110 Free Microsoft Tools

Bjorn Simonsen

Mar 29, 2005, 11:15:10 AM3/29/05
From Personal Computer World (a UK pc mag ):

<http://labs.pcw.co.uk/2005/03/110_free_micros.html>

quote:
110 Free Microsoft Tools
In our May 2005 issue, we've reviewed 110 of the best free tools
available from Microsoft. Click on the link below to download a
Zip file containing spreadsheets with clickable hotlinks to all
the utilities. These files are also included on the cover CD/DVD.
<http://labs.pcw.co.uk/files/110_microsoft_tools.zip>
/quote

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Wald

Mar 29, 2005, 11:32:26 AM3/29/05
Bjorn Simonsen <bsus...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://labs.pcw.co.uk/files/110_microsoft_tools.zip

It is *so* damn unbelievable that they provide this in Excel format XLS
files. Open standards, anyone?

Regards,
Wald

Message has been deleted

Gabriele Neukam

Mar 29, 2005, 11:48:58 AM3/29/05
On that special day, Wald, (arnout.standaert@n-o_s-p-a-
m.cit.kuleuven.ac.be) said...

> It is *so* damn unbelievable that they provide this in Excel format XLS
> files. Open standards, anyone?

This may help:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
displaylang=de&FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0 (one line)

or

http://www.openoffice.org/product/calc.html

if you don't mind to install a complete office suite.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spam...@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

Bjorn Simonsen

Mar 29, 2005, 12:02:01 PM3/29/05
Wald wrote in <Xns9628BD06F957Bar...@134.58.127.12>:

>> http://labs.pcw.co.uk/files/110_microsoft_tools.zip
>
>It is *so* damn unbelievable that they provide this in Excel format XLS
>files. Open standards, anyone?

Agree of course.

(Fwiw: For those without Excel (me included): Open Office, and I am
sure many other spreadsheet apps, can read XLS...and there is also a
free Excel 2003 viewer by MS at:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C8378BF4-996C-4569-B547-75EDBD03AAF0&displaylang=en>

if the above long url wraps, try:
<http://makeashorterlink.com/?U29D63B4A>...

warning, the Excel 2003 viwer download is aprox 10mb. The former
viewer for Excel 97/2000 is smaller (but not small) 4mb, but MS no
longer host it AFAIK. Googling for it provides several 3.party d/l
links though, among them
<http://www.cmacademy.org/db/faculty/ExcelViewerStudents> )

Wald

Mar 29, 2005, 12:15:14 PM3/29/05
Mel <M...@nospam.com> wrote:

>>On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:32:26 +0000 (UTC), Wald
>><arnout.standaert@n-o_s-p-a-m.cit.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
>
>>Open standards, anyone?
>
> Right Click/Quick View?

That's not the point. Read more at:

http://perens.com/OpenStandards/Definition.html
http://openstandards.org/

If you can read Dutch:
http://www.openstandaarden.be/

Regards,
Wald

Fran

Mar 29, 2005, 12:43:55 PM3/29/05
What exactly is the open standard for spreadsheets?

"Wald" <arnout.standaert@n-o_s-p-a-m.cit.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote in message

Rob Kelk

Mar 29, 2005, 12:58:20 PM3/29/05
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:43:55 +0200, "Fran" <fran....@public.srce.hr>
wrote:

>What exactly is the open standard for spreadsheets?

XML (which is what OpenOffice uses).
--
Rob Kelk
Personal address, in ROT-13: eboxryx -ng- wxfei -qbg- pbz

omz...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2005, 3:36:07 PM3/29/05
Or even download Spread32 to view spreadsheet files:
http://www.byedesign.freeserve.co.uk/

Bjorn Simonsen

Mar 29, 2005, 3:46:41 PM3/29/05
omz...@gmail.com wrote in
<1112128567....@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>:

>Or even download Spread32 to view spreadsheet files:
>http://www.byedesign.freeserve.co.uk/

Yes, but Spread32 is Sharware/Nagware.

Wald

Mar 30, 2005, 1:28:59 AM3/30/05
omz...@gmail.com wrote:

> Or even download Spread32 to view spreadsheet files:
> http://www.byedesign.freeserve.co.uk/

That's really really besides the point. XLS is a proprietary, closed
format that is only fully viewable with the proprietary commercial
product that Excel is.

