Google UnChrome

Arcor-News

Sep 12, 2008, 3:46:08 AM9/12/08
Regarding to Google, "Google Chrome is a browser that combines a minimal
design with sophisticated technology to make the web faster, safer, and
easier". Unfortunately, each Google Chrome installation contains a unique ID
that allowing identifying its user. Google doesn't make it an easy job to
remove this ID. UnChrome helps you with this task. It replaces your unique
ID with Null values so that your browser cannot be identified any longer.
The functionality of Google Chrome is not influenced by this. You only need
to apply UnChrome once.

http://www.bodo-wolff.de

Fred

Sep 12, 2008, 5:26:18 AM9/12/08
"Arcor-News" <bodo...@arcor.de> wrote in message

Excellent freeware site.

Direct link (scroll down): http://www.bodo-wolff.de/?tu=9

--
Fred

occam

Sep 12, 2008, 6:45:44 AM9/12/08

er... is this site hijacked?

I get diverted to
http://</?%20echo%20www.bodo-wolff.de;%20?%3E/?tu=Home&SH=H&SW=W

hummingbird

Sep 12, 2008, 6:57:41 AM9/12/08

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:46:08 +0200 'Arcor-News'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>Regarding to Google, "Google Chrome is a browser that combines a minimal
>design with sophisticated technology to make the web faster, safer, and
>easier". Unfortunately, each Google Chrome installation contains a unique ID
>that allowing identifying its user. Google doesn't make it an easy job to
>remove this ID.

I didn't see anything of this in the Google announcements.
Why would Google want that information?

--
"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,

Ron May

Sep 12, 2008, 7:54:02 AM9/12/08

Direct link to UnChrome

http://www.abelssoft.de/unchrome.php

Page is in German, but you can run it through Google Translate <G>.

--
Ron M. (I filter Googlespam)
Known sock puppets and forged messages are deleted unread.

Franklin

Sep 12, 2008, 7:55:26 AM9/12/08
On Fri 12 Sep08 08:46, Arcor-News <bodo...@arcor.de> wrote in

Nice.

Before Chrome was released there were browser javascripts to zero out
the GUID stored in Google's cookie. This worked for a while until
Google started to detect the zero GUID and would then bounce search
requests. Hope Google doesn't do the same to unChromed versions of
Chrome.

unChrome may not make much difference to some users because Google
also tracks by IP.

How much data storage does Google have to keep all this data?

Message has been deleted

occam

Sep 12, 2008, 8:43:12 AM9/12/08
Ron May wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 12:45:44 +0200, occam <oc...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>> Arcor-News wrote:
>>> Regarding to Google, "Google Chrome is a browser that combines a minimal
>>> design with sophisticated technology to make the web faster, safer, and
>>> easier". Unfortunately, each Google Chrome installation contains a
>>> unique ID that allowing identifying its user. Google doesn't make it an
>>> easy job to remove this ID. UnChrome helps you with this task. It
>>> replaces your unique ID with Null values so that your browser cannot be
>>> identified any longer. The functionality of Google Chrome is not
>>> influenced by this. You only need to apply UnChrome once.
>>>
>>> http://www.bodo-wolff.de
>> er... is this site hijacked?
>>
>> I get diverted to
>> http://</?%20echo%20www.bodo-wolff.de;%20?%3E/?tu=Home&SH=H&SW=W
>
> Direct link to UnChrome
>
> http://www.abelssoft.de/unchrome.php
>
> Page is in German, but you can run it through Google Translate <G>.

Thanks. No need to Google translate, as it turns out.

http://www.abelssoft.net/unchrome.php

Ari

Sep 12, 2008, 10:37:22 AM9/12/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:57:41 +0100, hummingbird wrote:

> I didn't see anything of this in the Google announcements.
> Why would Google want that information?

You're an idiot.
--
http://hanginginthere247.blogspot.com/

Ari

Sep 12, 2008, 10:41:13 AM9/12/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 12:55:26 +0100, Franklin wrote:

> Nice.
>
> Before Chrome was released there were browser javascripts to zero out
> the GUID stored in Google's cookie. This worked for a while until
> Google started to detect the zero GUID and would then bounce search
> requests. Hope Google doesn't do the same to unChromed versions of
> Chrome.
>
> unChrome may not make much difference to some users because Google
> also tracks by IP.
>
> How much data storage does Google have to keep all this data?

