Which Free RSS Agregator To Choose?

Dave

Jan 9, 2005, 5:51:03 AM1/9/05
I have been looking around the net for a free RSS feed reader program. I
thought I'd also check with the experts here for any experiences with the
various options.

Which RSS reader (freeware) do you use?
Thanks.
Dave

stxol

Jan 9, 2005, 6:45:14 AM1/9/05

Sign up for a free account at http://www.bloglines.com/
Why download and install software when you don't have to?

Mike Andrade

Jan 9, 2005, 7:36:42 AM1/9/05
Dave <Dav19...@nowhere.com> wrote in

> I have been looking around the net for a free RSS feed reader
> program. I thought I'd also check with the experts here for any
> experiences with the various options.

Tristana.

--
Mike
"I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to."

nead

Jan 9, 2005, 8:48:13 AM1/9/05

I've used both FeedReader and Abilon. I tend to lean toward Abilon.
--

[Blog] http://www.nead.us/wordpress
[Pics] http://www.photoblog.be/neadfiles

Dave

Jan 9, 2005, 9:10:03 AM1/9/05
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 03:45:14 -0800, stxol wrote:

>>Dave wrote:
>> Which RSS reader (freeware) do you use?

> Sign up for a free account at http://www.bloglines.com/

> Why download and install software when you don't have to?

Ummm.......This site doesn't generate revenue by showing me an endless
stream of @&#*@ing ads while I am trying to read my news, does it?
Dave

-Art-

Jan 9, 2005, 11:07:53 AM1/9/05

If you have a webpage-website, I use http://www.rss-to-javascript.com/
I've got a webpage for alt.comp.freeware using a google news feed.
Check it out here if you like:
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~agl2/google_feed.html

-Art-

Mike Andrade

Jan 9, 2005, 1:56:41 PM1/9/05

> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 03:45:14 -0800, stxol wrote:

No.

--
Mike
"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm

stxol

Jan 10, 2005, 10:02:31 AM1/10/05
Whichever reader you use, check it for security vulnerabilities here:
Izy-News - Security Check for RSS Readers
http://izynews.com/en/safe_rss/

I just found out about this at Eoff's Kosher Freeware Blog:
http://eoff.blogspot.com/

Bloglines passed all the tests.

Iain Cheyne

Jan 10, 2005, 10:55:25 AM1/10/05
Dave <Dav19...@nowhere.com> wrote in news:pan.2005.01.09.17.13.25.187000
@nowhere.com:

>> Sign up for a free account at http://www.bloglines.com/
>> Why download and install software when you don't have to?
>
> Ummm.......This site doesn't generate revenue by showing me an endless
> stream of @&#*@ing ads while I am trying to read my news, does it?

No

--
Iain
Please check www.pricelessware.org, the FAQ and Google Groups before

Dave

Jan 11, 2005, 7:28:51 AM1/11/05
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 07:02:31 -0800, stxol wrote:

> Whichever reader you use, check it for security vulnerabilities here:
> Izy-News - Security Check for RSS Readers
> http://izynews.com/en/safe_rss/
>
> I just found out about this at Eoff's Kosher Freeware Blog:
> http://eoff.blogspot.com/
>
> Bloglines passed all the tests.

Thanks for that. I am fairly new to the RSS format for getting news and
stuff, so I was unaware of any problems. I'll be sure to check this out.
Dave

Terry Pinnell

Jan 19, 2005, 12:14:24 PM1/19/05
Dave <Dav19...@nowhere.com> wrote:

I started on the same road a week ago, having just learned of the
existence of RSS. But I got diverted by deciding to install Firefox on
Monday (replacing MSIE6).

Some of the following *are* free, but none are expensive. I was aiming
at freeware, but may decide to pay. That is, if I don't drop the idea
of a stand-alone program all together, and try to manage RSS feeds
from Firefox.