Information in these file formats is inherently inaccessible, and we can
only view them because the developers of free tools (like OpenOffice,
...) have invested a lot of time *guessing* part of the file format
structure. Even if we currently have a reasonable way of viewing these
files, in principle they are to be avoided if we want the information to
be universally accessible, which after all it should be.

In this specific case, providing XLS files is even more bizarre since the
information can just as well, and even better, be presented in a simple
HTML file. HTML is an open standard and can be viewed by anyone with a
browser.

Some of you might think I'm making too big of a deal out of this, but
IMHO this is quite important (and I'm not alone). It's the same situation
that has made website development a real pain in the ass, simply because
of Internet Explorer's non-compliance to web standards.

Anyway, I hope I made some point :-)

Regards,
Wald

Wald

Mar 30, 2005, 1:34:24 AM3/30/05
"Fran" <fran....@public.srce.hr> wrote:

> What exactly is the open standard for spreadsheets?

*The* open standard is a bit of a strong word, but currently that would be
the OpenDocument format. OpenOffice will use this format by default in the
future, and it is already available in the current version 2 betas.

However, in this case, the information presented does not need a
spreadsheet format, it's just text and clickable links. These people should
have used simple HTML documents to store the information, resulting in
smaller file sizes and better accessibility.

Regards,
Wald

Message has been deleted

wald

Mar 30, 2005, 2:37:52 AM3/30/05
Mel <M...@nospam.com> wrote:

>>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 06:28:59 +0000 (UTC), Wald
>><arnout.standaert@n-o_s-p-a-m.cit.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
>
>>Anyway, I hope I made some point :-)
>

> Whining here does not good,

I was hoping to make some people aware of the issues involved. But
OK, I'll stop whining for now.

> if you really want to do some good
> complain to the author of the documents.

That's obviously true, and I did send feedback to the PCW people.
Now let's wait and see if it actually does any good.

Regards,
Wald

NoWhereMan

Mar 30, 2005, 6:11:32 AM3/30/05
*Wald* :

They're MS's free tools... so the list is in MS's format :)

bambam

Mar 30, 2005, 6:31:53 AM3/30/05

>> Whining here does not good,

> I was hoping to make some people aware of the issues involved. But
> OK, I'll stop whining for now.

You are allowed a little whine every now and then Wald. :)
It is potentially a very important subject. Keep up the good work.

Bjorn Simonsen

Mar 30, 2005, 8:02:05 AM3/30/05
bambam wrote in <Xns9629EF2C3444997...@127.0.0.1>:

Agree, important subject. Thanks to Wald for taking the time. May seem
like fighting windmills, but if at least one person learned something
new in this thread. And for we all we know that person may turn out
the next "open standards advocate" to make a big difference, or more
likely but no less important; will make more informed/better choices
in the future.

Egwig the Fit

Mar 30, 2005, 8:23:04 AM3/30/05

"bambam" <97hk...@sneakemail.com> wrote in message

Well said, Bam.

Egwig

Zo

Mar 30, 2005, 9:58:45 AM3/30/05
Wald wrote:

Wald,
here's a free app that you can view the xls files with. It's small, just
781.6 kb, no installation required and is a standalone. I just tried and
it works.

XLS Read Write

XLS Read Write is two native Delphi components, TXLSRead and TXLSWrite
designed for accessing microsoft Excel XLS files. There is no need for any
other files to be installed, including Excel.

With XLS Read Write can you:

* Read Excel XLS 2.1, 3.0, 4.0 worksheet files and Excel XLS 5.0, 95,
97, 2000 workbook files.
* Access all sheets in workbook files.
* Receive all text, numbers, etc. you can write in a cell, including
formulas!
* Read cell formatting information (font, cell color, border, etc.).
* Seek function for fast access to single cells.
* Write Excel XLS 4.0 worksheet files and Excel XLS 5.0/ 95/ 97/ 2000
workbook files (with any number of sheets in it).
* Easy to write formulas, just as strings: "SUM(A1:A10) / B2 +
SIN(0.25)"
* Write cell formatting (font, cell color, border, etc.).
* FAST! Write more than 100,000 cells in less than two seconds!

Name of the files is axxlsrw.zip

http://delphi.icm.edu.pl/newl/d60/f003_001.htm

The following is from the "manual file":

XLSReadWrite is free to use for non-commercial use.
For commercial usage, XLSReadWrite costs US $30, including full source
code.

