Freeware symbol and logo

Vegard Krog Petersen

Nov 12, 2004, 5:18:08 AM11/12/04
I started a thread about this earlier, where I challenged the artistic
and creative among us to make a freeware symbol or logo. My intention
was that it could be used on freeware sites and in freeware programs.

Big thanks to all who responded. But none, with one exception, had any
artistic bone in them, sadly.

But I'm stubborn and refuse to give up! Hope I'm not beating a dead horse...

I'm inspired by the logo contests for programs like 'Sunbird':
http://axentra.net/www/sunbird/logo_contest.html. They use images in
256x256, 48x48, 32x32. I would also like standard banners at 88x31 and
234x60, but everything goes... :-)

*** Anybody out there with free time and and artistic 'bones' ? ***

Some early suggestions were:
- an eagle
- 3?. The number 3 and the symbol ?. The 3 sounds like free
and ware sounds like where which is a question!! Hence freeware = 3?.
- a freeware fairie like FTW's:
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/images/art2.jpg
- a side view of a open hand, sitting on the open hand is a
present/gift(a squareshape with a bow attached)
- a dollar sign with a circle around it and a line through it
[Chris Harney made a image (120x110), but the link to it is dead]

One issue who was raised was the problem of who could use the symbol
(the freeware debate again and again). I'll volunteer (of course!) to
make a site with guidelines... But the criteria ought to be: If it's
'pure' enough for Pricelessware it's good enough for me. Don't worry,
I'll probably stick more closer to JC's criteria than some would like.. ;-)

Well, enough, rambling, back to business:

*** Anybody out there with free time and and artistic 'bones' ? ***

If many respond, we could even vote...

Regards from

--
Vegard Krog Petersen, Norway

My sites:
Solitaire MahJongg: http://home.halden.net/vkp/vkp/index.html
Halma & Chinese Checkers: http://home.no.net/vkp/index.html
Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire: http://home.halden.net/vkp/index.html
My fishy site (fishing games): http://home.no/vkp32/index.html
Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb: http://www.fredrikshald-havfiske.no

Crispy Sea

Nov 12, 2004, 8:06:43 AM11/12/04
sorry peeps, wasn't paying attention. would this do
http://diatribes.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/freeware.html
Peace
Crispy Sea

"Vegard Krog Petersen" <vegard_kro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Son Of Spy

Nov 12, 2004, 10:26:44 AM11/12/04

http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/Freewarelogo1.html

--

Some You Won't Find Anywhere Else...
http://sonofspy3.spymac.net/index.html

. --- . . - - - - - - - - - - - -
/ SOS \ __ / Freeware - - - - - -
/ / \ ( ) / - - - - -
/ / / / / / / \/ \ - - - -
/ / / / / / / : : - - -
/ / / / / ' ' - -
/ / //..\\
=====UU==UU=====
'///||\\\'
' '' '

JoeA

Nov 12, 2004, 10:59:44 AM11/12/04
Son Of Spy wrote:
> Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
>
>> I started a thread about this earlier, where I challenged the artistic
>> and creative among us to make a freeware symbol or logo. My intention
>> was that it could be used on freeware sites and in freeware programs.
>>
>> Big thanks to all who responded. But none, with one exception, had any
>> artistic bone in them, sadly.
>>
>> But I'm stubborn and refuse to give up! Hope I'm not beating a dead
>> horse...
>>
>> I'm inspired by the logo contests for programs like 'Sunbird':
>> http://axentra.net/www/sunbird/logo_contest.html. They use images in
>> 256x256, 48x48, 32x32. I would also like standard banners at 88x31 and
>> 234x60, but everything goes... :-)
>>
>> *** Anybody out there with free time and and artistic 'bones' ? ***
>>

> http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/Freewarelogo1.html

How about the basic $ sign inside the circle with a slash mark through it?
Message has been deleted

Anne Carle

Nov 12, 2004, 6:03:42 PM11/12/04
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:14:44 +0100, Yusuf ben James
<Yusuf67b...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>JoeA <jsal...@atnetscape.net> wrote:
>
>> How about the basic $ sign inside the circle with a slash mark through it?
>

>Not international enough. Hint: the dollar is not the only currency in
>the world. (The slash mark might not be necessary as the value of the
>US dollar wil be zero if the present trend continues)
>
>Yusuf ben James
The dollar sign may not be internationally used, but surely it's
internationally recognized, right?

I think $ in a circle with the slash mark is the best so far. I think
it would be universally understood as "no cost."