Stand-alone:
------------
FeedDemon Probably my favourite
http://www.bradsoft.com/

NewzCrawler Or maybe...
http://www.newzcrawler.com/

SharpReader Or maybe this, especialy as it's free
http://www.sharpreader.net/

Abilon First I tried. Think that's free too
http://www.abilon.org/

RSS Bandit Installed but not tried properly
http://www.abilon.org/

Web-based
---------
Bloglines Not keen
http://www.bloglines.com/

Browser-based
-------------
Firefox 1.0 (with its inbuilt LiveBookmarks) Simple.
http://www.mozilla.org/

Firefox 1.0 (with extension Sage) Have yet to understand it.
http://sage.mozdev.org/

====================

Here are some others I have not checked out

Abolimba Multibrowser, aborange.de RSS News Reader, Aggregator
http://www.aborange.de/products/abolimba.php

AmphetaDesk RSS News Reader, Aggregator
http://www.disobey.com/amphetadesk/

Blogbot PlugIn Reader
http://www.blogbot.com/

FeedReader RSS News Reader, Aggregator
http://www.feedreader.com/

Genecast Reader PlugIn for Newsgroup Reader
http://www.genecast.com/

Headline Viewer RSS News Reader, Aggregator
http://www.headlineviewer.com/

HydraLinks RSS News Reader, Aggregator
http://www.hydralinks.com/

MyWireService RSS News Reader, Aggregator
http://www.mywireservice.com/

NetNewsWire, Ranchero Software RSS News Reader, Aggregator
http://ranchero.com/netnewswire/

News Gator RSS News Reader, Aggregator
http://www.newsgator.com/

NewsIsFree RSS News Reader, Aggregator
http://www.newsisfree.com/

NewsKnowledge RSS News Reader, Aggregator
http://www.newsknowledge.com/

NewsMonster RSS News Reader, Aggregator
http://www.newsmonster.org/

RSS Reader RSS News Reader, Aggregator
http://www.rssreader.com/

WTicker RSS News Reader, Aggregator
http://www.wticker.org/
Newsfeed Services

I'd be interested to hear how you get on, either here or email.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Mike Andrade

Jan 19, 2005, 5:37:17 PM1/19/05
Terry Pinnell <terr...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in

> I started on the same road a week ago, having just learned of the
> existence of RSS. But I got diverted by deciding to install
> Firefox on Monday (replacing MSIE6).

No tristana in the list? It and Abilon are the best of the freeware
versions, imo.

--
Mike
You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Barney

Jan 19, 2005, 11:41:18 PM1/19/05
Dave <Dav19...@nowhere.com> had
writtennews:pan.2005.01.09....@nowhere.com:

Dave, I ended up with "Sauce Reader" after trying many. It's is from
Synop and updates if you allow it. I had used "Sharp Reader' prior
and considered the best untill I discovered Sauce. Sauce is easy and
you can create folders for catagories. Setting up a home page is
very simple as well.

Sorry no download sites, but Google will get you there.
--
Barney __________________________
Talk is cheap! Thats why I can afford it.

Terry Pinnell

Jan 20, 2005, 1:02:38 PM1/20/05
Mike Andrade <m...@box.invalid> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell <terr...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in
>
>> I started on the same road a week ago, having just learned of the
>> existence of RSS. But I got diverted by deciding to install
>> Firefox on Monday (replacing MSIE6).
>
>No tristana in the list? It and Abilon are the best of the freeware
>versions, imo.

I'd guess there are probably another 50 or more not on my list. How
about publishing yours?

Mike Andrade

Jan 20, 2005, 6:01:43 PM1/20/05
Terry Pinnell <terr...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in

There are not 50 other /freeware/ readers. If you're interested in
another kind, you're in the wrong group.

--
Mike
Is reading in the bathroom considered Multi-Tasking?

FossilButt

Jan 21, 2005, 1:07:36 PM1/21/05
nntp//rss

From the website...

"nntp//rss is a Java-based bridge between RSS feeds and NNTP clients,
enabling you to read your favorite RSS syndicated content within your
existing NNTP newsreader. RSS feeds are represented as NNTP newsgroups,
providing a simple, straightforward and familiar environment for news
reading."

Dave

Jan 24, 2005, 4:12:36 PM1/24/05
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:14:24 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

><snip great list of RSS progs>

> I'd be interested to hear how you get on, either here or email.

Thanks for the great list of possibilities Terry. I'll check a few of
those out. Sorry the reply took so long. I got busy with a couple of other
things. Thanks again.