Enough. And that is all that matters.
--
http://hanginginthere247.blogspot.com/

fred

Sep 12, 2008, 11:56:46 AM9/12/08
In article <Xns9B17837...@4ax.com>, Franklin
<nev...@red.about.it> writes

>Before Chrome was released there were browser javascripts to zero out
>the GUID stored in Google's cookie. This worked for a while until
>Google started to detect the zero GUID and would then bounce search
>requests. Hope Google doesn't do the same to unChromed versions of
>Chrome.

I have cookies off by default and Google seems happy with that.

>unChrome may not make much difference to some users because Google
>also tracks by IP.

Good point, thank goodness for dynamic IP.
--
fred

Martin Clark

Sep 12, 2008, 12:04:39 PM9/12/08
Franklin <nev...@red.about.it> wrote in news:Xns9B1783787FACFD92F1@
4ax.com:

> On Fri 12 Sep08 08:46, Arcor-News <bodo...@arcor.de> wrote in
>>
>> Regarding to Google, "Google Chrome is a browser that combines a
>> minimal design with sophisticated technology to make the web
>> faster, safer, and easier". Unfortunately, each Google Chrome
>> installation contains a unique ID that allowing identifying its
>> user. Google doesn't make it an easy job to remove this ID.
>> UnChrome helps you with this task. It replaces your unique ID
>> with Null values so that your browser cannot be identified any
>> longer. The functionality of Google Chrome is not influenced by
>> this. You only need to apply UnChrome once.
>>
>> http://www.bodo-wolff.de
>>

> Nice.

Doesn't work with the portable version of Chrome:

http://stadt-bremerhaven.de/

Must be looking in the registry - can't see the program even when run in
the Chrome directory.

> Before Chrome was released there were browser javascripts to zero out
> the GUID stored in Google's cookie. This worked for a while until
> Google started to detect the zero GUID and would then bounce search
> requests. Hope Google doesn't do the same to unChromed versions of
> Chrome.
>
> unChrome may not make much difference to some users because Google
> also tracks by IP.

Maybe that's why Unchrome gets 8010 hits on Google? No point removing it?

Portable Chrome works on a flash drive, so what happens to the cookie?
Goes in \documents and settings\~user~\cookies\ on the host PC?

> How much data storage does Google have to keep all this data?

Well, if you're into world domination ya gotta have enough eh....

Ari

Sep 12, 2008, 1:20:10 PM9/12/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:56:46 +0100, fred wrote:

>>unChrome may not make much difference to some users because Google
>>also tracks by IP.
>>
> Good point, thank goodness for dynamic IP.

Means nothing to Google Chrome that you do.
--
http://hanginginthere247.blogspot.com/

Dan

Sep 12, 2008, 6:26:48 PM9/12/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:46:08 +0200, "Arcor-News" <bodo...@arcor.de>
wrote:

> [UnChrome] replaces your unique

>ID with Null values so that your browser cannot be identified any longer.
>The functionality of Google Chrome is not influenced by this. You only need
>to apply UnChrome once.

For anyone who likes to be hands-on, you can manually make the same
changes that UnChrome makes.

UnChrome changes two client id lines in Chrome's Local State file. You
can find the Local State file in a path similar to... Documents and
Settings\Profle Name\Local Settings\Application
Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\. It's a plaintext file editable in any
text editor.

Change this setting:
"client_id": "13A43641-4782-46C1-B1BB-06FF2FA31FC2",
"client_id_timestamp": "1220799027",
to:
"client_id": "0",
"client_id_timestamp": "0",

This change does persist when you reboot your PC. For me, what remains
to be seen is whether any Chrome updates will "update" the Local State
file back to the original.

Martin Clark, I don't have the portable version. Maybe you could
check to see if the portable version uses a Local State file which
could be changed in the same way.

--
Regards,
Dan

Cawshus

Sep 12, 2008, 6:43:18 PM9/12/08
"Arcor-News" <bodo...@arcor.de> wrote in

> Regarding to Google, "Google Chrome is a browser that combines a

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-steps-to-regain-your-privacy-in-google-
chrome/

--
Steve

Due to the volume of garbage I filter out googlegroups. So do many others.
Gmail posters are currently scored down pending troll filter work.

Ron May

Sep 12, 2008, 7:55:40 PM9/12/08

Even BETTER!

