Paint Shop Pro X is free!

elaich

Jul 16, 2009, 9:30:21 PM7/16/09

UnsteadyKen

Jul 16, 2009, 10:06:11 PM7/16/09
elaich wrote..

> Seriously.
>
> http://apps.corel.com/lp/lexar/4157/index.html?trkid=lexarstarterpspx

Thank you very much, that is an excellent app.

It is a 106Mb download on a superfast server, I got 850kbs download
speed.

--
Ken
http://unsteadyken.110mb.com/

vee...@snowcrest.net

Jul 16, 2009, 10:10:27 PM7/16/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:30:21 +0000 (UTC), elaich <x@y.z> wrote:

>Seriously.
>
>http://apps.corel.com/lp/lexar/4157/index.html?trkid=lexarstarterpspx

Oh, sure. Since I paid for it ages ago.... Ah, well. Publishjers
Clearing House never knocks on my door, Brinks trucks don't spill
their loads when I am behind them, the day after I refinance, interest
rates drop lower, bigger and faster computer things apper after I just
bought a new system, I find a program I like and support for it ends
the next day, I find a great tv show, and it gets pulled..... LOL

Why Tea

Jul 16, 2009, 11:01:31 PM7/16/09
On Jul 17, 11:30 am, elaich <x...@y.z> wrote:
> Seriously.
>
> http://apps.corel.com/lp/lexar/4157/index.html?trkid=lexarstarterpspx

Thanks. It's a great app and I think it's design
is more intuitive than GIMP.

Nicetameetya

Jul 16, 2009, 11:19:23 PM7/16/09
[Default] On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:30:21 +0000 (UTC), elaich <x@y.z>
told us in complete confidence:

>Seriously.
>
>http://apps.corel.com/lp/lexar/4157/index.html?trkid=lexarstarterpspx

Thanks for the heads-up. The download was very fast ...

elaich

Jul 17, 2009, 12:09:59 AM7/17/09
vee...@snowcrest.net wrote in news:d2nv555dgk4v1fvafulibjnts5oi8q9m0l@
4ax.com:

I merely stumbled on it myself.

At least you live in the right part of the world. @snowcrest.net ;)

POKO

Jul 17, 2009, 12:41:04 AM7/17/09
In article <4drv55h7fmmm67h86...@4ax.com>,
gd...@invalid.invalid says...
Yup, got it - thanks. Is this a straight version or with something
special built in. Wanna know if I should uninstall my older version to
go with this one,
--

Best - POKO

VanguardLH

Jul 17, 2009, 3:30:58 AM7/17/09
elaich wrote:

> Seriously.
>
> http://apps.corel.com/lp/lexar/4157/index.html?trkid=lexarstarterpspx

See here what is missing in version X that is available in later
versions. If nothing pops out at you that you need it then you probably
won't use it.

http://www.corel.com/img/content/products/psppx2/corel-paint-shop-pro-photo-x2-past-version-comparison.pdf

Me.Here

Jul 17, 2009, 4:16:09 AM7/17/09

MH

John Corliss

Jul 17, 2009, 4:31:40 AM7/17/09

Easier for others to simply copy and paste the missing features like
this (note, the following are NOT features of the X version you would be
downloading):
Raw format camera support — Receive support for more than 250 raw formats

Background Remover Plug-in — Delete background distractions or move
parts of an image to a different photo

Corel® Painter™ Photo Essentials 4 — Turn your favorite photos into
paintings by hand or in 3 easy steps

Media Recovery Software — Recover images, movies and sound files from
reformatted memory cards.

150 Creative Extras — Brighten up images with new, custom-made photo
frames, photo edges and Picture Tubesâ„¢

2 GB USB Flash Drive — Back up files. Compatible with any PC

Certified for Windows Vista®

Graphite Workspace – Enjoy an all new look!

HDR Photo Merge – Automatically combine different exposures to make the
perfect picture

Thinify and Eye Drops — Look thinner or bright-eyed with just a click

Auto-Preserve Originals — Automatically store a copy of your original photo

Visible Watermark – Trademark and brand your photos and your photography

30 Picture Tubes™ & 30 Picture Frames – Add all new professional, modern
designs to your artbrush

Layer Styles – Add drop shadows, embossing, reflections and more.

Corel MediaOne Plus — Create multimedia shows with transitions,
background music and motion effects

Color Changer Tool

Depth of Field

Time Machine Filter & Photo Looks

Makeover Tool - Skin Smoother

Of these, IMO the Color Changer Tool would be nice to have, but oh well.
Photofiltre has that tool and it works very well. Also, I guess the RAW
format support would be nice to have as well but not a deal killer for me.

My thanks to elaich for the link!

--
John Corliss BS206. I use nFilter to block all Google Groups posts
because of Googlespam. No ad, cd, commercial, cripple, demo, dotnet,

2008 Pricelessware list: http://www.geocities.com/rtd3ws/08PWlist.html

VanguardLH

Jul 17, 2009, 4:33:24 AM7/17/09
VanguardLH wrote:

During its install (in a virtual machine), it asks how often to "remind"
you to download some "free content". There is no "Never remind me"
option. Hopefully disabling the auto-update option will eliminate
getting pestered at periodic intervals to go download some other free
but unwanted stuff. That is, hopefully there isn't a nag built into
this free version.

Quilljar

Jul 17, 2009, 5:57:26 AM7/17/09

> During its install (in a virtual machine), it asks how often to "remind"
> you to download some "free content". There is no "Never remind me"
> option. Hopefully disabling the auto-update option will eliminate
> getting pestered at periodic intervals to go download some other free
> but unwanted stuff. That is, hopefully there isn't a nag built into
> this free version.

But surely, being able to limit the reminder to once a month is well worth
it for a free version of such a good qualty program. After all, that is why
you get it for free....

Quilly

LouB

Jul 17, 2009, 6:28:18 AM7/17/09
And thank you for the added info.

Lou

Ron May

Jul 17, 2009, 6:55:17 AM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:30:21 +0000 (UTC), elaich <x@y.z> wrote:

> Seriously.
>
> http://apps.corel.com/lp/lexar/4157/index.html?trkid=lexarstarterpspx

FANTASTIC! You'll want to use a throwaway email, of course, but I've
never downloaded a 100MB+ file as fast as this one (1400-1500kBs).

--
Ron M.
Help improve the ACF experience. Please don't feed the trolls.

Ron May

Jul 17, 2009, 7:26:10 AM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 05:55:17 -0500, Ron May <may...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:30:21 +0000 (UTC), elaich <x@y.z> wrote:
>
> > Seriously.
> >
> > http://apps.corel.com/lp/lexar/4157/index.html?trkid=lexarstarterpspx
>
> FANTASTIC! You'll want to use a throwaway email, of course, but I've
> never downloaded a 100MB+ file as fast as this one (1400-1500kBs).

Hmmmmm. Serious nagware here when I close program, even when I
switched to monthly reminder. I'll try a reboot and see if it makes a
difference.

Message has been deleted

Ron May

Jul 17, 2009, 7:48:14 AM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 06:26:10 -0500, Ron May <may...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 05:55:17 -0500, Ron May <may...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:30:21 +0000 (UTC), elaich <x@y.z> wrote:
> >
> > > Seriously.
> > >
> > > http://apps.corel.com/lp/lexar/4157/index.html?trkid=lexarstarterpspx
> >
> > FANTASTIC! You'll want to use a throwaway email, of course, but I've
> > never downloaded a 100MB+ file as fast as this one (1400-1500kBs).
>
> Hmmmmm. Serious nagware here when I close program, even when I
> switched to monthly reminder. I'll try a reboot and see if it makes a
> difference.