Zo

--
Democracy is three wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper

John Corliss

Mar 30, 2005, 10:22:14 AM3/30/05
Wald wrote:

> Bjorn Simonsen wrote:
>
>> http://labs.pcw.co.uk/files/110_microsoft_tools.zip
>
> It is *so* damn unbelievable that they provide this in Excel format XLS
> files. Open standards, anyone?

Probably a stupid question, but won't the free Microsoft Excel Viewer
2003 (I dont' have it installed, so I don't know) open it?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&DisplayLang=en

(link may wrap)

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls.

Jeff Needle

Mar 30, 2005, 11:29:01 AM3/30/05

I, for one, think you make a lot of sense. Given Microsoft's propensity to
co-opt market share and accessibility, it makes good sense to provide
information in a format easily accessed by all users.

This, however, likely doesn't fit Microsoft's grand plan <grin>.

Jeff Needle

Mar 30, 2005, 11:30:37 AM3/30/05

"John Corliss" <jcor...@fake.invalid> wrote in message

> Wald wrote:
>> Bjorn Simonsen wrote:
>>
>>> http://labs.pcw.co.uk/files/110_microsoft_tools.zip
>>
>> It is *so* damn unbelievable that they provide this in Excel format XLS
>> files. Open standards, anyone?
>
> Probably a stupid question, but won't the free Microsoft Excel Viewer 2003
> (I dont' have it installed, so I don't know) open it?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&DisplayLang=en
>
> (link may wrap)
>
> --

I looked at it, but it's a HUGE download. Those of us on dial-up kinda
rebel against huge, resource-hogging things.

John Rampling

Mar 30, 2005, 12:10:13 PM3/30/05
SUMMARY for those without Excel or spreadsheet application:

