Reminders

nom...@hotmail.com

Sep 18, 2008, 7:59:58 PM9/18/08

Any recommendations for a simple program to remind me of things
to be done at a future date?

A pop-up message on the date would be fine.

Pete K

Bear Bottoms

Sep 18, 2008, 8:42:55 PM9/18/08
nom...@hotmail.com wrote in news:cnq5d4prqi2nb14bdjmrddf25mg7jcc8eu@
4ax.com:

How about SimpleReminder
http://www.willemssoft.be/index.php?main=5&sub=8&action=productdetails&id=
113

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website: http://bearware.info

jon

Sep 18, 2008, 8:55:32 PM9/18/08
nom...@hotmail.com wrote:

>Any recommendations for a simple program to remind me of things
>to be done at a future date?

http://www.8ung.at/ukrebs/

Bear Bottoms

Sep 18, 2008, 8:58:37 PM9/18/08
Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote in

> nom...@hotmail.com wrote in news:cnq5d4prqi2nb14bdjmrddf25mg7jcc8eu@
> 4ax.com:
>

>> Any recommendations for a simple program to remind me of things
>> to be done at a future date?
>>
>> A pop-up message on the date would be fine.
>>
>> Pete K
>>

> How about SimpleReminder
> http://www.willemssoft.be/index.php?main=5&sub=8&action=productdetails&
> id= 113

I should add that the program may be portable. After installation, copy
the folder whereever you want it to reside. Remove the unins000.exe and
the unins000.dat from that folder. Go to the original installation
directory and use the unins000.exe to remove the installed program.

Then go to the location where you copied the folder and run Simple
Reminder.exe. When you set a reminder (you must fill in a description
also) it will create a data.dat file in that folder. You are set to go.

Very simple reminder program.

Bear Bottoms

Sep 18, 2008, 9:09:10 PM9/18/08
jon <mcdad...@hhotmail.ccom.invalid> wrote in

Current URL: http://freenet-homepage.de/ukrebs/

Bear Bottoms

Sep 18, 2008, 9:11:34 PM9/18/08

> nom...@hotmail.com wrote in news:cnq5d4prqi2nb14bdjmrddf25mg7jcc8eu@

> 4ax.com:
>

>> Any recommendations for a simple program to remind me of things
>> to be done at a future date?
>>
>> A pop-up message on the date would be fine.
>>
>> Pete K
>>

> How about SimpleReminder
> http://www.willemssoft.be/index.php?main=5&sub=8&action=productdetails&
> id= 113

Try http://www.willemssoft.be/index.php?main=1 then "My Software" then
"Tools"

Craig

Sep 18, 2008, 9:46:28 PM9/18/08

Sunbird <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird/>. It's
open-source & cross-platform. Portable version is here
<http://portableapps.com/apps/office/sunbird_portable>

hth,
-Craig

LouB

Sep 18, 2008, 10:07:32 PM9/18/08

Not a program, but a free service. Sends you an email.
I use it and it is very neat.

http://www.resnooze.com/

Lou

Message has been deleted

nom...@hotmail.com

Sep 19, 2008, 12:20:26 AM9/19/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:07:32 -0400, LouB <Lo...@invalid.com>
wrote:

Thanks Lou - that will do be very well.

Pete K

Caesar Romano

Sep 19, 2008, 6:44:33 AM9/19/08
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:59:58 +1000, nom...@hotmail.com wrote Re
Reminders:

Essential PIM Free
http://www.essentialpim.com/?r=products&pr=essentialpim

Henry The Mole

Sep 19, 2008, 7:14:35 AM9/19/08
Hello, nom...@hotmail.com!

You wrote on Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:59:58 +1000:

> Any recommendations for a simple program to remind me of things to be done
> at a future date?

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/

Kindly regards.
--
Henry The Mole.
"I can't believe I ate the whole thing!"

Message has been deleted

John Corliss

Sep 19, 2008, 7:54:32 AM9/19/08
Bear Bottoms wrote:

> jon wrote:
>> nom...@hotmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Any recommendations for a simple program to remind me of things
>>> to be done at a future date?
>>
>> http://www.8ung.at/ukrebs/
>
> Current URL: http://freenet-homepage.de/ukrebs/

Interesting. If you start both sites in adjacent tabs and then maximize
the screen shots in each, you can switch back and forth to visually see
the changes and improvements in the newer version.