Nope. Get a nag screen on every program exit, even after selecting a
30 day reminder:

"If you like what you see here, you will love all the new features and
tools found in Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI!"

Can't find an obvious way to kill it. Haven't uninstalled yet, but
the exit advertisement makes it major nagware IMHO.

Dave

Jul 17, 2009, 7:57:55 AM7/17/09

I think the free content is just some extra patterns,frames,tubes,etc.It
did that to me when I bought PSPX a couple years ago.($10 bucks on a
Labor Day special at Frys).The download is really just a request for an
email address,registration,give em a junk one and away you go.No more nag.

Dave

--
Registered Linux user # 444770

Bjorn S.

Jul 17, 2009, 8:03:58 AM7/17/09
elaich wrote in <h3ok7c$l56$1...@news.albasani.net>:

>Seriously.
>
>http://apps.corel.com/lp/lexar/4157/index.html?trkid=lexarstarterpspx

Google (on corel lexar) found another

Corel Painter Essentials 4
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Development/LexarPE4BundlePromo&lc=en

Unfamiliar with this app my self. I notice part of the link reads
"BundlePromo", so I would expect it to be adware in one form or
another.

--
All the best,
Bjorn S.

Message has been deleted

Bjorn S.

Jul 17, 2009, 9:27:46 AM7/17/09
goofy wrote in <elt065pjgvf0lgch5...@4ax.com>:

>On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 06:48:14 -0500, Ron May <may...@hotmail.com>
>wrote:

>>Nope. Get a nag screen on every program exit, even after selecting a
>>30 day reminder:

>>Can't find an obvious way to kill it. Haven't uninstalled yet, but

>>the exit advertisement makes it major nagware IMHO.
>

>You can't kill it. I thought that the nagware was file AM.dll located
>in the PSP directory, so I set XP to prevent the activation of that
>file, and still the nagscreen came up. I have no idea on how to kill
>that god damned nagscreen. God, how Ihate those damned nagscreens.

See post #18 and #19 in this forum thread:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f58/free-download-corel-paint-shop-pro-x-software-271555/

The solution offered there:

Procedure to remove nag screen:
1. After installing, open the following file in Notepad:
C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro X\PCUUI\Container.htm
2. Erase all the text, replace it with the following code:

Code:

<script type="text/javascript">
location="pcucmd://Cancel?confirm=no";
</script>

3. Save the file.

Have not installed the program my self so have not tried this.

Message has been deleted

Roger Hunt

Jul 17, 2009, 10:50:15 AM7/17/09

Thank you. Very good, and even better to have read about the nag screen
cure.
--
Roger Hunt

Thip

Jul 17, 2009, 11:08:22 AM7/17/09

<gummie bear> wrote in message

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:30:21 +0000 (UTC), elaich <x@y.z> wrote:
>
>>Seriously.
>>
>>http://apps.corel.com/lp/lexar/4157/index.html?trkid=lexarstarterpspx
>
> Installed it, and found it is V10.10 of PSP from 2005. Quite
> outdated.

Roman numeral X = 10

K3

Jul 17, 2009, 11:32:49 AM7/17/09
goofy wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 06:48:14 -0500, Ron May <may...@hotmail.com>

> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 06:26:10 -0500, Ron May <may...@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Hmmmmm. Serious nagware here when I close program, even when I
>>> switched to monthly reminder. I'll try a reboot and see if it
>>> makes a difference.
>>
>> Nope. Get a nag screen on every program exit, even after selecting a
>> 30 day reminder:
>>
>> "If you like what you see here, you will love all the new features
>> and tools found in Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI!"
>>
>> Can't find an obvious way to kill it. Haven't uninstalled yet, but
>> the exit advertisement makes it major nagware IMHO.
>
> You can't kill it. I thought that the nagware was file AM.dll located
> in the PSP directory, so I set XP to prevent the activation of that
> file, and still the nagscreen came up. I have no idea on how to kill
> that god damned nagscreen. God, how Ihate those damned nagscreens.

Anyone else notice the "ProtexisLicensing" service that it installed. It
must be set to Automatic and Started for Corel Paint Shop Pro X to run. I
tried setting the service to Manual to see if it would start the service
only when needed, but nope, it must already be running. I'll have to create
a batch file to start the service, run the program, then stop the service.

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

"Support Bacteria - It's the only culture some people have!"

Dos-Man 64

Jul 17, 2009, 11:51:02 AM7/17/09
On Jul 17, 10:32 am, "K3" <k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com> wrote:
> goofy wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 06:48:14 -0500, Ron May <may...@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:

> k3@(86_the_Spam)Maine.rr.comhttp://home.maine.rr.com/k3
>
> "Support Bacteria - It's the only culture some people have!"- Hide quoted text -

Many consider PSP to be spyware. There was quite an uproar over this
at one point. The service apparently eats up 3 megs of RAM even when
PSP isn't running. Disabling the service will cause the software to
demand that you reinstall the whole package.

dos-man

Quilljar

Jul 17, 2009, 12:14:25 PM7/17/09

> Installed it, and found it is V10.10 of PSP from 2005. Quite
> outdated.

That makes it the most modern bit of software on my machine!
I have been using Adobe Photoshop from 1998 !!!

Quilly
Bookstore

http://stores.lulu.com/quilljar

Message has been deleted

pete

Jul 17, 2009, 1:15:36 PM7/17/09
There is at least one website (you'll have to search, I forget it's location)
that tells you how to disable this. Briefly, it involves deleteing, moving
and renaming some DLLs. You still get the nagware screen when you shut the
application - asking you to buy it, but it seems to get rid of the intrusive
stuff.
Message has been deleted

UnsteadyKen

Jul 17, 2009, 1:40:44 PM7/17/09
Bjorn S. wrote..

> The solution offered there:
>
> Procedure to remove nag screen:
> 1. After installing, open the following file in Notepad:
> C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro X\PCUUI\Container.htm
> 2. Erase all the text, replace it with the following code:
>
> Code:
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> location="pcucmd://Cancel?confirm=no";
> </script>
>
> 3. Save the file.
>
> Have not installed the program my self so have not tried this.

Yo! That works for me. Ta.

--
Ken
http://unsteadyken.110mb.com/

Message has been deleted

VanguardLH

Jul 17, 2009, 2:09:36 PM7/17/09
Quilljar wrote:

Sandboxie is very good sandbox software, too, but its once-per-day nag
after the 1-month trial for this trialware-turned-nagware isn't worth
(to me) the value of the product. It also smacks of phone-home
software; however, if it is tied to the auto-update option then
disabling that would get rid of the nag. Unless someone here uses it
for a week or month (for the configurable reminder interval), I won't
find out until I decide to trial this program when I have time later to
do so. Even if what is nagged is also free, I don't care for nagware.

My definition of good quality freeware is that it does NOT phone-home,
NEVER nags, and doesn't degenerate into adware or those "features" can
be disabled. To me, the freeware "lure" is not to get nagged about more
free or paid content but that there is more in the payware version that
I would decide later I wanted and was willing to pay for it. The
freeware version must stand on its own to provide reasonable use of it.
It is itself the advertisement for a payware version.