Anne

omega

Nov 12, 2004, 6:19:46 PM11/12/04
Anne Carle <aca...@munge.com>:

> The dollar sign may not be internationally used, but surely it's
> internationally recognized, right?
[...]

So is the Euro. Why prefer one over the other?

I prefer the use of neither one. A better way to capture the spirit of
freeware is to not even start out with a -negative.-

Instead, my choice for the symbol would be an image with a shooting star.

That transcends the lower scurrying for monies. The shooting star symbol
is associated with pursing new possibilities, believing in dreams, aspiring
for great acts, (and so on).

--
Karen S.

granpaw

Nov 12, 2004, 6:54:39 PM11/12/04
omega <m...@privacy.net> wrote in

Isn't it also the symbol for a much maligned "power seller" on eBay?

omega

Nov 12, 2004, 7:05:28 PM11/12/04
granpaw <wol...@dadoor.com>:

> omega <m...@privacy.net> wrote in

> > Instead, my choice for the symbol would be an image with a shooting
> > star.
>
> Isn't it also the symbol for a much maligned "power seller" on eBay?

Not an eBay user, so I wouldn't know. The shooting star symbol is such a
fundamental Jungian sort of archetype, that its connotative power would
not be compromised, IMO, even if it were used by some well-known commercial
company. It further is not specific to any one culture. Consider the images
of members in pre-civilized cultures, in contemplation of higher forces
(and so on), casting their eyes to the heavens, the stars.

--
Karen S.

Clive Savage

Nov 12, 2004, 7:07:21 PM11/12/04
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:06:43 -0000, "Crispy Sea"
<cris...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>sorry peeps, wasn't paying attention. would this do
>http://diatribes.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/freeware.html
>Peace
> Crispy Sea

Yes, much better! :-)

Bye for now.

Clive.

Bateau

Nov 13, 2004, 7:28:42 AM11/13/04
Yusuf ben James <Yusuf67b...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>JoeA <jsal...@atnetscape.net> wrote:
>
>> How about the basic $ sign inside the circle with a slash mark through it?
>
>Not international enough. Hint: the dollar is not the only currency in
>the world. (The slash mark might not be necessary as the value of the
>US dollar wil be zero if the present trend continues)

Any foreigner who doesn't know that "$" means "money" is a bit of a
retard.

botsing

Nov 13, 2004, 9:06:25 AM11/13/04
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:28:42 +0800, Bateau <Gam...@work.stomping.aza>
wrote:

The thing I'm missing in this discussion is that the 'free' in freeware
stands for a lot more than alone 'free of charge'.

Usual Suspect

Nov 13, 2004, 9:20:42 AM11/13/04
Well !@ .. I never ....

SO GOOD to see you !

Frank

"Son Of Spy" <sono...@whatever.net> wrote ...

Slarty

Nov 13, 2004, 8:24:38 PM11/13/04
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:28:42 +0800, Bateau wrote:

>>Not international enough. Hint: the dollar is not the only currency in
>>the world. (The slash mark might not be necessary as the value of the
>>US dollar wil be zero if the present trend continues)
>
> Any foreigner who doesn't know that "$" means "money" is a bit of a
> retard.

$ = Dollar

And more than one country denominates its currency in Dollars.

Definition of 'foreigner' depends upon where you're standing. I'm certain,
that we're both foreigners to each other, for which I'm duly grateful, but
we're all foreigners to someone.

I thought, at first, that you must be a USAnian, but you seem to be posting
from Perth (Australia) or thereabouts! Perhaps you're not quite what you
seem to be.......

Cheers,

Roy

miskairal

Nov 14, 2004, 12:17:00 AM11/14/04

Personally I'd prefer it wasn't an animation. If I go to a sight with
something flashing at me I quickly scroll to a spot where I can't see it
or leave the site or if I really need to be there within view of the
animation I turn it off. I'm sure I'm not the only one (or am I weird?).

Cheers
miskairal

MLC

Nov 14, 2004, 4:07:57 AM11/14/04
_miskairal_, domenica 14/nov/2004:

You're not alone. I can't stand animations and blinking or scrolling text.
My reaction is like yours. Then we're at least two weirds ;-)

Crosspost-To: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.freeware.discussion,alt.comp.freeware.games
--
Maria Luisa C - 14/11/2004 9.59.36

Bateau

Nov 14, 2004, 6:48:29 AM11/14/04

You'd have to be some kind of stone age primitive not to know that
dollars are money.

