "suggest" more stuff to buy on their order form). They are
yet another purveyor of this shamware. I've seen several of this type
of software sold to boobs hoping it would fix problems but they do
nothing - unless you pay for them which really is to get their tech
support included. They operate the My Phone Support "service"
(http://www. myphonesupport. com/) to bill you for fixing your PC.
Being that this is supposedly a real company selling commercialware then
they shouldn't be hiding behind private registration.

Note: They don't sign their software. You'll see the Windows' prompt
"Publisher: Unknown publisher" when you run their installer.

Yes, they do list a street address in New York, NY. Looks to be in on
of PostNet's buildings (http://www.postnet.com/new-york-ny126/) which
rents out mailboxes. The #209 makes you think it's a suite in a
building but it's just the private mailbox number. If you look up
ConsumerSoft at the Better Business Bureau, a different mailing address
is listed (210 West 29th St, Floor 7, New York, NY 10001), a couple
miles from their mailbox drop. If you hit Google Maps and go to the
street view, the 210 address has "NY Fur Wholesalers" on it. Maybe
Consumersoft is on a different floor. It looks like a shared
storefront: the green-painted side is for the fur guy and the bronze
door goes up to the other floors. Certainly not the sleek window-paned
techno building style they present on their home page.

Yes, they do list a telephone number (for the My Faster PC product
support - *if* you buy it). 877 is a reserved non-geographic areacode
for toll-free telephone numbers; i.e., an alternative to the 800
numbers. The 877 exchange is listed in Brevard, NC but the the assignee
may be physically situated anywhere.

Sorry, Richard, but being free still doesn't have me wanting to use
software from this company, especially since I don't need their software
when configuration settings in the web browser and Flash control do the
same thing (and are always active versus having to remember to later run
a manually started utility).

Richard Steinfeld

Feb 25, 2011, 4:28:21 AM2/25/11
Vanguard,

You've made excellent points about their sleazy business
practices, and they sound like folks I don't want to "do
business" with. I noticed the business about all the separate web
sites right off, and I was puzzled by this.

I appreciate the leg work that you did to uncover their MOs, as
well as your taking the trouble to document it so well. I've done
the same.

Yet, this program, itself, seems decent.

I'm using an antique version of FF on this box until I redo the
whole system, and probably don't have the switches you mentioned.