I don't doubt that PaintShop Pro is excellent software (even in the
older version distributed as freeware). Time will tell if its reminders
can be truly disabled.

Franklin >

Jul 17, 2009, 2:19:09 PM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:09:36 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> Our society is breeding a generation of panty waisted sissy marys who
> quake at the thought pushing the envelope. Without anti lock brakes
> and GPS I couldn't find my collective arse to wipe off the dingle
> berries. Thank God I'll die politically correct with a full load of
> estrogen coursing through my manly 10" arms and smooth satiny 12"
> pencil neck.

Well yeah, Monkey... See the Stall thread about all the Sunday Blue sky
cowboys who crap their satin panties when they get some buffet let
alone a full stall. I love them, the near-death feeling brings *me*
alive.

I wear Vasque Sundowners most of the time. Look them up. You couldn't
afford them along side your taxpayer funded video games because even so
called enlightened societal structures know useless assholes like you
don't deserve that standard of living. Fact is, you own no such thing
for two reasons. You're a bloodsucker who doesn't rate them of course,
and you don't spend enough time standing upright to warrant owning
shoes in the first place.

It's obvious someone struck a nerve, you actually do realize how much
alike you and Dudley Henriques are, and you're lying your ass off trying
to win back a bit of the dignity you never had.

Sorry it didn't work out. ;)

David W

Jul 17, 2009, 2:25:38 PM7/17/09

FranklinSlime, I did have to butt in to remind the rec.av folks that you
have never flown anything except Flight X. It is reported it took you
three days to learn to taxi, run-up and roll out. :)

And, no, elevators aren't used to reach the cockpit and no, AoA is not
from how high you flat spin into the ground either.

As you "fly" further and further from reality, and further and further
into your world of aviatory delusion, keep this tidbit in mind.

Nothing you do is useful. You very rarely even come up with a good
idea, and when the blind squirrel principal does kick in (astoundingly,
you've seem to even defeat random chance with your incompetence), you
manage to cock it up so badly that what might have been a useful thing
in a normal person's hands turns to low-grade fertilizer.

Your two claims to fame. 1) Being a complete flake who can't keep even
the simplest of things on track for any significant period of time, and
2) being an absolute moron when it comes to understanding what's useful
to the aviation community, and implementing it.

I end with this ditty which so reminds us of you.

"He is a self-made man & worships his creator." - John Bright
--
PWH and the Pricelessware Con Game - Exposed
http://tinyurl.com/knogy8

Gezellig

Jul 17, 2009, 2:29:11 PM7/17/09

>> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:09:36 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> Our society is breeding a generation of panty waisted sissy marys who
>>> quake at the thought pushing the envelope. Without anti lock brakes
>>> and GPS I couldn't find my collective arse to wipe off the dingle
>>> berries. Thank God I'll die politically correct with a full load of
>>> estrogen coursing through my manly 10" arms and smooth satiny 12"
>>> pencil neck.

<snipped>

Of course I snip your nonsense. Just because you've wandered into a
quagmire of inanities, irrelevancies, and stupidities doesn't mean I
have to follow you in.

David W

Jul 17, 2009, 2:31:11 PM7/17/09

Leave Vanguard alone, He has recently been outed as a tally-whacking
weirdo without any social skills, hairy palms and murky, thick liquid
dripping from his hands.

Not to mention, he smells like the bottom of a Clorox bottle.

Raymond Staton

Jul 17, 2009, 2:34:25 PM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:19:09 -0400, Franklin wrote:

You know, you think you (and your puppets) way of
....uh...."writing"....is as a "big, badass on Usenet." Do you not
realize It actually comes across more like white trailer trash? Someone
of any intellect at all doesn't need to write things like.....

" Especially when a leg humping twaddler like you steps in to be the
pivot bitch. Welcome aboard sweetie. Do them teeth come out?"

"Just stick your fat head between your legs and get a good whiff of
your own ass."

"Fuck you, everyone who smells as bad as you do, and the fucking horse
that rode your ignorant ass through the door Frankie."

NOBODY who talks and writes like that to prove themselves as a "big
mean dog on Usenet" has an ounce of respect from anybody. It's a funny
thing, go figure, there's just something about that white trailer trash
talk that grates on the nerves of any one with a lick of sense.

OK, I admit, I had to get the last word in. Your trailer talk just
demands a decent white man's back hand.

--
I hunt, I cut grass, I clean pools...all to pay my ex-wife her alimony.
Isn't my life peachy keen?

Gezellig

Jul 17, 2009, 2:35:44 PM7/17/09

I won't have you talking to a "real pilot" like Franklin, Ray, not like
that, no way.

OK, carry on.

Gezellig

Jul 17, 2009, 2:36:43 PM7/17/09

He's from Wyoming, I presume.

Where Men Are Men... And The Sheep Are Scared

David W

Jul 17, 2009, 2:38:21 PM7/17/09

Jesus loves Nanguard... It's everyone else that thinks he's an asshole.

vee...@snowcrest.net

Jul 17, 2009, 4:08:18 PM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 04:09:59 +0000 (UTC), elaich <x@y.z> wrote:

>vee...@snowcrest.net wrote in news:d2nv555dgk4v1fvafulibjnts5oi8q9m0l@
>4ax.com:

>> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:30:21 +0000 (UTC), elaich <x@y.z> wrote:
>>
>>>Seriously.
>>>
>>>http://apps.corel.com/lp/lexar/4157/index.html?trkid=lexarstarterpspx
>>

>> Oh, sure. Since I paid for it ages ago.... Ah, well. Publishjers
>> Clearing House never knocks on my door, Brinks trucks don't spill
>> their loads when I am behind them, the day after I refinance, interest
>> rates drop lower, bigger and faster computer things apper after I just
>> bought a new system, I find a program I like and support for it ends
>> the next day, I find a great tv show, and it gets pulled..... LOL
>
>I merely stumbled on it myself.
>
>At least you live in the right part of the world. @snowcrest.net ;)
I am kinda partial to this part of the world after living in so many
others most of my life. I can soak up the sun or play in the snow the
same day... or even do both at the same time,,,, long as I don't
fall.... LOL

vee...@snowcrest.net

Jul 17, 2009, 4:11:21 PM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 00:41:04 -0400, POKO <pok...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In article <4drv55h7fmmm67h86...@4ax.com>,
>gd...@invalid.invalid says...
>> [Default] On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:30:21 +0000 (UTC), elaich <x@y.z>
>> told us in complete confidence:
>>
>> >Seriously.
>> >
>> >http://apps.corel.com/lp/lexar/4157/index.html?trkid=lexarstarterpspx
>>
>> Thanks for the heads-up. The download was very fast ...
>>
>Yup, got it - thanks. Is this a straight version or with something
>special built in. Wanna know if I should uninstall my older version to
>go with this one,

As I recall, you can install X and still retail your version... just
can't run both at the same time. There is a newsgroup devoted to
Paint Shop.