--
John Corliss BS206. I use nFilter to block all Google Groups posts
because of Googlespam. No ad, cd, commercial, cripple, demo, dotnet,

John Corliss

Sep 19, 2008, 8:01:50 AM9/19/08
Bear Bottoms wrote:
> Bear Bottoms wrote:
>> nom...@hotmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Any recommendations for a simple program to remind me of things
>>> to be done at a future date?
>>>
>>> A pop-up message on the date would be fine.
>>
>> How about SimpleReminder
>> http://www.willemssoft.be/index.php?main=5&sub=8&action=productdetails&id= 113

> I should add that the program may be portable. After installation, copy
> the folder whereever you want it to reside. Remove the unins000.exe and
> the unins000.dat from that folder. Go to the original installation
> directory and use the unins000.exe to remove the installed program.
>
> Then go to the location where you copied the folder and run Simple
> Reminder.exe. When you set a reminder (you must fill in a description
> also) it will create a data.dat file in that folder. You are set to go.
>
> Very simple reminder program.

That is a neat looking little program, Bear. How is it in the way of ram
consumption? It's got to have a small footprint.

Bear Bottoms

Sep 19, 2008, 8:16:46 AM9/19/08
John Corliss <jcor...@fake.invalid> wrote in

> Bear Bottoms wrote:
>> Bear Bottoms wrote:

>>> How about SimpleReminder
>>> http://www.willemssoft.be/index.php?main=5&sub=8&action=productdetail
>>> s&id= 113
>>
>> I should add that the program may be portable. After installation,
>> copy the folder whereever you want it to reside. Remove the
>> unins000.exe and the unins000.dat from that folder. Go to the
>> original installation directory and use the unins000.exe to remove
>> the installed program.
>>
>> Then go to the location where you copied the folder and run Simple
>> Reminder.exe. When you set a reminder (you must fill in a description
>> also) it will create a data.dat file in that folder. You are set to
>> go.
>>
>> Very simple reminder program.
>
> That is a neat looking little program, Bear. How is it in the way of
> ram consumption? It's got to have a small footprint.

It runs at 8megs. The exe is 800kb but the total is 1meg with the wav
sounds.

Rod

Sep 19, 2008, 11:18:07 AM9/19/08

Craig

Sep 19, 2008, 12:19:00 PM9/19/08
Yrrah wrote:
> Craig <netbu...@REMOVEgmail.com>:
>
>> Sunbird
>
> Isn't it overkill for someone who wants a "simple program to remind me
> of things"?

Define "simple." <GriN> I figure Sunbird's in the neighborhood & the
OP could sort out the rest.

-Craig

Message has been deleted

John Corliss

Sep 19, 2008, 1:06:42 PM9/19/08
Bear Bottoms wrote:

> John Corliss wrote:
>> Bear Bottoms wrote:

>>> I should add that the program may be portable. After installation,
>>> copy the folder whereever you want it to reside. Remove the
>>> unins000.exe and the unins000.dat from that folder. Go to the
>>> original installation directory and use the unins000.exe to remove
>>> the installed program.
>>>
>>> Then go to the location where you copied the folder and run Simple
>>> Reminder.exe. When you set a reminder (you must fill in a description
>>> also) it will create a data.dat file in that folder. You are set to
>>> go.
>>>
>>> Very simple reminder program.
>> That is a neat looking little program, Bear. How is it in the way of
>> ram consumption? It's got to have a small footprint.
>>
> It runs at 8megs. The exe is 800kb but the total is 1meg with the wav
> sounds.

'Fraid that's a little high (on my ancient system) to have running in
the background unless you mean when it's not at idle and is alerting you.

By comparison, NewsProxy runs at 3 megs, MS's UPHClean runs at 1.6 mb
and TClock runs at 2.5 (all, of course, unless they're doing something;
then they use more.)

Thanks for the info though, it still might be a program I'd use because
of its simplicity.