Ron May

Sep 12, 2008, 8:02:26 PM9/12/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:26:48 -0700, Dan <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Change this setting:
> "client_id": "13A43641-4782-46C1-B1BB-06FF2FA31FC2",
> "client_id_timestamp": "1220799027",
> to:
> "client_id": "0",
> "client_id_timestamp": "0",

Nice! In Vista, the path is
C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User
Data\Local State

(Excuse the wrap)

elaich

Sep 13, 2008, 2:20:47 AM9/13/08
Cawshus <YaWontFindIt@Here> wrote in news:Xns9B1858BC0AA69YaWontFindItHere@
203.26.24.228:

> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-steps-to-regain-your-privacy-in-google-
> chrome/

My God, why would anybody even use this POS to begin with? Especially since
you have to jump through all these hoops to make it civil.

Franklin

Sep 13, 2008, 6:36:43 AM9/13/08
On Sat 13 Sep08 07:20, elaich <x@y.z> wrote in

> Cawshus <YaWontFindIt@Here> wrote in
> news:Xns9B1858BC0AA69YaWontFindItHere@ 203.26.24.228:
>
>> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-steps-to-regain-your-privacy-in-g

>> oogle- chrome/

> My God, why would anybody even use this POS to begin with?
> Especially since you have to jump through all these hoops to
> make it civil.

I'm no great fan on Chrome on account of it's many privacy problems
and also because it can't really be customized.

On the other hand I find I do sometimes use it because it's fast,
clean, gives a large view and displays a "stable" page (IYSWIM).

Ron May

Sep 13, 2008, 6:57:47 AM9/13/08
On 13 Sep 2008 06:20:47 GMT, elaich <x@y.z> wrote:

> My God, why would anybody even use this POS to begin with? Especially since
> you have to jump through all these hoops to make it civil.

One point of view (mine) based on using it since 9/2 on a steady
basis, is that, when it comes to web surfing, it's a much faster and
better browser than IE and FF.

The interface takes some getting used to, but the more I play with it,
the more I like its design and function. I've changed the skin to a
3rd party one called Chrome Safarish that is very clean and doesn't
distract as much from the web content.

There are some changes I'd like to see. Probably at the top of the
list is being able to save selected cookies and delete the rest
automatica;lly (along with temporary internet files) when the last
browser window is closed, but those are minor quibbles. I doubt I'll
be going back.

mrrhum

Sep 13, 2008, 9:18:14 AM9/13/08
Ari <DROPTheJo...@gmail.comCAPITALLETTERS> wrote in

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:57:41 +0100, hummingbird wrote:
>
>> I didn't see anything of this in the Google announcements.
>> Why would Google want that information?
>
> You're an idiot.

Nicely explained.

Martin Clark

Sep 13, 2008, 3:49:24 PM9/13/08
Dan <no...@nowhere.com> wrote in

Looks like the issue doesn't arise with the portable version. Nothing in

Documents and Settings\Profle Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Google

\ except \crashreports\ which is empty.

Regards

John Pearce

Sep 13, 2008, 4:18:17 PM9/13/08

It is in the Profil folder in the portable version,
...Chrome\Profil\Local State. The Unchrome program can't find it there,
but it can be edited manually. Not sure how much it would matter, since
theoretically at least every copy of the portable version would have the
same id.

John Pearce

Martin Clark

Sep 13, 2008, 4:26:28 PM9/13/08
Martin Clark <trop...@gmail.com> wrote in news:Xns9B193B5B7627troppo19@
210.8.230.25:

Ooops - wrong - in the portable version the local state file appears in

[drive-directory] \chrome\profil\ and \chrome\profil\user data\

So far, Local State file is only updated in \chrome\profil\ after using and
closing Chrome but the client_id settings remain "0". Haven't checked after
rebooting yet.

Cawshus

Sep 14, 2008, 7:42:39 PM9/14/08
Franklin <nev...@red.about.it> wrote in news:Xns9B1876201C3F7D92F1@
4ax.com:

I like the simple interface of Chrome and use it to perform some tasks
in preference to FF but feel out of control due to lack of knowledge how
to control privacy and malware. No doubt, this will develop over time.