Angus Johnson

Jul 17, 2009, 6:29:17 PM7/17/09

> I have just installed Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate (12.50), and
> there are a few changes to the above instructions.
>
> * First, open up services.msc and find the Protexis Licensing V2
> sevice. Stop it and set it to Disabled.
> * Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Protexis\License Service
> * Rename PsiService_2.exe to PsiService_2.bak
> * Copy PSIKey_2.dll to C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro
> Photo X2
> * Rename PsiClient.dll to PsiClient.bak
> * Rename PSIKey_2.dll to PsiClient.dll
>
> Note - I tried the above several times and PSP just reinstalled the 3
> files. The files had to be stored somewhere on the HD. So I thought
> that the Installation File directory could be the source. Renamed the
> installation direction, and the files couldn't be restored. Starting
> PSP and it bombed horribly. Blanking Corel covered their ass pretty
> good on this one.

I have PSP Photo X2 12.01 and was able to disable the ProtexisLicensing service with a slight
modification of the above ...

1. Run services.msc to stop and set to manual the ProtexisLisensing service.
2. Rename PsiService.exe to PsiService_bak.exe in C:\Windows\System32
3. Rename PsiClient.dll to PsiClient_bak.dll in the folder where PSP is installed
4. Copy PsiKey.dll from C:\Windows\System32 to the folder where PSP is installed and then rename it
PsiClient.dll
5. Rename PsiKey.dll to PsiKey_bak.dll in C:\Windows\System32 (it's possible that this is unnecessary).

Ron May

Jul 17, 2009, 7:03:06 PM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:27:46 +0200, Bjorn S. <bsus...@broadpark.no>
wrote:

> Procedure to remove nag screen:
> 1. After installing, open the following file in Notepad:
> C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro X\PCUUI\Container.htm
> 2. Erase all the text, replace it with the following code:
>
> Code:
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> location="pcucmd://Cancel?confirm=no";
> </script>
>
> 3. Save the file.

That did ir! Many thanks, Bjorn!

--
Ron M.
Help improve the ACF experience. Please don't feed the trolls.
New to the group? Check out http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/
and try to ignore the threads that aren't freeware related.

Ron May

Jul 17, 2009, 7:14:56 PM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:32:49 -0400, "K3"
<k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com> wrote:

> I'll have to create
> a batch file to start the service, run the program, then stop the service.

If you get around to doing that, would you please post it here?

Ron May

Jul 17, 2009, 7:23:27 PM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:24:58 -0500, goofy wrote:

> ...upon manually disabling the Protexis Licensing
> service, Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo will cease functioning, stating
> "This copy of Paint Shop Pro has been damaged or illegally modified.
> Please reinstall from your original source.

Retarting the service, then running PSP, makes things work again and
the nag screen on exit is srill gone. At that point, you can
stop/kill the service. PITA, sure, but if "K3" comes up with a .bat
file to do it, I'm good to go.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

RoseW

Jul 17, 2009, 11:09:20 PM7/17/09

<vee...@snowcrest.net> wrote in message

Two versions can be open at the same time.
There are some tools in v9 that changed in V10 One is Clarify. Users will
keep V9 open in order to make use of that tool on an image started in
version X
I have version 12 as the main version but the curves adjustment has changed
radically so I keep V10 open if I want to use the better routine available.
The only reason I updated to Vx2U was the older versions couldn't read an
exported tif from a .dng file in the raw convertor Lightroom.
The last really good version of Psp was version 9 and V10 was the beginning
of downhill.
Rose

Angus Johnson

Jul 17, 2009, 11:27:32 PM7/17/09
goofy wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 08:29:17 +1000, Angus Johnson
> <ang...@undisclode.loc> wrote:
>>
>> I have PSP Photo X2 12.01 and was able to disable the ProtexisLicensing service with a slight
>> modification of the above ...
>>
>> 1. Run services.msc to stop and set to manual the ProtexisLisensing service.
>> 2. Rename PsiService.exe to PsiService_bak.exe in C:\Windows\System32
>> 3. Rename PsiClient.dll to PsiClient_bak.dll in the folder where PSP is installed
>> 4. Copy PsiKey.dll from C:\Windows\System32 to the folder where PSP is installed and then rename it
>> PsiClient.dll
>> 5. Rename PsiKey.dll to PsiKey_bak.dll in C:\Windows\System32 (it's possible that this is unnecessary).
>
> If the psi service is missing or just nonfunctional, PSP will bomb.
> The files you renamed will be discovered missing, and PSP will just
> reach in the installation file directory, find the same valid files
> and copy them in the Corel directory, and PSP is back in business. I
> went through that many times.

No, that is not the case with my installation (ver 12.01). I've even rechecked this by rebooting my PC.
The ProtexisLisensing service is definitely not running and my PSP Photo X2 still runs just fine.

Bjorn S.

Jul 17, 2009, 11:34:17 PM7/17/09
par4thecourse wrote in
<kNWdnaDqN-vtofzX...@giganews.com>:

>According to the wiki:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corel_Paint_Shop_Pro
>
>Versions XI and X2 install a third party program named PSIService.exe, listed
>under Windows services as ProtexisLicensing. Written by Protexis, this runs
>in the background and collects licensing information. This program
>communicates with a remote host[citation needed] and is described in some
>posts as spyware.[citation needed] The Corel EULA does not reveal that
>installation of Version XI or X2 will result in the installation and
>continued background execution of this non-Corel program. Uninstalling XI or
>X2 will not uninstall PSIService.exe; and upon manually disabling the

>Protexis Licensing service, Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo will cease
>functioning, stating "This copy of Paint Shop Pro has been damaged or
>illegally modified. Please reinstall from your original source."

And for anyone interested, the company that makes and sells the
service claims it is not spyware:
http://www.protexis.com/support/support_PSIService.htm

Btw, why do you post with

I notice a few others here do that, say like "goofy" in this thread.
Why do you want to prevent others from finding your contributions when
searching the google archives? And particularly so when you post with
a name (handle) that is clearly not your real name (unless your
parents had a cruel sense of humor).

--
All the best,
Bjorn S.
- I post via <news.individual.net> and sometimes <news.broadpark.no>.

Message has been deleted

Ron May

Jul 18, 2009, 12:26:12 AM7/18/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:53:33 -0500, par4thecourse <par4thecourse>
wrote:

> Did you monitor the install with Zsoft's Uninstall?

No. I'm sure things have improved a lot since the days of Win9x, but
I quickly lost patience years ago with "snapshot" type utilities that
monitor every installation. I've even done away with restore points.
I use a combination of Revo Uninstaller and ERUNT to get the job done.
> There's usually a registry key that mentions the nagging application
file.
> Perhaps renaming the file or deleting the key will stop it (or cause a
> reinstallation as it could be embedded in the program code for the program to
> run).

That's usually a good approach, as is checking autoruns and also
seeing if anuthing new shows up in process explorer. This case turned
out to be different. Bjorn found the answer. It involved replacing
the text of a simple HTML file with a short script. See Message-ID:
<7cbcjsF...@mid.individual.net>

iNcReDuLoUs

Jul 18, 2009, 2:25:16 AM7/18/09
elaich <x@y.z> wrote:

> Seriously.
>
> http://apps.corel.com/lp/lexar/4157/index.html?trkid=lexarstarterpspx

Does the EULA mention any restrictions regarding Lexar customers?