Message has been deleted

Ami Fairchild

Nov 14, 2004, 7:03:28 AM11/14/04
"miskairal" <mehi...@invalid.com> wrote in message

> Personally I'd prefer it wasn't an animation. If I go to a sight with
> something flashing at me I quickly scroll to a spot where I can't see
> it or leave the site or if I really need to be there within view of
> the animation I turn it off. I'm sure I'm not the only one (or am I
> weird?).

No, I do the *exact* same thing. It's too distracting to read the actual
*text* when something is trying to vie for your attention in that way.

Have a great day!

Ami
"Next up on Fox -- When Surgeons Attack"

Ami Fairchild

Nov 14, 2004, 7:04:33 AM11/14/04
"Paul Blarmy" <foxe...@trashmail.net> wrote in message

> The '$' symbol represents a 'string' in programming to some of us.

Only to Basic programmers <g>. Other languages don't have that
restriction ;-).

Anne Carle

Nov 14, 2004, 7:24:08 AM11/14/04
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:58:30 -0000, Paul Blarmy
<foxe...@trashmail.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:48:29 +0800, Bateau wrote...
>
>> >$ = Dollar

>> You'd have to be some kind of stone age primitive not to know that
>> dollars are money.
>

>The '$' symbol represents a 'string' in programming to some of us.

OK, but with a slash through it there would be no confusion with that
interpretation, right?

The circled dollar with a slash through it has the most clarity of
meaning and would be the most universally understood, IMhO.

Anne

Message has been deleted

granpaw

Nov 14, 2004, 8:08:33 AM11/14/04
Anne Carle <aca...@munge.com> wrote in

I have to agree fully!

cheers.....granpaw

Almaria Rephariouski

Nov 14, 2004, 10:10:38 AM11/14/04
Bateau <Gam...@work.stomping.aza> wrote in

> Any foreigner who doesn't know that "$" means "money" is a bit of a
> retard.

Especially as much $$ as they have made over the years:

http://tinyurl.com/5wzlq

Almaria Rephariouski

Nov 14, 2004, 10:23:21 AM11/14/04
> The circled dollar with a slash through it has the most clarity of
> meaning and would be the most universally understood, IMhO.
>
> Anne

Could mean they intend to relieve you of your $'s.

Hmmm. Also possibly understood would something like a caricature wearing
a shirt/blouse with each element/section of fabric mis-matched in color
and pattern and different length sleeves and an asymmetrical collar and
pockets and mismatched buttons and tattered tails, etc? The character
might have the $ symbol with a red circle around it and diagonal cross-
hatch through it tattooed on his/her forehead?

Yay! I vote for that one!

Or, how about a car with 4 different size wheels and mismatched fenders
all the way around and a little hatch for you to stick your head out as
you drive - rather than a windshield - and which is also painted with a
"Soupy Sales" bright multi-colored plaid - but boasts a 10 year warranty?

Hmmm. Maybe not so much - but possibilities abound.

JoeA

Nov 14, 2004, 12:22:15 PM11/14/04
Maybe two symbols are needed, one for free, the harder part would be the
ware symbol.

Susan Bugher

Nov 14, 2004, 1:47:20 PM11/14/04
botsing wrote:

> The thing I'm missing in this discussion is that the 'free' in freeware
> stands for a lot more than alone 'free of charge'.

I agree. Someone suggested a gift-wrapped box. I have a similar
suggestion - a pair of cupped hands holding a diskette - the diskette is
being held out to be taken by those who want it. Wish I was artistic. .
. hope I conveyed the general idea. . .

Susan
Pricelessware: http://www.pricelessware.org
ACF FAQ: http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
ACF wiki: http://www.markcarter.me.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AcfWiki

CHarneyCHRIS

Nov 14, 2004, 6:23:21 PM11/14/04
by the way i suggested the openhand with a gift on it ,not the dollar sign
design.

miskairal

Nov 15, 2004, 4:10:04 AM11/15/04
MLC wrote:

> _miskairal_, domenica 14/nov/2004:

>>Personally I'd prefer it wasn't an animation. If I go to a sight with
>>something flashing at me I quickly scroll to a spot where I can't see it
>>or leave the site or if I really need to be there within view of the
>>animation I turn it off. I'm sure I'm not the only one (or am I weird?).
>>

> You're not alone. I can't stand animations and blinking or scrolling text.
> My reaction is like yours. Then we're at least two weirds ;-)

Ahh, it's nice to think there are a few of us :)

Bateau

Nov 15, 2004, 8:33:22 AM11/15/04
Paul Blarmy <foxe...@trashmail.net> wrote:
>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:48:29 +0800, Bateau wrote...
>
>> >$ = Dollar
>>
>> You'd have to be some kind of stone age primitive not to know that
>> dollars are money.
>
>The '$' symbol represents a 'string' in programming to some of us.