Franklin

Sep 15, 2008, 4:04:30 AM9/15/08
On Mon 15 Sep08 00:42, Cawshus <YaWontFindIt@Here> wrote in

> Franklin <nev...@red.about.it> wrote in
> news:Xns9B1876201C3F7D92F1@ 4ax.com:
>
>> On Sat 13 Sep08 07:20, elaich <x@y.z> wrote in
>>
>>> Cawshus <YaWontFindIt@Here> wrote in
>>> news:Xns9B1858BC0AA69YaWontFindItHere@ 203.26.24.228:

>>> My God, why would anybody even use this POS to begin with?
>>> Especially since you have to jump through all these hoops to
>>> make it civil.
>>

>> I'm no great fan on Chrome on account of it's many privacy
>> problems and also because it can't really be customized.
>>
>> On the other hand I find I do sometimes use it because it's
>> fast, clean, gives a large view and displays a "stable" page
>> (IYSWIM).
>

> I like the simple interface of Chrome and use it to perform some
> tasks in preference to FF but feel out of control due to lack of
> knowledge how to control privacy and malware. No doubt, this
> will develop over time.

Yes, same here. I suspect we might end up with a bunch of
additional plugins if only to provide many of the functions found
in a regular browser.

It happened with Google Search. In that case the plugins were of
uneven quality and the function of some plugins overlapped others.
I ripped them all out in the end.

Message has been deleted

hummingbird

Sep 15, 2008, 8:52:01 AM9/15/08

On 15 Sep 2008 11:17:10 GMT 'ArseClown'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>Ari <DROPTheJo...@gmail.comCAPITALLETTERS> typed in message
>
>> You're an idiot.

>Agreed.

Ari/ArseClown, do you like posting replies agreeing with yourself?
(rhetorical question - I won't see any reply)

From: ArseClown <TheJoos...@gmail.com>
From: Ari <TheJoos...@gmail.com>

There we have it: YET ANOTHER sockpuppet of Ari Silverslime.

--
explanation of Ari's problems on sci.crypt
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.crypt/msg/0b3ab473d05aee78?hl=en

Ari

Sep 15, 2008, 5:03:48 PM9/15/08
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:52:01 +0100, hummingbird wrote:

>>> You're an idiot.
>
>>Agreed.
>
> Ari/ArseClown, do you like posting replies agreeing with yourself?
> (rhetorical question - I won't see any reply)
>
> From: ArseClown <TheJoos...@gmail.com>
> From: Ari <TheJoos...@gmail.com>
>
> There we have it: YET ANOTHER sockpuppet of Ari

Here's a little clue, DipShit. I have never used Xnews in my life.
--
http://hanginginthere247.blogspot.com/

Ari

Sep 15, 2008, 5:07:15 PM9/15/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:04:39 +0000 (UTC), Martin Clark wrote:

> Portable Chrome works on a flash drive, so what happens to the cookie?
> Goes in \documents and settings\~user~\cookies\ on the host PC?

Saved to the stick, same folder as PChrome.
--
http://hanginginthere247.blogspot.com/

Ari

Sep 15, 2008, 6:05:19 PM9/15/08
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:52:01 +0100, hummingbird wrote:

> Ari/ArseClown, do you like posting replies agreeing with yourself?
> (rhetorical question - I won't see any reply)
>
> From: ArseClown <TheJoos...@gmail.com>
> From: Ari <TheJoos...@gmail.com>
>
> There we have it: YET ANOTHER sockpuppet of Ari

While I have your birdbrained attention, Milbank, get out your fucking
notepad fro, your plastic pocket protector and take notes.

Did you stop to look at the NNTP-host and convert the MID IP to long?
1356426295

Of course you didn't because you haven't a fucking clue what I am
talking about. Write fast, this article is X-Archived.

If you had, what would that have told you? Er, not a fucking clue do
you, I ain't telling you either but there are a shitload of people
laffing their ArseClown asses off at you, you simple minded buffoon.

Mebbe he's an Agent fan, sending Clown postings through half a
dozen of remailers and finally via a mail2news gateway to the Usenet?
Look at the MID, which indicates the exit remailer, doesn't it? You
haven't a fucking clue, do you Nitwit?

Does it appear to be a configured "Persona" to set appropriate headers
for controlling his OmniMix proxy server, which is the interface to the
remailer network. It's that easy to accomplish but WTF do you know about
any of ths, Chrissy

Not a fucking thang.

So before you go off and believe every likekind email address (as *proof
positive*) or take another troll from alt.privacy's word on any fucking
thing, get an education. It will do wonders for keeping you from looking
ever like the born-retarded imbecile that you are.

As for being a dicksucker, I can't help you there. Try therapy.
--
http://hanginginthere247.blogspot.com/