Message has been deleted

Mike Dee

Jul 18, 2009, 7:08:50 AM7/18/09
Ron May <may...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:53:33 -0500, par4thecourse <par4thecourse>
> wrote:
>
>> Did you monitor the install with Zsoft's Uninstall?
>
> No. I'm sure things have improved a lot since the days of Win9x,
> but I quickly lost patience years ago with "snapshot" type
> utilities that monitor every installation. I've even done away
> with restore points. I use a combination of Revo Uninstaller and
> ERUNT to get the job done.
>> There's usually a registry key that mentions the nagging
>> application
> file.
>> Perhaps renaming the file or deleting the key will stop it (or
>> cause a reinstallation as it could be embedded in the program
>> code for the program to run).
>
> That's usually a good approach, as is checking autoruns and also
> seeing if anuthing new shows up in process explorer. This case
> turned out to be different. Bjorn found the answer. It involved
> replacing the text of a simple HTML file with a short script. See

Yes, that is the 'deal' you need to follow, to get rid of the nag each time you quit this prog.

But it does not get rid of the Protexis spyware which it installs (and does not uninstall, if
you decide not to keep PaintShop Pro X on your PC).

I'm hanging off on this one for now. - I can't see the point of installing it because of the
Protexis spyware.

I know... getting a 'commercial grade' app for free (albeit 4 or 5 years old) may be enticing.
But is it *freeware* and does it offer more than say an up-to-date Gimp which comes with no
added 'extras'?

--
dee

K3

Jul 18, 2009, 7:26:43 AM7/18/09
Ron May wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:32:49 -0400, "K3"
> <k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I'll have to create
>> a batch file to start the service, run the program, then stop the
>> service.
>
> If you get around to doing that, would you please post it here?

Here 'ya go... (works in XP Pro SP3)

Copy the following text into StartPSP.bat

@echo off
sc config ProtexisLicensing start= auto
sc start ProtexisLicensing
call "C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro X\Paint Shop Pro X.exe"
sc stop ProtexisLicensing
sc config ProtexisLicensing start= disabled
exit

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA
k3@(86_the_Spam)Maine.rr.com
http://home.maine.rr.com/k3

"Support Bacteria - It's the only culture some people have!"

Knot

Jul 18, 2009, 8:55:46 AM7/18/09

"K3" <k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com> wrote in message

> Copy the following text into StartPSP.bat
>
> @echo off
> sc config ProtexisLicensing start= auto
> sc start ProtexisLicensing
> call "C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro X\Paint Shop Pro X.exe"
> sc stop ProtexisLicensing
> sc config ProtexisLicensing start= disabled
> exit
>
> --
> Kendall F. Stratton III
> Fort Fairfield, Maine USA
> k3@(86_the_Spam)Maine.rr.com
> http://home.maine.rr.com/k3
>
> "Support Bacteria - It's the only culture some people have!"

Thank you VERY much!
In Vista the BAT file must be run in administrator mode.
Could that be incorporated in the BAT file as the option to set it in the
properties is greyed out?

Ron May

Jul 18, 2009, 9:43:17 AM7/18/09
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 07:26:43 -0400, "K3"
<k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com> wrote:

> Ron May wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:32:49 -0400, "K3"
> > <k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'll have to create
> >> a batch file to start the service, run the program, then stop the
> >> service.
> >
> > If you get around to doing that, would you please post it here?
>
> Here 'ya go... (works in XP Pro SP3)
>
> Copy the following text into StartPSP.bat
>
> @echo off
> sc config ProtexisLicensing start= auto
> sc start ProtexisLicensing
> call "C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro X\Paint Shop Pro X.exe"
> sc stop ProtexisLicensing
> sc config ProtexisLicensing start= disabled
> exit

Hey THANKS Kendall! Works perfect in my Vista Home Basic (UAC
disabled) as well. I played around with NET START and NET STOP and
gave up on it. I like the way it takes ProtexisLicensing from a
disabled state to Started - Automatic and back to disabled again on
exit. PROBLEM SOLVED!

K3

Jul 18, 2009, 9:46:14 AM7/18/09

I've been looking for a solution for this for my FIL's pc which runs Vista.
I setup a batch file to toggle his HOSTS file, but the batch file must be
run as Administrator. Any way to create a shortcut to run a batch file as
Administrator, without having to right-click and choose Run As
Administrator?

K3

Jul 18, 2009, 9:49:33 AM7/18/09
Ron May wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 07:26:43 -0400, "K3"
> <k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Ron May wrote:

>>> If you get around to doing that, would you please post it here?
>>
>> Here 'ya go... (works in XP Pro SP3)
>>
>> Copy the following text into StartPSP.bat
>>
>> @echo off
>> sc config ProtexisLicensing start= auto
>> sc start ProtexisLicensing
>> call "C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro X\Paint Shop Pro
>> X.exe" sc stop ProtexisLicensing
>> sc config ProtexisLicensing start= disabled
>> exit
>
> Hey THANKS Kendall! Works perfect in my Vista Home Basic (UAC
> disabled) as well. I played around with NET START and NET STOP and
> gave up on it. I like the way it takes ProtexisLicensing from a
> disabled state to Started - Automatic and back to disabled again on
> exit. PROBLEM SOLVED!

You're Welcome!

I wish that I knew how to hide the batch file window while PSP was running.
There must be some freeware utility (or command switch) to launch the batch
file "hidden".

Roger Hunt

Jul 18, 2009, 9:56:40 AM7/18/09
K3 <k...@maine.rr.com> wrote
Have you made a shortcut to the batch file, and configured the shortcut
properties to run minimised?
--
Roger Hunt

Ron May

Jul 18, 2009, 9:59:50 AM7/18/09
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 11:08:50 +0000 (UTC), Mike Dee
<mik...@emteedee.invalid> wrote:

> But it does not get rid of the Protexis spyware which it installs (and does not uninstall, if
> you decide not to keep PaintShop Pro X on your PC).

It can be manually uninstalled:

http://www.protexis.com/support/support_PSIService.htm

<Q>
How do I uninstall PSIService?

If you are certain that no applications using PSIService are still
installed on your system, and this service is still running, you can
remove it manually by following these instructions:

Remove the following registry entry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
Services\ProtexisLicensing]

Reboot your computer

Delete the following files:
%windir%\System32\PSIService.exe
%windir%\System32\PSIKey.exe
</Q>

"K3" came up with an excellent .BAT file to start the
ProtexisLicensing service, call PSP, then disable the "service" when
exiting PSP. See Message-ID:
<h3sbt0$g65$1...@news.eternal-september.org>

Ron May

Jul 18, 2009, 10:04:35 AM7/18/09
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 09:49:33 -0400, "K3"
<k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com> wrote:

> I wish that I knew how to hide the batch file window while PSP was running.
> There must be some freeware utility (or command switch) to launch the batch
> file "hidden".

That'd be icing on the cake, but easy enough to minimize the CMD
window, in my case to the systray if I bother to do so. Keeping the
window visible on the offhand chance that something goes south isn't
all that bad either.

Bjorn S.

Jul 18, 2009, 10:50:51 AM7/18/09
Ron May wrote in <icl36554pfk2a0bj8...@4ax.com>:

>On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 09:49:33 -0400, "K3"
><k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I wish that I knew how to hide the batch file window while PSP was running.
>> There must be some freeware utility (or command switch) to launch the batch
>> file "hidden".
>
>That'd be icing on the cake, but easy enough to minimize the CMD
>window, in my case to the systray if I bother to do so. Keeping the
>window visible on the offhand chance that something goes south isn't
>all that bad either.