"No strings" software could be taken to mean the same thing.

Rod

Nov 15, 2004, 9:08:18 AM11/15/04

> You'd have to be some kind of stone age primitive not to know that
> dollars are money.

You'd have to be some 20th century primitive not to know that £ and € are
even more money.

--
Rod
Listening to http://www.stubru.be/luisterlive/streams/high.html

Clive Savage

Nov 15, 2004, 3:51:10 PM11/15/04
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:47:20 -0500, Susan Bugher
<whoise...@kvi.net> wrote:

>botsing wrote:
>
>> The thing I'm missing in this discussion is that the 'free' in freeware
>> stands for a lot more than alone 'free of charge'.
>
>I agree. Someone suggested a gift-wrapped box. I have a similar
>suggestion - a pair of cupped hands holding a diskette - the diskette is
>being held out to be taken by those who want it. Wish I was artistic. .
>. hope I conveyed the general idea. . .
>
>Susan

Like this? http://free.hostdepartment.com/L/Lakesguy/cuppedhands.gif

Bye for now.

Clive.

Susan Bugher

Nov 15, 2004, 4:30:36 PM11/15/04
Clive Savage wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:47:20 -0500, Susan Bugher
> <whoise...@kvi.net> wrote:
>>botsing wrote:

>>>The thing I'm missing in this discussion is that the 'free' in freeware
>>>stands for a lot more than alone 'free of charge'.
>>
>>I agree. Someone suggested a gift-wrapped box. I have a similar
>>suggestion - a pair of cupped hands holding a diskette - the diskette is
>>being held out to be taken by those who want it. Wish I was artistic. .
>>. hope I conveyed the general idea. . .

> Like this? http://free.hostdepartment.com/L/Lakesguy/cuppedhands.gif

Yes!!! :) :) :)

Rudy Versele

Nov 15, 2004, 5:24:26 PM11/15/04
Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:

> My sites:
> Solitaire MahJongg: http://home.halden.net/vkp/vkp/index.html
> Halma & Chinese Checkers: http://home.no.net/vkp/index.html
> Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire: http://home.halden.net/vkp/index.html
> My fishy site (fishing games): http://home.no/vkp32/index.html
> Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb: http://www.fredrikshald-havfiske.no

A nice idea. If you ever find a nice logo I will used on my site.
But it would be much better if we had a symbol for all kind of stuff. From freeware to
software. At least one for pure freeware, one for "free" adware, one for demo's and
trials, shareware, abandonware and software.
In fact I should love to have a logo for freeware that uses an install shield, and one
that doesn't use that.

Yeah.. I feel it, it will be impossible...
Rudy
http://www.caiman.us

Vegard Krog Petersen

Nov 15, 2004, 6:35:33 PM11/15/04
Rudy Versele wrote:

> A nice idea. If you ever find a nice logo I will used on my site.
> But it would be much better if we had a symbol for all kind of stuff. From freeware to
> software. At least one for pure freeware, one for "free" adware, one for demo's and
> trials, shareware, abandonware and software.
> In fact I should love to have a logo for freeware that uses an install shield, and one
> that doesn't use that.
>
> Yeah.. I feel it, it will be impossible...
> Rudy http://www.caiman.us

And people call me demanding! ;-)

cheers!

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

My sites:
Solitaire MahJongg: http://home.halden.net/vkp/vkp/
Chinese Checkers: http://home.no.net/vkp/

Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire: http://home.halden.net/vkp/

My fishy site (fishing games): http://home.no/vkp32/

Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb: http://www.fredrikshald-havfiske.no

omega

Nov 16, 2004, 3:05:42 AM11/16/04
Rod <re...@group.please>:

> Bateau <Gam...@work.stomping.aza> wrote in
>
> > You'd have to be some kind of stone age primitive not to know that
> > dollars are money.
>
> You'd have to be some 20th century primitive not to know that £ and € are
> even more money.

<BG>

--
Karen S.