Bear Bottoms

Sep 19, 2008, 1:33:03 PM9/19/08
John Corliss <jcor...@fake.invalid> wrote in news:AY6dndbSxp-
5QU7VnZ2dn...@posted.ccountrynet:

> 'Fraid that's a little high (on my ancient system) to have running in
> the background unless you mean when it's not at idle and is alerting you.

No, it takes 8+ megs of memory depending on how many reminders you have.

I like it because of the list of simplicity, it does one time, daily,
weekly, monthly or yearly plus recurring. It includes the wav files for
notification which you can loop if you wish, is portable (made so) and the
dat file is created in the folder you house the exe in.

I use Sunbird for my mainstay reminders, but this one for quick reminders
because of the ease of use.

John Corliss

Sep 19, 2008, 1:58:37 PM9/19/08
Bear Bottoms wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>>
>> 'Fraid that's a little high (on my ancient system) to have running in
>> the background unless you mean when it's not at idle and is alerting you.
>
> No, it takes 8+ megs of memory depending on how many reminders you have.

So you're saying that it takes a minimum of 8 mb to run in the
background then?

> I like it because of the list of simplicity, it does one time, daily,
> weekly, monthly or yearly plus recurring. It includes the wav files for
> notification which you can loop if you wish, is portable (made so) and the
> dat file is created in the folder you house the exe in.

Yeah, I read your suggestions there. Good idea.

> I use Sunbird for my mainstay reminders, but this one for quick reminders
> because of the ease of use.

In the past I've used post-it notes type programs, but was dissatisfied
with them all. This one (Simplereminder) looks pretty good and might be
worth the resources.

OTOH, that other one mentioned by Jim, MiniMinder, looks pretty good
too. Have you tried it? It's a larger (8mb) download, but might run with
less resources. Don't know. Both programs are pretty similar.

Bear Bottoms

Sep 19, 2008, 2:20:22 PM9/19/08

> Bear Bottoms wrote:
>> John Corliss wrote:
>>>
>>> 'Fraid that's a little high (on my ancient system) to have running
>>> in the background unless you mean when it's not at idle and is
>>> alerting you.
>>
>> No, it takes 8+ megs of memory depending on how many reminders you
>> have.
>
> So you're saying that it takes a minimum of 8 mb to run in the
> background then?

Yes.

>> I like it because of the list of simplicity, it does one time, daily,
>> weekly, monthly or yearly plus recurring. It includes the wav files
>> for notification which you can loop if you wish, is portable (made
>> so) and the dat file is created in the folder you house the exe in.
>
> Yeah, I read your suggestions there. Good idea.
>
>> I use Sunbird for my mainstay reminders, but this one for quick
>> reminders because of the ease of use.
>
> In the past I've used post-it notes type programs, but was
> dissatisfied with them all. This one (Simplereminder) looks pretty
> good and might be worth the resources.

I used to have a portable program called Reminder that did the same thing
but went payware. It was very light on resources....alas but gone.

> OTOH, that other one mentioned by Jim, MiniMinder, looks pretty good
> too. Have you tried it? It's a larger (8mb) download, but might run
> with less resources. Don't know. Both programs are pretty similar.

I copied the URL to investigate probably later today. I had downloaded
it, hoping it would just be an exe, but it installs. I'll check it out.

Duddits

Sep 19, 2008, 3:28:04 PM9/19/08
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:59:58 +1000, nom...@hotmail.com wrote:

I like/use Event Manager
http://www.rotebetasoftware.net/wp/freeware/event-manager/

regards

Dud
--
Respond to a known troll and join them in my killfile...

What's in a Name?

Sep 19, 2008, 11:00:36 PM9/19/08

No one mentioned Rainlendar Lite (it's what I use). Simple,light on
resources(1.5mb) and can be portable(3.2mb folder size on my USB).
http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

max
--
Virus Removal http://max.shplink.com/removal.html
Keep Clean http://max.shplink.com/keepingclean.html

hummingbird

Sep 20, 2008, 5:21:08 AM9/20/08

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 23:00:36 -0400 'What's in a Name?'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:59:58 -0400, <nom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Any recommendations for a simple program to remind me of things
>> to be done at a future date?
>>
>> A pop-up message on the date would be fine.
>>
>> Pete K
>
>No one mentioned Rainlendar Lite (it's what I use). Simple,light on
>resources(1.5mb) and can be portable(3.2mb folder size on my USB).
>http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
>
>max

I was going to mention Rainlendar because I now use it (thanks
to JC's recent recommendation) and it's truly excellent. However,
afaik it doesn't produce automatic pop-up reminders except in the
sys/tray, so the OP might not be interested.