Instead of minimizing it "by hand", make a shortcut to the batch file.
Right click the shortcut and enter the properties sheet. Change the
RUN parameter to "minimized". That way the command window will not
"flash in your face" when the batch is run, or stay visible while
waiting for the program you launched to finish, only visible in your
task bar. There are also other ways this editing of properties can
done, see http://commandwindows.com/configure.htm .

As for starting a service from the command line before you run a
program and stopping it after, alternatives, see
<http://commandwindows.com/sc.htm> and
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736564%28WS.10%29.aspx>

The "NET" command is only in XP-pro, not home AFAIK, "SC" is in both,
or if not you can find a download for it (in Win2k it was part of the
recourse kit I think). Starting and stopping services requires admin
right if I am not mistaken.

Somone asked about how to "run as admin" from a batch, see fx
Vista:
http://commandwindows.com/vista-tips.htm
http://www.vistaclues.com/run-a-batch-file-as-an-administrator/
XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/runas.mspx?mfr=true
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/442/xp-run-a-program-as-another-user-with-runas/

and...google for examples...

K3

Jul 18, 2009, 10:54:17 AM7/18/09
K3 wrote:
> I wish that I knew how to hide the batch file window while PSP was
> running. There must be some freeware utility (or command switch) to
> launch the batch file "hidden".

Problem Solved!

http://www.commandline.co.uk/chp/

Copy CHP.EXE to the same folder as the batch file you created (C:\Program
Files\Corel).

Create a shortcut to CHP.EXE in the same folder, then modify the shortcut
Target to read:

"C:\Program Files\Corel\chp.exe" StartPSP.bat

K3

Jul 18, 2009, 11:06:52 AM7/18/09
Bjorn S. wrote:
> Somone asked about how to "run as admin" from a batch, see fx
> Vista:
> http://commandwindows.com/vista-tips.htm
> http://www.vistaclues.com/run-a-batch-file-as-an-administrator/

http://www.vistaclues.com/run-a-batch-file-as-an-administrator/

If I remember right, "Run as Administrator" was greyed out.

Knot

Jul 18, 2009, 12:48:59 PM7/18/09

"Bjorn S." <bsus...@broadpark.no> wrote in message

> Somone asked about how to "run as admin" from a batch, see fx
> Vista:
> http://commandwindows.com/vista-tips.htm
> http://www.vistaclues.com/run-a-batch-file-as-an-administrator/

Thanks - that last one worked for me.

Bjorn S.

Jul 18, 2009, 1:28:06 PM7/18/09
<h3sodv$6sm$1...@news.eternal-september.org>:

>Bjorn S. wrote:
>> Somone asked about how to "run as admin" from a batch, see fx
>> Vista:
>> http://commandwindows.com/vista-tips.htm
>> http://www.vistaclues.com/run-a-batch-file-as-an-administrator/
>

>http://www.vistaclues.com/run-a-batch-file-as-an-administrator/
>
>If I remember right, "Run as Administrator" was greyed out.

I don't have Vista, but: Did you try to modify the properties when
logged on as Admin? I mean, to be able to grant (run as) admin rights,
you need to have them first, no?

K3

Jul 18, 2009, 1:34:04 PM7/18/09
Bjorn S. wrote:
> "K3" <k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com> wrote in
> <h3sodv$6sm$1...@news.eternal-september.org>:
>
>> Bjorn S. wrote:
>>> Somone asked about how to "run as admin" from a batch, see fx
>>> Vista:
>>> http://commandwindows.com/vista-tips.htm
>>> http://www.vistaclues.com/run-a-batch-file-as-an-administrator/
>>

>> http://www.vistaclues.com/run-a-batch-file-as-an-administrator/
>>
>> If I remember right, "Run as Administrator" was greyed out.
>
> I don't have Vista, but: Did you try to modify the properties when
> logged on as Admin? I mean, to be able to grant (run as) admin rights,
> you need to have them first, no?

I don't have Vista either and I can't remember if I logged in as
Administrator. I do know that his username had Admin privilages. Next time
I'm over there I'll try logging him off and log in as Administrator and
modify the shortcut.

Thanks!

Bjorn S.

Jul 18, 2009, 2:14:03 PM7/18/09
par4thecourse wrote in
<yYudnW5FEKwuGfzX...@giganews.com>:

>Bjorn S. <bsus...@broadpark.no> wrote in

>> Btw, why do you post with

>> I notice a few others here do that, say like "goofy" in this thread.
>> Why do you want to prevent others from finding your contributions when
>> searching the google archives? And particularly so when you post with
>> a name (handle) that is clearly not your real name (unless your
>> parents had a cruel sense of humor).
>>

>1) Unless my post is something that I think s/b archived (i.e. OS fixes,
>something that hasn't been or won't be repeated numerous times), I keep the
>archiving switch off.

Yes but what you consider trivial, others might consider vital, and
vice versa. If your post is way off-topic then I understand.
Consider how people post and search. Finding the right question is
often half the answer. For example, inexperienced users, which we all
are in some matters, often do not know how to properly frame their
questions, what context to provide, how much or how little. Put
differently, they (we) don't know exactly what is and is not relevant
for the problem at hand. But the same applies when we use search
engines. My rough and rudimentary understanding of a topic might
suffice for me to be able to find someone else's equally rough and
rudimentary understanding of an issue, but in *a thread* where other
posters were able to properly frame and/or answer the appropriate
question. If the poster with only a rough and rudimentary undertanding
of the topic had followed your line of reasoning, I would not have
found his post which - further lead me to the more precise and
relevant questions and answers that followed in the same thread. Also
consider that such posts (rough and rudimentary) might provide
relevant context for others in helping them understand the more
relevant and to-the-point posts in the same thread.

Anyway, in this case you offered a relevant link and quoted text that
no one else had offered so far in *this thread*.

>2) Why post with a "real" name and get spam mail? On online forums, you can
>use a screen name and be somewhat confident that your email address is not
>publicly seen. Is there really any difference in posting with a pseudonym?
>As long as the posts are cogent is what I consider important.

I did not mean to question your use of a screen name only. What I
meant was that I find it easier to understand someone having privacy
concerns (not "relevancy concerns") if posting under their real name,
and therefore the x-no-archive (say to avoid their boss tracking their
online behavior or interests), compared to when posting with a "screen
name" only. :)

> There's probably tens of thousands of posts here in this group that are
> archived, with "real names", and all they consist of is back and
> forth silly arguments between the participants.
> Wouldn't it have been better if those were "X-No-Archive: yes" posts?

Of course. (except in a few cases where you really would like to
expose a troll-poster who contradicts his own equally silly arguments
from last year <g>)

KeithS

Jul 18, 2009, 2:40:02 PM7/18/09
Ron May wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 11:08:50 +0000 (UTC), Mike Dee
> <mik...@emteedee.invalid> wrote:

<SNIP>

Some extremely helpful, courteous info given in this thread.
Thank you all very much. This is ACF at its best.