.Net Framework 1.1 Microsoft programming environment, required by more and
more applications
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=enApplication
Compatibility Guide XP SP2 Helps administrators to find out which
applications won't run under XP SP 2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9300BECF-2DEE-4772-ADD9-AD0EAF89C4A7&displaylang=enAutoplay
Repair Wizard Finds and repairs non-working Autoplay settings
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C680A7B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=enBoot
diskettes for Windows XP Professional SP 2 Needed to create bootable XP
diskettes
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=535d248d-5e10-49b5-b80c-0a0205368124&displaylang=enDiagnostic
program for MSJVM 1.0a Checks whether the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine is
installed
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4e38f4f9-ce7e-4271-8836-a7d7293a992f&displaylang=enGDI+
checker Checks whether any installed programs require a GDI+ security update
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=71cd9e74-7142-4780-83e5-ce54401da1d1&displaylang=enGroup
policy management console Management console for network management of group
policies
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f39e9d60-7e41-4947-82f5-3330f37adfeb&displaylang=enIIS
LockdownTool 2.1 Deactivates potentially dangerous IIS service settings
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=DDE9EFC0-BB30-47EB-9A61-FD755D23CDEC&displaylang=enMBSA
1.2.1 Scans the system and reports all potential security loopholes
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b13ebd6b-e258-4625-b0a3-64a4879f7798&displaylang=enPerformance
Monitor Wizard Benchmarking tool which monitors and logs PC performance
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=31fccd98-c3a1-4644-9622-faa046d69214&displaylang=enPort
Query 2.0 Helps in tracking down the sources of TCP/IP connection errors
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=89811747-c74b-4638-a2d5-ac828bdc6983&displaylang=enPort
Query Ul Graphical interface for the Port Query 2.0 utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=832919Port Reporter Monitors
and logs activity via TCP and UDP ports
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=69ba779b-bae9-4243-b9d6-63e62b4bcd2e&displaylang=enPR
Parser Viewer for use with Port Reporter log files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837243/enProduct Support Reporting Tools
Collection of nine tools for error finding
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en#filelistQfecheck
1.0 Checks an XP system to see whether all important hotfixes are installed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282784/EN/Scan-Tool KB824146 Scan Checks
your network for computers on which two important patches are missing
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=13ae421b-7bab-41a2-843b-fad838fe472e&displaylang=enSector
Inspector 5.2 Command line tool to read hard disk sectors
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=dd3ef22a-a586-4079-9489-c3ea14573fc4Tweakomatic
1.0 Script based utility with which you can change hundreds of Windows
settings
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspxTweakUI
2.10.0.0 Easy-to-use utility to alter numerous Windows settings
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=bd328d1e-6c01-4447-bd7c-c09646d722c8&displaylang=enURL
Scan 2.5 Filters incoming HTTP requests before they are processed by the web
server http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/urlscan.mspxWindows
Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0 Collection of three utilities for
testing applications under Windows XP SP 2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7FC46855-B8A4-46CD-A236-3159970FDE94&displaylang=enWindows
Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools 126 diagnosis tools to help administrators to
track down faults
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=enWindows
XP Service-Pack 2 rollout tools Utility collection to help with migration to
and unattended installation of XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3e90dc91-ac56-4665-949b-beda3080e0f6&displaylang=enWindows
XP SP2 Support-Tools Collection of 81 diagnostic utilities, some of which
are command line based
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en
TABLE 3 - 25 useful Windows extensions Program Function URLAlt-Tab
Replacement Replaces the Alt-Tab window with a more versatile version
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspxCalculator
Plus Expanded calculator which can also convert units
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=32B0D059-B53A-4DC9-8265-DA47F157C091CD
Slide Show Generator Generates self-running slide shows from selected image
files
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspxClear
Type Tuner Improves the appearance of text on TFT monitors
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspxClient
for Windows Rights Management 1.0 Needed to run applications which use
Windows rights management
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=3115A374-116D-4A6F-BEB2-D6EB6FA66EECCreativity
Fun Pack Power Toys Adds a video screen saver and wallpaper changer to XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/default.mspxDirectX
9.0c Required by many games and multimedia software applications
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a9b6820-bfbb-4799-9908-d418cdeac197&displaylang=enHigh
MAT Support Adds High MAT support to the XP burning function
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2ddf1550-1c5c-44b3-87fc-9c6b37403c35&displaylang=enHTML
Slide Show Wizard Simple tool for creating web slideshows
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspxImage
Resizer Windows Explorer Add-in for rapid image resizing
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspxJava
2.0 Conversion Wizard Converts Java code into Visual C+
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=46bea47e-d47f-4349-9b4f-904b0a973174&displaylang=enOpen
Command Window Here Places a command for opening a command window in the
context menu
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspxPlus
Fotostory 2 LE Tool for designing multimedia slideshows in WMV format
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c96ad0d2-623e-4d92-aef3-8974af3a427c&displaylang=enPower
Calculator Scientific calculator which can display functions graphically
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspxPower
Toys for Windows XP Collection of eleven useful utilities
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspxShadow
Copy Client Allows access under XP to shadow copies stored on other Windows
servers
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e382358f-33c3-4de7-acd8-a33ac92d295e&DisplayLang=enTaskbar
Magnifier Places a screen magnifier with an up to 8x zoom in the taskbar
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspxTime
Zone System Tray utility for displaying clock time in several time zones at
once
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=BFF59FCF-3148-40B8-A286-FE7274F6E4D8&displaylang=enVideo
Decoder Checkup Utility Checks which video codecs are installed on your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=DE1491AC-0AB6-4990-943D-627E6ADE9FCB&displaylang=enVirtual
Desktop Manager Lets you work simultaneously with up to four Windows
desktops
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspxWebcam
Timershot Uses a Webcam to take timed pictures
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspxWindows
Journal Viewer 1.5 Makes it possible to read files created on a Tablet PC
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=fad44098-8b73-4e06-96d4-d1eb70eacb44Windows
Media DiagnosticTool Checks the installed Codecs and writes the findings to
a log file
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C33B924E-A2AE-4F22-93EA-287753C52926&displaylang=enWindows
Script 5.6 Current version of the Windows scripting tool
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&displaylang=enWinter
Fun Screensavers Two winter-themed screensavers
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/desktop/screensavers.mspx
TABLE 4 - 25 useful Multimedia utilities Program Function URLCodec
Installation Package Contains all required WMA and WMV Codecs
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=06FCAAB7-DCC9-466B-B0C4-04DB144BB601&displaylang=enDecades
Auto Playlist Pack 14 automatic playlists for Windows Media Player 9 and 10
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/getmore/plugins.aspxMovie