I use it by mousing over the dates on the calendar and it pops up
the list of reminders for that date in a rectangle balloon.

--
"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,

John Corliss

Sep 20, 2008, 7:21:42 AM9/20/08
hummingbird wrote:

> What's in a Name? wrote:
>> nom...@hotmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Any recommendations for a simple program to remind me of things
>>> to be done at a future date?
>>>
>>> A pop-up message on the date would be fine.
>>
>> No one mentioned Rainlendar Lite (it's what I use). Simple,light on
>> resources(1.5mb) and can be portable(3.2mb folder size on my USB).
>> http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
>
> I was going to mention Rainlendar because I now use it (thanks
> to JC's recent recommendation) and it's truly excellent. However,
> afaik it doesn't produce automatic pop-up reminders except in the
> sys/tray, so the OP might not be interested.
>
> I use it by mousing over the dates on the calendar and it pops up
> the list of reminders for that date in a rectangle balloon.

IMO, that's a better way to do it rather than having an alarm. That is,
unless you have something important that you set up the same morning and
are counting down to. However, in my case I usually have it together
better than to miss something like that.

Alarms make me jumpy. I might grab my baseball bat and hit something....

80)>

Bear Bottoms

Sep 20, 2008, 8:02:42 AM9/20/08

> hummingbird wrote:
>> What's in a Name? wrote:

>>> No one mentioned Rainlendar Lite (it's what I use). Simple,light on
>>> resources(1.5mb) and can be portable(3.2mb folder size on my USB).
>>> http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
>>
>> I was going to mention Rainlendar because I now use it (thanks
>> to JC's recent recommendation) and it's truly excellent. However,
>> afaik it doesn't produce automatic pop-up reminders except in the
>> sys/tray, so the OP might not be interested.
>>
>> I use it by mousing over the dates on the calendar and it pops up
>> the list of reminders for that date in a rectangle balloon.
>
> IMO, that's a better way to do it rather than having an alarm. That is,
> unless you have something important that you set up the same morning
and
> are counting down to. However, in my case I usually have it together
> better than to miss something like that.
>
> Alarms make me jumpy. I might grab my baseball bat and hit
something....

> 80)>

That makes twice I've spit coffee on my keyboard.

LouB

Sep 20, 2008, 8:25:02 AM9/20/08
John Corliss wrote:
> hummingbird wrote:
>> What's in a Name? wrote:

>>> No one mentioned Rainlendar Lite (it's what I use). Simple,light on
>>> resources(1.5mb) and can be portable(3.2mb folder size on my USB).
>>> http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
>>
>> I was going to mention Rainlendar because I now use it (thanks to JC's
>> recent recommendation) and it's truly excellent. However,
>> afaik it doesn't produce automatic pop-up reminders except in the
>> sys/tray, so the OP might not be interested.
>>
>> I use it by mousing over the dates on the calendar and it pops up
>> the list of reminders for that date in a rectangle balloon.
>
> IMO, that's a better way to do it rather than having an alarm. That is,
> unless you have something important that you set up the same morning and
> are counting down to. However, in my case I usually have it together
> better than to miss something like that.
>
> Alarms make me jumpy. I might grab my baseball bat and hit something....
>
> 80)>

I agree, which is why I use Resnooze. It sends me an email with a
subject that I define. Takes NO resources on my machine since it is a
service (FREE). http://www.resnooze.com/

Lou

Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

Sep 20, 2008, 8:42:32 AM9/20/08
nom...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Any recommendations for a simple program to remind me of things
> to be done at a future date?
>
> A pop-up message on the date would be fine.
>
> Pete K

Rainlendar
http://www.rainlendar.net/

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.5

Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

Sep 20, 2008, 8:43:22 AM9/20/08
> No one mentioned Rainlendar Lite (it's what I use). Simple,light on
> resources(1.5mb) and can be portable(3.2mb folder size on my USB).
> http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Wonder if it could work as a Vi$ta gadget....