Jeff Lin Ton

Jul 18, 2009, 4:14:38 PM7/18/09
Raymond Staton wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:19:09 -0400, Franklin wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:09:36 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> Our society is breeding a generation of panty waisted sissy marys
>>> who quake at the thought pushing the envelope. Without anti lock
>>> brakes and GPS I couldn't find my collective arse to wipe off the
>>> dingle berries. Thank God I'll die politically correct with a full
>>> load of estrogen coursing through my manly 10" arms and smooth
>>> satiny 12" pencil neck.
>>
>> Well yeah, Monkey... See the Stall thread about all the Sunday Blue
>> sky cowboys who crap their satin panties when they get some buffet
>> let alone a full stall. I love them, the near-death feeling brings
>> *me* alive.
>>
>> I wear Vasque Sundowners most of the time. Look them up. You couldn't
>> afford them along side your taxpayer funded video games because even
>> so called enlightened societal structures know useless assholes like
>> you don't deserve that standard of living. Fact is, you own no such
>> thing for two reasons. You're a bloodsucker who doesn't rate them of
>> course, and you don't spend enough time standing upright to warrant
>> owning shoes in the first place.
>>
>> It's obvious someone struck a nerve, you actually do realize how much
>> alike you and Dudley Henriques are, and you're lying your ass off
>> trying to win back a bit of the dignity you never had.
>>
>> Sorry it didn't work out. ;)
>
> You know, you think you (and your puppets) way of
> ....uh...."writing"....is as a "big, badass on Usenet." Do you not
> realize It actually comes across more like white trailer trash?
> Someone of any intellect at all doesn't need to write things like.....
>
> " Especially when a leg humping twaddler like you steps in to be the
> pivot bitch. Welcome aboard sweetie. Do them teeth come out?"
>
> "Just stick your fat head between your legs and get a good whiff of
> your own ass."
>
> "Fuck you, everyone who smells as bad as you do, and the fucking horse
> that rode your ignorant ass through the door Frankie."
>
> NOBODY who talks and writes like that to prove themselves as a "big
> mean dog on Usenet" has an ounce of respect from anybody. It's a funny
> thing, go figure, there's just something about that white trailer
> trash talk that grates on the nerves of any one with a lick of sense.
>
> OK, I admit, I had to get the last word in. Your trailer talk just
> demands a decent white man's back hand.

Hello friend. I'm Jeff Lin Ton, Franklin's imaginary cousin.

Welcome to the Usenet, my fellow sockpuppet. You sound remarkably
confident for someone who's made only six posts. Are you one of Bear
Bottoms's socks?

http://preview.tinyurl.com/m5kjgn
http://preview.tinyurl.com/n5l7yg

--

Jeff Lin Ton
http://www.imageno.com/0rao6tpuma79pic.html

Message has been deleted

Craig

Jul 18, 2009, 5:03:20 PM7/18/09
On 07/18/2009 01:22 PM, George Orwell wrote:

> SHUT THE FUCK UP B.S.! Quit telling people what they MUST post and HOW
> they must post it - YOU ASSHOLE!

And please clip for brevity.

thx!
-Craig

Craig

Jul 18, 2009, 5:04:23 PM7/18/09

Seriously, that's what I'd been thinking too. Lost interest in the
actual app a while back but, man, this thread has been informative and
civil. Thoroughly enjoyable.

-Craig

Bjorn S.

Jul 18, 2009, 5:43:17 PM7/18/09
George Orwell, wrote in
<23309a78ade31ad1...@mixmaster.it>:

>SHUT THE FUCK UP B.S.! Quit telling people what they MUST post and HOW
>they must post it

So instead of providing reasons people can consider for them self,
I should simply tell them to shut the fuck up instead? But isn't that
like telling people what to do or not?

> - YOU ASSHOLE!

If you want to exchange obscenities I can not accommodate you, nor do
I think this is the appropriate place. I am sure someone here can
suggest a more appropriate group for you if you want to pursue your
obvious interest.

>Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this
>non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real
>reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an
>di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system
>Per maggiori informazioni |For more info
> https://www.mixmaster.it

Since you so convincingly live up to the "fuckwad theory"
http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2004/04/02/penny_arcades_greater_internet_fuckwad_theory/
I guess I should thank you for reminding me to add you to my killfile.

Ron May

Jul 19, 2009, 12:47:26 PM7/19/09
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:54:17 -0400, "K3"
<k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com> wrote:

> K3 wrote:
> > I wish that I knew how to hide the batch file window while PSP was
> > running. There must be some freeware utility (or command switch) to
> > launch the batch file "hidden".
>
> Problem Solved!
>
> http://www.commandline.co.uk/chp/
>
> Copy CHP.EXE to the same folder as the batch file you created (C:\Program
> Files\Corel).
>
> Create a shortcut to CHP.EXE in the same folder, then modify the shortcut
> Target to read:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Corel\chp.exe" StartPSP.bat

NICE FIND! I've never heard of it before, but I can think of lots of
ways to use it. A real keeper. Tiny compiled binary, released under
GPL with source in the same zip file.

Ron May

Jul 19, 2009, 1:15:25 PM7/19/09
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:47:26 -0500, Ron May <may...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:54:17 -0400, "K3"
> <k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > K3 wrote:
> > > I wish that I knew how to hide the batch file window while PSP was
> > > running. There must be some freeware utility (or command switch) to
> > > launch the batch file "hidden".
> >
> > Problem Solved!
> >
> > http://www.commandline.co.uk/chp/
> >
> > Copy CHP.EXE to the same folder as the batch file you created (C:\Program
> > Files\Corel).
> >
> > Create a shortcut to CHP.EXE in the same folder, then modify the shortcut
> > Target to read:
> >
> > "C:\Program Files\Corel\chp.exe" StartPSP.bat
>
> NICE FIND! I've never heard of it before, but I can think of lots of
> ways to use it. A real keeper. Tiny compiled binary, released under
> GPL with source in the same zip file.

It works perfectly. I put the shortcut to chp.exe in my Start >
Graphics folder, renamed it to PSP X and changed the icon to the main
one in "Paint Shop Pro X.exe". Click on the PSP X shortcut and the
entire thing is transparent.

K3

Jul 19, 2009, 6:09:29 PM7/19/09
Ron May wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:54:17 -0400, "K3"
> <k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> K3 wrote:
>>> I wish that I knew how to hide the batch file window while PSP was
>>> running. There must be some freeware utility (or command switch) to
>>> launch the batch file "hidden".
>>
>> Problem Solved!
>>
>> http://www.commandline.co.uk/chp/
>>

> NICE FIND! I've never heard of it before, but I can think of lots of
> ways to use it. A real keeper. Tiny compiled binary, released under
> GPL with source in the same zip file.

I love finding gems like this. It's definately a keeper.

K3

Jul 19, 2009, 6:10:27 PM7/19/09
Ron May wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:47:26 -0500, Ron May <may...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:54:17 -0400, "K3"
>> <k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com> wrote:

>>> Problem Solved!
>>>
>>> http://www.commandline.co.uk/chp/
>>>
> It works perfectly. I put the shortcut to chp.exe in my Start >
> Graphics folder, renamed it to PSP X and changed the icon to the main
> one in "Paint Shop Pro X.exe". Click on the PSP X shortcut and the
> entire thing is transparent.

That's great!