Maker 2 Creativity Fun Pack A collection of animated titles, sounds and
music clips for Movie Maker 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/mmcreate.mspxMovie
Maker 2 Winter Fun Packs Winter themed collection of animated titles, sounds
and music clips for Movie Maker 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/mmholiday.mspxMovie
Maker 2.1 Latest version of the XP video capturing and authoring tools
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/moviemaker2.mspxPlug-in
for Adobe Premiere 6.5 Adds WMV support to Adobe Premiere
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/premiere/default.aspxPlus!
DancerLE Five animated figures which dance on the desktop
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7f8482e9-5c2f-422d-b945-9ac02b7a8049&displaylang=enRatings
Migration Power Toy Saves and restores Windows Media Player 9 and 10 ratings
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/getmore/plugins.aspxSkins
for Windows Media Player Web page with numerous Windows Media Player Skins
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/getmore/skins.aspxVisualizations
for Windows Media Player Web page with numerous Windows Media Player
visualisations
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/getmore/visualizations.aspxWindows
Media ASF Viewer 9 Diagnostic tool for analysing MP3, WMA, WMV and ASF files
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2a668ab7-4305-46a0-9873-809e52d8ba92&displaylang=enWindows
Media Bonus Pack Collection of Skins, visualisations and sound effects for
Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/bonuspack.aspxWindows
Media Capture 9 Series Enables the capturing of AVI files with surround
sound
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2AAB262D-FE33-4A4E-AAF1-FA1D3CE20D75&displaylang=enWindows
Media Connect Makes it possible to send music, photos and videos to hi-fi
and TV
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=56FD1B34-48BA-424B-9227-7C10E2E9FFF1Windows
Media Encoder 9-Reihe Tool to convert audio and video files into WMA or WMV
format
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5691ba02-e496-465a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&displaylang=enWindows
Media Mono to Multichannel Wave Combiner 9 Series Makes it possible to
combine several mono WAV files in a single multichannel file
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/utilities.aspxWindows
Media Player 10 Latest version of the Windows Media Player
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/en/player/download/download.aspxWindows
Media Player 10 SDK Development kit for designing skins and visualisations
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/7/E/A7E58606-58A3-429B-AFC0-50159DB5BC13/WMPlayer10SDK.exeWindows
Media Player 9 Creativity Fun Pack Two visualisations and a Blogging Plug-in
for Windows Media Player 9 and 10
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5f87980a-b21a-4819-b9dd-590530e4bac1&displaylang=enWindows
Media Player 9 Tweak MP Power Toy Plug-in User interface customisation tools
for Windows Media Player 9
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/getmore/tweakmp_readme.aspxWindows
Media Player 9 Winter Fun Pack Various Christmas-themed skins and
visualisations
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/wm_create.mspxWindows
Media Video 9 Video Compression Manager Adds WMV support to applications
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/codecs/vcm.aspxWM
Plugins Microsoft page with Plug-ins, Skins and visualisations for Windows
Media Player http://www.wmplugins.com/WMA 9 Pro Channel Mask Mapping Tool
Command line tool for analysing surround sound files
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/utilities.aspxWMA
Lossless to Wave Converter Converts WM A 9 Lossless files to WAV format
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0AF5CE7A-50E9-4FF0-A687-E1F7D231F15E&displaylang=en
TABLE 5 - 25 useful Office and Web utilities Program Function URL3°
Peer-to-peer messaging tool which streams audio and video files
http://www.threedegrees.com/DownloadThreeDegrees.aspx?lang=en-ENExcel
2003-2002 Add-In MSN Money share prices Load, manage and analyse share
prices in Excel
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=485fccd8-9305-4535-b939-3bf0a740a9b1&displaylang=enInternet
Explorer Administration Kit 6 Lets you personalise Microsoft's browser
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ieak/downloads/ieak6/ieak6sp1.mspxLookout
1.2 Tool for searching E-Mails and attachments in Outlook
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=09b835ee-16e5-4961-91b8-2200ba31ea37&displaylang=enMicrosoft
Producer 2 Supplementary program for producing precisely synchronised
presentations
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b3c76d5-fc75-4f99-94bc-784919468e73&displaylang=enMSN
Messenger 6.2 Most up to date version of the messaging client
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b5bfaee-4bfa-42bf-a42e-417d748cefa1&displaylang=enMSN
Toolbar for Internet Explorer Adds extra functionality to the Microsoft
browser
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0F40A6F2-6683-47A8-9DBC-CE618988B5DDOffice
2003/XP add-in for removing hidden data Removes hidden data from Office
documents
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=144e54ed-d43e-42ca-bc7b-5446d34e5360&displaylang=enOffice
Clipart and Media Clipart and media collection
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/default.aspx?lc=en-enOffice File
Converter Pack Collection of file converters for various formats
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CF196DF0-70E5-4595-8A98-370278F40C57&displaylang=enOffice
XP 2000 Addins Office Sounds Collection of system sounds associated with
particular actions
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8bb981d-2a23-4d1a-8310-457c733be290&displaylang=enOffice
XP-Tool Web components Collection of controls to display tables, diagrams
and databases on the web
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=982b0359-0a86-4fb2-a7ee-5f3a499515ddOutlook
2003 Add-ln: PST backup Ensures that PST files are backed up regularly
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8B081F3A-B7D0-4B16-B8AF-5A6322F4FD01&displaylang=enPowerpoint
2003 Add-ln Office Animation Runtime Displays Powerpoint animations in the
browser
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4033a84a-24c7-40b2-8783-d80ada33cff8Powerpoint
2003 Viewer Allows you to view Powerpoint files on computers without
Powerpoint.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=428d5727-43ab-4f24-90b7-a94784af71a4&displaylang=enPowerpoint
template collection Collection of 127 templates for Powerpoint 4.0 and above
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=TC&Query=powerpointProject
2003 Workgroup Message Handler Handles connectivity between Project 2003 and
the Workgroup Message Handler
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6382c615-1090-452c-8eba-4025b8976c18&DisplayLang=enRemote
Desktop Connection Web Connection Software Download Enables web based remote
desktop connections
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=e2ff8fb5-97ff-47bc-bacc-92283b52b310Rights
Management Add-On for Internet Explorer Adds a Rights Management function to
the browser
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=B48F920B-5AF0-46B4-994F-2F62582CC86FSMS
Sender Send SMS messages via a mobile attached to the PC
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=06a4f997-7f69-4891-8929-37b9041924a2&displaylang=enVisio
Ifilter 2003-Add-in Adds the ability to search Visio files to the XP search
function
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DCEE9E09-448B-4386-B901-EFEA29CAC808&displaylang=enVisio
Viewer 2003 Allows you to view Visio files on computers where Visio is not
installed
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3fb3bd5c-fed1-46cf-bd53-da23635ab2df&displaylang=enWindows
Media Player 9 and 10 Add-in for Microsoft Frontpage Adds audio and video
features to the web site editing program
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=98a35ced-f950-4bd8-8e96-adad9335ac77&displaylang=enWindows
Messenger 5.0 Most up-to-date version of the Instant Messenger included with
XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=77c3799f-6388-4193-8002-be55584c1ac1Word
2003 XML Viewer Displays XML documents created in Word as HTML files in
Internet Explorer
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=19676b18-1bcd-4852-93ba-0b5a203ea731&languageid=f49e8428-7071-4979-8a67-3cffcb0c2524&displaylang=en