Vegard Krog Petersen

Nov 16, 2004, 1:16:28 PM11/16/04
Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
> I started a thread about this earlier, where I challenged the artistic
> and creative among us to make a freeware symbol or logo. My intention
> was that it could be used on freeware sites and in freeware programs.
>
> Hope I'm not beating a dead horse...

The horse is alive, but perhaps not kicking! ;-)

Thanks to all who responded and their ideas. It seems it was to
optimistic to except a lot of icons, banners, symbols and logos in
different sizes. But some have created images that could be used as a
freeware symbol or logo.

I'll wait for perhaps some more response the next week. Then I'll
collect the suggestions we already have and start a new thread where we
can vote.

Regards from vegard

Crispy Sea

Nov 19, 2004, 2:59:11 AM11/19/04
I know I sent this earlier but as nobody seems to have had a look, would
this do
http://diatribes.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/freeware.html
this covers all currencies and is therefore not American egocentric. so not
offensive to those who have a problem with the US(or any other country)
perhaps the US can't deal with that ('world series' baseball)
Peace
Crispy Sea

"omega" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> Rod <re...@group.please>:
> >
> > Bateau <Gam...@work.stomping.aza> wrote in
> >
> > > You'd have to be some kind of stone age primitive not to know that
> > > dollars are money.
> >

> > You'd have to be some 20th century primitive not to know that £ and ?

Vegard Krog Petersen

Nov 19, 2004, 3:00:58 AM11/19/04
Crispy Sea wrote:
> I know I sent this earlier but as nobody seems to have had a look, would
> this do
> http://diatribes.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/freeware.html
> this covers all currencies and is therefore not American egocentric. so not
> offensive to those who have a problem with the US(or any other country)
> perhaps the US can't deal with that ('world series' baseball)
> Peace
> Crispy Sea

I've seen it! :-)
Nice one.

I'm preparing a vote contest later this month!

regards from vegard

MLC

Nov 19, 2004, 9:19:51 AM11/19/04
_Crispy Sea_, venerdě 19/nov/2004:

> I know I sent this earlier but as nobody seems to have had a look, would
> this do
> http://diatribes.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/freeware.html
> this covers all currencies and is therefore not American egocentric. so not
> offensive to those who have a problem with the US(or any other country)
> perhaps the US can't deal with that ('world series' baseball)
> Peace

It's better than the other one, however I think it limits the meaning of
freeware to that of no money involved. IMO it's crucial that we avoid this
misunderstanding, so in this respect I prefer the other one I saw (that with
the hands and the diskette), though I'd like better a more stylized one.

Just my personal view. Actually my artistic abilities are less than those of
my dog!
--
Maria Luisa C - 19/11/2004 14.57.07

Susan Bugher

Nov 19, 2004, 10:15:21 AM11/19/04
MLC wrote:

> It's better than the other one, however I think it limits the meaning of
> freeware to that of no money involved. IMO it's crucial that we avoid this
> misunderstanding, so in this respect I prefer the other one I saw (that with
> the hands and the diskette), though I'd like better a more stylized one.

I like that one too. IMO the diskette is a good symbol for software.
ISTM a bit more is needed to clearly symbolize the free aspect. Maybe a
ribbon and bow?

or. . .

Leave out the hands - show the diskette with wings (angel wings?) and a
ribbon and bow?

or????

> Just my personal view. Actually my artistic abilities are less than those of
> my dog!

You are not alone. ;)

Crispy Sea

Nov 20, 2004, 10:36:44 AM11/20/04
the cupped hands seems more suggestive of caring for the diskette than
giving it away
crispy
"Susan Bugher" <whoise...@kvi.net> wrote in message
Message has been deleted

MLC

Dec 4, 2004, 2:16:58 PM12/4/04
_Antoine_, sabato 04/dic/2004:

> Vegard Krog Petersen <vegard_kro...@hotmail.com> wrote :

>> I started a thread about this earlier, where I challenged the
>> artistic and creative among us to make a freeware symbol or logo.
>> My intention was that it could be used on freeware sites and in
>> freeware programs.
>

> I just want to express my opinion about the alt.comp.freeware logo.
> Imho, it should :
>
> - be rather non animated
> - rather computer/software related than fairie/elf related
> - have neutral colors (not flashy) that could suit several types of
> sites
> - mention 'freeware' and 'alt.comp.freeware' and preferably
> nothing else.
>
> Of course, these are only my 2 cents.

Add other 2 cents from me.

Crosspost-To: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.freeware.discussion,alt.comp.freeware.games
--
Maria Luisa C - 04/12/2004 20.16.11
Programmer: A red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of