OT: Question about film files

Jeffrey Needle

Nov 15, 2009, 3:48:09 PM11/15/09
I've downloaded, through Graboid, a film that I want to copy to DVD and
play on something other than my computer.

Here is a directory that shows the files that the download created:

04/22/2009 12:40 PM 731,011,982 mhq-sleeper.1973.xvid.avi
04/22/2009 12:44 PM 102,453 mhq-sleeper.1973.xvid.idx
04/22/2009 12:44 PM 10,070,016 mhq-sleeper.1973.xvid.sub

I want to copy these files to a DVD so that I can carry it to a friend's
house and watch the movie on their big screen TV.

I'm a complete moron (no news to folks here <grin>) as to:

a) how to properly copy the files to dvd -- is it a straight copy, do I
have to burn the files somehow with a special program, etc.

b) whether these files will show on the TV using its DVD player, or
whether I need to convert the files to another format, freeware to do
this, etc.?

Thanks.

blacky

Nov 15, 2009, 5:25:20 PM11/15/09

Duddits

Nov 15, 2009, 6:57:24 PM11/15/09

Everything you ever wanted to know about DVD video.
http://www.videohelp.com/

regards

Dud
--
Easy ACF Troll filter:
1. Add Franklin, Bear Bottoms, Hummingbird, Ari, David W, Jeffrey Bloss,

Jeffrey Needle

Nov 16, 2009, 1:04:27 AM11/16/09

Downloading now -- thanks!

Jeffrey Needle

Nov 16, 2009, 1:05:46 AM11/16/09
Duddits wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:48:09 -0500, Jeffrey Needle
> <jeff....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've downloaded, through Graboid, a film that I want to copy to DVD and
>> play on something other than my computer.
>>
>> Here is a directory that shows the files that the download created:
>>
>> 04/22/2009 12:40 PM 731,011,982 mhq-sleeper.1973.xvid.avi
>> 04/22/2009 12:44 PM 102,453 mhq-sleeper.1973.xvid.idx
>> 04/22/2009 12:44 PM 10,070,016 mhq-sleeper.1973.xvid.sub
>>
>> I want to copy these files to a DVD so that I can carry it to a friend's
>> house and watch the movie on their big screen TV.
>>
>> I'm a complete moron (no news to folks here<grin>) as to:
>>
>> a) how to properly copy the files to dvd -- is it a straight copy, do I
>> have to burn the files somehow with a special program, etc.
>>
>> b) whether these files will show on the TV using its DVD player, or
>> whether I need to convert the files to another format, freeware to do
>> this, etc.?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Everything you ever wanted to know about DVD video.
> http://www.videohelp.com/
>
> regards
>
> Dud

Bookmarked -- thanks!

Message has been deleted

Jeffrey Needle

Nov 16, 2009, 3:58:26 PM11/16/09
M.L. wrote:

>>> I've downloaded, through Graboid, a film that I want to copy to
>>> DVD and play on something other than my computer.
>>>
>>> Here is a directory that shows the files that the download
>>> created:
>>>
>>> 04/22/2009 12:40 PM 731,011,982 mhq-sleeper.1973.xvid.avi
>>> 04/22/2009 12:44 PM 102,453 mhq-sleeper.1973.xvid.idx
>>> 04/22/2009 12:44 PM 10,070,016 mhq-sleeper.1973.xvid.sub
>
> If the avi is not in the language you prefer and you need to use
> subtitles, use Subrip (vobsub to srt option) to convert the sub/idx
> files to the srt format for subtitle import into your DVD authoring
> program. The sub/idx files are not needed if no subtitles are needed.
>
> Subrip
> http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Subrip

>>> I want to copy these files to a DVD so that I can carry it to a
>>> friend's house and watch the movie on their big screen TV.
>>>
>>> I'm a complete moron (no news to folks here<grin>) as to:
>>>
>>> a) how to properly copy the files to dvd -- is it a straight copy,
>>> do I have to burn the files somehow with a special program, etc.
>>>
>>> b) whether these files will show on the TV using its DVD player,
>>> or whether I need to convert the files to another format, freeware
>>> to do this, etc.?
>
>> http://www.dvdflick.net/
>
> Seconded. Once the avi is loaded and configured, DVD Flick will
> convert, author and burn the DVD without further user intervention.
> Just be careful that you look underneath the multitude of menu
> options.
>
> DVD Flick
> Pros: No reencoding of DVD-compliant MPEG2 files, supports DVD menus
> and auto chapters, burns to DVD, supports AC3 5.1 channel audio, sets
> output by size
> Input: 3G2(Mobile), 3GP(Mobile), AVI, AVS, FLV, HDMOV, MJPG, MKV, MOV,
> MP4(IPOD,PSP,ZUNE), MPEG-PS, MPEG-TS, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, NUT, NSV,
> OGM, QT, RM, SMK, SWF, WMV/ASF
> Output: DVD, ISO, VOB(VIDEO_TS folder)
> OS: Win 2000/XP/Vista
>
> DVD Flick screenshots