Vic Dura

Mar 30, 2005, 1:15:07 PM3/30/05
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:10:13 GMT, in alt.comp.freeware RE: Re: 110
Free Microsoft Tools "John Rampling" <Jo...@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

>SUMMARY for those without Excel or spreadsheet application:

Thank you VERY much!

--
See the A.C.F alternative FAQ at http://stalkingsheep.co.uk/antifaq.htm
In an unmoderated NG you can control what you read and what you write.

Vic Dura

Mar 30, 2005, 1:15:06 PM3/30/05
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:30:37 -0800, in alt.comp.freeware RE: Re: 110
Free Microsoft Tools "Jeff Needle" <jeff....@general-net.com>
wrote:

>I looked at it, but it's a HUGE download. Those of us on dial-up kinda
>rebel against huge, resource-hogging things.

Well put.

John Corliss

Mar 30, 2005, 5:19:51 PM3/30/05
Jeff Needle wrote:

Well, that makes sense to me. And by the way, I agree with you that
using a proprietary format is not a good idea. However, at the bottom of
this thread, John Rampling has been nice enough to post everything that
was contained in the .xls files.

Toad

Mar 30, 2005, 9:48:07 PM3/30/05

Download PC 602 Suite from http://www.software602.com/products/

Free for personal use Word Processor (Word compatible), Spreadsheet
(Excel compatible), etc.

It is pretty nice if you don't have or want office.

Toad