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.5

^ ^ 20:41:01 up 11 days 5:31 3 users load average: 1.02 1.05 1.01

hummingbird

Sep 20, 2008, 9:14:43 AM9/20/08

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 04:21:42 -0700 'John Corliss'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>hummingbird wrote:
>> What's in a Name? wrote:

>>> No one mentioned Rainlendar Lite (it's what I use). Simple,light on
>>> resources(1.5mb) and can be portable(3.2mb folder size on my USB).
>>> http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

>> I was going to mention Rainlendar because I now use it (thanks
>> to JC's recent recommendation) and it's truly excellent. However,
>> afaik it doesn't produce automatic pop-up reminders except in the
>> sys/tray, so the OP might not be interested.
>>
>> I use it by mousing over the dates on the calendar and it pops up
>> the list of reminders for that date in a rectangle balloon.
>
>IMO, that's a better way to do it rather than having an alarm. That is,
>unless you have something important that you set up the same morning and
>are counting down to. However, in my case I usually have it together
>better than to miss something like that.
>
>Alarms make me jumpy. I might grab my baseball bat and hit something....
>
>80)>

Totally agree. I like it largely because of its easy use, and I
really like that the desktop calendar is resizable. I find the
apps that produce popup reminders (often with alarms) a PITA
...always happening just when I don't want them ;-)

Ari

Sep 20, 2008, 1:05:59 PM9/20/08
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:21:08 +0100, hummingbird wrote:

> I was going to mention Rainlendar because I now use it (thanks
> to JC's recent recommendation) and it's truly excellent. However,
> afaik it doesn't produce automatic pop-up reminders except in the
> sys/tray, so the OP might not be interested.

It does and the fact that you don't know this means you either lying
about using it, to suck up to Corliss) or you're an idiot.

I bet both.
--
Bear Bottoms aka William "Bear" Bottoms (Google for more info) infamous
for his posting of *any* freeware regardless of its lack of development

Bottoms claims to be a "freeware scientist", "a beta tester" and a
"security expert". He is none of these. William "Bear" Bottoms is devoid
of integrity and is untrustworthy even to his closest friends.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4y6qqz

His attempted dominance of Alt.Comp.Freeware (ACF) is his only,
self-absorbed priority.

BEWARE OF BEARWARE!!

What's in a Name?

Sep 20, 2008, 8:36:06 PM9/20/08
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 05:21:08 -0400, hummingbird <hummi...@127.0.0.1>
wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 23:00:36 -0400 'What's in a Name?'
> wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:59:58 -0400, <nom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Any recommendations for a simple program to remind me of things
>>> to be done at a future date?
>>>
>>> A pop-up message on the date would be fine.
>>>
>>> Pete K
>>
>> No one mentioned Rainlendar Lite (it's what I use). Simple,light on
>> resources(1.5mb) and can be portable(3.2mb folder size on my USB).
>> http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
>>
>> max
>
> I was going to mention Rainlendar because I now use it (thanks
> to JC's recent recommendation) and it's truly excellent. However,
> afaik it doesn't produce automatic pop-up reminders except in the
> sys/tray, so the OP might not be interested.
>
> I use it by mousing over the dates on the calendar and it pops up
> the list of reminders for that date in a rectangle balloon.

I guess I didn't read throughly! After finding the link I see that there
are newer versions that are a little bigger. I wonder if the memory use
has increased. I see that there are some skins that have a clock,RSS
reader and a few other things.

hummingbird

Sep 21, 2008, 10:36:53 AM9/21/08

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 20:36:06 -0400 'What's in a Name?'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

Yep, I'm running the latest v2.4 Lite with the ChromophoreBlack
skin that I got from their website:
http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_rny_skins

I need to have a more thorough look at the skins available...
It's a very neat program for me.

Tommy

Sep 22, 2008, 7:46:47 PM9/22/08

"jon" <mcdad...@hhotmail.ccom.invalid> wrote in message

> nom...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>Any recommendations for a simple program to remind me of things
>>to be done at a future date?
>
> http://www.8ung.at/ukrebs/

http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/desktop-reminder.html

http://www.softsea.com/review/Alarm-Clock-4-Free.html