Scan to PDF freeware for HP scanner?

Bjorn Simonsen

Oct 16, 2007, 8:41:43 AM10/16/07

A friend of mine has a HP deskjet 950c printer with scanner. The
software that came with the printer allows scanning to image, but not
to PDF. Any freeware scanning software out there to scan to PDF?

TIA

All the best,
Bjorn S.

wasbit

Oct 16, 2007, 9:08:17 AM10/16/07
Message has been deleted

Brian Arthur Robertson

Oct 16, 2007, 9:49:53 AM10/16/07
Bjorn Simonsen wrote:
> A friend of mine has a HP deskjet 950c printer with scanner. The
> software that came with the printer allows scanning to image, but not
> to PDF. Any freeware scanning software out there to scan to PDF?

An easy work-around for this problem would be to print the image file as
a PDF. PrimoPDF would be a good freeware tool to do this.

From their website:

FREE! Convert to PDF from any application by simply 'printing' to the
PrimoPDF® printer - it couldn't be easier! Within minutes, you can
create high-quality PDFs by converting from Word, Excel, and virtually
any other printable file type.

* Completely FREE PDF Converter - not just a trial version.
* Print to PDF from virtually any Windows® application.
* Create PDF output optmized for print, screen, ebook, or prepress.
* No annoying pop-up ads, no registration requirement - no catch!
* High-quality, easy to use PDF creator for all users.
* New! Ability to merge PDF files upon conversion.
* New! Now supports Windows Vista.

http://www.primopdf.com/

HTH

--
Brian Arthur Robertson

http://brian.arthur.robertson.googlepages.com/freesoftware

http://brian.arthur.robertson.googlepages.com/rare-ware

Craig

Oct 16, 2007, 11:44:02 AM10/16/07
Bjorn Simonsen wrote:
> A friend of mine has a HP deskjet 950c printer with scanner. The
> software that came with the printer allows scanning to image, but not
> to PDF. Any freeware scanning software out there to scan to PDF?

Bjorn;

I've a Brother all-in-one scan/fax/print/coffee/pastry thingy. Apart
from the s/w bundle that came with it (paperport, etc) there is a
Brother utility that manages the interface. The only s/w I installed
was the utility.

It's from there that I've pointed all scans to default to pdf. Perhaps
the Deskjet has something similar?

Or, barring that, perhaps you can set the scanner's default printer as
PDFCreator (a pdf printer spooler).

hth,
-Craig

Bjorn Simonsen

Oct 17, 2007, 12:17:11 PM10/17/07
wasbit wrote in <13h9dtr...@corp.supernews.com>:

>If you already own a scanner check the driver cd. You may already have Optical Character Recognition software without
>realising it.

No driver cd, and no such software at HPs support page for said
printer. Thanks for the OCR-link collection.

Bjorn Simonsen

Oct 17, 2007, 12:17:11 PM10/17/07
Adrian Reedy wrote in <29f9h3t6rhdlqsoss...@4ax.com>:

>PrimoPDF works very well. You can either capture a page to a file, or append it
>to a previous file. I use it with my HP 3970 scanner every day.

Does PrimoPDF receive its input from the scanner directly, or some OCR
software?

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Bjorn Simonsen

Oct 17, 2007, 12:17:11 PM10/17/07
Brian Arthur Robertson wrote in
<4714c186$0$90275$1472...@news.sunsite.dk>:

>An easy work-around for this problem would be to print the image file as
>a PDF.

That would work just fine for me, but not for the person in question.
Need a one-step, "one-clik" solution, but thanks for the suggestion.
:)

Bjorn Simonsen

Oct 17, 2007, 12:17:11 PM10/17/07
Craig wrote in <6%4Ri.45309$RX.3...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net>:

>I've a Brother all-in-one scan/fax/print/coffee/pastry thingy. Apart
>from the s/w bundle that came with it (paperport, etc) there is a
>Brother utility that manages the interface. The only s/w I installed
>was the utility.

I know what you mean, we have a couple of Cannon printers here with
similar software. Very easy to use.

>It's from there that I've pointed all scans to default to pdf. Perhaps
>the Deskjet has something similar?

Not AFAIK. User does not have a support cd, and I did not find any
such software (only image scan software) on HPs support page.

>Or, barring that, perhaps you can set the scanner's default printer as
>PDFCreator (a pdf printer spooler).

Ah, now I see how a PDF-printer like PrimoPDF might be set up in this
case, if the scanner has a direct print option, a pdf printer may be
used. Will have to ask user in question. Can not see for my self,
trying to help long distance here :)