Mike Dee

Jul 20, 2009, 3:28:14 AM7/20/09
Ron May wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 11:08:50 +0000 (UTC), Mike Dee
> <mik...@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
>
>> But it does not get rid of the Protexis spyware which it installs (and
>> does not uninstall, if you decide not to keep PaintShop Pro X on your
>> PC).
>
> It can be manually uninstalled:
>
> http://www.protexis.com/support/support_PSIService.htm
>
> <Q>
> How do I uninstall PSIService?
>
> If you are certain that no applications using PSIService are still
> installed on your system, and this service is still running, you can
> remove it manually by following these instructions:
>
> Remove the following registry entry:
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Services\ProtexisLicensing]
>
> Reboot your computer

I've since downloaded, installed *and removed* "PaintShop Pro X"

Following the above "How do I uninstall PSIService", I removed that
entry.

The above advice fails to mention that there is also:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Protexis

HKEY_USERS\Software\Protexis

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PROTEXISLICENSING

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PROTEXISLICENSING

The last two located in ControlSet001 and 002 could not be deleted. I was
given the error message: "Cannot delete LEGACY_PROTEXISLICENSING: Error
while deleting key."

Great :-P :-( :-(

Yes, I am the machine's Admin.

> Delete the following files:
> %windir%\System32\PSIService.exe
> %windir%\System32\PSIKey.exe
> </Q>

Have deleted PSISerices.exe There was no PSIKey.exe created (I had
disabled networking while I installed PSP X and I'm guessing that it
needed to connect home before this got created).

> "K3" came up with an excellent .BAT file to start the ProtexisLicensing
> service, call PSP, then disable the "service" when exiting PSP. See

From what i gather from reading that bat file, is that it does not get rid
of Protexis, it just disables it after you exit PSP X. I would rather that
you could get rid of the spyware 100% - it doesn't look like you can, so
it is off my machine for good.

I'm still stuck with the unasked for registry LEGACY_PROTEXISLICENSING
entries. Thanks Corel!

--
dee

Mike Dee

Jul 20, 2009, 4:43:41 AM7/20/09
Bjorn S. wrote:

> par4thecourse wrote in
> <yYudnW5FEKwuGfzX...@giganews.com>:
>
>>Bjorn S. <bsus...@broadpark.no> wrote in
>
>>> Btw, why do you post with

>>> I notice a few others here do that, say like "goofy" in this thread.
>>> Why do you want to prevent others from finding your contributions when
>>> searching the google archives? And particularly so when you post with a
>>> name (handle) that is clearly not your real name (unless your parents
>>> had a cruel sense of humor).
>>>

>>1) Unless my post is something that I think s/b archived (i.e. OS fixes,
>>something that hasn't been or won't be repeated numerous times), I keep
>>the archiving switch off.
>

> Yes but what you consider trivial, others might consider vital...

[...]

> Anyway, in this case you offered a relevant link and quoted text that no
> one else had offered so far in *this thread*.
>
>>2) Why post with a "real" name and get spam mail? On online forums, you
>>can use a screen name and be somewhat confident that your email address
>>is not publicly seen. Is there really any difference in posting with a
>>pseudonym? As long as the posts are cogent is what I consider important.
>
> I did not mean to question your use of a screen name only. What I meant
> was that I find it easier to understand someone having privacy concerns
> (not "relevancy concerns") if posting under their real name, and therefore
> the x-no-archive (say to avoid their boss tracking their online behavior
> or interests), compared to when posting with a "screen name" only. :)
>
>> There's probably tens of thousands of posts here in this group that are
>> archived, with "real names", and all they consist of is back and forth
>> silly arguments between the participants. Wouldn't it have been better
>> if those were "X-No-Archive: yes" posts?
>
> Of course. (except in a few cases where you really would like to expose a
> troll-poster who contradicts his own equally silly arguments from last
> year <g>)

An *excellent* post, I only wish par4thecourse would follow up on it. I
also like to have the opportunity to to discover some *gem* of
information when there is nothing else available anywhere... and

If you ever come across an invaluable one tho' (and it happens to be an
quotes.

--
dee

Ron May

Jul 20, 2009, 7:48:30 AM7/20/09
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:28:14 +1000, Mike Dee
<mik...@emteedee.invalid> wrote:

> The last two located in ControlSet001 and 002 could not be deleted. I was
> given the error message: "Cannot delete LEGACY_PROTEXISLICENSING: Error
> while deleting key."

I ran across that type of problem before. You have to set permissions
for the keys first. This is about a different program, but the basic
procedure for setting registry key permissions should work:

http://www.laplink.com/support/kb/article.asp?ID=1055

Mike Dee

Jul 20, 2009, 8:12:57 AM7/20/09
Ron May wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:28:14 +1000, Mike Dee <mik...@emteedee.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> The last two located in ControlSet001 and 002 could not be deleted. I
>> was given the error message: "Cannot delete LEGACY_PROTEXISLICENSING:
>> Error while deleting key."
>
> I ran across that type of problem before. You have to set permissions for
> the keys first. This is about a different program, but the basic
> procedure for setting registry key permissions should work:
>
> http://www.laplink.com/support/kb/article.asp?ID=1055

Ye Gads!

Thanks Ron, I will give that a go shortly... but :-( :-(

Holey Temoley!!!!!!

--
dee

Jul 20, 2009, 11:07:18 AM7/20/09
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 18:43:41 +1000, Mike Dee wrote:

> I only wish par4thecourse would follow up on it. I
> also like to have the opportunity to to discover some *gem* of
> information when there is nothing else available anywhere... and

Here's a gem for you Freeware Fukktard, Christ didn't die from Nail
poisoning.

Idiot-aSSclown.
--
"Napalm sticks to kids!".
http://tr.im/1f7m

Mike Dee

Jul 21, 2009, 7:55:16 AM7/21/09
Mike Dee <mik...@emteedee.invalid> wrote:

Ron. Many thanks for that link. I now have a protexis free machine.
Sadly, I needed to remove PS Pro X to do it.

Those last instructions from the link you provided really did help in
getting rid of the most stubbon parts of that creepy-invasive-mal-
spyware-crap Corel's PS Pro X installed.

I'm fairly sure that info will also come in handy in other, similar
situations, so thanks very much.

--
dee

Ron May

Jul 21, 2009, 9:37:50 AM7/21/09
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:55:16 +0000 (UTC), Mike Dee
<emte...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> >> http://www.laplink.com/support/kb/article.asp?ID=1055

> Ron. Many thanks for that link. I now have a protexis free machine.
> Sadly, I needed to remove PS Pro X to do it.
>
> Those last instructions from the link you provided really did help in
> getting rid of the most stubbon parts of that creepy-invasive-mal-
> spyware-crap Corel's PS Pro X installed.
>
> I'm fairly sure that info will also come in handy in other, similar
> situations, so thanks very much.

Until I ran across the problem before with some other software (can't
remember what it was) it never occurred to me that one could be
blocked from deleting registry keys even when running as administrator
but apparently it's possible by restricting permissions. Fortunately
it's pretty easy to fix once you figure out the cause. Glad it solved
the problem for you, and as you say, it's handy to know for future
reference.

John Corliss

Jul 21, 2009, 8:16:00 PM7/21/09
-ALBASANI- elaich wrote:
> Seriously.
>
> http://apps.corel.com/lp/lexar/4157/index.html?trkid=lexarstarterpspx

Well, I gave it a try. It turned out to be classic nagware. Even though
I set the reminder for 30 days, it still did it every time I closed the
program.

Luckily, I used ERUNT, set a Restore Point and used Total Uninstall to
monitor the installation. When I got through using all those tools to
remove the program, there wasn't a trace of it left on my system.

Thanks for the link though, elaich, it was worth a try.